As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comics News Thread - Thread Title Updated for DouglasDanger!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    I find it funny that Pfeiffer is taking over when the last issue of BB mocked his work in Amazons Attack.

It'd be funnier if Rogers already knew about it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There's an article in this morning's New York Times about today's issue of Buffy. It also has the most explicit (and I say that more about the Times than the book) drawn image I've ever seen in the paper.

I guess you could say that it is their MotW.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Holy shit.

Thats uh.. unexpected.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No shit. Imagine flipping open the Arts section to do the crossword and seeing that at the top of the page first thing in the morning.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So, Valiant is back and releasing a HC of the first volume of X-O Manowar.

I only mention that because Valiant are the comics that turned me off comics. And for some reason the universe decided it was time to remind me of what comics shouldn't be.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I should pick that up. Valiant was a comic company I never really got into, but the issues I had were pretty quality.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It suffered from one of the same problems that Image did in relishing bloody ultraviolence. X-O was particularly noticeable in that regard.

However, they could put books out. So that put them way ahead of Image in that regard.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I got in trouble for bringing a Valiant comic to school once. I don't remember the issue, but the hero was fighting some bad chick and there was an exposed bra strap and that's why it was so terrible, not the fact that this dude and this chick were duking it out.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    hahaha

Good times. That would have been great if it was Bloodshot or HARD Corps. "What? Oh, the pages of blood-splattered gun murder is fine. Just no lingerie."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No, it was some solo dude, I don't know. Not one of the bigger characters, I know... if had been Solar or X-O or Magnus or somesuch I'd have remembered.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I dunno, I have a couple of issues of Ninjak that are actually pretty cool. That's the extent of my Valiant knowledge.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    The Valiant characters might be interesting if the right creators could re-imagine them.

I won a gold foil cover version of one of the Deathmate issues as part of an art contest held by one of the local comic shops when I was a kid. That's my retirement fund right there. :P

DMAC on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pre-UNITY, Valiant was a quality line of comics. Not so much after that.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you doggies seen this? Acuna on Eternals

Daniel "not even really mediocre but still gets steady work on mainstream books one after another somehow" Way is writing it. D:

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Daniel Way isn't writing it, the Knaufs are.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God damn it looks so good

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I really don't like Acuna, but I admit thats probably the best looking stuff I've seen from him.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    But I also dont really care about the Eternals and dont like the Knaufs' Iron Man

so I'll almost certainly pass

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What else has he done? That preview art looks pretty good to me, not sure why people wouldn't like him based on that.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Like I said thats the best work I've seen from him.

He was on the Flash relaunch with Mark Waid and he also did the Star Sapphire arc in Green Lantern, both of which were terrible.

His art is just so static, and on top of that everything is so soft. I remember he made Jai look like he was a marshmellow man.

His facial expressions are also retarded.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Here's some examples of the Acuna stuff I can't stand:

Flash
    acuna.jpg
    flsww_hc_solicit.jpg

Green Lantern
    20gl1.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, fair enough. That Flash image is just nasty, and the GL is so-so. Hopefully he comes through with the promise of those Eternals images though, it looks like it could be good.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Part of it seems to be the color (don't know if he colors his own work or not). Sometimes they overdo it with the color line art to the point where it loses definition. Overall though I like his work.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Manhunter returns in June.

with Michael Gaydos on art!

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    From the WWLA coverage on Newsarama:

boogcv10sb8.jpg

I imagine this will be the end of the Beetle story, with the cover signifying the necessity of one of these people killing Beetle to reset the status quo. Or it's going to play out like this.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Words cannot describe how happy I am to read that Jeph Loeb is going to write a Captain America story. And even better, a story with Cap, Buck and Fury. Because I guess there's no one else at Marvel who can do that story, let alone has done so.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    that Loeb/Sale thing is going to be completley different than Bru's Cap. it's not even really analogous.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's Loeb writing Cap. I wish it was analogous. It'll probably just be crap.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://www.newsarama.com/WWLA/08/Marvel/xmen.html Looks like Fraction is lending a hand with Uncanny #500

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, that explains him getting a co-writer for PWJ. Fucker's busy.

You forgot to mention that he's also gone Marvel-exclusive. But they made an exception for Casanova. So no worries there. Fraction interviews CBR about it.
    Fraction and Brubaker's collaboration on "Uncanny X-men" is a lot different than the way they work together on "The Immortal Iron Fist," where the two writers work together on the same issue. "We plot the big things together and than we sort of just go off on our own," Fraction explained. "Ed has his issues and then I have mine and we just kind of swap back and forth doing mini-arcs.

Fraction will directly co-write his first "Uncanny X-Men" issue, #500, with Brubaker. From there he'll write the next few issues, #501-503, on his own and then Brubaker will pick things up again. "We structured the thing so it's a fiendishly organic sort of narrative," Fraction stated. "Stories grow and recede in importance as we go. We just kind of say, 'That's your story and this is my story' and then we bounce back and forth. It's not even that rigidly patterned at this point, but it will be very organic."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    He's got Remender working with on PWJ, which should be awesome. Fear Agent is the best manly book noone reads.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    From the WWLA coverage on Newsarama:
    boogcv10sb8.jpg

I imagine this will be the end of the Beetle story, with the cover signifying the necessity of one of these people killing Beetle to reset the status quo. Or it's going to play out like this.

Ted Kord shoots Evil Blue Beetle. Ted Kord Wins!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Have you ever read any of the Loeb/Sale "Color" books? They are great, I am looking forward to this.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No. I've done a good job of avoiding them.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm happy about the Bru/Fraction news.

As far as Blue Beetle goes, I'm thinking Johns is going to take a page out of his android Hourman / Rex Tyler Hourman playbook.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Have you ever read any of the Loeb/Sale "Color" books? They are great, I am looking forward to this.

I wouldn't call them "great". Most are just cashing in on nostolgia. The Spider-Man one is just one big fluff piece only really supported by Tim Sale's art. DD: Yellow looked nice and that was about it. I didn't read Grey to comment on it. Nothing happens in these colour books. No character development, no impact on continuity, no entertaining events or new takes on the character or anything of real value. Just fluff pieces set in long gone eras that fans want to see more of and will take whatever they can get.

They weren't bad or anything like his work of the past 5 or so years, but I wouldn't really expect anything to good to come out of this. His interviews have him saying America had to save everyone and win WWII all on their own and the series will look at how other countries didn't like that. Marvel's WWII must have been different from real life I guess. Buying it for Tim Sale's art is the only reason I can see for actually wanting this.

KVW on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A few interesting bits from the latest DC Panel -

Robinson then announced that he's working on a new Justice League book called - wait for it - Justice League. "Hal Jordan decides that he wants a pro-active team," said Robinson. "They never go out and bring in people. This team will go after the equivalent of the FBI's most wanted list, sometimes in different countries, sometimes through time. It's a nice eclectic team of established teams and some oddball characters I've thrown in." Along with Hal Jordan, Robinson named Green Arrow as a member. When writing the two characters, Robinson said "I just imagine me and Geoff Johns talking to each other."
    Robinson expanded on the lineup, naming Ray Palmer. "He's not The Atom, but he still has the costume, and he still shrinks," Robinson says. "That's not to say at some point he won't be The Atom but again, but for now, he's Ray Palmer."
    Also on the team? Supergirl, Batwoman (DiDio: "Whoops, we weren't supposed to say that one. Just kidding!"), Freddy Freeman in "whatever name he's going to have" (which DiDio said was Shazam), and Starman. No, not the Jack Knight Starman that Robinson made famous in the '90s, but the blue, alien Mikaal Tomas Starman. Robinson said the final member is an "old, 90-year-old man named Bill." "People are going to love this character by the time I'm done with him," Robinson said. The writer was about to name the artist, but no, DiDio cut him off and said they were going to hold off on that announcement.

Interesting.
    "Chance of a Great Ten ongoing?" Yes.

It'll be here someday.
    "Darwyn Cooke working on a Justice Society character?" Cooke: "I can almost guarantee it."

Interesting x2

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

I wouldn't call them "great". Most are just cashing in on nostolgia. The Spider-Man one is just one big fluff piece only really supported by Tim Sale's art. DD: Yellow looked nice and that was about it. I didn't read Grey to comment on it. Nothing happens in these colour books. No character development, no impact on continuity, no entertaining events or new takes on the character or anything of real value. Just fluff pieces set in long gone eras that fans want to see more of and will take whatever they can get.

They weren't bad or anything like his work of the past 5 or so years, but I wouldn't really expect anything to good to come out of this. His interviews have him saying America had to save everyone and win WWII all on their own and the series will look at how other countries didn't like that. Marvel's WWII must have been different from real life I guess. Buying it for Tim Sale's art is the only reason I can see for actually wanting this.

I don't understand why "no impact on continuity" is a negative.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.