As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Freespace 1 & 2 (not 56k friendly)

BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
I just mentioned it in this thread here and it occured to me maybe it should get a topic of its own, since I know many old schoolers who have wanted to play this again but for some reason or another couldn't or didn't.

Figured since many here are from "Das Oldskoolen" some of you might want to revisit this in its new skin, and maybe if you haven't ever played it, you should give it a shot, so this post'll be both mildly informative for the newer folk, and include links for the older (something for everyone).

Freespace was one of the last good space sims released in 1997 and the sequel in 98 respectively. At the time, it rivaled Wing Commander, and when Wing Commander 5 turned out to be so much less than what it could have, Freespace sort of took the mantle of "best".

Any information regarding storyline I would write would be retarded, so I'll just link to the Wiki entries, for the first here and for the second here.

The game was largely forgotten because this was one of the last game Interplay managed to ruin as a publisher before they put the ability for you to play chess on thier website, and started reporting their annual income at $8.

In the internim of the past ten years, Volition (the people who made the game), released the source code for the game. Little by little a bunch of coders updated the engine, while a bunch of modders updated the models/graphics/textures, etc.

That about brings us to today. From the final retail patch which was 1.2 I believe, the version today is 3.6.9 and is being continuously updated. The game as a result, looks more like a game you'd see published today. This was all made possible by the people at Hard Light Productions. I personally am also involved to a degree with it as well.

6p9hegk.jpg

72iyd55.jpg

6xq2bl2.jpg

sm3.0_shots6.jpg

35kmk5x.jpg

So basically, you can get the old game(s) with all the trinkets in basically a single download from here for your respective system.

If you've played it before, I reccomend playing it again with all the new visual trinkets, and if you never have played it before, it'd be good to do so for some education on how things were with this genre that has died out.

[edit]Also, if you want the bump mapping and the latest graphics that make it look exactly like the screenshots(got released today), go here for the latest media VP's (replace the ones you got with the launcher), and follow the link to the latest build from there as well.

Or to be more specific, follow Tzen's instruction;
Tzen wrote: »
THE OFFICIAL PA EXCLUSIVE HOW TO GET THIS SHIT WORKING WITH NORMAL MAPS AND ALL THAT SEXY SHIT TUTORIAL (WINDOWS ONLY)

Download the installer.

Either install everything or just the stuff you want (at least the retail Freespace 2 stuff, duh). Don't bother with the Zeta MediaVPs if you want the new normal map stuff.

Download the newest exes.

Put them in the Freespace 2 folder and point Launcher.exe at fs2_open_3_6_10-20071028T.exe

DELETE the mediavps folder (or rename it to "lolwang" or something if you're paranoid)!!!!!!!!!!

Make a new mediavps folder and extract each of the following to it: this, this, this, this, and this

WTF I STILL DON'T SEE TEH NORMAL MAPZZ!!1
I had to install newer video drivers for my 6800 GO before they would work.

BlackDove on

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Holy fucking shit balls.

Downloaded.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To date the only flight sim games I've ever really liked. Freespace 1 was the first truly cinematic game I'd played, from the opening cutscene up through the end it feels like something much, much bigger than a video game. This, at a time when few games had full voice-over, and when even fewer games managed to make rendered cutscenes look good (though many, many tried and failed). It had perfect pacing, it had glorious music, it had graphics that should not have been possible in 1997 and yet somehow worked even without a 3D accelerator.

The only way Freespace 1 could have been better is if there were more missions, with more ships, and with bigger ships.

Guess what Freespace 2 did?

The only flaw of the Freespace games is that there were only 2 of them.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow. This looks pretty damn good. How big is this game anyway? Low download limit is low.

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There is only one possible way to make Freespace 2 even more fucking amazing than it already is:
    Play it with a high-quality throttle and joystick.

Seriously, take a game that already has one of the best levels of immersion and give it realistic controls? Gonna have to play without pants.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Holy shit. I'm SO downloading this.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was just gonna say, the one thing I need is my old joystick. Nothing else seems to do justice.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Force Feedback 2, baby.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It makes me so sad that the space combat sim genre is effectively dead. Freespace 2 is my favourite PC game ever.

Cullen on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    :^: to the OP. This series needs more love.

Obligatory awesome Freespace 2 video post. I think I have managed to post this video in every thread that mentions Freespace 2... but it sums the game up so beautifully.

You have to wonder what happened with Volition for it to go from Freespace 2, an incredibly well-written, well-acted piece of interactive fiction... to Saint's Row. 'nuff said. I didn't notice any excessive turn-over when they were bought by THQ, but I could be wrong.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Freespace games own... I only had the demo that came with my sound card way back in the day.... Consider this downloaded :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

If you're at all in doubt about whether to get this game or not, watch this video. If you're still not convinced, you simply cannot be awed.

The following are my favourite gaming moments ever:
    The introduction of the Colossus, from the moment it jumps in, to when it wrecks the enemy ships, to the awesome run-down of its capabilities by the Admiral. Volition do everything possible to show you that yes, this is a fucking awesome ship.
    The appearance of the Ravana.
    The appearance of the Sathanas.

Basically, I like big ships. If anyone else does, this is the game for you.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I bought the Freespace 1 and 2 pack a while ago, but I couldn't get it to work properly. I tried the Hard Light stuff once, but I couldn't get it to work, either.

Now it's a one file download? Yes, thank you. They do have all the videos and stuff from the CD versions, right?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dive.

Dive.

Hit your burners, pilot.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaskwachSaskwach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Freespace with better graphics? What's the catch?

Saskwach on
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's been downloading for 2 hours and I'm not sure how much longer to go. Lack of progress bar sucks.

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    Yep, as far as I'm concerned this is the last great space sim. The first time I saw a cap ship carve up another ship with its beams I creamed my pants.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Almost makes me want to re-installs X-Wing vs TIE Fighter! Ha!

Hey, why doesn't my game look as awesome as the screens?

I'm running OpenGL (recommended by the readme) with full everything, and I downloaded the hi-texture packs.

Specifically, there isn't any of that shiny bump mapping on my ships.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why is that installer only 20MB? Is it really that small? Anyways, this and Descent are two series I'd give anything to see restarted.

xraydog on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    Yep, as far as I'm concerned this is the last great space sim. The first time I saw a cap ship carve up another ship with its beams I creamed my pants.

It also made me wish
    that the two showdowns between the Colossus and the Sathanas were more spectacular. Those ships are both the size of goddamn cities and have the firepower to take out a fleet, but watching two smaller destroyers duke it out is much more intense.
    xraydog wrote: »
    Why is that installer only 20MB? Is it really that small? Anyways, this and Descent are two series I'd give anything to see restarted.

It's an online installer - the installer downloads the game from remote servers. You can pick what content you want - just turn everything on, trust me, you want it all.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    that the two showdowns between the Colossus and the Sathanas were more spectacular. Those ships are both the size of goddamn cities and have the firepower to take out a fleet, but watching two smaller destroyers duke it out is much more intense.

It's because of the RANGE. Juggernauts fight at ranges with their beams that make their missile batteries and gun turrets useless. Destroyers fight at ranges where they can actually hit each other with those guns.

There's also the fact that you can actually DAMAGE a destroyer, which makes you charge in and start blowing the hell out of it.

With a Juggernaut fight, it's "OH SHIT BURN AWAY BURN AWAY!"

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The purpose for the Colossus/Sathanas fight was to show

a) How much the Colossus was a waste of time and money, a pure product of arrogance and linear thinking of "bigger is better". The ship was desperate just to down a crippled enemy juggernaught.
    b) How much the Sathanas is useless without its 4 main beams (and how badass it is when they're all working, as shown when it destroys the helpless Colossus), basically demonstrating that the Sath's job lies elsewhere (making a star go Nova)

Yeah, it would've been nice to have the juggernaughts facing off, but they'd have to be different kinds of ships for that to work, and there was a point to be made with these two heavy hitters.
    Daemonion wrote: »
    Almost makes me want to re-installs X-Wing vs TIE Fighter! Ha!

Hey, why doesn't my game look as awesome as the screens?

I'm running OpenGL (recommended by the readme) with full everything, and I downloaded the hi-texture packs.

Specifically, there isn't any of that shiny bump mapping on my ships.

That could possibly be my bad, I took the latest screenshots posted in the screenshot thread, and there's a couple of experimental things in that thread that are still being tested and should be available for download in the next few weeks, namely the bump mapping effect that they've just put into the latest builds, with the latest model mapping. I can post links to that here when they're public. It'll just be a matter of overwriting a few files.
    Darkstryke wrote: »
    It's been downloading for 2 hours and I'm not sure how much longer to go. Lack of progress bar sucks.

Yeah, the idea is really just to give it as much time as it needs, you're downloading if I'm not mistaken (if you choose all of it) several gigabytes, so I wouldn't expect it to go down lightning fast. It's just simply to wait it out, maybe leave to download while you're afk.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do these have coop?

Tzen on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One of my favorite moments in FS2 (and gaming in general) is when you're in a blockade to stop NTF ships from leaving a sector. One NTF Corvette always jumped in full-speed and all guns blazing (even before leaving the warp). I remember that because the first time it happened I happened to be in the path of their Anti CapShip beams...

... a Perseus isn't good enough to stand in that path

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    In a lot of capital ship engagements (especially with the Psamtik), the destroyers only use their beams against other ships as well. The thing is, a Hecate can bring four beams to bear forward and fire them three to four times a minute. The Colossus can usually only bring one to bear (In a narrow angle it can fire its three weakest), and they take 30-60 seconds to recharge.

Range isn't the issue. The issue is that the Colossus's weapon cover is so sparse and fire so slowly (this includes short range weapons. Only its flak cannons are up to snuff) that High Noon can potentially last an hour if the Sathanas comes in with one or two beams still online. A very long, boring hour. The Sathanas at full strength is a beast. The Colossus is a 6 kilometer iron clad turd.

Hevach on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Those are some awesome graphics. It makes me want to try this out again. I'm assuming, though, that the download is for the engine only, and that I'll have to dig up my old disks for the game data.

0blique on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is there coop? :X

Plus, I want this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PM69ICOhsE

Tzen on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    0blique wrote: »
    Those are some awesome graphics. It makes me want to try this out again. I'm assuming, though, that the download is for the engine only, and that I'll have to dig up my old disks for the game data.

No the whole thing is free. Download and play.

Apostate on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Tzen wrote: »
    Is there coop? :X

Plus, I want this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PM69ICOhsE

There is in multiplayer maps. At one point there was a modified version of the main campaign allowing 4 player coop. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: http://ttfclusiop.t35.com/FreeSpace/Downloads/

First file.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    In a lot of capital ship engagements (especially with the Psamtik), the destroyers only use their beams against other ships as well. The thing is, a Hecate can bring four beams to bear forward and fire them three to four times a minute. The Colossus can usually only bring one to bear (In a narrow angle it can fire its three weakest), and they take 30-60 seconds to recharge.

Range isn't the issue. The issue is that the Colossus's weapon cover is so sparse and fire so slowly (this includes short range weapons. Only its flak cannons are up to snuff) that High Noon can potentially last an hour if the Sathanas comes in with one or two beams still online. A very long, boring hour. The Sathanas at full strength is a beast. The Colossus is a 6 kilometer iron clad turd.

It was designed for fleet engagements, where it would be surrounded, and be firing all it's guns at different targets. IE: Fire support.

The Sathanas was designed to kill one target, and kill it GOOD. It's rear is dreadfully underprotected.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    0blique wrote: »

No, it's all there. Whole games, assets etc. Technically while the assets did remain copyrighted, this doesn't use (almost) any of them. They've all been done from scracth in order to meet the new quality requirements and are basically just BASED off of the old stuff.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    BZZZT.

Wrong-o. Reread the FS2 EULA when you have the chance.

It has a clause allowing you to give free copies to your friends.

Hence why they can give it out free, and no one can do shit about it.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's part of it, but even if that wasn't there, technically you can't claim "mine" on something that isn't really made by you. That's what I was trying to illustrate.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, there's still copyright to worry about. Even if they redid all of the models and sounds, they're still based on the original, so you still might need to think about copyright infringement. If this many versions have been released, then it looks like this has already been taken care of though.

0blique on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    While that's true, that kind of thing is a completely different ballgame from stealing and distributing.

But it's really irrelevant, since the EULA states it's okay to copy for friends. And we're all friends here on the internets.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Cold KoalaCold Koala Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It looks like several former Volition employees actually provided them with additional resources--including original WAVs of the music so they could have better quality. I don't think copyright is really a worry anymore. It's out there and no one even wants to take it back.
    Evangir wrote: »

If you're at all in doubt about whether to get this game or not, watch this video. If you're still not convinced, you simply cannot be awed.

The following are my favourite gaming moments ever:
    The introduction of the Colossus, from the moment it jumps in, to when it wrecks the enemy ships, to the awesome run-down of its capabilities by the Admiral. Volition do everything possible to show you that yes, this is a fucking awesome ship.
    The appearance of the Ravana.
    The appearance of the Sathanas.

Basically, I like big ships. If anyone else does, this is the game for you.

Wait... did you not run the covert-ops mission
    where you and three squadmates take captured Maras through the nebula portal into Shivan space and find out that holy shit, there are many more Sathanas-class ships than you thought?

Cold Koala on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FS1 question
    Early on in Freespace 1, I remember some humans broke away and went rogue because there was a looming threat worse than the the current alien enemy. That threat was the Shivans. What exactly was that rogue group going to do against the Shivans? Why the hell did they break away?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Somewhat related: I really enjoyed the Battlestar Galactica stand alone total conversion of FS2.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cold Koala wrote: »
    Wait... did you not run the covert-ops mission
    where you and three squadmates take captured Maras through the nebula portal into Shivan space and find out that holy shit, there are many more Sathanas-class ships than you thought?
    The whole thing falls apart when you have quite a bunch of free time on your hands and realize that they are not actually Sathanas but instead they are small triangles. Hey, I know I'm not supposed to actually go all the way there (and back!), but I wanted to see them up close :P

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Providing an on-topic bump...

Do we have anyone here who played some SquadWar, or made an interesting mission in FRED2? I've always wondered if anyone I knew back then posted on these forums. I used to play as RN-Wulfbane, and I designed the mission "A Stalwart Defence" that was very well reviewed.

Anyone?

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I no longer have a joystick, does this game have mouse support?

BTW I loved Freespace back in the day, never played Freespace 2 though. The Lucifer fight at the end was spectacular!

Zenitram on