As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The man with the Golden [Chat]

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    Guys it's Church, you're not going to win.

There's no winning or losing. Just more lost respect for Chuch.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I was classically trained, so I can't really improvise. Like, at all.

I'll fucking Chopin the shit out of you, though.

Come to think of it, the Stone Ponies became the Eagles over the phone...

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    15 years of Piano? Nice. Totally outclasses my....2 months now? Of bass.

Really, you don't have to be Jaco or anything to play pop music. Know the scales, know the keys, you're good.

Yeah, some songs are really easy. Hell, there are some full blown songs I can pretty much already play. However, settling for mediocrity aint my cup of tea, and I lack any sort of real knowledge of music theory, but the lessons should rectify that. I might take a couple music courses next semester too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There are people comparing deer to dogs here? Seriously?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not saying the entire song is the same. Just the melody of "Like the coldest winter chill" sounds very similar to the opening of the vocal line to Heart Shaped Box. After I noticed that, I just kept thinking Heart Shaped Box. It doesn't help that, in that song at least, the band sounds like a pop-ier version of Nirvana.
    They're contemporaries, and before you get it twisted, Nirvana is nothing but a more marketable version of the Pixies.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »
    Although I did go to a bull fight in Spain and I have to admit it was one of the most profound experiences of my life. Nothing short of life-changing, that.

I heard those are violent. I don't think I would go to one.
    They are violent. A man murders a bull by driving a sword between its shoulder blades directly through its heart (that is if he does it right).

Still, you'd be missing out if you never went.

Don't they get impaled by spears first?

On the plus side, the bull does have a chance to gore the dude. Also, they eat it afterwards.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Guys it's Church, you're not going to win.

I'm not Church.

I win by that fact alone.

Hmm I never thought of that.

yay everyone wins *except Church*.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well then you should know better.
    May I ask why?

I'm honestly interested, not trying to be a jerk or anything. I've never had any music lessons in my life and I'm curious as to what point it is you're making.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Really, you don't have to be Jaco or anything to play pop music. Know the scales, know the keys, you're good.

Yeah, some songs are really easy. Hell, there are some full blown songs I can pretty much already play. However, settling for mediocrity aint my cup of tea, and I lack any sort of real knowledge of music theory, but the lessons should rectify that. I might take a couple music courses next semester too.

I can probably teach you a lot of theory. My piano teacher was pretty anal about learning it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Although I did go to a bull fight in Spain and I have to admit it was one of the most profound experiences of my life. Nothing short of life-changing, that.

I heard those are violent. I don't think I would go to one.
    They are violent. A man murders a bull by driving a sword between its shoulder blades directly through its heart (that is if he does it right).

Still, you'd be missing out if you never went.

On the plus side, the bull does have a chance to gore the dude. Also, they eat it afterwards.

I heard if the matador sucks it could be a long death for the bull.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heaven Beside You it is. Thanks!

That sounds much too much like Heart Shaped Box.
    I gather you're not a music major.

Technically no, though I did attend an arts magnet for music in highschool and had violin lessons for 8 years.

I mean I can hear the similarities but I do like Heart Shaped Box, so it's okay.

I love Heart Shaped Box. I'm just saying the chorus sounds like it was stolen :P

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Church wrote: »
    It's an animal. It's no different than fucking with a character in a video game. It isn't a person. Why should I care?
    Holy shit, I just lost what ever respect I had for you. I mean, internet respect and all, but still.

There is something wrong with you.

Or, maybe my upbringing had me instilled with different values than yours concerning the rights and worth of animals?

Yeah? Maybe you shouldn't use that as a crutch.

If you understand that you think differently because of your upbringing, you aren't confined by it.

Yeah, and I'm not confined by it and I'm not using it as a crutch. I don't have any desire to go against what I've been taught. Again: Why is it okay to kill an animal but not okay to hurt one? I assume because hurting things is bad?

Well why is it okay to kill an animal but not okay to kill a human? There is no reason, that's just what we accept as truth.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »

I would never torture either, though I've been involved in the death of quite a few of the former.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

They put basically big metal hooks in the bull first.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's an animal. It's no different than fucking with a character in a video game. It isn't a person. Why should I care?

Why should you care about people, since they're animals?

Because people are people. Humans are humans. Animals are property.

See and you aren't even explaing why animals are property, is it because we are superior to animals?

They're bought and sold, which pretty much makes them property by definition. If you can own it, it's property.

But what about wild animals? Or just a stray dogs that don't have any owner. Just because you can buy some animals, do you extend that owning of property to other animals aswell?

Resources that are unallocated are still resources. If someone loses a book, or throws it away, it doesn't stop being property, it's just no longer owned.

Truly wild animals - wolves and whatnot - are the property of whoever owns the land they're on at any given point, unless they're protected, in which case they're the property of the government, as are any animals whose hunting is regulated.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Oh yeah, of course, that's what experience gives you though. You can hold your own as soon as you can play a C scale at a quarter note pace. After that, it's just about fucking around with the strings on your way to virtuosity.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Holy shit, I just lost what ever respect I had for you. I mean, internet respect and all, but still.

Or, maybe my upbringing had me instilled with different values than yours concerning the rights and worth of animals?

If you understand that you think differently because of your upbringing, you aren't confined by it.

Yeah, and I'm not confined by it and I'm not using it as a crutch. I don't have any desire to go against what I've been taught. Again: Why is it okay to kill an animal but not okay to hurt one? I assume because hurting things is bad?

Well why is it okay to kill an animal but not okay to kill a human? There is no reason, that's just what we accept as truth.

If you can't tell the difference between killing an animal for food and hurting and animal just because you want to well... we can't help you, maybe go see some help.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I would never torture either, though I've been involved in the death of quite a few of the former.

I have no problem with that.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I can probably teach you a lot of theory. My piano teacher was pretty anal about learning it.

I'm down, you got like a facebook or something too?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Well then you should know better.
    May I ask why?

I'm honestly interested, not trying to be a jerk or anything. I've never had any music lessons in my life and I'm curious as to what point it is you're making.
    The two songs are just really obviously different to me and I'm teasing mainly. The instrumentation is similar (as it is in most rock music) but the melodies are pretty obviously varied, the vocal lines don't line up at all, and the later stages of the song vary greatly. But I mean I guess it rang a bell with Irene, so there you have it.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007

That's my point, why does one have more value than the other?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm not saying the entire song is the same. Just the melody of "Like the coldest winter chill" sounds very similar to the opening of the vocal line to Heart Shaped Box. After I noticed that, I just kept thinking Heart Shaped Box. It doesn't help that, in that song at least, the band sounds like a pop-ier version of Nirvana.
    They're contemporaries, and before you get it twisted, Nirvana is nothing but a more marketable version of the Pixies.

God, I hate it when you're so very, very right.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Really? By my own admission I'm only familiar with Nirvana singles, never listened to an album, but I didn't really see a similarity between the two bands. of course I just picked up the pixies about a month ago.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

You have about as much experience playing bass as I do writing music, so don't feel bad. :P

What kind of music are you writing?

I have one song, and it needs a lot of work.

Dare I post it for all of D&D to mock and ridicule?

I would be so all over that stuff. You have the music written, or just the lyrics?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

If you can't tell the difference between killing an animal for food and hurting and animal just because you want to well... we can't help you, maybe go see some help.

Way to dodge the question. Why can't I kill a human for food?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll admit, I enjoy picking off birds with my pellet gun. Is this wrong? Maybe. Will I ever stop? Probably not.

Even though I still would never torture a cat, or most animals for that matter, I don't have the moral ground to stand on to tell anyone else it's wrong.

Like it or not, we are above them on the food chain. It is our privilege, not our duty, to let them live peacefully.

I'm generally against needless pain. I'm also against the unnecessary termination of sentience. These find shooting birds in a greyish neutral area, but staged animal fights barbaric.

I can respect that, and even agree. When it comes to deciding what is necessary or not, though, sometimes perspective means everything. When you've got a dozen large birds eating your cow's food, costing you an unknown amount of money, to me it becomes necessary because grain isn't cheap. Although I'm sure others would disagree with me.

Does having a logical reason really make it any better, though?

MrBallbaggins on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah, of course, that's what experience gives you though. You can hold your own as soon as you can play a C scale at a quarter note pace. After that, it's just about fucking around with the strings on your way to virtuosity.

Man, you're one of those people that can make people think they can achieve anything, eh?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Get what twisted? I've never heard of the Pixies before, I'll have to look into that.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Way to dodge the question. Why can't I kill a human for food?

Well isn't cannibalism against the law?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'm down, you got like a facebook or something too?

I'm playing Go on it as we speak.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Cannibalism is something that is taboo to the entire planet. Very few things will eat their own kind. I'm not going to kill a human to eat him.

Most humans don't do that and neither do most animals.

We kill and eat animals for the same reason an animal would kill and eat us.

That doesn't give us the right to torture something.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Yeah, they gouge them in the back of the neck to weaken their neck muscles and then stick six small darts into the same area before the matador ever comes face to face with them. There's an art to wounding it without completely weakening it, but at the same time insuring the matador's safety.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Get what twisted? I've never heard of the Pixies before, I'll have to look into that.

You should. That way you can get all pretentious when people bring up Nirvana.

It's one of my own personal favorite pastimes.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Like really, eating other humans, Church your getting even more weird.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have no problem with that.

Personally, while it's not that realistic, I wonder if it would be healthy if everyone who consumed meat had to take part in the process at least once in their lives, to acknowledge and understand the significance of the chunk of stuff on their plate, and have some concern for the life of the animal they're pouring A-1 over.

If nothing else, it's nice to be a predator and not wholly a scavenger.

--

Cannibalism isn't automatically unethical. It's just very stupid. Like consensual incest, or unsanitary kinks.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »

That's my point, why does one have more value than the other?

Easy answer? Culture. And no, I don't think people killing dogs are uncultured, other cultures have no problem with it. But as it were, in most western cultures dogs were needed for other things than being eaten or killed in fights. It's practically the same thing as just shooting horses would be an immoral thing for many people, as with cows in some countries.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well isn't cannibalism against the law?

You have no way of vindicating your own beliefs against mine, so you resort to equating morality with legality. Classy.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I heard if the matador sucks it could be a long death for the bull.
    Yeah, if the matador does poorly they have to take a small knife and stab them right at the base of the spinal column, right below the skull. One bull I saw get killed walked around, fell over, got back up, walked around some more, before someone finally came out and knifed it. It took about 90 seconds I'd say for that one to die. It was pretty gruesome, but an experience to take in all the same.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    geometry wars is fun now that I'm good enough to not die instantly. still not very good, but at least I can see some improvement.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    gundam470 wrote: »

You should. That way you can get all pretentious when people bring up Nirvana.

It's one of my own personal favorite pastimes.

:lol:

Well, I can always fall back on my uselessly expansive knowledge of opera if I'm backed into a corner (not as bad as the really hardcore opera buffs, but I'm way past Marriage of Figaro, know what I'm saying?).

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.