As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On]Battle for Wesnoth. Open Source FE+AW.

ValkunValkun Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
wesnoth-logo.jpg

What is Battle for Wesnoth?
Battle for Wesnoth is an open source (IE free) multiplayer turn based hex strategy game that has the style and polish of a professionally made game. It's gameplay is a cross between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars as you recruit units to fight your opponents who can be upgraded to different units with some fighting experience. Make strategic use of your forces to bypass the enemy's line to steal towns and attack his leader directly.

Did you say it's free?
Yes.

Great, where do I get it?
Get it here. Remember to grab the Development version and not the Stable version. Unless there are major problems, we'll be sticking with the latest and most feature rich releases.

Screenshots:
Rebels
9d6d90e1e4ff01455a26e4f297081ff4.JPG

Northerers VS Undead
ee41b53eb3d7e247e29612313211b790.JPG

12 Single Player Campaigns
67366529a45bbb4d5606265c8c1720f0.JPG

South Guard Campaign
47d79f81035656b2d0526af0e01b4000.JPG

Features(taken from Wesnoth.org):
  • Build up a formidable fighting force, starting from a single leader and a small amount of gold.
  • Over 200 unit types in six major factions, all with distinctive abilities, weapons and spells.
  • Experienced units gain powerful new abilities as they advance.
  • Several multi-player options available, including internet play.
  • Scores of different custom-designed maps, and unlimited random maps.
  • Hundreds of campaign scenarios available for download via a simple in-game procedure.
  • 'Fog of war' feature available for a true test of generalship.
  • Sophisticated mark-up language lets advanced users make their own maps, factions or campaigns.
  • Excellent language support – 35 different languages currently available.
  • GNU/Linux, Windows, MacOSX, BeOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, AmigaOS4, OS/2 & eComStation compatible.

The Factions(Default):
22b1ada5f5cf901b799182acfc305cad.JPG
Humans
Being lawful, the humans fight best during the day with better than average ability to fight in the open thanks to their mounted units.

Starting Units:
Bowman
Cavalryman
Fencer
Heavy Infantryman
Horseman
Mage
Mermaid Fighter
Spearman

54a69e56dcfcf91e71dc66f84ce3519a.JPG
Elves
Elves have the strongest defense while staying in forests with the best ranged non-magical attacks in the game. All but one of their units have both a ranged and melee attack, making it hard to find weaknesses to exploit against them.

Starting Units:
Elvish Archer
Elvish Fighter
Elvish Scout
Elvish Shaman
Mage
Merman Hunter
Wose

a4e1eca0be8dae843683b0da2de7e6cc.JPG
Orcs
A chaotic faction, the orcs favor the night when they can hit the hardest. With a number of hard hitting melee units, the Northerners make up for their lack of magical ability through the use of assassins (poison) and their archers which have a special fire based attack.

Starting Units:
Goblin Spearman
Naga Fighter
Orcish Archer
Orcish Assassin
Orcish Grunt
Troll Whelp
Wolf Rider

a9ba45d26c4307eddf2f396ebf18e292.JPG
Undead
Undead can be incredibly frustrating if you have the wrong units to fight them. With very high resistances to blade, piercing, and cold, the Undead's skeletons can easily shirk off damage from many units while hitting hard themselves. Not the mention the rest of the army which can drain, magic, and poison its opposition with ease.

Starting Units:
Dark Adept
Ghost
Ghoul
Skeleton
Skeleton Archer
Vampire Bat
Walking Corpse

cecf9521565e068cbd47c17b83af7702.JPG
Dwarves and Bandits
The Knalgan Alliance is a dual natured faction with hard hitting, slow, mountain loving dwarves mixed with evasive, quick moving, humans. Players should especially be wary of the Gryphon Rider who can move vast distances over rough terrain while still managing to hit hard.

Starting Units:
Dwarvish Fighter
Dwarvish Guardsman
Dwarvish Thunderer
Dwarvish Ulfserker
Footpad
Gryphon Rider
Poacher
Thief

ccdbb1a21584e769c7a8f9e5a3a56338.JPG
Drakes
Having one of the lowest evasions on all terrain, the Drakes rely on hitting hard and making use of Saurians to hold the line. Like the elves, most of the units have both a ranged and melee attack making assaulting the Drakes a risky proposition.

Starting Units:
Drake Burner
Drake Clasher
Drake Fighter
Drake Glider
Saurian Augur
Saurian Skirmisher

I'd advise new players to at least play through the tutorial (which isn't nearly as boring as most tutorials tend to be) to get a grasp of the various mechanics involved with the game.

You can find us on the 1.3.12 official server, just look for players with the PA tag.

Doubles Tournament

Valkun on

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This appears to be epic. Ill have to try it this weekend. Drakes ftw.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember downloading this, and then not liking it for some reason, but I can't remember why. Might as well give it another shot.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd be interested in this if someone were to have a relatively fun game with me. I'm not too keen on turn based strategy in the "serious" sense, because I never get interested enough to invest time in good strategies and whatnot. A light hearted "learning" game, though, would be right up my alley.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Sure, if you hop onto Vent I'll play a game with you. I haven't really played it all that much because of finals.

Valkun on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hu-buh?

Well I suppose I will have to look into this. I do enjoy strategy games.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is rather fun. :)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not to good yet, but its hard to pick and choose which games to play these days. My brother might want to get in on this action, I'll ask him.

I'll be leaving for a month, so when I'm back in January, I'll game on for sure.

Sueve on
  • Options
    SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like this game, but am really bad at it.

Skulk on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Skulk wrote: »
    I like this game, but am really bad at it.

I agree. I would also be interested in playing some learning games myself.

Igel on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really like this game, but got tired of the single player campaigns that were either too easy, or just frustratingly hard where you had to memorize enemy locations and know exactly what units to send. For multiplayer though I'm all up for some games.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've overlooked this game many times on "free games" lists. Now that I've seen some proper screenshots and read a good description, methinks I'll be downloading.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd be up for some multiplayer games inbetween studying. Elves + forest = silly.

Are people using vent or...?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, it'll probably be best if we all meet up on the Vent server. I'll be home in about an hour if anyone wants to play. Just had an interesting four player game on a tiny tiny map. You know it's small when you can slip heavy infantry through the front line and kill the enemy leader.

Valkun on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll probably be best if we all meet up on the Vent server. I'll be home in about an hour if anyone wants to play. Just had an interesting four player game on a tiny tiny map. You know it's small when you can slip heavy infantry through the front line and kill the enemy leader.

Alright, I'm ready whenever. Are you on the PA vent?

Sueve on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wesnoth is awesome. I haven't played it in years, so I imagine it's even improved since its early versions (the early versions already having been awesome in their own right).

Kudos to the mention. I'm going to go reinstall it now and get to 'Nothin.

EDIT: Damn, you can even compile and run it on a Linux PDA. That's butter.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm on Vent and I have no clue what I should be doing

I assume Ivory Tower is just the regular chatting area but oh god there are people in there and what if they judge me i am so afraid D:
    Honestly though, I have no idea what the usual convention is for this sort of thing. Halp.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm in Vent now with CmdPrompt, we'll take over Game On 7 just for the hell of it.

Valkun on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn I need a mic so fucking bad.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i was just in there for a bit...but then i remembered i have the stable version, and i'm a bit tired and i've played all of one campaign mission in my life...so ill play with you guys later.

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    We're not actually using mics, we're mostly chatting in game. Just join the server so we know you're here.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Our game got bugged out, so we're in a short break.

Join join join, the more the merrier! :D

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm playing the tutorial right now. This is awesome.

How do you do a ranged attack from more than 1 tile away? Or can you?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You can't. It's different then most games and takes a bit of getting used to.

Up to 4 players now!

Valkun on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hell, I love Wesnoth, count me in.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Good game F-Zero, you did pretty damn well for a first time player.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

You cornered me in the end there though D:

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn, just wasted the afternoon getting back into Wesnoth.

I still don't think I'm quite ready to play multiplayer yet though. I don't have enough vasoline for the punishment I'd inevitably take.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm just playing it for the first time. Would multiplayer be a good idea at all at this point or should I finish the campaigns? I'm done the tutorial and have a grasp of how it works.

Also, should I get in Vent even though I have no mic?

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

You cornered me in the end there though D:

I had a better economy, he who controls more towns can afford to recruit an entire Wose army in one turn.

Re you other two: The campaigns are very long and honestly not all that great, finishing the tutorial and a couple of maps as your army of choice will suffice to get you started for multiplayer. Hell, it only takes one or two multiplayer games to figure stuff out even if you don't play any singleplayer at all. And yes, you should join Vent even if you don't have a mic.

Edit: Except I think everyone else is done playing.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm just playing it for the first time. Would multiplayer be a good idea at all at this point or should I finish the campaigns? I'm done the tutorial and have a grasp of how it works.

Also, should I get in Vent even though I have no mic?
    I didn't bother with the campaigns and just played a bit against the AI. Most people are at about the same point you are, so I'd say yes, go for multiplayer.
    I did pretty terrible in my first two rounds but won our last game, so you should be fine.

And yes, we were using the games chat mainly.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    just downloaded this and played a few missions in one of the campaigns. I love it so far. I'll hop in vent and try some multiplayer tomorrow.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nastyman wrote: »
    just downloaded this and played a few missions in one of the campaigns. I love it so far. I'll hop in vent and try some multiplayer tomorrow.

I'm going to echo this. I had downloaded it a couple of months ago, and I just jumped straight into a mission, didn't know what was going on, and gave up. Now I've played the tutorial and the first mission of The South Guard, I'm enjoying it.

I don't have a mic, but I should be able to play a game of this tonight (Well, it'll probably be mid afternoon for you guys).

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Not Uncle DaveNot Uncle Dave Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gentlemen, you will fall before my drakes this weekend.

Not Uncle Dave on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am interested in this .. downloading for play tonight.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    CmdPrompt, TrevorGoodchild, Igel, and I all got into a four player free for all. It didn't end up too well for us Loyalists in the corners D:. Fighting the elves, at night, in a big forest, perhaps not the best tactical decision I've ever made.

Does anyone else experience desync issues when playing with non-random maps?

Valkun on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    boo urns for no recent linux builds :| oh well downloading the windows version now and i'll be up for playing all night...in 6 hours when i get home from workD:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So, anyone up for some games? :D

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You know it, just got on myself. This time I won't fall to your pointy elveness! :x

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm down. Or up, whatever.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd be up for some games.

EDIT: Oops, looks like I need to download the newest version.

Skulk on