edited March 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    sing me Spanish techno
    instead of the beat going un-ce un-ce un-ce it goes ON-CE

LOL GET IT
    Good pun, meaning it’s an awful joke.

It would not work here because a beat going eleven eleven eleven would make no sense

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Gotcha. How many mics did you have to work with, and what software did you use?

Well, let me paint the picture for you. The band is composed of a drummer and a keyboard player/vocalist. The drummer wasn't mic'd up, but the keyboardist/vocalist was running himself through his own amp plus a couple of speakers on stands they brought. I was running two Oktava mics, cardioid, approximately DIN, about 8 feet on a stand and about 10-15 feet away from where they were playing. Those ran into a Sound Devices MixPre which fed the signal into a Fostex FR-2LE. I messed around with the levels in Adobe Audition, messed with the EQ a little bit using one of the Waves plugins, and did my tracking in CDWave.

Logic makes things much easier.

...just sayin.

I'd love to work around with it, but I lack a Mac.

---

Eddy: <3

Gim on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I received a text message from a local-number I've never seen before.

That's happened to me before. I ended up going out with her a couple times.

I had a nice plan in line to shut that down already, it ended up being no one though.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh, never mind, it was my dad's wife pretending to be clever.

I call my mom that when I'm angry at her

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Brawl's Norfair remix is funky

I noticed that a lot of the Metroid ones have some weird monologue in them, which makes me hesitate to set the to maps I create.
    I think they're ripping off Super Metroid's opening, but extremely poorly

It's even in the Metroid Prime theme, and it's hard to make out what the guy is saying. I'd rather just have the theme.

Then again, I've been setting everything to the Sonic CD theme, because it's the best track on there.
    Mother 3 has some nice ones. Unfounded Revenge and This is a Utopia?! are rad. The song from Metroid Prime 2 is one of the best for Metroid; bitchin' SM Brinstar remix.

Anything from Fire Emblem that isn't stupid Ike's or stupid Black Knight's theme is pretty great. Anything from Metal Gear Solid that isn't a theme of something other than love is pretty great. About 90% of the Zelda songs are amazing.

Stores are closed and I need a Wii LAN adapter...

Frosteey on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »
    So, what's the deal with Gamespot. It seems like they're waiting insane amounts of time to get out reviews of more high profile games these days.

I mean, I primarily go there out of habit anyway since it seems like their reviews are written by a bunch of high school freshmen these days, but still.
    Five other dudes have quit since that Jeff guy was fired, so I’m not surprised if they’re falling behind.

ahhh god terrible typos kill them kill them with fire. ahem.

I didn't hear anything about that, although it's not terribly surprising. May also explain their dip in quality. Maybe.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I had a nice plan in line to shut that down already, it ended up being no one though.

Yeah, I noticed posts 78 and 79 go together oh so well.

It would have ended up being a distance thing in my case though, so we don't really do much anymore.

Edit: Although now I'm curious as to what this plan was?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just had a brief mood swing. How odd.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Well, let me paint the picture for you. The band is composed of a drummer and a keyboard player/vocalist. The drummer wasn't mic'd up, but the keyboardist/vocalist was running himself through his own amp plus a couple of speakers on stands they brought. I was running two Oktava mics, cardioid, approximately DIN, about 8 feet on a stand and about 10-15 feet away from where they were playing. Those ran into a Sound Devices MixPre which fed the signal into a Fostex FR-2LE. I messed around with the levels in Adobe Audition, messed with the EQ a little bit using one of the Waves plugins, and did my tracking in CDWave.

Ah, you used the Fostex. I've had good experiences with those recorders the few times I've run into them in college. From what you said, it sounded like you were going for a "quick and dirty" live approach, which is fine. But then you run into the problem of levels, as you found. I assume their time constraints or the venue constraints precluded a proper mix? The Fostex recorder if memory serves has two mic inputs, right? But no line in for a keyboard? That would have helped immensely, of course, because you could have the raw line sound and just balanced it against the vocals, instead of having two mics try to do the job of 3 (or 6 or 8, seeing as how the totally unrealistic studio standard is to have a billion mics on each drum piece).

edit: What polds said, of course, but without a mac that becomes hard.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    dangit, nowhere to watch kyle xy online.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why the fuck would Publix go to Egypt?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yeah, I noticed posts 78 and 79 go together oh so well.

It would have ended up being a distance thing in my case though, so we don't really do much anymore.

Edit: Although now I'm curious as to what this plan was?

Her: "BOOOO"
    Me: "?"
    Her: "This is your stalker"
    and then she announced herself from the other room, but if she hadn't I was keying in: "How many more XP do you need to stalk someone pretty?"

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think it’s reading feeds that’s throwing me off. To test this, I’ve closed my feed reader.

Could also be the two pieces of fudge I had earlier; hard to say.

stilist on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dear god, every episode of Arrested Development is loaded, labeled, and easily streamed with no commercial interruptions. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

jotate on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    jotate wrote: »
    Dear god, every episode of Arrested Development is loaded, labeled, and easily streamed with no commercial interruptions. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Good lord, where?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I mentioned that yesterday but of course nobody cared then.

www.hulu.com

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think that, after I finish off those damned James Joyce novel, I need to start looking for fun literature again before I go back to reading history and classics again.

It would be pretty incredibly stupid if I went and made myself hate literature.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Good lord, where?

On the DVDs you buy from Circuit City.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

where!?

aww VC I think you're good looking

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    OMG Thanks yo!

(Shit top page? umm, hulu.com + arrested development = yay!)

duallain on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    haha, I had almost forgot about Evacuation Day.

Gotta love Massachusetts.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I had trouble finding this thread! I'm a stupid. :[

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I don't. But at least my shoes are. And I think I finally found sunglasses that work for me too.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Evacuation as in leaving or Evacuation as in high fiber diet?

--

Hullo Oro.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So apparently Dolores O’Whatsit from the Cranberries released a solo album?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I don't. But at least my shoes are. And I think I finally found sunglasses that work for me too.

smile goddamnit

if you smile i'd hit it

MikeMan on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Good lord, where?

http://www.hulu.com/arrested-development

jotate on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Is it called Cranberry?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "we love you natalie"

I WANNA FUCK YOU TOO

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTPt0Bp5EI&feature=related

This is how I play Hitman when it annoys me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Is it called Cranberry?
    It is not, but the name escapes me.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

smile goddamnit

if you smile i'd hit it

http://www.locateadoc.com/doctors/psychiatry/newjersey.html

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Evacuation as in leaving or Evacuation as in high fiber diet?

The former. Evacuation day is a holiday in Suffolk County (aka - Boston) celebrating the day the British were kicked (read, left to go fight elsewhere) out of Boston.

However, this is actually just a front, because Evacuation day is conveniently the same day as St. Patrick's day - the biggest non-goverment holiday in Boston. So the city council in the 20's knew that they couldn't get St. Partick's day to be a state holiday, so they proposed "Evacuation Day" instead :P

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008

Good lord, where?

How long until they get shut down?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's funny because VC has poor self perception

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Ah, you used the Fostex. I've had good experiences with those recorders the few times I've run into them in college. From what you said, it sounded like you were going for a "quick and dirty" live approach, which is fine. But then you run into the problem of levels, as you found. I assume their time constraints or the venue constraints precluded a proper mix? The Fostex recorder if memory serves has two mic inputs, right? But no line in for a keyboard? That would have helped immensely, of course, because you could have the raw line sound and just balanced it against the vocals, instead of having two mics try to do the job of 3 (or 6 or 8, seeing as how the totally unrealistic studio standard is to have a billion mics on each drum piece).

edit: What polds said, of course, but without a mac that becomes hard.

Yeah, the Fostex is nice. I picked it because it is fairly well regarded in the worlds of concert recording and movie sound. The LE lacks some of the bells and whistles that its big brother has (like the option to do timecode), but that costs about three times as much as this and I don't have a timecode slate anyhow (which is obscenely expensive in its own right).
    This wasn't exactly a proper venue. Without getting into too many details, it was put on by a club on campus who doesn't have a whole lot of sway or money, so they weren't able to get the school to set up for a proper concert (which, coincidentally, is my job at that school). So pretty much all the school offered was a few mediocre Sennheiser vocal mics and the system that they use for karaoke. This band seemed to self-sufficient, so that was fortunate. There wasn't exactly a proper mix being put out as the drums are louder than the keys/vox that were going out through the speakers (which were behind the drums, so that muddied things up a little more as well, but that was the space provided for them, so there wasn't a whole lot they could do there).
    I'm a concert/audience recorder, so most of what I do is just sticking a couple of mics into the air. You're right, the Fostex only has two inputs. If I had a four track recorder (like a 744 or R-4) then I possibly could have done a bit more. Or if I had a nice 8 or 16 track mixer, then I would have been in business, but that requires a lot more time/money/equipment to deal with. And really, this is about as much as I am willing to handle considering I am doing this all out of my own pocket and in a non-official capacity.

So that's more than you wanted to know, right?

Edit: As for the levels, well, that shouldn't have been an issue. It's just a result of the cabling I have left over from my previous rig where it was essential to go from XLR to TRS to bring the levels down. I decided to run this show with the MixPre, so it got a little complicated trying to figure out what the proper levels were to be set on two different devices. And I kept adjusting them throughout the show which is a no-no on my part. It's a bad habit that I need to stop.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »
    It's funny because VC has poor self perception

That doesn't mean I don't care, Tarranon. MikeMan isn't broken, he's a person and nobody's perfect, it's just that when people are sick they need to see a doctor.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Good lord, where?
    I don’t know if you’re joking or not, but this is the official alternative to the iTunes Store.

stilist on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I <3 Tuna.

But not as much as I <3 MikeMan.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Good lord, where?
    I don’t know if you’re joking or not, but this is the official alternative to the iTunes Store.
    Ah, I missed this part.

" joint venture owned by NBC Universal and News Corp."

Dynagrip on
This discussion has been closed.