As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre Pax dinner

2456

Posts

  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Theres a hot dog stand in the entrance of Ikea.

    atray on
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User
    edited December 2007
    As far as surrounding a hot dog vendor goes, I think that's essentially what happened to the Crepe place on the outside of the convention center. I know I swarmed them in favor of Nutella goodness with my band of monkeys several times.

    Regretably, I missed pre-PAX dinner '07. Sucks that people got shorted, though. There was... a sushi place somewhere that charged a flat entrance rate at the door. We were going to go there one day, but I had bought myself a loaf of $4 bread to last for the day, and I didn't want to pay money to watch my friends eat. Seems like a place like that might be ideal.. Or, again, catering within an actual restaurant.

    SergeantAuberie on
  • AydrAydr Registered User
    edited December 2007
    As far as surrounding a hot dog vendor goes, I think that's essentially what happened to the Crepe place on the outside of the convention center. I know I swarmed them in favor of Nutella goodness with my band of monkeys several times.

    Regretably, I missed pre-PAX dinner '07. Sucks that people got shorted, though. There was... a sushi place somewhere that charged a flat entrance rate at the door. We were going to go there one day, but I had bought myself a loaf of $4 bread to last for the day, and I didn't want to pay money to watch my friends eat. Seems like a place like that might be ideal.. Or, again, catering within an actual restaurant.

    Todai?

    I love that place. It's about a $25 entry fee, though. It's on the top floor of Pacific Place. Good food.

    Aydr on
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I DIED IN THE ARMS OF A TOASTER WITH BREASTS
  • BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User
    edited December 2007
    Fuck yeah, I'll throw down cash in advance. As it gets closer, I have a feeling this thread will become increasingly more important.

    BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have to agree that we might need to think about doing some sort of pre paid paypal thing for the pre pax dinner.

    Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I want STEAK.... medium rare... mashed potatos... and maybe some peas or spinach... and i think some iced tea....

    on another note perhaps we we can rent a park like they do for company pick nicks...

    then get some one with like industrial size BBQ's to grill up 400+ lbs of cow for us?

    its gonna be august so an outdoor venue would be nice and wont have the same limitations on how many ppl can cram into a small building. Also not being confined to a small table would offer more of a walk around meet and greet environment.

    The park on the harbor where they have hemp fest comes to mind...

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • SoupsSoups Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Soularis wrote: »
    I want STEAK.... medium rare... mashed potatos... and maybe some peas or spinach... and i think some iced tea....

    on another note perhaps we we can rent a park like they do for company pick nicks...

    then get some one with like industrial size BBQ's to grill up 400+ lbs of cow for us?

    its gonna be august so an outdoor venue would be nice and wont have the same limitations on how many ppl can cram into a small building. Also not being confined to a small table would offer more of a walk around meet and greet environment.

    The park on the harbor where they have hemp fest comes to mind...

    Personally, I love this idea. I loves me some beef, and this would also be a great opportunity for us to be more loud and rowdy than at a fancy-shmancy restaurant that we could get kicked out of. Plus that park is really nice.

    Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soups wrote: »
    Soularis wrote: »
    I want STEAK.... medium rare... mashed potatos... and maybe some peas or spinach... and i think some iced tea....

    on another note perhaps we we can rent a park like they do for company pick nicks...

    then get some one with like industrial size BBQ's to grill up 400+ lbs of cow for us?

    its gonna be august so an outdoor venue would be nice and wont have the same limitations on how many ppl can cram into a small building. Also not being confined to a small table would offer more of a walk around meet and greet environment.

    The park on the harbor where they have hemp fest comes to mind...

    Personally, I love this idea. I loves me some beef, and this would also be a great opportunity for us to be more loud and rowdy than at a fancy-shmancy restaurant that we could get kicked out of. Plus that park is really nice.

    This is a really fucking awesome idea add a keg and it is epic.

    TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User
    edited January 2008
    keg would be outa the question. No alcohol on park premises here in WA state. That wouldn't necessarily prevent you from having it but any violations fall on the person holding the beer and any unopened containers would have to be stored in a car off the property so no blame falls on the coordinators... not that i support this idea nor any of you... >.>

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Soups wrote: »
    Soularis wrote: »
    I want STEAK.... medium rare... mashed potatos... and maybe some peas or spinach... and i think some iced tea....

    on another note perhaps we we can rent a park like they do for company pick nicks...

    then get some one with like industrial size BBQ's to grill up 400+ lbs of cow for us?

    its gonna be august so an outdoor venue would be nice and wont have the same limitations on how many ppl can cram into a small building. Also not being confined to a small table would offer more of a walk around meet and greet environment.

    The park on the harbor where they have hemp fest comes to mind...

    Personally, I love this idea. I loves me some beef, and this would also be a great opportunity for us to be more loud and rowdy than at a fancy-shmancy restaurant that we could get kicked out of. Plus that park is really nice.

    This idea is good. Of course, the only problem being how do we keep track of who payed? Its a park, anyone could just walk in and eat our meat!

    Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • SoupsSoups Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Sell special tickets for each chunk of beef, then have someone check them and mark them when they go up to the grill/serving table thing?

    Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User
    edited January 2008
    well i was thinking you would have to pay at least a month in advance like 20 bucks per person.
    someone would have to make a database. each person is designated by a number perhaps. sent an email. the email would need to be printed out and presented on arrival. where someone at the gate would check them off and stamp their hand. people with the stamp have access to the food area.

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If it's a state park it's legal. From Parks and Recreation site:

    "Alcoholic beverages are permitted only in designated campground and picnic areas."

    Seattle parks do not allow alcohol though.

    Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User
    edited January 2008
    well closest state park with day use facilitys (aka company picnick stuff) is St Edwards State Park

    Map from PAX

    was also thinking that instead of a database we could just have a list of paypal transaction numbers and amount donated. they could print out their receipt from paypal and arrive with any guests and be marked off that way.

    it would save someone the effort of making a database and would be harder for someone to just alter a few numbers on an email and find a valid food stamp thing i guess....

    Saltwater State park is closer and I was with a company that was gonna have a picnick there once but when i looked at them they were not offering it on their website. so eventually we might want to give them a call and find out for sure.

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • liasaliasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Saltwater State park has some picnic tables for groups, but I don't think they really have anything for a group as large as you might have with the pre-PAX dinner. I'd love to have it there because it's right down the street from my house, but realistically it would take about an hour bus ride or a 20 to 30 minute drive from the convention center.

    liasa on
  • SoularisSoularis Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Google maps says 15 mins to saltwater state park and i think it was 25 to the other one i listed...

    From pax that is...

    Personally I think the Myrtle Edwards Park would be the best solution. but then agian we had that request for alcohol...

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    You know, there's really no reason to drink at dinner, since there are people talking about going on a bar walk after dinner, right?

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm with Moe here, we don't need to drink while eating. We can do it afterwards! Or before for that matter.

    Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Moe, are you actually suggesting that PAX-goers should drink less or just more in a shorter time frame? ;-)

    Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    I'm just suggesting they don't have to drink during dinner because they're will be plenty of drinking going on after dinner.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I am all for this and think we should start planning out the details soon as reservations of these kind have a better chance of success with 6+ months lead time. One thing that does need to be taken into consideration is the weather. Even if it has hardly raid during the last four years I have attended PAX I would hate to see this event being washed away.

    As for the means to track those who paid why not send out wrist bands in the mail before pax? There will always be douche bags why will try to get something for nothing but for the most part this community seems to be rather outstanding in being fair. And even if a couple get in for free what is 2 or 3 in 300? Maybe will end up converting them with our massive awesomeness.

    So I think what needs to happen is to find two suitable locations that can handle 500+ people as well as contact a few catering shops to find out how much it would cost to set up a bbq for this event. I personally do not live in Seattle so some of the planning is hard to do, but would be willing to help pay for the security deposit as this is one of those events I am eagerly awaiting.

    Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bambooza wrote: »
    I am all for this and think we should start planning out the details soon as reservations of these kind have a better chance of success with 6+ months lead time. One thing that does need to be taken into consideration is the weather. Even if it has hardly raid during the last four years I have attended PAX I would hate to see this event being washed away.

    Umbrella and/or a light jacket. Judging by last year's weather you won't need either, but bringing something easily portable to repel water might be a good idea.

    Besides, if you're prepared for something bad to happen then it more than likely won't happen. ;)

    Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oddly enough its been sunny *every* single pax.

    I think the monday after in 05 it got cloudy and rained that night.

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Actually that was Sunday in 05. PAX was already over, and Spook and I went to Fatburger to eat and got caught in the rain on the walk back. He asked me if we should stop and wait it out, I said we should just keep going (the two of us had run through worse here in Cleveland). We made it back to the Doubletree only moderately soaked, and spent the evening drying out and drinking our last two beers of the weekend.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Some local PAXers could keep one of those party tent things (they only have a roof) in their car to offset any wet weather. If no one has them, I know that there are places where they can be rented.

    http://www.rowaneventservices.com/


    As far as the meat goes. We need to stuff a cow with pork, 2 kinds of cheese and ranch dressing then batter him and flash fry him. I take all my cooking ideas from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

    mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Where the hell are turtle and Astyonix?

    Shade on
    I make weird crap and put it on the internet!
    youtube.com/user/justamusingmyself

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/cannoncore
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Probably taking care of their >1 year old child.

    I'm not sure if they'll have the time to organize the dinner this year or not, as I haven't seen them around either.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    _______moe wrote: »
    Probably taking care of their >1 year old child.

    I'm not sure if they'll have the time to organize the dinner this year or not, as I haven't seen them around either.

    Well, then lets figure out who will be helping/ organizing this shidig. I'm in of course how about you moe?

    Shade on
    I make weird crap and put it on the internet!
    youtube.com/user/justamusingmyself

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/cannoncore
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    I'm at a distanced disadvantage to do more than be a consultant. But I can consult.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • SoularisSoularis Registered User
    edited January 2008
    I would be willing to call some places and inquire about various information and maybe even some other stuff. I don't really want to be responsible for the money issues though.

    Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Well, at this moment, information is more valuable than money, so any information anybody can garner would be appreciated. I think the most important thing we should look into is a place that is willing to house 200+ people in a buffet setting for a reasonable price per plate and reasonable deposit. Get some pricing options and a cutoff date (as in latest date to reserve the place) and post them here.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got the Seattle Parks and Recreation number. I'll give a call tomorrow to figure out what would need to do. also if we did it on Pier 62 and 63(thats the park). we might need to set up wind breakers against the open water. also, a fuck ton of benches to sit.

    EDIT: So I called my parents for advice(They do this for a living and they do it well) and holy crap theres a lot of work that goes into it. The good news is that if we have a hotel do a buffet and do the food through them, they'll most likely throw in the rental of a ballroom for free(apparently thats standard for high attendance). They shot down the park idea though, saying that we would need benches, tables cloth, forks, knifes, drinks kept cold, food kept hot(which apparently is hard to do outside and requires expensive equipment), and that any catering place we tried for an out door event would be insanely expensive for staffing. Not to mention permits for the park use and any fees that go along with that. oh and don't forget being pooped on by zerging seagulls.

    Shade on
    I make weird crap and put it on the internet!
    youtube.com/user/justamusingmyself

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/cannoncore
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If it is going to be bigger than last year, why not rent a meeting hall and a catering service. Have people prepay though paypal. With any luck you should get enough early payers to get a deposit down on both. Leave the reg open until about a month before PAX and charge at the door for extras. That would do away with the whole "mass of people at a small restaurant" thing and if the right venue was selected there would be enough room for everyone at once. Just a suggestion.

    That_Guy on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    If it is going to be bigger than last year, why not rent a meeting hall and a catering service. Have people prepay though paypal. With any luck you should get enough early payers to get a deposit down on both. Leave the reg open until about a month before PAX and charge at the door for extras. That would do away with the whole "mass of people at a small restaurant" thing and if the right venue was selected there would be enough room for everyone at once. Just a suggestion.

    you just recaped the entire thread.

    Shade on
    I make weird crap and put it on the internet!
    youtube.com/user/justamusingmyself

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/cannoncore
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shade could we hire your parents or get them to consult us on this?

    Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bambooza wrote: »
    Shade could we hire your parents or get them to consult us on this?
    I can't afford them and their my parents!
    Plus I don't want to have them there on my vacation.

    Shade on
    I make weird crap and put it on the internet!
    youtube.com/user/justamusingmyself

    http://steamcommunity.com/id/cannoncore
  • Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User
    edited January 2008
    Shade wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    If it is going to be bigger than last year, why not rent a meeting hall and a catering service. Have people prepay though paypal. With any luck you should get enough early payers to get a deposit down on both. Leave the reg open until about a month before PAX and charge at the door for extras. That would do away with the whole "mass of people at a small restaurant" thing and if the right venue was selected there would be enough room for everyone at once. Just a suggestion.

    you just recaped the entire thread.

    I thought that it was decided that that idea was MUCH too expensive.

    Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Foxy_Roxy wrote: »
    Shade wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    If it is going to be bigger than last year, why not rent a meeting hall and a catering service. Have people prepay though paypal. With any luck you should get enough early payers to get a deposit down on both. Leave the reg open until about a month before PAX and charge at the door for extras. That would do away with the whole "mass of people at a small restaurant" thing and if the right venue was selected there would be enough room for everyone at once. Just a suggestion.

    you just recaped the entire thread.

    I thought that it was decided that that idea was MUCH too expensive.

    Wow. thread was TL:DR, but you were correct. By my calculations there might be as many as 350 people attending this year. Figuring $25 to $30 bucks a head that is between $7000 and $10,500. Assuming we get enough people to prepay it could be doable.

    That_Guy on
    steam_sig.png
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Or you could get another group of douchebags that run for the door after they're done eating.

    Just sayin.

    leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Not if the people who don't prepay have to pay at the door before they eat instead of after.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.