As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour, August 27th-28th (LOCATION VOTING IN PROGRESS)

• Options
    will_cut_grass_for_rupeeswill_cut_grass_for_rupees Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey, I can help out too, if you need me! I was even an official tour guide once!

Also, I know it might not be optimal for some people but I definitely suggest spreading out your tour over a couple days. Some of the places on your list (like the Museum of Flight and EMP) take days to look through just by themselves!

Some other things that are cool: walking around Pioneer Square (not at night), the Pacific Science Center (this also could take up a whole day), and the Columbia Tower viewpoint (it's the tallest building west of the Mississippi, it has higher views than the Space Needle, but it's not a 360 degree view).

The Pacific Science Center is a bit much to try and pack in, but its surrounding Seattle Center is an awesome place to hang out: there is the Fountain, Carnival Rides, and there is an arcade also, but I don't recommend it. They do have one of those old air gun games though (the one where you shoot the target and make creepy puppets do things). If you want to ride the monorail, this is a nice place to stop off and look around.

will_cut_grass_for_rupees on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Awesome, that'd be great! =)

I'm definitely thinking about a multi-day tour... particularly because most of the people who want to go now that only have one day available have it on Thursday, and thursday's sort of a "half day" if you want to go to the other Pre-PAX events too. I'm thinking we might split it into a Wednesday and Thursday thing.

Anyways, I'll update the list with the suggestions you gave as well when I get back from work!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alright, so I just confirmed my end date with my COOP job. It has been changed to August 25 so I can confirm that I will be in Seattle on the 26th. Thus, I can do both Wed and Thurs if this thing does extend to both days.

horseman85 on
    PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Good dealin'! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Indeed I plan on driving up Sunday the weekend before pax so sign us up (group of 4)

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Awesome! Will do! So you can drive yourselves if you have a car (in case we decide not to go Public Transit), right? Just making sure for our notes.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I've begun work on a little website to hold this info, when I find a host I'll post it up here.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, so I spent a bit of time this weekend thinking about what I'd like to see in the Pre-PAX Tourist Group (aka Nerdcore Tour) website, and I think I went too far but as a consequence it could be useful to other groups potentially.

Anyways, here's the things I really want to implement:

--- For Event Attendees/General Users

* Register an account that can identify you as you use the site (of course ;) ).

* Register for an event, and declare that you will be attending some or all of the days.

* Choose a car to ride in (either for the duration, or for some of the days depending on how many days the car will be available for you to ride in), and account for people who will be "automatically" traveling with (but may not necessarily want to register on the website) such as relatives, friends coming along, etc... when they then register for an event (such as the Nerdcore Tour).

* Register their car (how many passengers it fits, etc...) as a carpool car for events, and then allow the system to automatically manage who rides with you based on how many people the car can fit and how many people you have to have with you.

* Be able to optionally set a password or approval system so that users attending events have to get permission before they can be scheduled to ride in your car for some or all of the trip (if desired).

* Vote for which days an event should take place.

* Vote for which activities should be included in an event (in this case, which tourist locations we should visit), and on what day those activities should be done.

* Review the progress of voting for days and activities.

* Review who is in your car and pickup information (if applicable/relevant)

* Review event information (directions to each waypoint with Google Maps, meeting times etc...)

--- For Administrative Tasks

* Schedule initial events, pool of possible activities, pool of possible days for events, and locations where various events could take place.

* Reporting to see who still doesn't have a ride for a given event (to help them get it manually if needed), if there's a driver deficiency that will need resolving, what the outcome was of the day/activity/location voting, etc...

--- Completely out of scope ideas I had while thinking about it

* Vote for locations at which the activity should be held. (I guess this'd be useful if it was an activity that could be theoretically done at various places, like if we wanted to vote on where the Pre-PAX dinner would be for example)

* Support for an activity occurring multiple times in a single event day (kind of the consequence of normalizing the database... but it'd be good if, say, we had some kind of Pre-PAX lecture series and the same lecture was held at multiple times during the day)

* Support for multiple events (originally I thought this might be useful in case there's ever a Nerdcore Tour 2009, but it could be used for many different events)

Anyways, I still have more normalizing to do of the database before I have a good idea in my head about how I'm going to go about this... I'm hoping that Rails will generate a lot of gruntwork for me so this project won't take too long. =) Just wanted to keep you guys up to date on it. I have no idea when an ETA would be on this thing.

Spoiler for those who might be able to help me spot any errors I might have in my database design before things get out of hand... any help is appreciated. =)

entity_diagram.png

NOTE: More info on each of the tables in the ERD diagram above... I'll try to explain the conceptual tables as best I can below.

Users = Basic contact info in case we need to get a hold of you (to pick you up in a carpool, or if you're a driver and no-show for example)

Cars = You can register one or more cars with the system, and they'll be available for you to optionally register for use at any event you desire (for as many days of the event as you desire)

EventCars = Maps which cars have been registered for use in an event, regardless of if it's for the whole event or just some of it.

EventDayCars = Maps which cars have been registered for use in a specific day of an event. To register as a driver for an Event Day, you're pledging driving duty for that entire days' activities. You can also (optionally) make the car's availability "private" for any given days of an event or the whole event, which means that a user must be approved by you before they can ride in your car.

EDACars (Event Day Attendee Cars) = Maps the attendees for a particular Event Day that will be riding in a given car on that same event day.

Events = For starters, the Nerdcore Grand Tour 2008. We'll be able to add other events, or hopefully if I do this right other Pre-PAX events can use it too if desired.

EventDays = The *possible* days that an event might take place. A flag will exist in the table that will be set when the event days are absolutely determined for the event to indicate which ones were actually chosen.

EDPrefs = (Event Day Preferences) This maps a users' vote for which day(s) the event should take place.

EAs = (Event Attendees) Maps the users who will be attending a given event, whether they are attending some or all of it.

EDAs = (Event Day Attendees) Maps the users who will be attending a specific day of a given event.

Activities = A given activity that may be conducted at an event, without regard to when the activity would take place or where it would take place at. This would just have the Who, What, Why, and How information.

EActs = (Event Activities) Maps the Activities that have been pre-selected as potentially being activities that could be done at a given Event. For instance, there may be Nerdcore Tour activities (such as "See the Space Needle") in the same database with WCST activities (such as "Drive to Waypoint in Butte, Montana"). The Admin of a given event would determine which activities may be appropriate for the event and choose those for people to vote for.

EActPrefs = (Event Activity Preferences) This maps a users' vote for or against the given Activity being a part of the given event AT ALL.

EActDayPrefs = (Event Activity Day Preferences) This maps a users' vote for which day the Activity should take place on for a given event, if at all.

Locations = These are possible locations where events could take place. For instance, the address of the Space Needle might exist as a location, and the "Visit the Space Needle" activity would only have this Location as an available location. However, an event like "Play D&D" might have several possible addresses (for example, the addresses of nearby gaming stores or friendly restaurants) to choose from.

EActLocPrefs = (Event Activity Location Preferences) This maps a users' vote for which Location the activity should take place at for a given event, if at all.

EActLocations = (Event Activity Locations) This maps all of the possible locations that an Event Activity is allowed to take place at. The Administrator would set these restrictions when creating possible Event Activities, so as to prevent people from voting to "visit the space needle" at "Greg's Garage in Wisconsin" for example. ;) )

EDayActs = (Event Day Activities) This maps the end result of the locations and Activities that were chosen to occur on a given day of a given event. Note that removing this (and instead having a direct relation between Activity Locations and Event Days) would be simpler, but wouldn't theoretically allow for an activity to take place multiple times and at multiple locations on a given event day. This indirection allows for such a possibility.

Anyways, all of this is what I've been sketching out in my free time today and yesterday. I think the concept needs some work, so if anyone has any suggestions on a conceptual level speak up!

Currently, the only thing I can see that I'm missing is possibly some tables to track if a user that requested to drive in a "private" carpool car was accepted/denied access... and I think I might want to have an "ActivityLocations" table so that the possible locations for an activity could be globally set instead of individually for each event if desired. I don't know if that's a good idea though so I've still got to think about it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    uh. Looks over-engineered :)

Quick! Get this man some time-wasting games! STAT! :)

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry about that =) lol

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry about that =) lol

Heh. don't worry, happens to all of us.

I'd go with the KISS principle. Start out with a list of events, a list of people going. We do a small vote to pick out the favorites (ie, the ones you do closer to PAX, so more people are likely to come as they'll actually be in town) and go from there. I wouldn't jump into making a giant app to manage it until the list on the first page of this thread gets too big, imho.

Hell, I'd be inclined to assign people to cars by random lot, after pre-stated preferences (by the driver).

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Actually, just noticed something else, BTW.
    You've got the monorail listed on the first post in this thread. Uh. That goes to/from the space needle only, generally. It's not going to get us anywhere other than that, and it's a few blocks away from the convention centre.
    Don't know if someone mentioned that already.

ashridah on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Also, I can add a poll to this thread with up to 10 options that allows people to vote for multiple items and have their handles displayed under what they voted for. You could use that to gauge who wants to go where and figure out transport from there.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    I can definitely see where you're coming from ashridah... I started getting way into it and it went over the top on features.

Moe's poll idea should work... That's what I needed really: the ability for people to vote for multiple possible locations (so we could narrow down where we'd go).

Once we have the list finalized, I'll let you know what options to add for the poll then Moe. Thanks! =)

(Also, you're right that if the Monorail only goes to the Space Needle it won't do. That's too bad, it'd be neat to ride the monorail all around Seattle... if only it existed as a viable option. =( )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    M0nk3y523M0nk3y523 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, I'd be more then happy to tag along. We're planning on going up to Seattle early, and it'd be great to do things with a bunch of other PAX people. I can drive, and I'll have between 2 additional seats that I know of, but put me down for 1 extra (apparently someone's cousin is coming too.). I'd be down for a Wednesday or early Thursday thing (go go pre-PAX stuff around the city).

The more I check this thread, the more excited I am. How close are we to nailing down a day/time?

M0nk3y523 on
    myspace
    Wii Friend Code: 5730 7685 6843 4615
    SSBB Code: 3909 7563 1956
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fantastic! I'll be sure to add you to the list when I get back from work! =)

I'm not quite sure on the exact day/time, but I'm 100% sure that we'll at least be doing some (if not most) of the tour on Wednesday given what the majority of current tour-goers can do.

There's some people who might only be able to go on Thursday, so the current question right now is if we'll have a one and a half day event where we do a lot on Wednesday and then go to a couple of the cooler sites on Thursday (ending in time for the Pre-PAX dinner optionally).

We'll be hashing out the details probably a month from now or so (I want to see if more people are interested in signing up before setting everything in stone), but in a week or so I'll have Moe put up the poll for what sites we want to see and we'll go from there. Just know that Wednesday is pretty much a lock right now for the date, and Thursday's probably a 70% possibility right now for the second day of it.

We *could* also extend it to Tuesday (maybe some of the less popular sites on the tour we could hit on Tuesday) if it looks like there'll be too many sites to hit in a day and a half. But I'll try to get a poll going on that once we finish the poll on where everyone would prefer to go.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    will_cut_grass_for_rupeeswill_cut_grass_for_rupees Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ashridah wrote: »
    Actually, just noticed something else, BTW.
    You've got the monorail listed on the first post in this thread. Uh. That goes to/from the space needle only, generally. It's not going to get us anywhere other than that, and it's a few blocks away from the convention centre.
    Don't know if someone mentioned that already.

If there will be an entourage of carpool cars, then the monorail may be a bit unnecessary... The ride is pretty short, but it is a nice way to get from downtown to the Seattle Center (much easier and cheaper than driving and parking) if that is a place people would like to visit. And it's so cool!

will_cut_grass_for_rupees on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would recommend seeing Seattle Center. Even if you end up just wandering around, it's a very nice part of the city. Parking is a bitch.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aye... I'm thinking, given what I've seen so far, that cars would be ideal for outlying areas (Boeing, for example), but sites in the city itself we should do by bus.

Maybe we could do something where one day is "downtown" sites (everyone leaves their cars at home) and the second day is "outlying" sites (and everyone meets at some central destination and drives out?

What do you guys think of that idea?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Maybe you should do the outlying areas on Wednesday and stick to downtown on Thursday. This way, you guys are around downtown for the other pre-pax activities.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Aye, I think that's a great idea! That'd be a good plan in my opinion. Unless anyone has any objections to that idea, I think we should stick with that plan. It'd be quite convenient for everyone I imagine.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Okay, let's make some official preliminary decisions.

DECISION TIME: WHEN the event will take place

It's become obvious that Wednesday and Thursday will be the most optimal days for most people, and there was a great suggestion made by Moe that we should have "out of town" destinations take place on Wednesday and "in-town" destinations take place on Thursday morning/early afternoon (so we can all get to the other pre-PAX events if desired).

I'm going to make an executive decision (since I feel we really need to know this information sooner than later) and ask that, unless someone raises an objection in the next 48 hours, we go ahead and make this the official days.

So speak now, or forever hold your peace! =)

After we decide this, I'll give another week for finalizing of possible destinations. We'll close the list of possible destinations after that, and then have a vote on which ones we want to see. I'll use that vote to try and come up with a finalized schedule before the end of the month.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    AAARGH THE PRESSURE IS TOO MUCH

heh. Nah, That seems reasonable to me.

ashridah on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    me and lewiep are interested, we arrive on the tuesday, leave monday 1st sept at 11.00, so couldn't join anything post pax.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fantastic! Aye, we won't be doing anything after PAX. The date's pretty much officially set to be the Wednesday and Thursday before (since no one voiced any complaints). Welcome to the group! I'll add you after work... I think I need to add another person as well, I forgot to yesterday.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Justus and I are interested, we arrive on Thursday just before noon, if there's anything we could join in for the afternoon/evening we'd be up for it.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Justus and I are interested, we arrive on Thursday just before noon, if there's anything we could join in for the afternoon/evening we'd be up for it.

Well, the evening has the pre-pax dinner, pub crawl and/or drinking @ shorties. See other threads for details. As for catching up during a day, might be fun to organise, but it'll be clearer when an exact schedule has been worked out.

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aye, I definitely think if you're coming at noonish or later, you should see if the Pre-PAX dinner and other events might be in order. I'd love to extend the tour further, but something tells me that most of the crowd wouldn't want for the tour to encroach on those events. =(

If there's any possibility of you guys coming earlier than that, you should definitely be able to catch up with the main group: Thursday's going to be the "in downtown" tour day, so ideally we'll be hitching bus rides around town and you guys could just hitch one with us and resume the journey. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ok, i totally accept i'm a noob, but i have looked for it, honest! i can't find the thread about the pre-pax dinner, only shorty's and the pub crawl. i'm not up for the pub crawl, as i don't think i'll be able to walk far enough - cfs - and would really like to find out about the dinner. help please!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ok, i totally accept i'm a noob, but i have looked for it, honest! i can't find the thread about the pre-pax dinner, only shorty's and the pub crawl. i'm not up for the pub crawl, as i don't think i'll be able to walk far enough - cfs - and would really like to find out about the dinner. help please!

Pre-PAX Dinner thread for this year hasn't been started yet.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm interested. I'll most likely be arriving on Monday, so anything after that is fine by me.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

No worries! =) Aye, it hasn't started yet... I heard mumbling about it a couple months ago or so, and that's the only reason why I knew about it (and thus could plan the Nerdcore Tour around it). All is good! =) Someone's bound to post here when they start up the planning.

Also Cynic and Hypatia, welcome! We'll need a couple more pieces of info from you, like if you can drive (and how many you can seat if you can) and how many other people might be coming with you (you mentioned that Hypatia, but I don't know how many might be coming with Cynic yet). Thanks! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey Vthornheart,

My gf will be coming with me so could you please add a person under my name?

horseman85 on
    PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Vthorn, no license and so far it looks to be just me.

I got a big bonus a month ago, so I figured I'd get a license, but there's 8 months worth of waiting time here in Dublin. Insane insane.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    On the question of driving, we wouldn't be able to because we probably won't be getting a car. And the grand total under my name would just be the 2, me and the bf.

Thanks!

Hypatia on
  • Options
    M0nk3y523M0nk3y523 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just as an FYI, I added one more person, so it looks like we'll have a van. We should be able to work about 2-3 more people as rides.

M0nk3y523 on
    myspace
    Wii Friend Code: 5730 7685 6843 4615
    SSBB Code: 3909 7563 1956
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No problemo on all counts (Monkey, Hypatia, Cynic and Horseman).

I'll make all the changes I didn't make yesterday tonight, along with these. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Okay, I've updated everyone's information, and officially set the dates as Wednesday, August 27th (all day) and Thursday, August 28th (half day).

Coming up next, event voting! Stay tuned!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm probably just blind, but... how is nerdcore involved with this?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I was referring to nerdcore as a play off of "hardcore", not referring to the musical style... though I can see where there'd be confusion on that topic.

Edit: Hmm... I bet a lot of people would probably think the same thing as you did now that I think about it... maybe a name change is in order to avoid confusion? I need a better name for the tour group if anyone's up for coming up with one. =)

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.