As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I really don't like about 90% of games released these days; I usually just find myself going back and playing the classics. I don't know... the vast majority of games that are out now just feel lifeless, bereft of a soul that all of the older games I love seem to possess. I would rather play Ultima VI or VII than Oblivion, or any other open-ended RPG released over the last 10 years, for example, or hell, I would rather play Neverwinter Nights (The old AOL version) or Dark Sun Online over any MMO currently out there. It's not just for nostalgic value, either; gaming seems less like a labor of love these days, and more about pushing shit out to the lowest common denominator.

You're getting old.

Before you know it you'll be complaining about that noise these punk kids call music and getting rashes in uncomfortable places.

Unfortunately I think I'm right there with you, although I enjoy Oblivion because I tell the story in my head as I go. Come to think of it, that's why I enjoy life too.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    However, I couldn't get enough of Deus Ex. I had the opposite effect with this game: I played it all the way through, not sleeping for an entire weekend.

The game started wrapping me into it when it started getting into the conspiracy theory madness. And it doesn't get DEEP into that until literally HOURS into the game... so I can totally understand how someone who only played the first two-three levels wouldn't like the game. It's yawnable until shit starts getting crazy in a psychedelic way about halfway through the game. Well, that, and I like games where you can get through levels with stealth and non-killing techniques. My goal in games that allow it is to get through the entire game without ever scoring a (non-mandatory) kill.

Achieved that goal in Deus Ex, but only after a very long and sleepless weekend... (I found it frustrating that some characters exploded even after you used only non-lethal ammo on them, but I don't count those because you have no choice).

That's weird. The first level (Statue of Liberty) was what hooked me on that game. The total fre form nature of it.

I was like you though, I played the secret agent. Stealthy and as few kills as I could manage. I had my silenced sniper rifle for distance, my stealth pistol for close work and my tranq gun for when I was feeling humanitarian. And then I had an assault rifle (the roundish one from what I remember) for the couple of times in the game where you just need shit DEAD.

shryke on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    [*]Starcraft. Love playing it, hate playing it online.\

Good thing the Starcraft map/mod community made so many quality single-player campaigns, then.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love to read what people say here, I value what is said here above any other resource but the OP's are generally so over the to, and the hype you can get from some of them is just crazy. You'd think the world would end if you didn't have the game.

Disgaea PSP: I loved it til it told me to grind.
    Monster Hunter: And the point is...?
    CoD4: Call of Grenade 4. (I don't hate this game, just don't think its as amazing as it's made out to be)
    MGS: Terrible stories and terrible gameplay. IMO The game DOESN'T reward you for being stealthy, it's so much easier to shoot things.
    Rez: Hyped here, but nothing that amazing.

Snare on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    MGS: Terrible stories and terrible gameplay. IMO The game DOESN'T reward you for being stealthy, it's so much easier to shoot things.

I just couldn't get very far in Twin Snakes before setting it aside in frustration, but I've beaten MGS3: Subsistance twice now. I think it's fair to say that they've gotten the gameplay down pretty well in the third installment, at least. And the game is all about killing folks... stealthily!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, so much MGS hate... I think you guys are playing it wrong. It's not supposed to be super stealthy, move without being seen. It's tactical, espionage, action. A good balance of all 3.

Some of the best moments in MGS3 were when you WEREN'T trying to be stealthy. I remember one epic 10 minute battle on the mountain where I was armed with only the machine gun against a seemingly endless supply of flame thrower enemies.

So awesome.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Man, so much MGS hate... I think you guys are playing it wrong. It's not supposed to be super stealthy, move without being seen. It's tactical, espionage, action. A good balance of all 3.

Some of the best moments in MGS3 were when you WEREN'T trying to be stealthy. I remember one epic 10 minute battle on the mountain where I was armed with only the machine gun against a seemingly endless supply of flame thrower enemies.

So awesome.

Whereas I sniped the hell out of everyone in the beginning of the mountain, then carefully made my way up tranqing everyone I saw, and managing to make it all the way up without being spotted.

...Going back down I was never technically spotted but the grenades I threw around sort of let them know I was there.

For being a linear game, MGS3 gives you tools for many different play styles.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    S2K: What games do you actually enjoy? There's a lotta good games on your list and not to enjoy any (and dislike them enough to make this thread) does seem a little bizarre.

Incidentally there wasn't a game that did 3d adventure platforming better than Tomb Raider when it came out, and Tomb Raider 2 felt superb. I remember playing the demo over and over again and flinging Lara Croft off the great wall in to a tiny pool of water below. Not to mention fun little secrets, like flicking the switch in the maze and running back to get in to that door near the stairs

They may not stand up today but I feel Tomb Raider 1 and 2 were both awesome games for their time, graphically superb, smooth, decent enough story and fun level design.

Also, Shadow of the Colossus was easily one of my favourite games of last gen, there were -some- frame rate issues but by and large you didn't notice them when you got in to the game. It wasn't just one giant boss fight, it was a puzzle game too. If you cheated your way through and just looked up how to do each colossus then you missed the point.

Yes, the first few were obvious but later on they got quite interesting.
    Hiding underground, forcing the creature to duck down and look for you. Whilst looking down, you ran out of another exit and jumped on it's back.

Luring a creature to smash a certain piece of background to enable you to clamber up it.

Forcing the creature to shatter a protective bracelet by getting it to hit a solid piece of rock, the impact of which breaks the cuff.

I found it a very fun platform AND puzzle game. The travelling around really helped me unwind after each battle and prepare me for the next. BUT I also accept it's really not for everyone and wouldn't dare claim you're an idiot if you didn't like it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Lork wrote: »
    Out of all the 3d Zelda games, Wind Waker was the one that managed to hold your attention all the way through? Fucking Wind Waker?

You might want to see a doctor about that.

So what issues might you have with Wind Waker?

And word you next precious sentences well, for they may very well be your last.
    If you're looking for a Zelda game that keeps players engaged all the way through, Wind Waker is the absolute worst you can do. It's chock full of shit that makes you want to put off playing it. Stuff like the atrociously long and boring sailing segments, the annoying and un-engaging combat, the uninspired puzzles, and the cookie cutter environments. Of course, the number one thing that can (and very often does) make players procrastinate is the triforce hunt; but you already knew that.

Not to say that it has no redeeming elements, but if you're having trouble getting through Zelda games, Wind Waker is like a brick wall.
    Unengaging combat? WW still has the most fun combat in the entire series IMO. Save for Fours Swords Adventures maybe.

It also to this day remains the most visually appealing game in the entire series. It's one big chunk of eyecandy. Literally.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

So awesome.

Can we hate it for the story?

shryke on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The best rankings in MGS do come from being super stealthy, not that it matters.

Basically, people that suck with the stealth in that game have no sense of pattern recognition and/or don't know how or care to be patient.

It's also true that MGS3 is the easiest of the game to play as straight action. Basically from the time you get the shotgun on there is no problem you can't solve with adequate force.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I despised Metal Gear Solid 2, which put me off the series pretty much forever. I absolutely adored the demo of it that came with ZOE but when I got in to the actual game itself I found it to have very poor level design, an insane amount of cut scenes (Which bored me to tears), a poor story and was just generally all round disappointing.

Fahrenheit had the same problem, the demo built it up to something it wasn't (That said I still LOVED fahrenheit despite the god awful story that came later in the game).

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    osietraosietra __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I found HL2 an enjoyable enough game, but the way people keep on harping about 'the immersive cinematographical narrative genius' of of it I just don't get. For my thought buck, I found Far Cry to be far more enjoyable, and had excellent replay added goodness.
    Also Rez struck me of a spangly version of Space Harrier, and TP was Ocarina without the fizz.
    Still adore WW though, I guess thats possibly due to the absolutely gorgeous visuals and the oirish pipe-jig.
    Maybe its about getting old, but an awful lot of releases nowadays just seem to leave me cold.

osietra on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HL2. Shades upon shades of dull brown and orange. It has a nice physics system (and the puzzles suggest they like ramming that fact down your throat over and over again) but it's just so visually boring, and an otherwise average fps.

Supreme Commander. I want to like this game so much, I love Total Annihilation... but in every hour and a half session I have with friends, it feels like I've been playing for over five hours. You want to build something? Get more energy! Now that you've acquired enough energy, you can build it. Want to build something else? Get more energy! Now that you've acquired enough energy.... ad infinitum.

Deus Ex. I just don't see what's great about it. The multiple endings are nice but a bit much, aren't they? You feel like you've never really finished the game until you keep going back to a certain point and making that choice several times over. Solid game otherwise, but I didn't see anything revolutionary in it.

Halo. The most mind-bogglingly average FPS I have ever played, yet people go crazy for it. Don't understand it. Vehicle sections are nice but it's not the first and only fps with vehicles.

Two Worlds. How can anyone see anything irredeemable in this?! It's a complete mess. I tried to ride my horse through town yesterday, and I could barely control the thing. I got stuck in scenery, and when I tried to get free the horse suddenly galloped, hit into someone, and suddenly I had the entire town chasing after me while I struggled to control the stupid horse.

Bioshock. Not a bad game by any means, but the setting didn't sit right with me... I think it would've been much more interesting and exciting to play if you arrived when Rapture was falling apart, not long after it had done so. The graphics were meh in my opinion.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    B) were too young to appreciate it when it came out, like some 8 year old watching star wars episode 1 and wondering why jarjar wasn't in the rest of the movies.

D:

Someone actually liked Jar Jar?

Except furries.

My first Star Wars movie was Ep1.

I literally had to be tied to my office chair to make me watch the OT, and then, I realized that people who like the OT and not the prequels at least have good taste.
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    I really don't like about 90% of games released these days; I usually just find myself going back and playing the classics. I don't know... the vast majority of games that are out now just feel lifeless, bereft of a soul that all of the older games I love seem to possess. I would rather play Ultima VI or VII than Oblivion, or any other open-ended RPG released over the last 10 years, for example, or hell, I would rather play Neverwinter Nights (The old AOL version) or Dark Sun Online over any MMO currently out there. It's not just for nostalgic value, either; gaming seems less like a labor of love these days, and more about pushing shit out to the lowest common denominator.

/signed

The only games coming out now that I anticipate are Valve's, there hasnt been a good TBS since forever, adventure games are dead because people will not actually advertise them, or even tell people that they exist, than people decide that adventure games are dead and anyone who says otherwise is retarded.

I loved the concept of Delta Green being applied to am x-com esque TBS, it felt badass, it felt awesome to realize that there were people out there like me, and then Flying Fish Software makes PotBS and although its good for an mmo, I really don't like MMO's, (except EvE, but thats only because of drama/goons)and really, I hope that they do keep their promise and publish DG themselves the second PotBS makes a profit.

Also, eighties special effects are fairly endearing to me.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I watched Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 on DVD after first having seen 1, 2 and 3 and was glad to see Jar Jar make a return at the end.

"WESA FREE!!!"

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    MMANMMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I played TR1 and TR2 when they first came out, and TR3 and 4 not long after TR5 came out.

That doesn't answer my question. Then again, considering you actually said you somehow have literal hate for the games (why did you play them all if you hated what you had played so much anyway?) I guess making you treat your opinion as an opinion is a lost cause.

MMAN on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, its not enough that the "game you regret buying" thread devolved into "let's hate on popular games lulz," but now we have another thread where that's its sole purpose?

On the other hand, I think we should keep this thread around. Maybe if everybody gets it all out of their systems, they won't feel the need to go into the threads where people who enjoy the game are trying to have a discussion about it and derail the thread talking about how much the game sucks balls.

Aside from Portal, I think all of Valve's games are boring.

Dirty on
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Too much 'I can't understand this', not enough 'what's wrong with me'.

The guy that didn't like Halo, HL2, OR Bioshock had better really, really, really like Serious Sam or Tribes.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    RedShell wrote: »
    The guy that didn't like Halo, HL2, OR Bioshock had better really, really, really like Serious Sam or Tribes.
    Personally I can't play FPS games like Halo, Bioshock, Metroid etc. because they give me car sickness.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was taking the OP seriously until the Goldeneye comment about how it does FPS on a console better than Halo.

See... the problem with rampant Halo reverence is that it's now somewhat cool to hate on a perfectly SOLID console FPS just to make threads about how you "don't understand" the masses.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've noticed some of the great games people don't like are those games that take a long time to build things up to where you have a lot to do. Deus Ex is like that...I started and quit several times before I made it far enough to where things got really interesting. X-Com is like that, too. Heck, the whole point of the game is that you start off not knowing about the alien menace and need to discover it, which takes a while. Deus Ex isn't much fun until you've leveled up a few skills and gotten a few implants, and X-Com isn't much fun until you've discovered some technology and anatomy. And that takes a while, just like getting some decent spells and weapons in a typical RPG takes a while.

I think it's psychological. If a game is billed as an RPG, people will put up with a few hours of relatively boring character development (like the beginning of Fallout or any Elder Scrolls game) to get to the good stuff, but if it's not explicitly about gaining XP and leveling up, a lot of people just don't have that kind of tolerance. Deus Ex doesn't take any longer to develop than your average RPG, but a lot of people quit after 10 minutes basically because you have a gun and a targeting reticule, so they expect it to grab you as fast as Quake II does.

Also, there's a lot of "I don't see what was so great about this" because it's tied to "Because I played it 5 years after it came out." Half-Life was amazing back in the late 90's when everything else was Quake clones. Deus Ex was basically a huge ode to System Shock 2 and in many ways a massive improvement. Maybe you think Halo is boring now in an era of Live, but the greatly simplified LAN gaming and vehicle combat were incredible back in 2001. Sure, Tomb Raider looks and controls like crap. It was also one of the first 3-D adventures ever. When the only other games on your machine are Jazz Jackrabbit and Duke Nukem II, Tomb Raider is something really unique. So you need to put some of these games in their historical context.

fearsomepirate on
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Save for my absolute hatred for Tomb Raider (and it is hatred - it's the only game I feel that strongly about), I'm more interested in working out why games like Rez, Darwinia and Deus Ex can be such an enjoyable experience for everyone in the damn Universe except me. I mean, I really, really want to like Darwinia. I do. It has elements of some of my favourite games in it (Cannon Fodder is, in my humble opinion, the single finest RTS game of all time) but I just can't get into it.

For Rez, I'd chalk it up to just this forums echo chamber. I'd never even have heard of the game if I hadn't come here.

As someone who adores Rez and considers it one of the best games of last gen, I understand why a lot of people don't like it. It's a very polarizing game; you either really get into the whole shtick of the game and it creates a ridiculous synergy, or it just bounces off you and you're left wondering what everyone is raving about. I spent about an hour last night just going through Area 1 over and over, refining my score and just kind of chilling out. FWIW, play the demo of Rez HD in a completely dark room with headphones cranked up, vibration on and at least one other controller next to you as a Trance Vibrator. (If you have a hoodie, placing it in the hood behind your head is the perfect spot.) Screw around with targeting multiple enemies and trying to find the waves of 4 and 8, and if you're not having fun by the time you reach the boss it's likely just Not Your Kind of Game.

I think it's important to note that those very polarizing games are by their very nature going to see a good amount of very positive discussion, because the people who like it LOVE IT and they're going to shout it from the rooftops; the people who don't like it HATE IT and typically avoid the thread, so you get a very lopsided perspective. These forums (and hell, Internet forums in general) have hyped a metric shit-ton of games that I find immensely boring or otherwise un-moving, and naming them would enrage about 70 percent of the forum regulars -- but instead, I just focus on talking about games I do like.

Ultimately you just have to reconcile that you don't like what other people like, and I'm not sure there's any rationalizing or postmortem roundtabling that will get you to "come around."

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Not Uncle DaveNot Uncle Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was taking the OP seriously until the Goldeneye comment about how it does FPS on a console better than Halo.

See... the problem with rampant Halo reverence is that it's now somewhat cool to hate on a perfectly SOLID console FPS just to make threads about how you "don't understand" the masses.

i can honestly say i had more fun with goldeneye than with halo. i don't hate halo, but i don't think it's fuckawesome like goldeneye was in its day.

timesplitters 2 didn't feel as wholesome as halo to play; the singleplayer on it is lackluster, and the multiplayer was fun as hell but didn't try to be deep or require skill like a lot of shooters. it was a party game, where halo is just more well-rounded in general.

Not Uncle Dave on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Also, Shadow of the Colossus was easily one of my favourite games of last gen, there were -some- frame rate issues[...]
    A-hahahahahaha!

Hahaha-haaaaaa!

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Also, Shadow of the Colossus was easily one of my favourite games of last gen, there were -some- frame rate issues[...]
    A-hahahahahaha!

Hahaha-haaaaaa!

"Well, SOTC is a game whose frame rate can increase and decrease wildly. Actually, we have incorporate the variable frame rate in the design - it increases and decreases with load balancing. Although there are cases when it reaches 60fps, there are also times when it falls to the 15fps range, but the motion blur helps to smooth over this, and the player's sensation of frame rate changes is held down to a minimum."

It isn't a killer, I've seen games on the 360 with a worse frame rate (The first Tony Hawks game to come out for one). And it is SOME frame rate issues, generally when fighting the beasties, you won't notice it.

Read http://www.team-ico.net/sotc/index.html for info on how they tried to handle the tech behind SOTC. Apparently it works MUCH better on a PS3 with backwards compat.

Mine doesn't have that though. -sob-.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Framerate didn't bother me at all. If I hadn't heard about issues I wouldn't have noticed anything.

I guess we all have different eyes.

LewieP on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The OPer, Squirmy (can I call you squirmy?) has tastes and opinions. The only problem is that he/she/it doesn't realise this and thinks it's odd.

I hate Halo and lots of other very popular games. I love Burnout and Final Fantasy and lots of other popular games. Pretty much everyone is like this. It's no biggie.

I don't really like action games unless they're digestible in small chunks (beat-em-ups, racers). I get stressed by fast games, such as RTSes. I love the tactical shooting in GOW, but can't stand any shooter where you can dodge bullets/laserbolts. I can't play modern-day shooters as I feel guilty for shooting towelheads or russkies or thecurrentenemiesoffreedom.

I love love love SRPGs, especially on handhelds. In fact, on handhelds, I like very different games to my PC or current console. I thought Bloody Roar was infinitely better than Tekken.

In other words, normal.

Or am I missing the point of the thread?

(I usually do....)

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Longest Journey - I liked the fantasy parts of the game, but somehow couldn't stand the futuristic world. I dunno, maybe I'm just not a point'n click adventure guy, and all the dialogues seemed so ... girlish to me.

I stopped playing at the police station I think, does it get any better? Do I return to the fantasy world soon?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always thought the Grand Theft auto games were pure shit.

I bought the one for xbox that had 3 and San Andreas on it and returned it the next day for Gladius, which kicked ass and was great for Co-op too!

Even crackdown, I thought was more fun than the car theft, hooker beating games.

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For those people hating on Rez, did you play through the whole game or just the demo? Because I was kind of with you on thinking "This is it?" until I started Stage 5 and was summarily blown away.

Oh and very good post fearsomepirate. You really need to see a lot of these games in the proper context. FF7 for example was a decent RPG attached with some incredible production values at the time. Stuff like integrating FMV with gameplay blew my mind when I first played. Similarly, Tomb Raider was so highly lauded because it was one of the very first expansive 3D Action/Adventure games. Going into some of the areas and just seeing the amazing sense of scale involved was awe inspiring at the time.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Evil_Pig wrote: »

I bought the one for xbox that had 3 and San Andreas on it and returned it the next day for Gladius, which kicked ass and was great for Co-op too!

Even crackdown, I thought was more fun than the car theft, hooker beating games.

GTA4 might change your mind. It looks a hundred times better than GTA3/VC/SA.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Craveon wrote: »
    RedShell wrote: »
    Personally I can't play FPS games like Halo, Bioshock, Metroid etc. because they give me car sickness.

I really, really, really liked Serious Sam. Tribes I couldn't get into... really wanted to, though. I prefer the flight mechanics of the Meccs in Giants - Citizen Kabuto.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Evil_Pig wrote: »

GTA4 might change your mind. It looks a hundred times better than GTA3/VC/SA.

That's because it's on a new engine... since Vice City came out I prayed they'd develop a new engine for the next game, but no, SA used the old GTA3 one. Hopefully the new engine will give a greater degree of control and allow for a more free-flowing world. The GTA3 one was restricted by PS2 technology (even though I only played the pc versions).

Rohan on

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Knights of the Old Republic

Star Wars? Check.
    Beautiful graphics? Check.
    Classes and skills from the SW RPG handbook? Check.
    Lightsabers and the Old Republic? Check.

Then I started playing it, and completely got turned off by a number of things. Manaan was a boring, unfunny joke that your friend tells you, and you try to at least force a smile because it's your friend, but you can't because it's just that bad. Taris was the worst opening "dungeon" since Baldur's Gate II. The unbelievably ham-handed method of calculating force alignment left you with two options upon meeting any given person: kill a puppy while bathing in the blood of their grandparents, or be so self-sacrificing and single-mindedly generous that you put 60s comic book superheroes to shame. And Jolee? Fuck Jolee. Lots of people want to suck him off for being a "grey Jedi" and bucking the system, but all the crap he said was boring fluff. He wasn't funny.

In fact, the only NPCs worth having around were HK-47 and maybe Canderous. And I suppose Carth, but only if you're going darkside female and you want to kill him in the end.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TheWizardOfJozTheWizardOfJoz Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    3D platformers. All of them. Every single solitary one.
    This is genuinely a 'What's wrong with me?' situation, but they just don't appeal. I used to love 2D platformers, but as soon as that pesky extra dimension gets injected, the fun drains out. An unnecessary, fun-killing complication to a genre that always thrived on an elegant simplicity.

TheWizardOfJoz on
    Thank you for the days.
    I won't forget a single day believe me.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Popular games I don't like:
    -All incarnations of Counterstrike
    -Halo(1,2,3)
    -GTA series
    -Diablo(1,2,LOD)

I don't enjoy myself at all, when playing them.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Reading this thread, I'd quite like to try MGS again with a different approach. Maybe I got confused when the game told me not to be seen and to avoid combat, but I think I could do better with TSR's little guide of mixing all 3 aspects :)

oh and GTA, why does everyone love it?

Snare on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the appeal of GTA is just how open it is. I remember when 3 first came out, it was the most amazing thing ever because the world was just so huge.

I've played GTA 1, 2, 3, VC and SanAn, and while now I don't like them as much, a few years ago I thought they were awesome just because of how much freedom they offer.

Also, popping in a GTA and just causing some random chaos is a great way to unwind. I don't think -anyone- plays them for the story.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I suppose interaction with the world was quite fun, seeing how many stars you could get. Crackdown was pretty sweet though, I think that is a better game overall.
    I personally got frustrated in GTA at the story because random factors would mess up some real hard work and you'd have to start again with the same risk that some random car would smash into you!!!

Snare on