Options

Spider-man OMD part 4 spoilers, divorce or no? The result inside.

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Graphic Violence
Ok, so the Christmas forum shut down while I was reading and making a post. Here's what Cade had in his OP, since those topics are stuck there:
Cade wrote:
Okay folks what I'm going to post below has been spreading across the net due to early previews/reviews, could be a chance they're BS but chances are they're likely true considering all we know of what was going to happen. So read if you want to know and go play in the snow if you dont.
I know of two or three people who received their issues early via direct order from Marvel. One of them had given me a quick synopsis of the last issue. Here it is:

Ok I will be mr spolier but you might not believe it as it is SO bad. Pete wakes up alone in the bed to find MJ in that bathroom puking I guess (the art & story telling are so bad who can tell what is up). First 3 1/4s was pete & MJ talking over accepting the offer. They come off as so dumb with neither asking the ultimate question, what would May want which we all know she would want then to stay married. So then the devil appears, they say yes cuz... well theres no believable reason they would. Then as just a freebie the devil tosses in that he is gonna rub out the demasking of peter parker. MJ whispers something to the devil to get an easy way out if the writters need it later. Then after they agree the devil says what I predicted, hes rubbing out the child they would have had in the future,,, UGH, Then... poof! Pete wakes up alone, goes downstair to ol aunt may making wheat cakes then run off to a party for .. HARRY OSBORN!!!! Yes everything is totally as if the last 20 years hasnt happened (in fact last panel shows them making a toast & you can see petes web shooters peeking out just to say screw you payed to read is worthless now). It is so much worse than I expected it to be. They have just turned Amazing into the start of Ultimate Spider-man. Its the worst time ever in Amazing Spider-man history.

I know a lot of the pro-marriage fans were already planning to dump Amazing if the marriage was retconned away. The question is, how about all of you who were sitting on the fence?

Everyone who is planning to dump, do it this week (wait until you receive the issue if you must). BOMBARD Marvel's phone lines with cancellations...at the very least, cancel Amazing...and cancel more if you are so inclined. Marvel will refund you the rest of your subscription. Those of you who plan to continue reading but find this offensive, bombard them with complaints. Mail letters via USPS, too. Heck, I'm going to cancel subscriptions TWICE...once by phone (to make it happen more quickly), and then once by mailing in "NO THANKS" on all the subscription renewal letters I've received over the past few months (in their nice postage-paid envelopes). And bring in your off-line friends, too, if they feel likewise...don't let them think they're alone in this.

Jeez Louise...trading a loving wife for Harry Osborn. Trading character development and powers development for editorial nostalgia. Trading deep connections and cheesecake for satanic connections and wheatcakes. Insert multiple curse words here..

And there you go.

You can thank Joe Q for that as it's what he wanted.

And my thoughts, for as far as I got before the lockdown:
Balefuego wrote: »
I get that people love Mary Jane, I love her too.

But I also kind of see Joey Q's point. Can you name a single great Spider-Man story that was centered around or relied on his marriage with MJ?

I mean maybe you could argue Kraven's Last Hunt but didnt even really need to be married for that.

That's not what it was about to me. MJ helped balance Peter a lot from his earlier days, where he was secretive from EVERYONE, and he seemed like less of a jerk. It actually allowed him some happy moments between ass-kicking and getting his ass-kicked. The one real light in his life, and now it's gone.

Hell, I wonder if Aunt May even still knows he's Spider-man now?

I don't see this doing anything but allowing him to just be more angsty. And with all due respect to both sides, if I want a hero like that, I'll go read Batman. He fills the part just fine.
Lux wrote: »
If true, this sounds ridiculously convenient. No matter how they write it, there's no way you can't detect the editor's hand in it. It reads less like a story and more like a retcon event. At least Infinite Crisis had build up to it's retcons.

I mean, the unmasking too? What a lack of commitment. To think, this made a newspaper

Agreed. What the hell happened to "all the stories we can tell now?" What, three of them?
Meanwhile, has there been a single good story about Aunt May, ever?

I liked when she found out he was Spider-man.

But really, do any good stories need to be ABOUT the supporting cast? It's cool when there are, but don't forget who's name is on the cover.
Why does Peter need a link? For the most part, references to Uncle Ben take place in his inner monologue. May's only there to talk about how Ben used to own a motorcycle when he was young.

And while I'm sure there are more than a few good stories about Peter saving Aunt May's life, the fact is that there are hundreds of others that drew from the same well and are best left forgotten. Do we really need to leave the door open for even more?

It'd be different if Aunt May had as much potential as a character as anyone else, but she's a senior citizen in perpetually bad health who is firmly planted in Peter's human, civilian side. Nothing remarkable can ever happen to her because introducing something fantastic to the character would transplant her from the normal side to the weird side and defeat the purpose of the character, and that means she remains a normal senior citizen for all of time.

That's not to say we can't write good stories about senior citizens, of course. The question, however, is whether or not those stories have a place in a book called Spider-Man. The fact that Aunt May has always been more of a plot device justifying a secret identity than a character unto herself with her own life, foibles, goals, and sub-plots should answer that question well enough.

...says it better.
Balefuego wrote: »
there's also the whole thing about being his last link to Uncle Ben who is the reason he is Spider-Man

Fair enough, a long time ago. I'd like to think that Peter's grown enough that he doesn't need to be reminded.
Man I liked the scene when Aunt May wrote off to all the papers who print bad stuff about spidey and called them dicks.

Back when Marvel just used to give free comics away.

Dear Joe Quesada,

Eat a dick.

Love,
Aunt May

Not fixed, just aptly adjusted for the situation at hand.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only now thought about this, glad someone was able to copy it and post it back up.

It does strike me as funny, they've been saying how they could tell years worth of stories alone from when Peter got unmasked but considering how far comics are planned out in ideas it doesn't take much to know that this was being pushed the exact same time Civil War had to be ending by Joe Q.

The only point in the unmasking thus had to be for the media attention.

Cade on
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Assuming all that is 100% true......

....son of a bitch. D:

Jayricho on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I got the issue today. I knew this shit was going down, but actually seeing it in action really pissed me off. The remasking is a really terrible cop-out. If I didn't like the creators on BND, I'd drop ASM so fucking hard.

Oh, and looking at all the art in this issue, what the fuck to Joe Q. so damn long? He repeated panels a lot, and most of his work was static shots anyway.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, in addition to Ultimate Spider-man and Marvel Adventures Spider-man being Quesada's dream version, now 616 is as well.

Wow, he must have HATED the movie and really pushed for the two to not get married in 3...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Know what's going to be hot this year?

http://www.cafepress.com/fjoeq

And for thsoe still not believing how about pics

002.jpg
    006.jpg

You can even see Pete's web shooter sticking out there in the last pic.

Cade on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maybe it's his cell phone?

Otherwise, fuck.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is where I always stood on Spidey.
    REALTALK.png

That said, for some reason I'm compelled to read post-JMS Spidey.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    He used the new stuff he got in The Other like maybe three times total if they retconed that away.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just have no idea how this is going to make any sense. Not only does it through out Spider-Man continuity, it's going to throw out Marvel continuity.

august on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I kind of thought about jumping onto Spider-Man with BND because Wells and Slott are pretty okay, and McNiven and Bachalo are awesome, but I can't in good conscience read something that originates from such hacky storytelling.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Maybe it's his cell phone?

Otherwise, fuck.

Considering it's exactly where his web shooters use to be and it had a nozzle just like that I extremely doubt it's a cell phone. Remember this change is to make Spiderman how he use to be, no organic shooters.

Cade on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait a minute.....so if Harry never died then there's no reason for Norman to enact his super-secret grand plans so that effects Thunderbolts, Civil War, and several other things. If Pete never unmasked then that completely removes one of the three biggest plot points of Civil War. Effectively this shifts the ENTIRE MARVEL CONTINUITY and effectively removes everything I still found to be cool about Spider-Man. How is this going to work???

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ... What the fuck Marvel. Why did you have to go an destroy one of my favorite characters with the shittiest story ever? Seriously, this bleeds editorial bullshit, and it infuriates me. Looks like ASM will be getting dropped very soon.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    what i'm saying is you're all the reason spider-man is terrible right now

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thank FUCK I didn't go back to reading Spider-Man.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    but

this is JMS' last Spider-Man story

he's leaving the title after this.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait a minute.....so if Harry never died then there's no reason for Norman to enact his super-secret grand plans so that effects Thunderbolts, Civil War, and several other things. If Pete never unmasked then that completely removes one of the three biggest plot points of Civil War. Effectively this shifts the ENTIRE MARVEL CONTINUITY and effectively removes everything I still found to be cool about Spider-Man. How is this going to work??? Seriously does ANYONE have any idea how this will be implemented line wide??

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They're seriously retconning basically all of JMS's run. What the shit, they could've kept all that stuff and just removed MJ from the picture. God damn you, Joe Quesada. I can't believe I've been fucking defending his decisions on Spidey up to this point.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    They're seriously retconning basically all of JMS's run. What the shit, they could've kept all that stuff and just removed MJ from the picture. God damn you, Joe Quesada. I can't believe I've been fucking defending his decisions on Spidey up to this point.

That's a shame too, since I really enjoyed JMS beginning run on ASM, all the way up till May finding out his identity.

But yeah, I'm wondering the same thing as most, as how this affects the rest of Marvel continuity. And I don't get how undoing the marriage...
    Saves Harry.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    anjinsan187 (10:42:18 PM): imagine if you will
    anjinsan187 (10:42:31 PM): paying a man to shit on your face for three dollars
    anjinsan187 (10:42:36 PM): once a month
    anjinsan187 (10:42:50 PM): some folks want more peanuts
    anjinsan187 (10:42:57 PM): some wonder why it's green
    anjinsan187 (10:43:11 PM): some wonder why it came out messy one day
    anjinsan187 (10:43:29 PM): at any time they could've stopped being a human toilet
    anjinsan187 (10:43:31 PM): but alas
    anjinsan187 (10:43:54 PM): they hunger for the taste and smell of bile and shit
    anjinsan187 (10:43:57 PM): like germans
    anjinsan187 (10:44:01 PM): vicious germans
    The Divan Kopile (11:43:46 PM): so basically you're saying we need to bomb germany
    anjinsan187 (10:44:13 PM): yes

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow. The whole thing reads like something done by a 14 year old shut-in fanboy. I think that the clone saga was less retarded.

muninn on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    The Divan Kopile (11:43:46 PM): so basically you're saying we need to bomb germany
    anjinsan187 (10:44:13 PM): yes

That and your Christmas sig nearly made me piss myself from laughing so hard.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well
    Harry being back is kinda cool I guess.
    But fuck Joe Q. I'm almost tempted to try out BND because of the writers though. Aunt May should have stayed dead in Spiderman #300 (I think it was 300.. or was it 400?), I don't see why they think she is so instrumental to peter being spidey.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, that cuts it. I'm dropping 616.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I am all over BND because of Slott/McNiven

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited December 2007
    Ugh. This makes me fucking sick.

And, god, it taints the return of Harry so fucking much. Harry being back? Fucking awesome. Never should have died. Everything fucking else about this It makes me, me, want to just completely fucking quit entirely.

Holy shit I want to die.

Whippy on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So there's a chance Ben Reilly will return as well? I mean at this point, why not?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ben Reilly is never coming back

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So there's a chance Ben Reilly will return as well? I mean at this point, why not?
    Two More Days is due out April 2008.
    Two More Days 4 (of 4) 2.99

A change that will rock spider-man's life forever! When the Living Tribunal offers to bring back Gwen Stacy in exchange for Spider-man's individuality, his reply changes everything: Ben Reilly is back! Gwen Stacy is back! And is that Captain America in the shadows? This landmark issue sparks the beginning of Two in One, the newest spider-man event chronicling Spidey and Spidey's twin exploits.

VARIANT COVER BY MICHEAL TURNER ALSO AVAILABLE.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If we're talking about sweeping changes motivated by something as vague as "story potential", or whatever they're using to justify removing the marriage, I'd say bringing back Ben Reilly makes just as much sense as anything else. I mean, what if you made him a villain?

You know that lame speech villains sometimes give where they say, "We're not so different..." and the hero says, "I'm NOTHING like you!" What if the villain were, undeniably, the same person? Not different halves, like Tyler Durden and the dude from Fight Club or any other example of someone's dark side become manifest, but simply the same person.

"I know why you're fighting me Peter, and it's not because what I'm doing is wrong. It's not because you're good. It's because you can't stand the sight of yourself anymore, knowing that you could have just as easily ended up in my position, with her blood on your hands."

Not to mention the fact that a clone gives writers the chance to take the character of Peter Parker and do anything they want to him while, at the same time, leaving the character of Peter Parker untouched for the purposes of keeping him recognizable. It's a gold mine.

But then I just remembered there were at least 3 evil Spider-Man clones, so I guess there really isn't any new ground to cover with Ben Reilly. Woops!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If we're talking about sweeping changes motivated by something as vague as "story potential", or whatever they're using to justify removing the marriage, I'd say bringing back Ben Reilly makes just as much sense as anything else. I mean, what if you made him a villain?

You know that lame speech villains sometimes give where they say, "We're not so different..." and the hero says, "I'm NOTHING like you!" What if the villain were, undeniably, the same person? Not different halves, like Tyler Durden and the dude from Fight Club or any other example of someone's dark side become manifest, but simply the same person.

"I know why you're fighting me Peter, and it's not because what I'm doing is wrong. It's not because you're good. It's because you can't stand the sight of yourself anymore, knowing that you could have just as easily ended up in my position, with her blood on your hands."

Not to mention the fact that a clone gives writers the chance to take the character of Peter Parker and do anything they want to him while, at the same time, leaving the character of Peter Parker untouched for the purposes of keeping him recognizable. It's a gold mine.

But then I just remembered there were at least 3 evil Spider-Man clones, so I guess there really isn't any new ground to cover with Ben Reilly. Woops!

Man Pete should be all "What? No it's because you're endangering the lives of innocents!"
    And Ben will be all "ARE WE SO DIFFERENT!?"
    Then Pete punches him in the jaw.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm hoping anything due out in April is a joke at this point.

Also, that this issue is a joke as well. Just, uh, early.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm hoping that the next comic ends with Pete over Aunt May, lamenting how he wished he had said "Yes" to Mephisto and we were just seeing what Peter saw his "new old life" as.

I don't care if that's incredibly cliche'd.

IN THE END, IT'S NOT AS BAD AS THIS.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is all leading up to MJ murdering Aunt May.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wait, Michael Turner guest cover? It has to be a fake!

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ugh

this is just depressing

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ugh

this is just depressing

EXPLOSIVES.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ugh

this is just depressing

EXPLOSIVES.

i don't think there are enough in the world

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's perhaps most amazing to me is that Joe Q approved the organic shooters and the reconciliation of Peter and MJ after they had already split. I don't really understand the point of either of those moves at this point.

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Progression for regression's stupid sake.

They're gonna wipe his past clean, but leave one lingering question in case the new direction isn't well received.

Just like every other Spider-Man retcon.

Way to push things forward, dudes.

Calamity Jane on