As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comics News Thread - Thread Title Updated for DouglasDanger!

• Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    wolverine's costume is easy- it should be the brown costume

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bust out those crayons Servo, we believe in you!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was so disappointed with the results of the Dick Grayson Project: Rooftop.

In other Dean Trippe news, Jemma is still doing the art for Butterfly (quite awesomely, btw), but Trippe is back on writing.

I found Jemma's writing to be a little too Fairly Odd Parents to appeal to adult comic fans and to children the way Trippe's does.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, this could be fun.
    The new Wizard (in shops Wednesday) has an interview with Grant Morrison and he reveals that his Multiverse project is called Multiversity

It is a seven issue series (more like seven one-shots, since all the issues will be #1) that will showcase the major superhero group of 7 Earths. Each issue will focus on 1 group and also have a series "bible", that provides the back story to that particular Earth. The issues will tie together to tell a single story "that reimagines the relationship between the DCU and the Multiverse"

He talked about the Charlton Universe specifically saying that he is writing it as if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched Watchmen today, using the contemporary political climate but with the actual Charlton characters.

He also hinted at a "Marvel Family" from Earth 5 issue intended as an all-ages book.

He said that he wants this to be his best story ever so he is going to take all the time he needs to write the seven issues.

Sounds good, but I have to wonder if anyone will care about the book by the time it comes out. I imagine it'll do well, since Morrison tends to have a pretty hardcore fanbase, but I feel like the idea's lost a lot of heat. It's nice that he wants to take the time to do it correctly though.

The stuff for the Charlton universe sounds interesting, but I'm really more excited for some classic Captain Marvel.

Munch on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A small bit that came out of a Newsarama interview with JMS: there is an upcoming crossover event focusing on the Siege of Asgard. I'm assuming, from how he phrased this revelation, that he's steering the direction of the crossover (and isn't too thrilled with the prospect of it being an event).

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That morrison series sounds rad as fuck. Hopefully he's got Quitely on some of them.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I love alternate realities or whatever and I generally enjoy Morrison's work. I'm looking forward to it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Well, this could be fun.
    The new Wizard (in shops Wednesday) has an interview with Grant Morrison and he reveals that his Multiverse project is called Multiversity

It is a seven issue series (more like seven one-shots, since all the issues will be #1) that will showcase the major superhero group of 7 Earths. Each issue will focus on 1 group and also have a series "bible", that provides the back story to that particular Earth. The issues will tie together to tell a single story "that reimagines the relationship between the DCU and the Multiverse"

He talked about the Charlton Universe specifically saying that he is writing it as if Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons had pitched Watchmen today, using the contemporary political climate but with the actual Charlton characters.

He also hinted at a "Marvel Family" from Earth 5 issue intended as an all-ages book.

He said that he wants this to be his best story ever so he is going to take all the time he needs to write the seven issues.

Sounds good, but I have to wonder if anyone will care about the book by the time it comes out. I imagine it'll do well, since Morrison tends to have a pretty hardcore fanbase, but I feel like the idea's lost a lot of heat. It's nice that he wants to take the time to do it correctly though.

The stuff for the Charlton universe sounds interesting, but I'm really more excited for some classic Captain Marvel.

Yesssss

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Didio's Q&A at Newsarama, some highlights:
    10. Any word on who will be sharing the art duties on Batman & Robin with Frank Quitely?

DD : We’ve selected our artist, and we’ll be announcing them soon. I’d prefer to have the book on the stands before announcing who the next artist will be – let’s get Frank’s work out there and give it a chance to shine before people start to worry about what’s next. But he’s currently working on another project, and will start his arc on Batman & Robin as soon as he’s done with that.

The book is so delayed.

16. Where is Ambush Bug #6?

DD : Right here on my desk.

NRAMA: Complete and finished?

DD : Ummm...a work in progress. It should be out within the next month to month and a half at the latest.

I wonder if Giffen will be leaving DC sometime soon, not sure if he's exclusive or anything right now.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Didio's Q&A at Newsarama, some highlights:
    10. Any word on who will be sharing the art duties on Batman & Robin with Frank Quitely?

DD : We’ve selected our artist, and we’ll be announcing them soon. I’d prefer to have the book on the stands before announcing who the next artist will be – let’s get Frank’s work out there and give it a chance to shine before people start to worry about what’s next. But he’s currently working on another project, and will start his arc on Batman & Robin as soon as he’s done with that.

The book is so delayed.

I wonder if Giffen will be leaving DC sometime soon, not sure if he's exclusive or anything right now.
    So wait, according to Didio, Quitely hasn't even started the art on B&R? What about that batmobile page we got?

EDIT: Ah, I guess I mis-read it. The other artist is starting his B&R stuff soon. Isn't is supposed to Phillip Tan?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I see it that way now, Futt. Didio needs to work on when to use pronouns.

Although it wouldn't surprise me either about Quitley.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

DD : Ummm...a work in progress. It should be out within the next month to month and a half at the latest.

Giffen signed an exclusive contract with DC like 6 months back, so yeah, he's not going anywhere. If he were going to quit, he probably would've back when DC forced him to help out the Countdown writers.

I'm also going to guess that Didio had a fit how much Ambush Bug made fun of him and that's why we haven't seen issue 6.

Futt Bucker: The original rumour (that has so far been 100% true) was that Quitely would draw the first three, then Tan would draw three, then Mahnke would draw three and then Quitely would finish it off with another three issues. I'm going to guess that that's when they're planning on bringing Bruce back and undoubtably shuffle around the Batman books again.

Anyway, that multiverse mini sounds amazing.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Giffen signed an exclusive contract with DC like 6 months back, so yeah, he's not going anywhere. If he were going to quit, he probably would've back when DC forced him to help out the Countdown writers.

I'm also going to guess that Didio had a fit how much Ambush Bug made fun of him and that's why we haven't seen issue 6.

Futt Bucker: The original rumour (that has so far been 100% true) was that Quitely would draw the first three, then Tan would draw three, then Mahnke would draw three and then Quitely would finish it off with another three issues. I'm going to guess that that's when they're planning on bringing Bruce back and undoubtably shuffle around the Batman books again.

Anyway, that multiverse mini sounds amazing.

Still sounds like Tan will draw 3. he's just finishing up Agent Orange, so is probably getting ready to begin his Batman & Robin work.

KVW on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OK, THIS is disturbing.

It would be pretty funny if this is the reason that Finch is being so late on Ultimatum and therefore delaying an entire brand relaunch.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Morrison said Tan's working on the next arc in Wizard. He said he wanted Frazer Irving to do one as well after he finished Azrael. Mahnke was planned, but he says it's uncertain now because Mahnke's working on Blackest Night. And Quitely will be back at the end of the year.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got some lettered pages of PLANETARY 27
    the other day. Laura's colouring it right now,
    although of course it has to fit around her own
    incredibly busy schedule. It'll arrive in Previews
    when it's ready.

warren ellis, via bad signal mailing list

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't click this if you haven't read, or seen spoilers for, Legion of Three Worlds, but Adventure Comics stands a good chance of being pretty awesome.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't click this if you haven't read, or seen spoilers for, Legion of Three Worlds, but Adventure Comics stands a good chance of being pretty awesome.

That looks cool, and I'm keen to know what that character's role in the DCU is going to be.

Also, I wonder what happens to Bart.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

That looks cool, and I'm keen to know what that character's role in the DCU is going to be.

Also, I wonder what happens to Bart.
    Bart is
    already back.

The art looks very nice, but I'm afraid of them fucking this up horribly. At the very least, it's distinctly possible Teen Titans just might get even worse.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I meant, "I wonder what happens to Bart after Legion of 3 Worlds concludes." Is he just going to be a supporting character in the Flash book or join the Titans or what?

And yeah, i just want Titans to be canceled at this point. All it's doing is preventing a better teen book from replacing it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I meant, "I wonder what happens to Bart after Legion of 3 Worlds concludes." Is he just going to be a supporting character in the Flash book or join the Titans or what?

And yeah, i just want Titans to be canceled at this point. All it's doing is preventing a better teen book from replacing it.
    I think both Titans books should be canceled. And then You can have a Teen Justice league with Donna(Amazon), Miss Martian(Badass Alien), Blue Beetle(Space Tech), Traci 13(Magic), Impulse (Flash) and all they need is a shadowy detective type.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They either need a second Flash book or expect a $3.99 Flash from Johns post-Rebirth with 8 page backups for Impulse and/or Wally or any other speedsters.

KVW on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You could also put Bart in Adventure Comics as well. Buddy cops!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How many books is that man writing now?

This could be good though. Best art I've seen in a DC book in I don't know how long.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Krypto is so awesome.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You could also put Bart in Adventure Comics as well. Buddy cops!

Oh man Connor and Bart in a buddy superhero-cop comic would be the best thing ever.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't make me hope for things that will never be, guys :(

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well both Ultimate Spider-man #132 and Ultimatum #4 have each been pushed back a week respectively (May 13 and May 27). Could be worse I guess but we'll see if they're pushed back another week soon.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just get a fill-in for Ultimatum, no one cares, just reboot the universe and then have Quesada chide the readers for not "getting" what Loeb was going for.

And USM has been delayed for a month or two already, lame.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bet Bendis is pretty irritated. Doesn't lateness annoy him? Hasn't the book never been late before this?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Right, Bendis doesn't like late books. And yeah, in the 9 years the book has been around, it was never late until now. Lame squared.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The lateness isn't Loeb's fault though, it's all on Finch. I just want to get some more info on the Ultimate Comics relaunch soon like what the forth ongoing title will be and any mini-series to look forward to.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Has Loeb tried to get out of the crosshairs on this by saying it's not his fault?

And yeah, seeing Finch doing a Strawberry Shortcake painting instead of his contracted work doesn't win him any points with people either.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Break it to Deadpool gently - Bea Arthur passed away.

I know I'm a horrible person. When I heard the news myself one of my first thoughts was to turn to my brother and go "I wonder if Marvel has Deadpool on suicide watch now?"

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lying in the Gutters is covering Dwayne McDuffie talking about his JLA run on the DC boards

Some interesting quotes:
    Yes, Anansi is supposed to be me, and the story arc is about my not having control of the stories in my book. Ironically, both [the Anansi/Vixen] story and the parallel Red Tornado arc were supposed to be smaller B and C plots in a much larger arc (involving Luthor's plan from my first arc, Starro, and Despero) that I wasn't able to do because of other plans in the DCU.
    there are three current members of the League I wish weren't on it.
    But continuity changed in other books (i was informed that Kendra would die in Final Crisis), so I had to toss it all. Actually twice, because my back up plan was derailed by Kendra's recent undeath.
    I think we could do a much better job of making the comic feel more self-contained while still serving the needs of the DCU, and I'm working on ways to do that, but the truth of the matter is, every three or four months, I have to sort of drop everything and deal with a crossover or other event. In my next arc of 6 issues, there are three of these events (four if you count the Milestone guest shot). That makes JLA integral to the DCU, but it also makes us lurch around more than a bit.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man Mcduffie must have a whole lot of patience not to just say "fuck it" and give up writing JLA.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, he also said he was working on arcs and plans for the next two years. So I'll assume that he does. Besides, it's still a high-profile gig. He knows he's not Morrison or Johns, and thus can't do whatever he wants, but he still seems to be making the most of it. I don't know. I barely read DC, but the more I read about the characters and get back into it the more I'd jump at a shot to be stuck in his editorial Hell. I'd kill to be stuck in his position.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    McDuffie is a professional and he's been at it for years. Hell, he's worked in animation aimed at kids for years. I imagine that'd wear down your tendency to blow up and storm off a project when editorial fucks with your plans. There are dozens of people who'd jump at the chance to write JLA in his place.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be honest, moaning about your job in such a public fashion doesn't come across as particularly professional. It's more petulant than anything.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If he was doing it with a different EiC, it would be unprofessional. With DiDio it's therapy.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
This discussion has been closed.