As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy Shit All Points Bulletin CLOSED BETA THIS WEEK!

PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion.Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Article

From the creator of Grand Theft Auto and Crackdown comes All Points Bulletion a crime/law enforcement MMO!

Miyamoto created in APB!
apb-20080221092400014-000.jpg

A new character and then a more experienced character
apb-20080221092331297-000.jpg

So it's supposed to have no leveling and 2 opposing sides, Gangs and The Law. The character creation sounds fucking awesome and holy shit I'm excited for this MMO.

http://kotaku.com/5014939/apb-full-public-beta-coming-new-art-here
We haven't heard a word from Real Time Worlds since they blew our collective minds during a talk at this year's Game Developers Conference. Recently hired Community Relations Manager Chris Dye just dropped us a line to let us know that's about to change.

Dye is tasked with the walk in the park job of building interest in the upcoming Grand Theft Auto-esque massively multiplayer online game.

“APB is at an extremely exciting and important stage, and we can now begin the process of introducing to the gaming community the various aspects of what will make up this genre defining MMO”, commented Chris.

Mario Rizzo, Business Development Manager added “This appointment signals the start of a new phase for APB where we can interact more fluidly with both gaming sites, and our potential future player base. This is an important milestone for the game now that we are transitioning into Alpha and moving towards the full public beta of APB.”

I know that a beta for an MMO is almost a necessity, but that doesn't make me any less excited.

jkZziGc.png
Pharezon on

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Miyamoto isn't grinning enough.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    From the thread title I thought this was some Powerpoint presentation. Might want to add something like "GTA-ish MMO" up there. Good news though, I'm eager to see how this turns out.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    just read the article. game looks 100% pretty cool.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This actually sounds really fucking awesome.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I skimmed the article, looks pretty fucking cool. Is it a full blown MMO or instances?

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I skimmed the article, looks pretty fucking cool. Is it a full blown MMO or instances?

Looks to be instanced, but with like 100 people per server-section thingy. You kind of have to instance this sort of thing if real-time combat and physics are involved.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    LA:LA: United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are we looking at a subscription fee or what?

LA: on
    I lurk. That's it.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eh I guess its good to expand what all MMO's do but I am not into the whole gang or police thing. Now old mobster style than I would be all over this.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This could be completely awesome or it could be completely horrible, as with so many things that depend on human interaction.

It also could suffer quite badly from uneven population distribution. If there are far more gang members committing crimes than there are law officers, or vice versa, then some people aren't going to have opponents. He also mentioned that lower level gang members would have to get 'permission' to perform crimes, but that people wouldn't get missions from NPCs. If you take that to its logical conclusion that low level gang members would have to rely on high level players in order to take missions the game could end up incredibly 'clique-y' and new players would have a hell of a time getting into the game.

Last Son on
  • Options
    JackanapesJackanapes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This does look very interesting, though it seems it wont be a true MMORPG, as opposed to a 'Battlegrounds' style game. Which is fun, but Im not willing to pay $15 per month for.

Still, anything that attempts to move the MMORPG genre beyond the stale sword-and-sorcery setting is fine by me. Plus, that character creation engine looks fantastic - which bodes well for future MMORPGs.

Jackanapes on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Interesting concept, though in the end a gimmick is a gimmick(fancy customization, MP3 matching, etc). It all comes down to the gameplay. I'm always skeptical about games like these with hype that's 80% cool ideas, 20% fun game.

Zek on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I swear to god this game was announced years ago. Like, at least 2004/2005.

edit: Wow, the concept character artwork for this game is fucking incredible.

Give it a look: http://www.apb.com/ Absolutely pants-shittingly unbelievable.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If it actually keeps that super heavy stylized look then sign me up. As long as the game is fun I guess...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That is some awesome concept art, though the cops don't look very cop-like. It looks more like 2 warring gangs than criminals/law enforcement.

Last Son on
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That concept art is wicked.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    WOW! This looks fantastic in terms of art direction, I really hope they can deliver the goods, it would be a great step in the right direction. I wonder if it would be FPS or Third person?

Snare on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    While the game might be good, I'm worried that the community is going to suck more horse shit than any other online gaming community. You'll log on and see nigga left and right from 13 year old white kids trying to be black like all their rapper idols.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Really looks awesome. I am very very eager to play as law enforcement.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow this looks cool. I'm really wondering how the charging is going to be. Dedicated servers arn't free, and we already have to pay for Live to play.

One thing that worried me though was the fact that they said in that article that 4 low "level" criminals tried to steal a tv and one higher level enforcer came by and blew them all up with a rocket launcher.

That sounds kinda.... weak.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Wow this looks cool. I'm really wondering how the charging is going to be. Dedicated servers arn't free, and we already have to pay for Live to play.

One thing that worried me though was the fact that they said in that article that 4 low "level" criminals tried to steal a tv and one higher level enforcer came by and blew them all up with a rocket launcher.

That sounds kinda.... weak.

More like awesome.

Dishing out rocket launcher justice against petty criminals and being an all around judge, jury, and executioner? Sign me up!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Character Creation Video

Gameworld

Shaft Gameplay

Jaws and pants will drop, be warned.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    <Dredd>I AM THE LAW!!</Dredd>

This looks really awesome. I can't wait to lay down the law on some dirty purps.

Also, if they have a monthly fee, you won't need Gold to play online. That's the way MS has said it works, and as an example Phantasy Star follows that.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Character Creation Video

Gameworld

Shaft Gameplay

Beat me to it. Amazing stuff. :D

Game world is a bit sparse atm but I assume that's because the game isn't finished, and will get fixed.

edit: one more : Drive-by: http://gamevideos.com/video/id/17692

edit2: Oh my god, that character creator is OBSCENE. The part where he chooses hair length? Holy shit.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Character Creation Video

Gameworld

Shaft Gameplay

Oh man.... oh man....

Annnddd I'm spent.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Character Creation Video

Gameworld

Shaft Gameplay

Holy jesus this looks good. It looks a bit empty compared to what I've seen of GTA4 though. The detail on everything is higher, but there's less of it. A lot of what I've seen of GTA4 looks just packed with people and cars and unique bits on everything.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    While the game might be good, I'm worried that the community is going to suck more horse shit than any other online gaming community. You'll log on and see nigga left and right from 13 year old white kids trying to be black like all their rapper idols.

That's the beauty of it!

Many of those people will naturally gravitate towards the criminal side of the game making it easy to avoid contact with them that doesn't involve loud noises and little pieces of metal shredding through their flesh.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    For once, I 100% agree with Pancake. It's going to be so much fun mowing down the punk wigger kids.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was thinking about playing one of the criminals, but with what you guys said in mind...

That does sound like a lot of fun...

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looking at the concept art, I kinda wish they'd go with a more stylized, semi-cell-shaded look to emulate the art. I'm not sure what exactly that style of art is called, but I've seen a few artists do it before, most notably Hyung-tae Kim.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It looks great, but the future system requirements scare the crap outta me.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gorgeousness. Just... Wow. Is it just me or did that character he created look better than a lot of games purpose built characters?

Plus it's still on the crackdown engine isn't it?

Can't wait.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm so glad this is being built with consoles in mind.

Renzo on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game looks really fantastic and seems to have everything a game needs to be an instant hit:

Cops with rocket launchers.

Criminals with Afros.

Amazing Character creation.

and of course Black people carrying TV's out of a store.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope there are some suits in the came besides the normal gang stuff. Because if there is, I'm going to start a Italian mob against the hundreds upon hundreds of "gangsta" people. Mobs are way more badass. :P

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    All I know is...

My Mohawk is go.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gorgeousness. Just... Wow. Is it just me or did that character he created look better than a lot of games purpose built characters?

Plus it's still on the crackdown engine isn't it?

Can't wait.

It's Unreal 3 Engine.

Rook on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Huh. Some of it reminded me of crackdown in terms of shading and stuff. Plus those are still better looking characters than in most other UE3 games.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It seems odd they'd go to the UT3 engine, considering all the work they put into the Crackdown engine and how awesome it was at this kind of thing. And really, it looks a lot like the Crackdown engine with the light cel-shading removed.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Didn't the crackdown engine get bought out or something? (I may have heard wrong)

Coreo on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Coreo wrote: »
    Didn't the crackdown engine get bought out or something? (I may have heard wrong)

It was renderware based according to wiki, so yeah basically.

Rook on