As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Exteel: Free Giant Robots

• Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Create the room PA. That's where people hang out and if there's a lot of people on let me know so I can play.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Goomba wrote:
    Have you tried turning the settings down?
    Well, when I go into practice mode it's as smooth as silk. Elsewhere it's as smooth as crusty shit from Satan's ass. I'll get on in about an hour to see if it's any different.

edit: It's not, I'm done. I'll stick to TF2 for now, this isn't worth the headache.

Estoc on
  • Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    After trying to resist the dark pull, I have realised that CTF is indeed where it is at. Oh, but how I long for competant teammates though -- it gets rather frustrating when they feel the need to capture the same aerogate over and over but never the damned flag. At other times it is a most rewarding experience.

Also I got my new mech. It is most sexual and I can't believe what a difference having it makes.

Concerning pilot skills, or stats in general, I'd like to know how exactly the aim stat works. Do shots ever really miss, or is it increasing damage per shot? I'd like to know whether or not it's worth plugging points into or not, otherwise it's speed all the way baby.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think aim just increases the "box" in which you lock on with a given weapon. It's smaller or larger on different weapons within a class.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2008
    I think aim just increases the "box" in which you lock on with a given weapon. It's smaller or larger on different weapons within a class.

Really? I never noticed my recticles getting larger, they seem the same as ever. I thought it was probably to do with chances of making successful strikes over distance, since all shots are pretty much homing. The marksmanship stat on mech parts gets pretty damn high on some models but I don't expect that affects the actual recticle at all.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I didn't mean your reticle would get larger. When you aim at another player, there's a zone in which your reticle "locks on". AFAIK aim just increases that invisible zone for a given weapon.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've heard that mech size also affects whether or not something gets hit, so there is some numbers rolling behind there. But generally accuracy seems pretty decent so I don't know why I'd spend 3 points a bump on it.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I've heard that mech size also affects whether or not something gets hit, so there is some numbers rolling behind there. But generally accuracy seems pretty decent so I don't know why I'd spend 3 points a bump on it.

It's actually 3 for the first bump, 6 for second, 9, etc. I think you can only go as far as 15 though. I have to say, I did notice an improvemnt after the first upgrade, but after that it was hard to tell because my own ability improved as well. I'm going to drop 9 and get +15 accuracy, and if I don't discern any real difference then, I won't bother with it anymore as it will merely be taking away from potential speed stats :D

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played the game most of the weekend, and short of hating the fact that paint expires after 30 days, I'm really enjoying it. At least when the lag isn't terrible, once I start warping and getting railed because the server thinks I'm one place and I think I'm another, I usually end up quiting in disgust. I hope they get their net code ironed out, my server ping is usually under 100, which isn't terrible. TF2 runs perfectly fine.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No, shots do miss, all it does is make you miss less. The box isn't effected at all.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    runwiled wrote: »

It's actually 3 for the first bump, 6 for second, 9, etc. I think you can only go as far as 15 though. I have to say, I did notice an improvemnt after the first upgrade, but after that it was hard to tell because my own ability improved as well. I'm going to drop 9 and get +15 accuracy, and if I don't discern any real difference then, I won't bother with it anymore as it will merely be taking away from potential speed stats :D

Really? So far I've done like 6 speed, 4 En, 2 Hp, and all of them are still just 2 points to bump.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    speed bumps up after 10.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    runwiled wrote: »

Really? So far I've done like 6 speed, 4 En, 2 Hp, and all of them are still just 2 points to bump.

I can only imagine that's because it's such an important stat that they have to penalise you pretty heavily for its use. I think the only other stat that jumps up with each boost is SP, but I don't recall. The wiki has the information on the point costs and ranks, but not what the stats actually do.
    -- --
    I'm glad you think so too Goomba, because I was pretty sure it was a numerical issue too, not just a hit-box thing.

runwiled on
    mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Aha, missed the wiki link before. I was reading a forum guide and it sounds like the speed buff isn't the same as what you see on the screen but a behind-the-screens thing, but otherwise HP/EN/SP/Scan is pretty straightforward (although Scan seems a bit worthless if it doesn't actually boost your lock on ranges).

Scooter on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not sure if its just the weapon or the points I put in marksmenship, but I've definately seen the pulses from my Persuader Cs track after I've shot them to hit the target. After a while you get the hang of it and can shoot people as they jump off a ledge and it'll track over the lip and still hit them.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gah! My laptop is hardly suitable for gaming...

But, I'm having fun when I do get to play! I wound up naming my robot the GOMONKEY because Carpainter wouldn't fit and I can't think of anything awesome.

You should paint your mech orange and blue, and call it 'Mr Nifty'.

(I'll be playing soon, I loved playing Gunz with friends and giant robots can only make this better.)

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    both of my mechs are orange and blue D:

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Not sure if its just the weapon or the points I put in marksmenship, but I've definately seen the pulses from my Persuader Cs track after I've shot them to hit the target. After a while you get the hang of it and can shoot people as they jump off a ledge and it'll track over the lip and still hit them.

all guns do that

You can fire a burst at someone with the SMG, then duck behind cover, and the entire burst will still hit them also.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    well i earned 5400 for my last stand matches last week, thats not too bad but i think if i just played deathmatch and ctf i would have made more

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I got 8400 and I don't think that I played more than 10 games, so I'm pretty happy with that.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    both of my mechs are orange and blue D:

Trust me, being similarly colored to Mr Nifty is a compliment of the highest order - Mr Nifty is the light of truth amongst the clouds of confusion.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So do people really play anymore? It was fun doing team games against pubs.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i still play, but i barely ever see anyone on

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was on for a bit... but then I got off because 5:00 Eastern is generally FS2 time. I might get on in a bit, though, as there seem to be a grand total of 0 games being played.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i'm digging the change to ctf, no longer being fucking slow as hell with the flag is a plus.

also - 1609 credits for winning a match

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So how are the shotguns fellas? The wiki says they suck but I hold a special place for boomsticks in my heart. Anybody have any experience with em? Also is there a way to sell stuff back? Ive noticed the scrap option but dunno if that just trashes stuff or what...

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    malkoth wrote: »
    So how are the shotguns fellas? The wiki says they suck but I hold a special place for boomsticks in my heart. Anybody have any experience with em? Also is there a way to sell stuff back? Ive noticed the scrap option but dunno if that just trashes stuff or what...

If you're going to sell the parts, you have to choose the "Sell Option" in the store - you can't sell parts from the hangar.

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

If you're going to sell the parts, you have to choose the "Sell Option" in the store - you can't sell parts from the hangar.

Yes you can, the "scrap" option definitely sells stuff back.

They really ought to get a new team of translators. :P

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes you can, the scrap" option definitely sells stuff back.

Oh.. huh. Hm.

Man, I think I knew that, too. :|

mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    Thor1590Thor1590 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm still playing, and I got one of my other friends into it, but (high) school picked up again, so I won't be on at 3 in the morning (like all you queers seem to be have been most often) except on weekends.

Thor1590 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes you can, the scrap" option definitely sells stuff back.

Oh.. huh. Hm.

Man, I think I knew that, too. :|

Actually, I'm really impressed with the translation on this game. It is leagues better than all those other crazy foreign games that come out.

Thor1590 on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The main one that is kind of jarring is when they say "capture" the flag they actually mean "picked up".

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wow, hot damn. That cash reward from the Last Stand matches? Turned out to be 9,000 credits. Not bad at all.

Thor1590 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well if people are going to play then we should set up a specific time to play because playing alone gets really boring.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Shotguns - Dazzlers are horrible, Spatter Guns do good damage, Hellrazors do good damage and stun.

Hellrazor + Spear is my personal favorite. Stun them with the shotgun to close, then impale them.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    With my schedule I can't really get on Mon/Tues at all, and you can't really expect me much this week til Fri.

Not that you're all waiting for me or something. But in case you were.

Scooter on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just started playing this weekend, and I'm having a blast. It helps that I <3 mecha with a fiery passion.

I'm 'Harrier' in case anyone's seen me. I'm soldiering forward, trying to earn money and levels to cobble together my dream mecha, the fearsome (Gundam) Gestalt Custom.

Also, what are the Points for? I earn them every time I level up, but I've yet to ascertain their purpose.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pilot Info in the bottom left corner.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've just started and i'm getting close to making enough cash to buy a weapon and I was wondering if a shotgun is a good investment. I tend to go for mid range combat with SMGs and close range with shield/sword.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The guides I've seen, and I tend to agree, say the first upgrade you get should be the booster.

Scooter on