As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To iPod or not to iPod

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I've got a windows machine. Also, its not deleting the dupes anymore thats the problem, but deleting the trackname. The dupes are gone, and iTunes still thinks theres a track there, but since theres not, nothing plays. If I could just organize it so all the ! tracks are in one place that would be great, but as it is now, I'd have to select every other track for over 10,000 songs. Way too time consuming.
    Ouch, that’s a big number.

Digging around, it seems there’s a JavaScript thing for Windows: http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23973 (post 10 in particular)

No guarantees, but it’s worth a try.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anyone else have an iTouch that crashes to a white screen if you leave it on without music playing instead of turning it off? Mine's done that about 5 times this week and it drains the shit out of the battery, so if there's a fix I'd like to know about it.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    I'm thinking of the 32gb touch. Or should I wait for the eventual 32gb iPhone? Full internet everywhere seems like a big plus for me and is why I'd consider getting an iPhone and then I could just replace my phone and have everything in one device.
    Hard to say at this point. There’s some expectation that a 3G iPhone will be released this year; if that’s true it might well have a larger capacity.

I guess it primarily depends on whether you’re looking for something soon, or are willing to wait a few months to see what happens.
    I'm willing to grudgingly wait a few months while chomping at the bit for a new MP3 player. I need an MP3 player not a phone and was thinking about getting the touch, though I'm willing to pay more to get full internet anywhere which only comes on the iPhone. So I'm ok with throwing out my current phone and replacing it with an all in one device sort of as a cool bonus. Mainly I want an iPod touch, secondarily the net anywhere is a big deal for me, and the phone on top of that is just a bonus.

Something to consider as well: not everyone has 3G access. Dig around on the intertubes a bit to find out when your area is getting it. www.howardforums.com, while a wretched hive of scum and villany, is a good place for this sort of information. My town won't be getting 3G this year (early 2009) at best so I'm not exactly holding out for a 3G iPhone. I'm hoping 3G does get announced, bringing the price of the EDGE-only iPhones down.
    You know, to be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly up on phone tech by any means. I know that 3G is the faster net crap, but other than that I don't know dick about it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm thinking of the 32gb touch. Or should I wait for the eventual 32gb iPhone? Full internet everywhere seems like a big plus for me and is why I'd consider getting an iPhone and then I could just replace my phone and have everything in one device.
    Hard to say at this point. There’s some expectation that a 3G iPhone will be released this year; if that’s true it might well have a larger capacity.

I guess it primarily depends on whether you’re looking for something soon, or are willing to wait a few months to see what happens.
    I'm willing to grudgingly wait a few months while chomping at the bit for a new MP3 player. I need an MP3 player not a phone and was thinking about getting the touch, though I'm willing to pay more to get full internet anywhere which only comes on the iPhone. So I'm ok with throwing out my current phone and replacing it with an all in one device sort of as a cool bonus. Mainly I want an iPod touch, secondarily the net anywhere is a big deal for me, and the phone on top of that is just a bonus.

Something to consider as well: not everyone has 3G access. Dig around on the intertubes a bit to find out when your area is getting it. www.howardforums.com, while a wretched hive of scum and villany, is a good place for this sort of information. My town won't be getting 3G this year (early 2009) at best so I'm not exactly holding out for a 3G iPhone. I'm hoping 3G does get announced, bringing the price of the EDGE-only iPhones down.
    You know, to be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly up on phone tech by any means. I know that 3G is the faster net crap, but other than that I don't know dick about it.

EDGE, if I remember right, is basically 2G, and in some cases 2.5G, in relation to 3G at least. 3G is much faster, but right now only large urban areas, and the areas around those, seem to have it. Nearly everywhere has EDGE.

3G also sucks down battery life much faster than EDGE.

My personal guess for a 2nd gen iphone would be one that is the same size as the current ones, with GPS, 3G and better battery life overall to comp for the 3G drain. If they dont put 3G in then maybe they could make it smaller without compromising performance

ronzo on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Does anyone else have an iTouch that crashes to a white screen if you leave it on without music playing instead of turning it off? Mine's done that about 5 times this week and it drains the shit out of the battery, so if there's a fix I'd like to know about it.
    Doesn't happen to me. Might want to take it into an Apple Store.

Satan. on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So to not make another thread again. I've deleted all the files of all the songs that were duplicates... now I have a heck of a lot of exclamation marks littering my iTunes library.

Is there a way to sort the library so all the songs with that mark show up together?

Or can I just delete them in one go?

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Just passing through, so I don’t know what platform you’re on, but if you’re a Mac user this oughta do it.

The solution I’ve used in the past is to toggle the cover art in the sidebar, set it to ‘selected’, and just hold the down arrow. Once you’re sure you’ve got all the dead tracks start selecting twenty or so at a time and gradually weed them out. It’s pretty clumsy, but oh well.

Edit: You mention that you did this to eliminate duplicates, so View > Show Duplicates will probably reduce the number of tracks you need to check.

I've got a windows machine. Also, its not deleting the dupes anymore thats the problem, but deleting the trackname. The dupes are gone, and iTunes still thinks theres a track there, but since theres not, nothing plays. If I could just organize it so all the ! tracks are in one place that would be great, but as it is now, I'd have to select every other track for over 10,000 songs. Way too time consuming.

What about clearing your whole library and re-detecting everything?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    So to not make another thread again. I've deleted all the files of all the songs that were duplicates... now I have a heck of a lot of exclamation marks littering my iTunes library.

Is there a way to sort the library so all the songs with that mark show up together?

Or can I just delete them in one go?

Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Just passing through, so I don’t know what platform you’re on, but if you’re a Mac user this oughta do it.

The solution I’ve used in the past is to toggle the cover art in the sidebar, set it to ‘selected’, and just hold the down arrow. Once you’re sure you’ve got all the dead tracks start selecting twenty or so at a time and gradually weed them out. It’s pretty clumsy, but oh well.

Edit: You mention that you did this to eliminate duplicates, so View > Show Duplicates will probably reduce the number of tracks you need to check.

Yes.... I suppose that might work... I'll see.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ronzo wrote: »

EDGE, if I remember right, is basically 2G, and in some cases 2.5G, in relation to 3G at least. 3G is much faster, but right now only large urban areas, and the areas around those, seem to have it. Nearly everywhere has EDGE.

3G also sucks down battery life much faster than EDGE.

My personal guess for a 2nd gen iphone would be one that is the same size as the current ones, with GPS, 3G and better battery life overall to comp for the 3G drain. If they dont put 3G in then maybe they could make it smaller without compromising performance
    What about world travel? Like 8 hour drives through the desert/mountains, or flying overseas?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Btw, woot.com has Nanos today.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Btw, woot.com has Nanos today.
    Refurbished.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I didn’t want to suggest it, because it involves losing ratings, play counts, and playlists.

That may not be an issue though.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ok guys, quick question. iPod touch + ziphone 3.0. Anyone using it? Is it good? Worth the hassle?

Mayday on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I#m using it on my iPhone. I'm not sure it's worth it. Having ZooKeeper is pretty ncie though.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bought a 16GB touch about a week ago whilst on holiday/being best man at brothers wedding in Oz. Also, because I got the GST back i've bought the software upgrade.

Now, i've also updated to 1.1.4. I have downloaded a few programs for jailbreaking, I haven't actually carried out the jailbreaking yet. I'm wondering whether it's worth it.

Is there a website that lists all the programs I can put on my touch once jailbroken?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Bought a 16GB touch about a week ago whilst on holiday/being best man at brothers wedding in Oz. Also, because I got the GST back i've bought the software upgrade.

Now, i've also updated to 1.1.4. I have downloaded a few programs for jailbreaking, I haven't actually carried out the jailbreaking yet. I'm wondering whether it's worth it.

Is there a website that lists all the programs I can put on my touch once jailbroken?

The nice thing about jailbreaking is you can just reset it and poof, the jailbreak stuff is gone. Download iJailbreak, makes it easy as hell.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The nice thing about jailbreaking is you can just reset it and poof, the jailbreak stuff is gone. Download iJailbreak, makes it easy as hell.
    A. bought.. software update?
    B. what compelling things could you do after jailbreaking it? I mean I'm thinking of getting one and I'll be happy with music, movies, and wifi internet.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

B. what compelling things could you do after jailbreaking it? I mean I'm thinking of getting one and I'll be happy with music, movies, and wifi internet.
    My primary reason for jailbreaking was to get those $20 rape charge applications. I do have a few games installed. One I can't talk about due to forum rules but it's by far my favorite.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

My primary reason for jailbreaking was to get those $20 rape charge applications. I do have a few games installed. One I can't talk about due to forum rules but it's by far my favorite.
    Huh?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Work stuff, chances are at most times I have my ipod with me but not my laptop. I think I remember hearing that an rdesktop client is available for the jailbroken touch (useful for accessing work servers), there will likely be a vnc client (so useful for the workstations) and there will probably be an ssh client. (which will be useful for the linux server)

Also, can anyone recommend a good remote for the touch? In a Sydney store I found some official Apple remote things, but were going for the ridiculous price of $60 Aus.

I've been looking online and found a couple, like this one for example.

The thing that i'm looking for is something that gives me 4 things, skip track, previous track, pause/play and optionally volume control. When i'm walking home from work with my old ipod I just reach into my pocket and tactilely can easily click one of those buttons. Kinda of buggered with the touch in that respect without a remote.

As to volume control I have just been thinking of buying earbuds that have an inbuilt volume control.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Huh?
    Must have had a blackout in my head. Avoid those charges.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Huh?
    Must have had a blackout in my head. Avoid those charges.
    What charges?

Also is jailbreaking something that's just plain recomended? Like does jailbreaking add functionality while not taking any away or is it a tradeoff like with the PSP?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Apple charged Touch users 20 bucks to get some apps that iPhone users already have for free. Also, for jailbreaking I recommend ZiPhone.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Apple charged Touch users 20 bucks to get some apps that iPhone users already have for free. Also, for jailbreaking I recommend ZiPhone.
    Um, first what apps and second why the fuck?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mail, Stocks, Weather, Maps (so fucking useless on a Touch) and maybe Notes? Don't remember. I just wanted Mail.

They claimed the accounting horseshit for iPod touches that had already been sold. Yet the ones fresh from the factory from that announcement had the applications on it. Wild, isn't it? iJailbreak will add these applications for free if you'd like.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mail, Stocks, Weather, Maps (so fucking useless on a Touch) and maybe Notes? Don't remember. I just wanted Mail.

They claimed the accounting horseshit for iPod touches that had already been sold. Yet the ones fresh from the factory from that announcement had the applications on it. Wild, isn't it? iJailbreak will add these applications for free if you'd like.

So you still have to pay for it or are the newer ones shipped with them free?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Those particular applications are owned by Apple, talking about stealing them isn't allowed on this forum. The reasons given for charging for the apps was something about subsidies from AT&T and contracts and yadda yadda. No clue if they are currently included on new Touches.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

So you still have to pay for it or are the newer ones shipped with them free?

Yes, models produced before the applications were made available have to purchase the upgrade. New models come with them.

And the technical term for the charge is SOX-rape. If Apple doesn't want to get raped by the federal government, they had to charge for it. Like, it wasn't even a choice. They could've made it cheaper, of course, but they still would've had to charge something for it.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Those particular applications are owned by Apple, talking about stealing them isn't allowed on this forum. The reasons given for charging for the apps was something about subsidies from AT&T and contracts and yadda yadda. No clue if they are currently included on new Touches.
    1) That act being illegal is highly disputable. This isn't "go to X torrent site and download Y torrent file and you'll get Z film / music / game / whatever free". The same nonsense was done with the 802.11n activation and people didn't buy into this accounting bullshit then either.
    2) Bolded parts do not compute in a sane world.
    3) By this logic, we shouldn't even MENTION jailbreaking.

Seriously. There's a lot out there about this. I don't think this was over 'the line'.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ronen wrote: »
    Yes, models produced before the applications were made available have to purchase the upgrade. New models come with them.

And the technical term for the charge is SOX-rape. If Apple doesn't want to get raped by the federal government, they had to charge for it. Like, it wasn't even a choice. They could've made it cheaper, of course, but they still would've had to charge something for it.

The correct term is bullshit.

Tout Sarbanes-Oxley all you want for this one. Apple decided "hey, fuck the customer not us" on this and the 802.11n software. It's complete bullshit.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Jailbreaking is a DMCA violation in that you are circumventing a protection scheme. We like that here, it's just like DS homebrew. Getting apps for free that Apple charges for is piracy, a copyright violation.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Jailbreaking is an illegal DMCA violation in that you are circumventing a protection scheme.

Fixed your rose-colored glasses for you. Making this big of a deal out of it is getting more attention than the actual statement did. I suggest we move on.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm lustily looking at the 32gb touch for 475 total no tax or shipping, but A. That's a whole lotta moneh! B. Will a bigger one come out in a few months? C. Any chance of a price drop in a few months?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Bigger one is doubtful, a price drop... maybe. Hard to say.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Bigger one is doubtful, a price drop... maybe. Hard to say.
    Why is a bigger one doubtful if I may ask? And just theorizing and such, what kind of price drop might we look at, what's fair to guess? 50 bucks, 100 bucks tops?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I've jailbroken it with Ziphone 3.0. You guys know any good places for ziphone plugins?

Mayday on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I think the battery in my 5.5g got zapped or something by my fm transmitter. Battery life is wildly erratic, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it runs out in like 30 minutes. I'm looking to replace the battery myself. Anyone have experience with IpodJuice or any alternatives? Are the batteries good, and is installation as easy as they claim it is?

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ziphone plugins? I've never heard of such a thing. Open Installer and check for packages to install. A good place to visit for more information on iPhone/iPod Touch is modmyifone.com

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I think the battery in my 5.5g got zapped or something by my fm transmitter. Battery life is wildly erratic, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it runs out in like 30 minutes. I'm looking to replace the battery myself. Anyone have experience with IpodJuice or any alternatives? Are the batteries good, and is installation as easy as they claim it is?

Everything I hear, people hate what a pain in the ass it is but they are usually successful.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Words.
    I just took one look at your sig and though, "All bow before seagulthulhu!"

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Owning a video iPod is worth it if you watch ripped or downloaded stuff a lot. I remember when the final episodes of The Sopranos were airing and I lived in the dorms on campus. Our shitcock Residence Hall policy basically gave their ResNet division a monopoly on all internet and cable, and disabled the ability to subscribe to HBO, and banned wireless routers. Anyway, because I had a video iPod and output cable, I was basically able to watch the new episodes on the Lobby 50" HDTV (although not in actual HD, but still) a couple of hours after each episode aired.

Yes there are and have been other ways of doing that, but it's pretty convenient to have it this simple. And you pretty much always have it on you.

Sam on