As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2006 [LOOK HERE]

TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in PAX Archive
Dear PaX attendees in the northeastern united states,

I, Tom, who has never been able to maintain a name on this site, am organizing a road trip. Me and my friend Josh, (some of you may know us) will be driving out to PaX this year. Plane tickets are Hell of expensive. Personally, I am wondering if anyone else is interested in joining us, or coming along. If you think I suck and should go away, that's cool too I guess...

Edit by Doc:
The next 10 pages or so are neatly organized in a FAQ post at http://www.ccsupertrip.org

TomExMachina on

• Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2006
    It's hella expensive to eat and gas a car for the miles it's going to take to get there. Is it really that much cheaper?

graizur on
  • Options
    TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    No, but it will be a more worthy cause. I would much rather spend 200 bucks on sammiches than on a plane ticket.

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    200 bucks? That'll get you halfway there in sammiches. Expect $400 each way for gas alone.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    That is what I am saying. Listen, dude. Worthy yes, maybe, but it's a lot more fun to show up a couple of days early and hang out with all the other people there early. It's like hide and go seek tag finding all the other pax geeks sightseeing in Seattle (are there really two Ts in seattle?).

It just is. Dude. Show up man. Gas is way to expensive. I mean for the WCST maybe, or if there was a big movement to get together an ECST it MIGHT be cool. But thing is, it's cheaper, faster, more convinient, and I really don't want to deal with middle america. I am from NYC for goodness sake. Some one would die and I don't want to have that on my hands. I really don't.

graizur on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2006
    I like ham.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    It's full of protein

NotASenator on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2006
    it's spelled "sandwich"

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    earl of boxface.

graizur on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2006
    EDITNESS! The next 10 pages or so are neatly organized in a FAQ post at http://www.ccsupertrip.org

I've driven across the country before and I'm ready to do it again. I'm in Cleveland, OH and it's about a 34 hour drive to Seattle from here. I'm ready to do it, I should have at least one extra driver. Actually, I'm prolly gonna miss my first day of classes for this being that they start the monday after PAX. Even if I sign up for classes on Tues and Thurs, I'll still prolly not get back till late monday night, but who cares. I'm down for the driving craziness, I can pull fifteen straight hours of driving by myself without dying, I'm sure I can do more with people in the car, so let's do this thing. CROSS COUNTRY SUPERTRIP AHOY! Hello Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho!

P.S. I drove to california living off of 6 bags of beef jerky and a half case of gatorade.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2006
    Moe you are awesome.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    I've driven across the country before and I'm ready to do it again. I'm in Cleveland, OH and it's about a 34 hour drive to Seattle from here. I'm ready to do it, I should have at least one extra driver. Actually, I'm prolly gonna miss my first day of classes for this being that they start the monday after PAX. Even if I sign up for classes on Tues and Thurs, I'll still prolly not get back till late monday night, but who cares. I'm down for the driving craziness, I can pull fifteen straight hours of driving by myself without dying, I'm sure I can do more with people in the car, so let's do this thing. CROSS COUNTRY SUPERTRIP AHOY! Hello Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho!

P.S. I drove to california living off of 6 bags of beef jerky and a half case of gatorade.

My 2 hr bus trip pales in comparison. You sir, are a god.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    *takes a bow*

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    200 bucks? That'll get you halfway there in sammiches. Expect $400 each way for gas alone.

actually, expect about 250 bucks for gas on the estimate of 25 miles/gallon on a 2500 mile trip (each way, of course), amount may vary depending on distance and milage of your car, so do the math for your car. but that's my estimate on mine each way. with four people in the car, that does equal much less than a plane ticket for each of you

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    CROSS COUNTRY SUPERTRIP AHOY! Hello Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho!

Hello Moe, nice to hear from you.

Would you like to pick me up? That would be super cool.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Northern Idaho? Please say yes.

the dough on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    LogicLB wrote:
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    CROSS COUNTRY SUPERTRIP AHOY! Hello Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho!

Hello Moe, nice to hear from you.

Would you like to pick me up? That would be super cool.

Let's make this easy, what of the following major cities does anybody out there on the east coast live nere:

Cleveland, OH
    Columbus, OH
    Cincinnati, OH
    Pittsburg, PA
    Boston, MA
    New York, NY
    Baltimore, MD
    Miami, FL
    Jacksonville, FL
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Lexington, KY
    Louisville, KY
    Nashville, TN
    St. Louis, MO
    Kansas City, MO
    Chicago, IL
    Atlanta, GA
    Omaha, NE
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Northeastern Wyoming
    and along Interstate 90 in Montana, Idaho and Washington

or basically , if you live anywhere on the purple line below, leave a post here so we can get an idea of where people are coming from and how we'll need to shape the route.

CrossCountrySupertrip.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I live in Sandpoint, Idaho, and I could make it down to Couer D Alene which I-90 passes through. I have about 4 other friends that would probably be willing to join the trip too. I have never been on a trip like this before though, how does it work? Are we talking a big bus or a convoy or what? I am down regardless.

the dough on
  • Options
    The SwazzoThe Swazzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    This is something that needs to happen. For me and the dough

The Swazzo on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    If you guys came through Des Moines, I would join in the convoy. I'd even be willing to pick up 3 additional people if my truck is in good shape in August.

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2006
    I'm in Columbus, I'm only 16, but I wanted to know whether this would be like convoy, or just one big car and that's it, or maye it might be better to meet up in one city and then rent a charter?
    I'm just throwing out ideas, but anyone's input on exactly how this road trip would be set up would be beneficial

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    The way I envision this trip is much the same as the West Coast Supertrip layout, Departure times in different cities are coordinated so that people can meet up in different cities along the way. These are organized into "waypoints" and will be mapped out with the trip.

The map above shows multiple parallel routes that all eventually converge on each other and becomes one final route in Omaha, NE. Depending on the number of people from any given area, some routes will be eliminated and/or altered to suit the most people travelling together at once.

I do not plan on using a charter bus for any of my group. I look foward to driving across the country again and would rather not look at the road from the window of a bus. If some people wish to throw down on a charter to come with the group, feel free. I doubt you will have trouble filling it up.

I don't know how to get sponsorship for this endeavor, I am aware that the WCST has several sponsors and if anybody has information that may help us charter a bus, that would be cool.

I plan on sending out bumper stickers (or most probably e-mailing out jpegs) with a logo and a number cooresponding with your waypoint to be displayed on your car. I will also write out a checklist for recommended items for a cross-country journey like this, including foods to bring along, multi-channel walkie talkies and emergency stuff.

If people are serious, then let's make this work, the more people I know locations and potential drivers and vehicles in the better. I see the first step as planning out the route from the easternmost point(s) to Bellvue.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Just as I thought, there is no Cedar Rapids, MI....but a Cedar Rapids, IA! A dirty trick. Anyways, I'm from Marshall, MI (sits right on the junction of I-94 and I-69 in south-central Michigan). So I can make it to either Chicago or Detroit.

[EDIT]Or I suppose Indianapolis.[/EDIT]

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    El WhitoEl Whito Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Dude, HELL YES.

I've been wanting to do this ever since the Great American Super Trip bombed last year. I live in central Michigan, and would be willing to go anywhere for this convoy, or whatever it is. I have a car that gets 35 mpg, and I'm 16. So, I'm in for the closest waypoint I can get to, and if anyone wants to ride with me, but my car is pretty small :D .

EDIT: Oh shits I just remembered my dad has an 80's 15 passegner Dodge van, if we could use it I think he'd be totally cool with me taking it. I'd have to ask though.

El Whito on
    Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
  • Options
    ZiggoZiggo Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

ceres on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Ziggo wrote:

Shit, Ziggo. You've got me hoping you make it. I know exactly what it feels like to realize you might actually be able to go, after reading about it the last two years. For me that moment came last night when I was reading Gabe's newspost. Best of luck.

ceres on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Heh, thanks ^_^. I guess when I read it the several years of thinking about goin' to a big gaming Con like this just kinda all came out at once :S

Ziggo on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Everybody with a car (edit: who has more than 12 hours to drive to PAX) is going to need to make sure they have a second driver. There will be no overnight hotel stop on this Supertrip.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    Everybody with a car is going to need to make sure they have a second driver. There will be no overnight hotel stop on this Supertrip.

Moe is hardcore like that

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    El Whito wrote:
    Dude, HELL YES.

I've been wanting to do this ever since the Great American Super Trip bombed last year. I live in central Michigan, and would be willing to go anywhere for this convoy, or whatever it is. I have a car that gets 35 mpg, and I'm 16. So, I'm in for the closest waypoint I can get to, and if anyone wants to ride with me, but my car is pretty small :D .

EDIT: Oh shits I just remembered my dad has an 80's 15 passegner Dodge van, if we could use it I think he'd be totally cool with me taking it. I'd have to ask though.

Find out about that van, also, what city in MI do you live in, I'm pinpointing where people are on the map, and I need to know where you are so I can figure the best waypoint for you.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    This is starting to really come together. Wows. How much for a seat if I have no car but want to come along from NYC?

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    This is starting to really come together. Wows. How much for a seat if I haveno car but want to come along from NYC?

I don't know about that yet, as of yet we have no confirmed vechicle coming from that far east.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    here's a pinpoint map of people who have let there locations be known on this thread, I will be updating it periodically, so just keep posting your locations, people... unless you already have, that would just be pointless.

supertrip-pinpoint.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    This is starting to really come together. Wows. How much for a seat if I haveno car but want to come along from NYC?

I don't know about that yet, as of yet we have no confirmed vechicle coming from that far east.

So this is more of a middle america super trip then, oh ok. That's cool. It is probaby prohibitively exensive to drive from NYC to seatle. I think we could all scheduale to go on the same plane or the same bus if people prefer to travel for 3 days. But if I am working I would rather go by plane seeing as how 3 days tacked onto the begining and end would cost too much to take off. I would like to set up a meet and greet in NYC and coodinate taking the same plane trip. Or maybe not since NYCers are known for being crabby and unfriendly. Maybe I will just go and come back by myself in case I don't like some one or some one finds me annoying or whatever.

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

So this is more of a middle america super trip then, oh ok. That's cool. It is probaby prohibitively exensive to drive from NYC to seatle. I think we could all scheduale to go on the same plane or the same bus if people prefer to travel for 3 days. But if I am working I would rather go by plane seeing as how 3 days tacked onto the begining and end would cost too much to take off. I would like to set up a meet and greet in NYC and coodinate taking the same plane trip. Or maybe not since NYCers are known for being crabby and unfriendly. Maybe I will just go and come back by myself in case I don't like some one or some one finds me annoying or whatever.

It's not really a middle-america supertrip, but nobody with a car from NY has expressed an interest in driving, also this trip is not meant to take 3 days. From NYC, estimated travel time is about 39 hours, with breaks, put that at about 43-46 hours. This is not a "stop at a hotel" trip. This is a "straight out drive until your eyes bleed, then switch drivers" trip. Each car will require at least 2 drivers unless they begin the trip less than 12 hours east of PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2006
    If you plan on doing that I suggest that you arrive early. here are some thoughts. A lot of people show up days before PAX starts and hang out in Seatle , in and around Bellevue etc. Also once PAX starts no sleep will be had. You are going to want to stay up late for the concerts and then stay up later to hang out at the room parties. Then you are going to want to wake up early so you don't miss anything the next day.

So come early to hang out and even earlier to catch up on REAL sleep(car sleep doesn't count) and get cleaned up before you start mixing in with every one else. Just a thought.

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    edited July 2022

ceres on
  • Options
    triadfatetriadfate Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I'm thinking of throwing together a "convoy manager" in hopes to better orginze trips. Something that show's what convoy's are going through where and who they meet up with kind of thing. If Moe keeps up with the Map I'd like to work that in as well. I'll post in a link once I have something.

triadfate on
  • Options
    edited January 2006
    I'd like to keep up with it, more people just need to advertise their locations. The sooner the better...

[edit:] i would also like to be able to eliminate unnecessary paths off the map. once know where everybody is coming from, it will be much easier to merge it into one major route.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Grandaddy DeliciousGrandaddy Delicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I live in Cleveland, Tennessee during the school year and in Greenville, South Carolina during the summer. Basically, I can make it to either of the Tennessee or South Carolina waypoints. It would cost me 460 to get a planeticket, I'm looking for a cheaper way. Go go gadget sponsorship?

Grandaddy Delicious on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    El WhitoEl Whito Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Find out about that van, also, what city in MI do you live in, I'm pinpointing where people are on the map, and I need to know where you are so I can figure the best waypoint for you.

I'll get on that. As for where I live, it's Clare, a really small town right near CMU. I'd probably just drive down to the nearest waypoint myself, which seems to be Indianapolis, or Chicago.

El Whito on
    Mass Genocide is the most demanding activity one can take part in. Next to soccer. - Loki, Dogma
This discussion has been closed.