As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] UI stands for "User Interface," not "u idiot"

Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
The ultimate World of Warcraft UI thread

You might be an old pro, looking to find a way to automate or otherwise ease the daily chore that is WoW. Or you may be a new player, wondering why all of these people have such funny/cool/retarded-looking actionbars. Both are accomplished through the use of two things: Macros and Addons.
  • Macros consist of small, in-game strings of code that can range from the simple (such as /target Ragnaros, /wave) to the ridiculously complex (such as /script if(QUEST_FADING_ENABLE) then QUEST_FADING_ENABLE = nil; message("Fast Quest Text Enabled") else QUEST_FADING_ENABLE =1; message("Fast Quest Text Disabled") end). Each Macro has a default 255-character limit, and each of your WoW Characters have a default pool of 36 Macros to choose from--18 General Macros shared by all, and 18 Character-Specific Macros.
  • Addons are essentially very large Macros, which are contained outside of the game itself and loaded into memory upon logging in your characters. All Addons are written in the LUA language, with some of them drawing on XML. Some Addons come with additional artwork and textures, to further customize one's interface. Some are unnecessary, when a Macro might do the same thing just as effectively. Some are bloated pieces of shit--there are a vast amount of Addons available, ranging from completely overhauling packages (such as PhotekUI or MazzleUI), to small tweaks (such as QuestLevels). Generally speaking, the mark of a quality addon will be how it is written, not necessarily what it does.

First up, let's talk Addons.

Addons: that which doesn't kill you(r framerate) will only make you stronger

Everything under the sun has an addon for it nowadays--want a customized timer to know when your totems will expire? Lots of Addons for that. Don't like the tiny nature of the built-in Enemy Casting Bar? Plenty of Addons for that, too. Floating Combat Text sucks balls? Yes, more of those. In fact, most areas of the game have multiple available Addons to choose from.

But wait, I don't know the first thing about Addons. Where do they go?
The vast majorty of Addons come downloaded off of the internet in a *.ZIP file, which can be unpacked using your favorite software (or Windows Explorer). Inside said *.ZIP file is a folder, or a set of folders--these go into the "...\Interface\Addons" folder, found in the main WoW folder. So, if I were to wish to install SpeakEasyGUI so's I can get my RP on, I would place the contents of the SpeakEasyGUI *.ZIP file here:
  • C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons

Subsiquently, all of the files needed for SpeakEasyGUI would now be contained here:
  • C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons\SpeakEasyGUI

That is the long-and-short of it. Some Addons might include multiple folders, such as AutoBar: there is the AutoBar folder, and then there's the AutoBarConfig folder (the current record-holder is Cartographer, with around 25-30 separate folders for a full installation). In any case, all such folders go in the same place:
  • C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons

Hey waitdaminnit... I have a Mac!
To install addons, go to Finder > Applications > World of Warcraft > Interface > Addons > *drag files here*

OK, that's good to know. But what about my settings? How can I move them from character to character?

Easy peasy. In Windows, every Addon setting is saved under the WTF folder found in your WoW folder. Typically, it looks something like C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\[ACCOUNT NAME]\[SERVER NAME\[CHARACTER NAME].

Say I spend all afternoon making a sweet UI on my character "Killsurmom." Looks good and all, but now my alt "Stabbinulol" needs the same treatment. All I'd need to do is go into the WTF folder, copy the entire contents of the Killsurmom folder into the Stabbinulol folder and it's all set.

Note that there are a couple of extra steps in some cases. I've noticed that at times the chatframe settings won't properly adjust, in which case copying the "chat-cache.txt" file over a second time usually does the trick.

And some Addons make use of profiles. Profiles are nice if you'd like an Addon to do a specific thing for certain classes or characters, but it also means that copying their WTF information won't load your settings in the way that other Addons will. If you do a WTF copy and you find that certain Addons aren't configured correctly upon logging in, try opening their respective menus and see if there's an option for profiles.

When dealing with profiles, it's always easiest to set them up when configuring your UI initially. Go through and decide which ones will be the same for all characters (setting these profiles to "Default" is the easiest) and which will be class-based.

One handy thing to note: if you have some Addons on a class-based profile, you can copy the profile from one class to another, saving yourself a lot of re-configuration.

Are we ready to move on, now?

If not, send me a PM or ask in yon thread.

So where does one get these things? The most common method is through various internet repositories, specializing in WoW Addons, Macros and the discussions thereof.
  • www.wowinterface.com
      Considered the best site by many (myself included), WowInterface is quick, clean and well-designed. Most Addons hosted here are frequently kept up-to-date by their authors, and their site admins will move discontinued/outdated Addons into a special category (allowing you to confirm if your favorite Addons from days past are dead, or giving you the choice to take up the reins in the original author's stead). Recently-updated addons have a color-coded tag, and those compatible with the latest patch are also tagged as such. Overall, it's a good place to go first.
  • www.curse.com
      Formerly Curse-Gaming.com, this site is another popular choice, albeit not quite as nice as WowInterface in my opinion. It's lacking a few categories that WowInterface has, and it doesn't seem quite as intuitive. Additionally, it seems that the Addons listed here are not quite as up-to-date; this is not the fault of the site, but the authors. Still, it does have a large volume of Addons, some of which which you may not be able to find elsewhere.
  • wowui.incgamers.com
      Another UI site, this one having a bit of a troublesome layout. It's main advantage is the extensive Macro section, which other sites tend to lack.
  • www.cosmosui.org
      CosmosUI was the first major "all-in-one" Addon pack, containing many various Addons as well as a GUI management tool. Since then, others have come and gone, and Cosmos has taken a back burner to the shinier new kids, but the ringmaster still keeps plugging away at it. Some of the addons in the package are unavailable anywhere else, though installing
    any package in it entirety simply for one addon isn't reccommended.

[*]www.wowace.com
    Ahh, the Ace empire. Here is where the most up-to-date Ace Addons are found, including a handy forum for Addon support. Many of these can be found elsewhere, but this site contains the latest release version (if available--some Addons are in a perpetual Beta state), as well as all previous Beta versions. More about Ace later on.

[*]Saeris's website
    Our own Saeris Sanoora has been writing addons for years. Dude knows how to turn out a good chunk of code, and thanks to his hand we have a load of wonderful addons such as LinkBot, QuickChatLink, Segui, BigBankStatement and SlashLanguage.

Hold up there, cochise. Read the disclaimer first.

Before you go gallavanting off to various UI sites and downloading everything under the sun, note that there are some dangerous elements involved. Both Curse.com and WoWUI.Incgamers.com have in the past been caught sneaking malicious ActiveX scripts into their sites, and WoWInterface.com recently had two malicious Addons uploaded to their site. As far as I know, Curse and Incgamers have since amended their issues (though they were tremendous assholes about it), and WoWInterface removed the offending addons within minutes of discovery. So a few general pointers to remember:
  1. Never run any kind of script from these websites, ever. That goes for a lot of the Internet in general, but if you find that you can't download a file without allowing a script first, go to another site.
  2. Never run any kind of executable. Addons consist entirely of text--there is no way for one to infect your computer with a trojan or keylogger on its own. However, an executable (i.e., *.EXE file) has that capacity, and people have been burned in the past. This goes for Installation/Update programs--WoWUI.Incgamers and Curse provide an optional Updater program that one can use as a one-click tool. Use any and all of these programs at your own risk.
  3. For god's sake, run spyware & virus scans every week. This is good practice, regardless. There are a bevvy of programs out there that will handle this. H/A or Accumulated Forum Knowledge should have some reccommendations.

A quick note about this whole Ace thing

Ace came about sometime late in 2006, with a slew of "lightweight, modular" addons. Presumably a group of authors got together an decided that writing a number of libraries stacked full of basic functions would allow the addons themselves to be written smaller and more efficiently. Problem is, that library is still being loaded into memory, so the whole point is a little moot. Saeris can expound on the matter better than I can, but it really boils down to how well the addon itself is written. No amount of super-detailed framework can make up for a poorly-coded mess.

Most people have figured out the Ace ruse by now, but there's still some out there that believe the hype. Ace addons are not inherently more "lightweight," as that still depends on the quality of the written code. The only valid reason to stick with Ace addons is the uniform aesthetics you get from them.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
Seattle Thread on

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Popular Addons for the discerning modder
    Last updated: January 1st, 2009

Actionbar Addons
    • Bartender4 - A very common addon among players. Setup is relatively easy, and it will replace all of the major bars on-screen--actionbars, XP bar, pet bar, bags, vehicle bar, minimenu, etc. Downsides include a less-than-intuitive method of handling stances (such as switching from Stealthed to Unstealthed), and a maximum of 12 buttons per bar. It also uses actionIDs, limiting you to 120 buttons (or 10 bars).
    • Dominos - Formerly Bongos. Another common addon, and another with a low setup curve. Like Bartender, it uses actionIDs, so you will be limited to 120 buttons, however, you are not limited in buttons per bar... once could have 120 bars with 1 button each, or 1 bar with 120 buttons.
    • Macaroon - Formerly TinityBars. More versatile than Bartender or Bongos, with multiple variables such as in-combat, out-of-combat, friendly/hostile targeting and unlimited buttons. Mostly macro-based, so you can potentially have unlimited macros. Setup is a little bit of a pain.

--
    • AutoBar - Not a total actionbar overhaul as mush as an actionbar supplement, AutoBar creates a set of buttons that categorize all of your mounts/pets/foods/drinks/quest items/weapon enhancements/tradeskills/shaman totems/druid forms/class-related group buffs/et cetera et al.

Unitframe Addons
    • AG_Unitframes - Very simple unitframe addon. Replaces Player, Target, ToT, ToToT, Pet, Party and Raid frames, and provides a focus frame as well. Initial setup is easy, but advanced customization can be a little frustrating.
    • Perl Classic Unitframes - Another unitframe addon, this one being an update of the pre-2.0 addon Perl...
    • X-Perl Unit Frames... but wait, so is this one! Someone will have to possibly clue me in on the differences, because I haven't played around with Perl very much. I do see a lot of UI screenshots featuring them.
    • Pitbull - This one is all the zeitgeist these days. It's quite customizable, but the menu will frighten some just for the sheer verbosity of it. Once you get the hang of how it works then it's a breeze. Pitbull also has some neat tricks, like a spark that moves across your mana bar signifying the Five Second Rule, or a "modular" design that lets you disable the things you don't use. Reccommended by damn near everyone.
    • oUF - Otravi Unitframes won't do anything out of the box--a separate layout is required--but it's one of the simplest unitframe addons available.

Interface Enhancements
    • OmniCC - Simple enough, it places a cooldown count on your ability buttons. It's universal, so the count will show up in your spellbook, or in your bags (in the case of potions/hearthstones/Crashin' Thrashin' Robots). Also has a neat "flash" function that will highlight the ability when it's ready.
    • ButtonFacade - The new CyCircled. Re-skins your action buttons to make them circular/hexagonal/blocky/shaped like Jaina's labia/etc. It's compatible with most actionbar addons these days. Search "buttonfacade" on WowInterface.com for new shapes.
    • EquivalencePoints - Tired of researching which gear is best for your class based on stats? Found a set of equivalence values but calculating each item you come across is getting tedious? Just lazy? This addon adds an equivalence sum to the tooltip, based on the values that you input. It has presets for every class and spec as well, for the lazy among us.
    • OPie - Bind actions to several rings, then bind the rings to your hotkeys! You canbind all sorts of things, from weapon buffs to totems to tracking types to raid icons.

--
    • FuBar - It doesn't seem that many authors are using FuBar any longer, but there's still some support and a ton of plug-ins going around.
    • Titan Panel - It's back and badder than ever. Or some such nonsense. There are also a ton of plug-ins going around.
    • Broker - This is a new, trendy thing... rather than a specific addon with a specific set of plugins, a Broker system involves a set of general data-related plugins that are compatible with a variety of bars or floating boxes. More about it is explained here. You need the LibDataBroker addon to create the framework, and then another addon to create the displays, like Fortress or StatBlockCore.

--
    • Cartographer - The current grandaddy of all map mods. Cartographer features: node/herb/chest tracking, resizing options, instance maps (with boss loot lists), transparency functions, note-making, note-sharing (to spread your herb/node marks all over your guildmates), coordinates, foglight... it's a versatile mod that most have already.
    • MetaMap - Before Cartographer, there was MetaMap. It is virtually the same thing, only it has no built-in node/herb tracking function (see Gatherer, in the Data Mods section), and it includes an NPC list with coordinates, so you'll never lose track of a questgiver again.
    • Additionally, you can get most of the Cartographer components as stand-alone addons:

Combat Addons
    • Scrolling Combat Text - The original--Blizzard's own "Floating Combat Text" was inspired by this addon, though theirs is a horrible, twisted mockery of SCT. Easy to set up, easy to read, clean, intuitive. Check the Patch & Add-on List on the page linked for fun plug-ins.
    • Mik's Scrolling Battle Text] - An alternative to SCT, this one features a few neat tricks, such as text alignment and spell icons, as well as an additional scroll area for cooldowns & notifications (such as "Scarlet Wizard attempts to run away in fear!"). A little more difficult to set up than SCT, some find the trade-off worth it.
    • Parrot - By ckknight, the author of Pitbull. I gave it a whirl, but ultimately found it too similar to Mik's SBT. The setup process is a lot easier, though. If you are a fan of Ace Addons or ckknight in general, then this is just for you.

--
    • Natur Enemy Castbar - A popular spell timer mod, formerly Natur CombatTimers (and formerly Natur Enemy Castbar before that... it's been through several changes). It creates independent, movable timer bars for tracking HoTs, DoTs, Debuffs (such as Viper Sting or Demo Shout), Enemy Casts, Cooldowns (for party members, such as Soulstone Resurrection or Bloodlust), Stuns and more.
    • Quartz - Quartz serves as a castbar replacement addon, but also includes a buff/debuff tracking component as well.
    • Chronometer and Antagonist appear to be discontinued completely. Chronometer was apparently getting an overhaul, but the last update was in November. Antagonist is even further out of date.

Chat Addons
    • Prat - Every screenshot you see with people's names in guildchat colored by class usually means they're using Prat. Overhauls your entire Chatbox(es), giving a wide variety of customization. High CPU-Usage elements are now disabled by default, reducing the bloat a little bit.
    • Chatter - Like Prat, apparently not so bloaty. Reccommended by theDewMonger.

HUD Addons
    • IceHUD - Pretty common, from what I understand, and regularly updated.
    • DHUD - Another fairly common one.
    • DHUD2 - Is it the same as DHUD? Possibly so, possibly no.
    • ArcHUD2 - This looks a lot like the Nurfed HUD, for those who were fans of that project.
    • SimpleHUD - This is a very basic HUD, for those that hate a lot of busy details.
    • TextHUD - This one's pure numbers, baby. None of them bars or graphics to get in the way.
    • UnderHood - It's totally modular now and a bitch to set up, but very customizable. Version r28 comes with a pre-loaded default setup.

Data Addons
    • DrDamage - Calculates average spell damage for an ability based on crit rating & spell/attack power, and places that number on it's respective action button. It also adds a lot of data to the tooltip, which can be disabled.
    • Auctioneer - A bloated powerhouse of an auction mod, this will calculate average buyouts for items on the AH, then add a separate tooltip for each item listing that average... as well as vendor values, linkIDs, item levels, tradeskills said item is used for... like I said, it's a bloated powerhouse. The new version, AucAdvanced, is a completely different addon, though still providing the same function. Scans can still get up to 20 minutes, though, especially after being used for a couple of months.
    • AuctionLite - Very, very basic auction mod. Scans are done one the fly--you drop an item to be autioned onto the window and AL scans for comparable prices for that item. Good for those who want something to suggest a sell price but don't want to bother with the performance hit of Auctioneer.
    • AuctionMaster - Another lightweight auction mod. Reccommended by Echo.[/url]
    • Gatherer - Basically, it will remember where your gathering skill is used, and mate a note of it on your map. The note is made when you perform the skill, so you have to possess mining/herbalism, and you have to be at the appropriate skill level. However, other Gatherer users will share data between each other, so you may find nodes/herbs showing up at random. Gatherer has somewhat been replaced by the same function built into the Cartographer suite.
    • VendorValues - Adds the vendor sale price to the tooltip. No more guesswork on which crappy green quest reward will net you the most money when you sell it right back!

ToolTip Addons
    • CowTip - Another by ckknight, so you know the setup process is a painful. This one uses DogTags for it's tooltip information, meaning that you can pretty much do anything with it... if you can figure out how to program via DogTags. There are a few layouts in the CowTip discussion thread, if you feel like digging through seventy pages of tech talk.
    • TipTac - This seems most like the old TinyTip addon, which has been outdated for months.
    • TipTop - A nice little tooltip addon, this one colors the border by class and item quality.

Shits-and-giggles Addons
    • Segui - Annoy your guildmates and battlegroup members alike with spammy RP-text tied to all of your actions! Segui is extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of ways--I've used it most recently in replacement for Hex/resurrection/Sap macros (since Segui won't issue the command if the action fails). But it's loads of fun to come up with barbed witticisms to strike insult into the hearts of your enemies.
    • SexyMap - This is actually functional as well as fun--SexyMap is a minimap addon akin to SimpleMinimap or BasicMinimap, only it brings some extra graphical effects to the table. The downside is that the moverframe coding is absolutely terrible, and trying to get them positioned without resetting/jumping around the screen/disappearing/getting tied to your cursor is a hair-pulling excercise in frustration.
    • AtlasLoot Enhanced - Keep staring at all the loot you will never see, and link it to your guildmates.
    • Align - Not so much a fun addon but a functional one, Align throws a grid overlay on your screen. Perfect for the obsessive-compulsive UI modder who needs everything to line up perfectly.
    • Comix - displays old Batman-style ZAPPOW! text on your screen and shit.
    • Bejeweled - It's Bejeweled. In WoW. You'll never eat or sleep or leave the desk again.
    • Torgo - Plays the Torgo theme from MST3K's Manos: The Hands of Fate while stealthing around.
      Ledneh wrote: »
      I'm gonna crosspost this from SA because I can't recommend _cursor and CoolLevelUp enough, and the others might be worth looking at for the bored UI modder out there too.
      I was pretty bored yesterday and found myself digging through WoWInterface's downloads section looking for some useful/interesting addons I might have overlooked. There's certainly a lot of junk in there, but I did turn up a few gems...

Gems - apparently the guy Popcap hired to make their Bejeweled mod cut his teeth on a bunch of other in-game time wasters, including Gems, the Everquest easter egg/puzzle game you only played because the alternative was far worse. You can find his other game addons, as well as a somewhat buggy "arcade panel" addon for loading/unloading them, here. (It's worth noting that these haven't been updated in a few months, and you'll get an error popup when you first load the game or /reloadui. Haven't had any other problems with them, though.)

_cur_sor - everyone needs to download this immediately. It makes the ingame mouse cursor leave an animated trail, apparently created using WoW's particle effects system, and from what I can tell there is absolutely no performance hit/resource strain from this. The included particle styles look great, it can be customized with almost any particle effect in the game, and it can actually help you find the cursor much more quickly when there's a lot happening on-screen.

Talent Planner - makes plotting out talents much less painful, and it let me finally throw away the yellowing talent chart I printed out from wowhead that's been sitting folded up under my mousepad for months

Awwwww - plays the failure horns from The Price is Right when you die. There are other sounds available, too, but do you really need them?

Hear Kitty - great for rogues and cat druids, plays Wind Waker-style orchestral tones whenever you get combo points (or use them).

ChatIcons - places tiny icons in front of item links/achievements/tradeskill links/etc. in the chat frame. Fairly unobtrusive, and handy if you spend a lot of time in the trade channel or use autoloot

NeonChat - changes the color of your chatframe/editbox border to match the type of input (say, group, guild, etc). I'm always typing stuff in the wrong channel when I'm in a hurry, and this is a very elegant solution. Out of date, but still works without errors.

Medley - plays (customizable) sounds for various ingame events, most notably the peon "Work complete!" sound that i've missed dearly since the questlog mod which used to do it stopped being updated.

Automated Goblin Therapist - an ingame MegaHAL-style conversation engine, supposedly to deal with annoying tell spam. I've yet to find a practical use but it's fun to play around with

CoolLevelUp - makes a big deal out of your dings, throwing up a nicely animated Final Fantasy-style menu showing stat increases and another showing what new abilities (if any) are now available to learn, all the while blasting levelup music from various rpgs. It is corny as hell and I will never go without it again.

if anyone has suggestions for other interesting lesser-known addons, I'd love to hear them. I paid for this RAM and I'm damn well going to use all of it

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Macros... turning WoW into a single-button mash-fest (for Hunters) since 2004
    exis wrote: »
    Just post a link to WoWWiki. No need to duplicate good information.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Oh yes, this thread is for screenshots, too
    UI-3.27.09.jpg

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, last time I played, I spent more time designing/writing my own UIs than I did actually playing WoW. Then I reformatted, lost it all, quit playing, and never thought about it again.

Except now I've figured out a few friends from class play. And I'm looking for something to do until WAR comes out. And so I'm reinstalling WoW. It's been about a year since I last played; 2.03 is the latest patch I've still got sitting around.

Can someone give me a quick rundown over what's still being used UI-wise these days? Did Discord ever come back to be useful? WoWace still big?

I'm looking at WoWinterface and WoWace, but it's hard to get a feel for what's what, and I've probably got eons of patching ahead of me.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Discord died, I think it was resurrected again, but I don't think that's regularly updated. For unit frames the popular ones are Pitbull and Xperl. F

or bar mods, Bartender (3, I think?) and Bongos are the two that spring to mind.

Prat is a great chat addon. Does a tonne of stuff from formatting your chatlog to look pretty, to remembering who you sent tells to/which channel you spoke in so you don't need to type /g every time.

Scrolling Combat Text is uh... scrolling combat text. Look for SCTD.

Elkano's Buff Bars makes buffs into pretty bars instead of boring icons, not really needed for functionality though.

FuBar is the new TitanPanel. If you weren't around for either, it's a toolbar with billions (maybe not really billions) of smaller modules written for it for almost any possible application imaginable.

Cartographer is an awesome map mod. Look for that and LightHeaded (quest addon) for levelling ease.

That's all I can think of that are "necessary" off the top of my head.

exis on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Also if you get LightHeaded for questing, get TomTom too. It lets you add map waypoints from LightHeaded coordinates, locations for the NPC who you return the quest to are built in, but any other coordinates you need are usually supplies in the comments.

Dongpuller, what damage meter and action bar frames are you using? The action bars look kinda like Bongos but I don't recognize the healing value or outlines listed.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The Damage Meter is SW Stats and the actionbars are Pitbull.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dongpuller wrote: »

PitBull is a mod for unitframes, not actionbars.

EDIT:

Akira, the healing and damage numbers on the actionbars are from an addon called Dr Damage.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've been using forte warlock as a supplement to necrosis on my lock, and that seems pretty nice, although to get full functionality out of it I think all the locks would need it.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is there a mod that keeps track of all of your characters' crafting recipes so you can see what you have on one without needing to log out and back in?

If there is no such thing, I'd like to try my hand at making it. Is there a better resource than WoWwiki for modmaking stuff? It's pretty outdated and the things that are updated are done to the most basic of levels so figuring out anything complicated is pretty tough.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    Is there a mod that keeps track of all of your characters' crafting recipes so you can see what you have on one without needing to log out and back in?

If there is no such thing, I'd like to try my hand at making it. Is there a better resource than WoWwiki for modmaking stuff? It's pretty outdated and the things that are updated are done to the most basic of levels so figuring out anything complicated is pretty tough.

Near as I can tell, you learn Lua, look at other people's addons and see how things work. Then try your hand and modifying and/or making your own. The WowAce site has a Wiki entry for a basic Ace2 mod tutorial (a relatively complicated "Hello, World!", if you will).

I think Cladhaire and one other addon developer are writing a book geared towards [hopeful] addon authors. I'm sure Saeris will have some suggestions when he sees your post ;-)

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    TophobiiTophobii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This may be more of a Vista question, but when I try to extract Cartographer, I get the message "There is already a folder with the same name as the file name you specified. Specify a differant name."

Is there a way around this?

Tophobii on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Delete your old Cartographer folder? I don't know, I've not had a problem with it not letting me overwrite it.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TophobiiTophobii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There isn't an old Cartographer folder, within the folder there exists files and folders with the same name.

edit: Seems it was just a bad download.

Tophobii on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »

PitBull is a mod for unitframes, not actionbars.

EDIT:

Akira, the healing and damage numbers on the actionbars are from an addon called Dr Damage.
    Shit, I totally misread that... the actionbars are InfiniBar. And yes, the numbers are from DrDamage.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I see a lot of people who use Grid also having this weird mini-Grid thing on their screen. What is that?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2008

I know I had one of those mods way back when, but I can't remember the name of it. They do exist though.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »

I know I had one of those mods way back when, but I can't remember the name of it. They do exist though.

This?

EDIT:
    Saeris wrote: »
    :(

Sorry, but I was stuck with one when my old monitor died (same resolution, but wasn't shitty). My replacement came in December (sold out when I had the money for it). Going from 1680x1050 back to 1024x768 leaves me pining for more space. WoW always felt cluttered, mainly due to the fact that there wasn't a good way to position two chat windows at that resolution. If I was on my priest (and thus using Grid)...well, let's just say that I like to see the game that is behind my UI :lol:

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I see a lot of people who use Grid also having this weird mini-Grid thing on their screen. What is that?

You're not looking at Grid itself are you? You can resize the frames to be any shape/size you want. A lot of people use small squares.

Mine, things are out of position since I'm playing on my girlfriends computer at the moment. But most of the stuff I use is visible.
    ui-boston-jan14-1.jpg

All the heals are mouseover macros. In raids I'll usually just target a tank then spot heal by healing through Grid. <3 mouseover

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    This and this are examples.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    This and this are examples.

Oh, that's Decursive, not Grid.

exis on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Fodder wrote: »
    I've been using forte warlock as a supplement to necrosis on my lock, and that seems pretty nice, although to get full functionality out of it I think all the locks would need it.

I really really like the ForteWarlock DoT timer bars. I wish I could use the same bars for all my other characters too. I tried Chronometer and Sorren's Timers over the weekend and neither look as good or work correctly. :\

riz on
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Here is the list for Warriors and Warlocks, Saeris.
    Warrior:

Warrior70,Attack,Axe Specialization,Blacksmithing,Block,Blood Fury,Command,Dodge,Dual Wield,Find Minerals,First Aid,Hardiness,Master Swordsmith,Mining,Parry,Shoot,Smelting,Throw,Weaponsmith,Battle Stance,Charge,Hamstring,Heroic Strike,Mocking Blow,Overpower,Rend,Retaliation,Thunder Clap,Battle Shout,Berserker Rage,Berserker Stance,Bloodthirst,Challenging Shout,Cleave,Commanding Shout,Demoralizing Shout,Execute,Intercept,Intimidating Shout,Piercing Howl,Pummel,Recklessness,Slam,Sweeping Strikes,Victory Rush,Whirlwind,Bloodrage,Concussion Blow,Defensive Stance,Disarm,Intervene,Last Stand,Revenge,Shield Bash,Shield Block,Shield Wall,Spell Reflection,Stance Mastery,Sunder Armor,Taunt

Warlock:

Warlock70,Attack,Cannibalize,Dodge,Engineering,Find Minerals,First Aid,Goblin Engineer,Mining,Shadow Resistance,Shoot,Smelting,Underwater Breathing,Will of the Forsaken,Corruption,Curse of Agony,Curse of Doom,Curse of Recklessness,Curse of Shadow,Curse of the Elements,Curse of Tongues,Curse of Weakness,Death Coil,Drain Life,Drain Mana,Drain Soul,Fear,Howl of Terror,Life Tap,Seed of Corruption,Banish,Create Firestone,Create Healthstone,Create Soulstone,Create Spellstone,Demon Armor,Demon Skin,Detect Invisibility,Enslave Demon,Eye of Kilrogg,Fel Armor,Health Funnel,Inferno,Ritual of Doom,Ritual of Souls,Ritual of Summoning,Sense Demons,Shadow Ward,Soulshatter,Summon Dreadsteed,Summon Felhunter,Summon Felsteed,Summon Imp,Summon Succubus,Summon Voidwalker,Unending Breath,Conflagrate,Hellfire,Immolate,Incinerate,Rain of Fire,Searing Pain,Shadow Bolt,Shadowburn,Shadowfury,Soul Fire

Tyberius on
  • Options
    blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    suplol.jpg

Regarding keybindings from the earlier thread, there is nothing combat oriented that I have to click. All the non-combat crap (Buffs, Food, Water, Portals, Armors, Etc.) are kept on Cyrolsis, and there are some combat things that I click. For instance, Evocate. I haven't played my mage much at all since the patch they changed Evocate (if they did at all, I don't know), and the five second rule gave me plenty of time to bush butan for that. And besides, before modifiers, I've got 37 keys/buttons to bind combat stuff to.

It also lets me unclutter my action bars, which is important to me.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I wonder how reliable Bongos's profile feature is.

Because it would really, really suck to do some tinkering with my UI and then not be able to revert back once I realize I like things the way they are.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You could always just backup your saved variables file.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Saeris wrote: »
    You could always just backup your saved variables file.

I've been tempted to do saved variable backups the same way I handle my UI backups (the latter is because I use an updater and things may break unexpectedly):
    I use a git repository :P

Only the addons that I've changed myself (which is limited to Denial2 ATM) are exempt from this, since it has its own repository.

I'm not sure whether that makes me a special kind of crazy.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Updated the OP. None of the Macros section is written yet--ideally, they would all be special macros written here, for the PA community by the PA community, but as far as I know Saeris is the only guy who writes the things, and that's a lot of work to put on one man's shoulders, however mighty they may be. So I'll have to pilfer the major discussion sites for some choice ones.

The Addon list is also nowhere near a comprehensive list... I just can't sit and type in BBcode for longer than a couple of hours at a time before my brain starts seizing up. More to come later.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Updated the OP. None of the Macros section is written yet--ideally, they would all be special macros written here, for the PA community by the PA community, but as far as I know Saeris is the only guy who writes the things, and that's a lot of work to put on one man's shoulders, however mighty they may be. So I'll have to pilfer the major discussion sites for some choice ones.

The Addon list is also nowhere near a comprehensive list... I just can't sit and type in BBcode for longer than a couple of hours at a time before my brain starts seizing up. More to come later.

Just post a link to WoWWiki. No need to duplicate good information.

exis on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    For macros, Cogwheel's Complete Macro Guide deserves a link for everyone who wants to learn to write their own.

I also feel that TomTom (coordinates/waypoint addon, for those who don't want or need everything that Cartographer offers) and LightHeaded (in-game quest information from Wowhead) deserve to be mentioned as well.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I re-did My UI today and I really like it. When I get a chance I will post some pics.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is it possible to reproduce the "mouseover" feature of macros within a script?

What I want is something like Clique, but for the keyboard. Macros are messy and I have a limited number of them anyway. Click2cast almost works like this, but with key bindings, you have to press the hotkey then click on a unit frame for the spell to cast.. not precisely what I want.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I need to make a mod that adds a line to tooltips. Is there a good library for this I should look at?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    So I need to make a mod that adds a line to tooltips. Is there a good library for this I should look at?

You can look at TipHookerLib for that. RatingBuster uses it so you should find some examples of its usage there.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'll look into that. It's nothing really complicated I'll do; I'll have a huge array with item ids and gear points (our version of DKP) for the items, and add them to the tooltip.

Echo on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hmm, my cartographer dosent seem to be auto-noting the nodes. Ive got everything enabled so its baffeling me why it isn't doing it.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Had that problem once. Turned out it was CowTip that interfered, so I got another tooltip mod.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You really don't need a library to add lines to tooltips. It's only about two dozen lines of code.
    local function l_replacement_OnTooltipSetItem(tooltip)
    	local orig = tooltip.YOUR_ADDON_NAME_orig_OnTooltipSetItem;
    	if (orig ~= nil) then
    		orig(tooltip);
    	end

local _, link = tooltip:GetItem();
    	local baseID = link:match("item:(&#37;d+)", 13);
    	local points = YOUR_DATABASE[tonumber(baseID)];
    	if (points ~= nil) then
    		tooltip:AddLine(points);
    		tooltip:Show();
    	end
    end

local function l_Hook_Tooltip_OnTooltipSetItem(tooltip)
    	tooltip.YOUR_ADDON_NAME_orig_OnTooltipSetItem = tooltip:GetScript("OnTooltipSetItem");
    	tooltip:SetScript("OnTooltipSetItem", l_replacement_OnTooltipSetItem);
    end

l_Hook_Tooltip_OnTooltipSetItem(GameTooltip);
    l_Hook_Tooltip_OnTooltipSetItem(ItemRefTooltip);

Just replace "YOUR_ADDON_NAME" with some unique string that's not going to overlap any other addon's hook, and "YOUR_DATABASE" with the name of your giant "[baseID] = pointsValue;" table.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thanks, I was kind of waiting for your input. :P

And what's with all the Ace libraries with zero lines of documentation?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Also, here is the new Segui I've been working on. It's a complete replacement for SpeakEasyGUI. I liked the pronounciation of the acronym so much that I just renamed the addon while writing this new version. I also changed the database format significantly, though, so that's a valid reason to rename it. To import your old configuration, load both addons at the same time and type "/segui import". You must do this for every character for whom you have a configuration. This is a release candidate, it should be bug-free and complete, but I'm posting it here so you guys can help me check.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.