Options

South Park: season 12

1323334353638»

• Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I honestly thought they were parodying that british thieves club series.

Or thieves club things overall. Ocean's Eleven is just one of them.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    I thought the Obama episode was pretty weak.

An Ocean's Eleven spoof? You're about seven years too late fellas.

Why does it have to be recent?

For a show where most of the humor comes from current events, yeah, it kind of has to be recent.

No it doesn't. That's stupid.

Really, really stupid. Popular Culture, surprisingly, has a shelf-life of more than an E! newscycle if someone couldn't come up with at least Ocean's 11 in their mind when watching the episode then they are too stupid to watch South Park.

And if they think it's lame that it's a reference from outside of that newscycle, then they are a douchenozzle.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It says a lot about the series that they can centre it on side characters and have it interesting while the Simpsons can only do it if the family is involved and regardless of what happens it seems forced, unnecessary and stupid.

The Simpsons used to be that way. They used to have an engaging and welcoming cast of secondary characters that have long since gone the way of the dodo.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    It says a lot about the series that they can centre it on side characters and have it interesting while the Simpsons can only do it if the family is involved and regardless of what happens it seems forced, unnecessary and stupid.

The Simpsons used to be that way. They used to have an engaging and welcoming cast of secondary characters that have long since gone the way of the dodo.

Not to derail the thread but two of the best Simpsons' episodes have really good secondary characters. The Monorail Salesman and Hank Scorpio. Those two characters, despite them being one shots, are pure awesome.

As for Season 12 of South Park, I really liked this season. I thought the two Pandemic episodes were great. Craig calling the boys out on their shit and Randy acting like a retard. Over Logging and Breast Cancer Show Ever were my two favorite episodes from the season. The only one I was ehhhh about was Britney's New Look, if only because I felt the whole Headless Britney Spears thing was creepy as fuck to watch for a half hour.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DHS wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    I thought the Obama episode was pretty weak.

An Ocean's Eleven spoof? You're about seven years too late fellas.

Why does it have to be recent?

For a show where most of the humor comes from current events, yeah, it kind of has to be recent.

No it doesn't. That's stupid.

Really, really stupid. Popular Culture, surprisingly, has a shelf-life of more than an E! newscycle if someone couldn't come up with at least Ocean's 11 in their mind when watching the episode then they are too stupid to watch South Park.

And if they think it's lame that it's a reference from outside of that newscycle, then they are a douchenozzle.

2000 year old reference, get with the times South Park!

jesus-south-park.jpg

BubbaT on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They need more Jesus.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not to derail the thread but two of the best Simpsons' episodes have really good secondary characters. The Monorail Salesman and Hank Scorpio. Those two characters, despite them being one shots, are pure awesome.

They need Hank back. I would love it so much. It's too bad Phil Hartman is dead. He was hilarious... :(.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

They need Hank back. I would love it so much. It's too bad Phil Hartman is dead. He was hilarious... :(.

Mr. Scorpion was Albert Brooks, who also played the villain in the movie.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

Phil was the monorail salesmen, Troy Meclur and Lionel Hutze. We lost a lot with his death.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Scorpio, not scorpion.

Scorpio would not be pleased.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

Phil was the monorail salesmen, Troy Meclur and Lionel Hutze. We lost a lot with his death.

I know who Phil was, the post made it sound like they thought Phil = Scorpio.

Scorpio, not scorpion.

Scorpio would not be pleased.

Yes sir, I will notice that. Very casual, Mr Scorpion.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Bart befriends a Muslim boy named Bashir, although Homer suspects his parents of terrorism. He discovers what he thinks to be a terrorist plot to blow up the Springfield Mall and tries to warn the town of the plan. Meanwhile, Lisa gets a "Mypod".[1]

South Park did it! South Park did it! South Park did it!

Seriously. The character in SP was called BAHIR ffs.

Sad to see that the Simpsons is continuing its death spiral. iPod jokes, how topical.

I think they're trying just hard enough not to get canceled.

I still can't fucking believe they canceled King of the Hill..:evil:

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    The Simpsons is in no danger of getting cancelled and will never be in any danger of getting cancelled

Tube on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Simpsons will outlive us all.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I honestly thought they were parodying that british thieves club series.

You mean Hustle. Yes, there was definitely more than a hint of Hustle in there along with the obvious Ocean's Eleven-ness. I've noticed when South Park parodies, they tend not to parody one thing in particular but throw a whole bunch of references to similar shit in there in the hopes that as many people as possible will go "hey, a reference to something i've seen before! Hahahahaha!" Not that this is entirely a bad thing.

Favorite bit of season finale: Cartman's reaction to Butter's "feeding" attempt.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Soooo... No more new South Park for some odd months now? Man, I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed with the second half of these season.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is the scene at the end of South Park (with Kyle realizing the true nature of the universe etc) a direct reference to anything?

It seems intensely familiar but I can't place it.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is the scene at the end of South Park (with Kyle realizing the true nature of the universe etc) a direct reference to anything?

Which episode?

Sepah on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sepah wrote: »

Which episode?

I think that would be the tooth-fairy one.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zython wrote: »

Which episode?

The ending to 2001?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zython wrote: »

Which episode?

You know what, I said "At the end of south park," I meant "At the end of The Tooth Fairy Tats"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You mean Hustle. Yes, there was definitely more than a hint of Hustle in there along with the obvious Ocean's Eleven-ness. I've noticed when South Park parodies, they tend not to parody one thing in particular but throw a whole bunch of references to similar shit in there in the hopes that as many people as possible will go "hey, a reference to something i've seen before! Hahahahaha!" Not that this is entirely a bad thing.

hmm... put that way though I see it as more of a playing with genre conventions thing rather than just throwing a bucket load of references in. Like the ski slope one 'asspen'(?) - it had some specific references sure, but for the most part it was never doing a scary movie style film reference-o-rama --> SP always works best when it is making fun of a genre by strictly adhering to its conventions.

For me its not usually a 'its a reference to X film' so much as 'oh theyre doing this sort of movie' of which most people will have seen about 20 or 30 of said type.

Lacroix on