Options

To iPod or not to iPod

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Bigger one is doubtful, a price drop... maybe. Hard to say.
    Why is a bigger one doubtful if I may ask? And just theorizing and such, what kind of price drop might we look at, what's fair to guess? 50 bucks, 100 bucks tops?
    So any comments on that?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Look for current prices of 64GB flash drives. That should answer your question.

Mayday on
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why is a bigger one doubtful if I may ask? And just theorizing and such, what kind of price drop might we look at, what's fair to guess? 50 bucks, 100 bucks tops?
    So any comments on that?

I think the previous capacity jumps were foreshadowed by Samsung making a larger capacity chip. I think the iPhone uses a single 16GB and the iTouch uses 2 x 16GB. As far as I'm aware, Samsung is not currently manufacturing huge quantities of 32GB chips, which would be required for all the iPhones being made.

Although with the 3G iPhone essentially confirmed to be coming out in the next month or two, I wouldn't put it past Apple to figure something out.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    So any comments on that?
    Missed it before. Already been answered, though:

I think the previous capacity jumps were foreshadowed by Samsung making a larger capacity chip. I think the iPhone uses a single 16GB and the iTouch uses 2 x 16GB. As far as I'm aware, Samsung is not currently manufacturing huge quantities of 32GB chips, which would be required for all the iPhones being made.

Satan. on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So any comments on that?
    Missed it before. Already been answered, though:

So Samsung is not releaing a larger capacity chip any time soon? Then I guess I can just look forward to a price drop instead. So why is the iTouch flash instead of HDD like the other non nano iPods?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You'd have to ask apple that, but probably because it and the iPhone are essentially the same hardware platform, and Apple really did not want to make the iPhone a HDD based device (moving parts, magnetic fields, less reliability, etc, etc).

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You'd have to ask apple that, but probably because it and the iPhone are essentially the same hardware platform, and Apple really did not want to make the iPhone a HDD based device (moving parts, magnetic fields, less reliability, etc, etc).
    Makes sense.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Makes sense.

Plus an iTouch with a large hard drive would remove the market for the iPod Classic.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Makes sense.

Plus an iTouch with a large hard drive would remove the market for the iPod Classic.
    Well DUH! Though the classic could ALWAYS just be a cheep alternative with the iTouch being re-purposed as their headliner product.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Makes sense.

Well DUH! Though the classic could ALWAYS just be a cheep alternative with the iTouch being re-purposed as their headliner product.

No need to be pissy about it. No doubt, a large capacity iPod touch would certainly encroach on some iPod classic sales. The actual amount is known only to Apple's marketing folks, so it's pointless to conjecture about it.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Makes sense.

No need to be pissy about it. No doubt, a large capacity iPod touch would certainly encroach on some iPod classic sales. The actual amount is known only to Apple's marketing folks, so it's pointless to conjecture about it.

Relax I was only being frisky not pissy, anyway if Apple sales both products would it really be such a huge deal to lose sales on one product for another?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Makes sense.

Relax I was only being frisky not pissy, anyway if Apple sales both products would it really be such a huge deal to lose sales on one product for another?

When the iPod touch came out, there was much discussion about if it would cannibalize iPhone sales or not. The existence of a product line and promotion of it is a huge deal to a stockholder. If I can get a 160GB (or whatever) iPod classic OR a 160GB iPod touch, and Apple is blowing money marketing both, I'd be a little upset as a stockholder.

To the consumer it may not be a big deal. Look at it from a stockholder's standpoint and almost every situation changes.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Makes sense.

When the iPod touch came out, there was much discussion about if it would cannibalize iPhone sales or not. The existence of a product line and promotion of it is a huge deal to a stockholder. If I can get a 160GB (or whatever) iPod classic OR a 160GB iPod touch, and Apple is blowing money marketing both, I'd be a little upset as a stockholder.

To the consumer it may not be a big deal. Look at it from a stockholder's standpoint and almost every situation changes.
    Yeah but if Apple markets the more expensive item as the main item and the cheaper one as the more economical alternative doesn't that potentially make more money and make everybody happy? I mean stockholders have stock in Apple not iPod Classic or iPod Touch right?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah but if Apple markets the more expensive item as the main item and the cheaper one as the more economical alternative doesn't that potentially make more money and make everybody happy? I mean stockholders have stock in Apple not iPod Classic or iPod Touch right?

They have stock in Apple and not the products, yes. However Apple doesn't tend to market one thing as economical and the other as expensive (name the last Mac Mini ad you saw. I'll wait). They have products that fit a certain niche extremely well (if someone needs the processor power and graphics of a MacBook Pro, they probably aren't going to even glance at the MacBook).

Satan. on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there such a thing as a windows ipod touch manager?

I've been googling and so far i've had no luck, I just installed itunes on my windows machine and was reminded of just how goddamn awful the windows version is.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not unless you jailbreak it. :(

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Not unless you jailbreak it. :(

I have jailbreaked it, I used ijailbreak on my macbook.

So far, all i've done is used Summerboard to add a background image and installed a text editor.
    How would I be able to sync up music/video on my touch with a third party ipod manager?

The only way I can think of is using openssh and transferring stuff via sftp. Which is a bit of a roundabout way.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aren't there plugins for foobar and winamp?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »

Winamp no, I hadn't considered foobar. I'll give it a go now.

If memory serves because the iphone/ipod touch is running a heavilly modified OSX the filing system is hfs (or some variant of it), so they'd probably have to add the ability to read hfs drives. (to the ipod managers)

EDIT:

According to here ipod support for the iphone/touch requires itunes to be installed. Which defeats the point.

Suppose I could give it a go, disable all those damn services that Apple likes installing and background programs.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Macworld is next month right? I think I'll just wait till then to see what they announce.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »

If memory serves because the iphone/ipod touch is running a heavilly modified OSX the filing system is hfs (or some variant of it), so they'd probably have to add the ability to read hfs drives. (to the ipod managers)

EDIT:

According to here ipod support for the iphone/touch requires itunes to be installed. Which defeats the point.

Suppose I could give it a go, disable all those damn services that Apple likes installing and background programs.

That foo-bar implementation doesn't look too bad actually. It says you need to have iTunes installed because there is a service that facilitates communication between the device and your pc software, so don't disable that service.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Macworld is next month right? I think I'll just wait till then to see what they announce.

WWDC is about 62 days away (saw a blog post yesterday that said 63).

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

WWDC is about 62 days away (saw a blog post yesterday that said 63).
    Huh.. I thought it was in May.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

EDIT:

Unfortunately the ipod touch uses another standard for file syncing. Apparently you have to install iTunes in order to use the Apple mobile device driver in Windows.

Even in Linux (Ubuntu) I had to use a detour in order to playback music from my iPod touch.
    I installed ssh on the iPod and the iPod convenience packet in Linux. Through SSH and Fuse the iPod is mounted (wireless) in the filesystem. Amarok can then access the device - the iPod control folder appears to be similar to the other other iPod models.

A few questions regarding the other models (classic and nano): Do these iPods appear as regular removeable devices after connecting them?

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I'm getting pretty irritated.
    First jailbreak I tried was Ziphone- pretty good- but gives no hope of browsing the file structure from windows. The only way to upload stuff via cable was: zip an .app in cygwin and run it as a "plugin" in ziphone. I tried the ibrickr fix to allow me to just copy stuff (with iphonebrowser) but it didn't work, anybody got some experience with it?

Then I restored and tried iLiberty+- well, this is nice, I get to browse the ipod with no problems BUT none of the apps I upload work- they freeze upon startup and I'm back at the home screen after a moment.

Can anybody help me in any way?

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    First jailbreak I tried was Ziphone- pretty good- but gives no hope of browsing the file structure from windows. The only way to upload stuff via cable was: zip an .app in cygwin and run it as a "plugin" in ziphone. I tried the ibrickr fix to allow me to just copy stuff (with iphonebrowser) but it didn't work, anybody got some experience with it?

Then I restored and tried iLiberty+- well, this is nice, I get to browse the ipod with no problems BUT none of the apps I upload work- they freeze upon startup and I'm back at the home screen after a moment.

What I did was run ijailbreak and then install anything I liked via one of the repositories. Does Ziphone add Installer etc?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited April 2008

iJailbreak was a one-click, everything-is-done solution for me.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I use WinSCP to browse my phone's file structure from windows. Do you have wifi?

Edit: Also, your crashing apps probably rely on BSD Subsystem. Install that.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    After MacWorld depending on what they announce I think I'll be spending my economic stimulus check on a iTouch.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    so, would now be a bad time to get a nano? I'd be buying a refurb one (i know apple refurbs rock) and getting a free 15 buck itunes card. What I'm more worried about is apple upgrading the capacity in the next short while. 8 gb is nice but something like 16 would be awesome. Its part of the reason i want a touch, just to have 16 gigs in flash.

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    so, would now be a bad time to get a nano? I'd be buying a refurb one (i know apple refurbs rock) and getting a free 15 buck itunes card. What I'm more worried about is apple upgrading the capacity in the next short while. 8 gb is nice but something like 16 would be awesome. Its part of the reason i want a touch, just to have 16 gigs in flash.

Apple has been able to shove 16GB in for a while. In my non-professional opinion, I'd say don't bother waiting. Grab a refurb.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I was hearing about the new cellphones coming out next year with projectors built in (KICK ASS!), think there is a chance if I wait a year or two and get a cheep MP3 player in the mean time we'll see that built into the touch?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So has anyone's flash memory on the current gen Nano crapped out on them? I know that Flash memory only has a limited life span to it and I'm worried that my iPod is starting to show the early signs on this. Just wondering what the symptoms are.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I was hearing about the new cellphones coming out next year with projectors built in (KICK ASS!), think there is a chance if I wait a year or two and get a cheep MP3 player in the mean time we'll see that built into the touch?

Don't hold your breath for this one in an Apple phone any time soon. Certainly don't use it to inform your purchase decisions within the next couple years.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    So has anyone's flash memory on the current gen Nano crapped out on them? I know that Flash memory only has a limited life span to it and I'm worried that my iPod is starting to show the early signs on this. Just wondering what the symptoms are.

I got my girlfriend a launch 'chubby' Nano and it's running fine. Of course I'm the only one that ever exchanges music on it, and it's probably been connected to that computer all of ten times.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I got my girlfriend a launch 'chubby' Nano and it's running fine. Of course I'm the only one that ever exchanges music on it, and it's probably been connected to that computer all of ten times.

Ah see I use mine as a podcast player. And I move easily about 5gigs around on it every week. I wish they made a small nano w/o flash memory.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Ah see I use mine as a podcast player. And I move easily about 5gigs around on it every week. I wish they made a small nano w/o flash memory.

Well for reference I also have a launch 16TB iPod touch that gets tons of data thrown around on it weekly and I'm not having this problem.

Satan. on
  • Options
    sephirion0sephirion0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I recently bought an iPod touch 8GB version and I love it. While I have a pretty sizable music library, I don't think it's necessary to have it all on my pod. I move songs over as needed and I'm a big podcast nerd so it works really well. I also have a few shows I watch only through my touchpod and it's awesome for that, what with the screen being blindingly bright and huge.

Also, I have to say that I absolutely love the thing. I'm sure I'm weird, but I use for freaking everything. I use the notes, I use the little calendar organizer extensively and obviously Safari.

If you have some money you're really looking forward to dedicate to a kick ass music player that happens to have tons of other organizer style uses, I would suggest an iPod touch or iPhone.

sephirion0 on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Query: The summer is coming up and I'm ditching my car for my bike. With my tax rebate being decent enough, I've decided to finally get a music player beyond a CD player. I was considering an Ipod, but if I get that do I have to convert all my music files to Itunes or what not? I have 30 gigs of music on my computer and not enough space to convert all of it to Itunes.

Basically I'm looking for something that can hold about 50 or more gigs, is fairly durable (stuff tends to fall a lot when I'm around) decent battery life, and reasonably priced. I don't really care about bells and whistles, I just want it to be reliable.

Any suggestions?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Query: The summer is coming up and I'm ditching my car for my bike. With my tax rebate being decent enough, I've decided to finally get a music player beyond a CD player. I was considering an Ipod, but if I get that do I have to convert all my music files to Itunes or what not? I have 30 gigs of music on my computer and not enough space to convert all of it to Itunes.

Basically I'm looking for something that can hold about 50 or more gigs, is fairly durable (stuff tends to fall a lot when I'm around) decent battery life, and reasonably priced. I don't really care about bells and whistles, I just want it to be reliable.

Any suggestions?

If they're already mp3s, there's no conversion necessary. Just add them to an iTunes library (which won't copy or duplicate them if you tell it not to) and add them to your iPod.

For most people using their iPod for fitness purposes, I'd suggest going with a Nano, but that won't have enough space to hold your entire collection. If you want something that will hold your whole collection, your only option is the Classic, which has a HDD.

Edit: as far as reliable goes, my 40GB 4th Gen iPod is still ticking, although its battery doesn't last like it used to. I've knocked it around quite a bit. Now for working out thought I use a Nano (mine's really beaten up, no worries since it's all flash memory) and an iPod Touch (for when I'm on the bike or treadmill and want to watch some TV.

I'm sure another poster can discuss your non-iPod options.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..