Dwarf Fortress: Fishing interrupted by carp

1545556575860»

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    xzzy wrote: »
    lol nice.

fuck those elves.

also fuck masons who make legendary floodgates.

bitch is going to be slow as fuck the rest of his life

Dwarves won't carry around artifacts in the latest version. Which is nice.. because building those floodgates and statues adds a huge amount of wealth to your fortress.

Wouldn't them carrying the artifacts around give your fortress wealth in the "held/worn" category?

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, Synthetic Orange's mandate for three maces was ignored. Despite having a large prison with 16 cages, Synthetic Orange decides a vicious beating is best. Of course, a woodworker gets the blame. After a short pursuit, hmxmoss caught up with the woodworker in one of the gigantic finished goods storage warehouses. He of course began administering a beating with his warhammer.

BAM. Lower body broken and head broken. Yellow. The poor woodworker was left writhing in pain, swinging in an out of consciousness. Thanks, SynthO and Hmxmoss.

EDIT: While amassing at the gates to deal with an otherwise insignificant Gobbo Spears ambush, some fucking CrossbowGobbos attacked at close range. The only one out the gate so far was Tgbob the HammerChampion, who promptly felt it was a good time to go into a martial trance. He charged at them, deftly evading bolt after bolt, getting close enough to pummel two of the nasty green buggers. Then a bolt pierced his knee, dropping him like a sack of fox skulls. Then the four surviving green menaces gave him a very violent iron supplement, piercing tgbob's heart. He will join his wife, fadingthedges, in Dorf Valhalla. RIP ;_;.

Then Samoris the Newbie Marksdwarf ran out the gate, shot a single steel bolt - which pierced the organs of one CrossbowGobbo - and charged at the Gobbos. Poor dwarf didn't even have a quiver, it seems. It was all over rather quickly, as the vicious Gobbos turned brave but stupid Samoris into a crimson pincushion. RIP ;_;.

Blast, who came out the gate with Samoris, ran at the beasts and delivered a hearty swing (which finished off the Gobbo Samoris had shot), but then lost his nerves and ran off. I'm not shitting you here. Blast just began running away, somehow avoiding ventilation via iron bolt as he ran. After feeling the soothing exterior of a Chestnut cage, he gained his nerves back and ran back at the Gobbos. Again, not shitting you here. He stood above the cage, a quick red question mark appeared and bam he's okay. I need a psychiatrist in this fortress. By now though, the ever loyal War Dogs of Samoris had arrived and tore the distracted CrossbowGobbos apart. One of them had its throat shot out. RIP ;_;.

Just when I thought things had settled down somewhat, a PikeGobbo ambush appeared RIGHT OUTSIDE MY GATE. Samoris' last War Dog fought valiantly against two green squishy dudes, but was soon skewered a few too many times. RIP ;_;.

Seeing this, Blast lost his nerve again and ran off. Goddamnit. YOU'RE SO DEAD WHEN THIS IS ALL OVER. SO DEAD.

Then Xzzy and SynthO came out the gate. The two wizened old dwarves, both experienced mayors and warriors, set to work. SynthO's precisely aimed iron bolts destroyed both of a Gobbo's legs whilst Xzzy decimated a nearby green fiend. Having somehow gained his nerve back once again, Blast charged at the Goblin Squad Leader pursuing him and beat him like a ginger step-child. One gobbo was launched right into one of my Trader Death Pits, where he fell several Z-Levels and promptly exploded. A goblin attempted to escape, but the wise mayor SynthO judged this to be against his laws, and proceeded to fill him full of steel bolts, possibly laughing psychotically whilst doing so.

Should I execute Blast for cowardice?

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    OK, my farm plots won't accept plump helmets being grown, for some reason; the option is red. Why would this be?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Too late in the season/no seeds?

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    J3p wrote: »
    So, Synthetic Orange's mandate for three maces was ignored. Despite having a large prison with 16 cages, Synthetic Orange decides a vicious beating is best. Of course, a woodworker gets the blame. After a short pursuit, hmxmoss caught up with the woodworker in one of the gigantic finished goods storage warehouses. He of course began administering a beating with his warhammer.

What else beat up with? Pointy stick no make for great justice!

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Too late in the season/no seeds?

It won't let me choose them for any season, and I've got plump helmet spawn in spades.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    SamorisSamoris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't quote me on this However, whenever I had that happen before I had to let my field lay fallow for a season before I could grow plants again, all seeds were red to me, so I assume there was something wrong with the field that I was growing in, so I just set it to fallow and I could grow things again in it next season.

Samoris on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That would make sense from an agricultural standpoint, I guess. It's just never happened to me before.

Edit: Yep, that seemed to work. Cool, thanks.

Also, I've managed to dig out a multi-level area of empty space with only a single injury - I'm that much closer to having a waterfall/reservoir/well construction.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We're enacting the will of the people!

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh god and just when I think it's calmed down a SpearGobbo ambush appears right at the gates. DoublePlusFuck! The thresher unlucky enough to discover them finds himself experiencing what it's like to be a shishkebab first hand.

Xzzy, SynthO and Dkarrde all dash back to the gate. Seeing the unorganised group of silly green things outside the gate, SynthO delivers his verdict: Sentenced to death. With Xzzy at point and others suppressing fire, the Goblins soon found themselves being reduced to a chunky sauce. The gavel of death and dismemberment has once again been banged.

An ambush squad far to the north retreats.

Champions are sooooo good.

Oh, and in other news...

Vic died in a sparring accident. He spent the last minutes of his life thrashing around in a pool of his own blood. Witnesses claim he did it to himself.

InfestedGnome broke his left upper leg in a sparring accident. Witnesses claim it was a "stray axe" that did it. More at 11.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes! I am the only new recruit to have not been injured. :P

In other news, I just started up a new fortress. This run around I decided to start in a location that I knew would have soil just for ease of food production. I set up the base of my fortress. I've got a barracks for general sleeping purposes, I set up an office for my leader of the expedition, I've set up a kitchen/still/fishery near my food stockpile, dining room, and farm. On the second floor I've set up my workshop location and begun churning out more beds and an assortment of decorations for rooms in order to build private rooms for my dwarves, and some of my miners are currently digging those rooms out. I've also set one of my dwarves to stonecrafting in order to have SOMETHING to trade to the merchants whenever they get here. I'm avoiding using traps this game, because I'd like to have a game where I actually rely on the military, because it just sounds like so much more fun :). I've currently only got my one axedwarf and four dogs that I set out on the expedition with. However, when my first wave of immigrants arrive (It just turned autumn, should be here shortly), I'm probably going to start stating up some of the peasants then recruit them and start them sparring.

Samoris on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've only had a forum guard for five minutes, and already one of them's got himself injured sparring. It's like I've created the Keystone Cops.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    By studying my dwarves, I have come to the conclusion that the maximum armor a dwarf set to plate will wear is:

Head: Cap and Helm
    Chest: Chain mail and Plate mail
    Leggings: Greaves
    Feet: High Boots
    Hands: Gauntlets

So the two slots where they will double up their armor is head and chest. Still pretty awesome.

EDIT: I died in a sparring accident? Noes!

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How do I get my dwarfs to pick up better equipment? I've got some steel crossbows, but they're all using their wooden ones.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How do I get my dwarfs to pick up better equipment? I've got some steel crossbows, but they're all using their wooden ones.

[v]iew the Dwarf in question, go to his nventory, find his weapon, gently apply pressure to your enter key, in the item description menu, [d]ump that wooden shit.

Another dwarf will then pry the weapon from the fingers of the military dwarf, who will then go and pick up a new weapon.

EDIT: Now that things have calmed down a notch, I've gotten the opportunity to pad my military with some more [strike]bolt fodder[/strike] recruits. Please welcome the the glorious military of Fortress Groovepaint the follow gentledwarves:

Stregone, Marksdwarf
    Kingthlayer, Axedwarf
    Bloodsheed, Marksdwarf
    FightTest, Marksdwarf
    GenericFan, Hammerdwarf
    Littwentythree, Macedwarf
    Zerinan, Swordsdwarf

Please refrain from dying.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Elves just traded me a black bear. Awesome

The Elves brought me one as well. I now have it thanks to the Goblins which ran down the entire Elven caravan.

Something strange about the idea of a black bear walking into the dining room.

Oh, this reminds of a time where I swear, the dwarves had a giant cave spider! D:

I tried to make enough money to buy it but never did :| Sorry, if this is a little late.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I've played about half to a full year of like 5 different maps now, slowly refining my complete and utter failure.

My biggest problem is not knowing what I'm supposed to do with the traders. First of all, if I build the trade depot indoors then it says wagon inaccessible. But am I really supposed to be building shit outside? And secondly.. I just have no clue how to interact with them. Man I suck.

I just tried a game near some lava since people were talking about how great magma forges are, plus I read some of the shenanigans unleashing lava on attackers. Turns out fire imps didn't like my proximity and I quickly lost one of my first seven. Then I lost almost all of my migrants because for some reason they liked to hang around outside even though they had already been inside.

Steep learning curve is steep.

Hopefully I do better as marksdwarf in someone else's game than I do running my own~

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    When dorfs have no job, they'll go to a meeting area. It is imperative that you set an indoor meeting area (use zonng) early on those maps.

Wagons are three wide, so you have to make sure there are no bottlenecks less than three wide. My trade depot is outdoors, but then again all I have to worry about are some runty zombie foxes.

My first few weeks with this game, www.dwarffortresswiki.net was my bible.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    With the trade depot, I would recommend you build it outside, unless you have a place within your fortress that has an entrance three squares wide. I personally just build them outside. Now, the problem is, merchants still have to be able to access your depot. If there are obstacles blocking the merchants from entering your depot with their wagons (They need a direct path there, with at least 3 squares width) then you have to get rid of them. Boulders have to be smoothed down with the [d]esignation mooth stone, trees have to be chopped down with another designation, chop down [t]rees. I'm not positive what determines where a caravan will spawn on the map. However, if my depot is inaccessible I generally just clear a direct 3 width route to the closest edge of the map. Even if the merchants don't spawn at that location, they will generally be able to reach that path. You may want to build roads, I haven't actually played around with those yet, so I don't know.

Edit: Beaten.

I might as well add my own question. I took four dogs on my journey, for early defense purposes. Now they've begun to breed quite a bit recently, I already have 5 puppies, and its just now reaching my first spring. Is there any negative effect to having a lot of dogs in your fortress?

Samoris on
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

[v]iew the Dwarf in question, go to his nventory, find his weapon, gently apply pressure to your enter key, in the item description menu, [d]ump that wooden shit.

Another dwarf will then pry the weapon from the fingers of the military dwarf, who will then go and pick up a new weapon.

EDIT: Now that things have calmed down a notch, I've gotten the opportunity to pad my military with some more [strike]bolt fodder[/strike] recruits. Please welcome the the glorious military of Fortress Groovepaint the follow gentledwarves:

Stregone, Marksdwarf
    Kingthlayer, Axedwarf
    Bloodsheed, Marksdwarf
    FightTest, Marksdwarf
    GenericFan, Hammerdwarf
    Littwentythree, Macedwarf
    Zerinan, Swordsdwarf

Please refrain from dying.

Horray! And now I won't be blaimed for all the sparing related death I'm about to start. Sounds like a win/win to me.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Samoris wrote: »
    I might as well add my own question. I took four dogs on my journey, for early defense purposes. Now they've begun to breed quite a bit recently, I already have 5 puppies, and its just now reaching my first spring. Is there any negative effect to having a lot of dogs in your fortress?

They breed a lot. Slows down your machine. I generally perform mass cullings of the fortress animal population every now and then. Hey, it's not my fault puppies are so delicious.

Another sordid tale of a saved soul in my fortress. A woodcutter was attacked by zombie wolves, her left arm broken, her lower body mangled, her left eye gouged out and her right arm torn off at the shoulder. Before the final bite could be delivered, Synthetic Orange saved her. Somehow, she didn't die of blood loss, and a Dorf Nurse brought her back into the fortress. She now rests in her bedroom, her mood ecstatic.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Samoris wrote: »

Having the animal population in your fort rise will cause the same kind of FPS slowdown that an increase in dwarf population will, so if you've got a relatively slow processor and you're concerned about game speed you might want to have a few puppy sandwiches.

If they're all hanging out in really tight tunnels, like 1-2 spaces wide, then they can cause traffic to slow down as dwarves crawl under them, but that's mostly a non-issue now since Toady addy 8-directional movement.

Beyond those concerns, having a ton of dogs just means you have a potent military force that also doubles as an emergency food supply

Abbalah on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

2co56l3.png

EDIT: Okay, so Dkarrde and Bloodsheed shot him with their crossbows and then Blast the Hammer Lord ran in and finished him off, but not before InfestedGnome attacked Kingthlayer, leaving his upper body / right lung mangled. That's a mortal wound, right there.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That means we're all gonna die, doesn't it?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh awesome.

Also, J3p? Make a new thread. :D

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Haha, that looks like a good sig if I ever saw one, mind if I cut it down and use it? :P

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Why do we need a new thread?

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh awesome.

Also, J3p? Make a new thread. :D

Alright alright I'll stop giving absurdly verbose updates.

FOR NOW

Kingthlayer is going to try sleeping off the wound. What a champ.
    Haha, that looks like a good sig if I ever saw one, mind if I cut it down and use it? :P

I don't mind at all. Wordywheel. Heh.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Don't stop with the updates, they are incredibly entertaining.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    blastblast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm a coward, am I? What's my personality say? I had a recruit run off after a giant bat tore two of her fellow militia into bits, so I checked her personality and it said things like "does not handle stress well" and "breaks down under pressure."

Shortly afterwards she threw a tantrum in my meeting hall and beat the crap out of a mule. Seriously. We're talking red lower body and yellow brain wounds.

It would be funny if mine said I liked cages for their comforting qualities.

blast on
    Hello, little man. I will destroy you!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It says nothing of the type. It says that you prefer to consume large rats though. :|

EDIT: Hah, just looked at Xzzy's casual name (second name when you [v]iew a dorf).

Hello there, Xzzy Rosyringed the Complex Bride of Paper.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm looking forward to starting my arena/prison. Just to see if you guys can spot any obvious flaws. I'll have my main entrance have some hallways to brances off of. I'm going to try to put hatches with pressure plate that will drop them into a large room. Then I will have a small entryway into a room, that will be used as an arena. I will also try to starve them just to see if it can be done. Poor, poor gobbos! I might also try to have a hatch leading to magma just to see that.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Would there be any reason why I'm getting stronger and stronger goblin thieves, but no sieges as yet? I've got a 35-strong army (23 Marksdwarfs, 11 Wrestlers), and I'm itching to perforate something.

I might start booby-trapping my trading post to try and stir up an international incident.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Would there be any reason why I'm getting stronger and stronger goblin thieves, but no sieges as yet? I've got a 35-strong army (23 Marksdwarfs, 11 Wrestlers), and I'm itching to perforate something.

I might start booby-trapping my trading post to try and stir up an international incident.

I think they actually have to steal something and live for you to get a siege, but I don't know.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That would make sense, I guess. I'll leave them alone from now on.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They should show up when you get 80 dwarves in your entire population, and keep coming from then on even if your population drops down below 80.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wavecutter on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It says nothing of the type. It says that you prefer to consume large rats though. :|

EDIT: Hah, just looked at Xzzy's casual name (second name when you [v]iew a dorf).

Hello there, Xzzy Rosyringed the Complex Bride of Paper.

I take that to mean I give nasty papercuts. Steel papercuts.

xzzy on