As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Achewood Appreciation

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm trying to be diplomatic about this but I suppose I should have jsut stayed out of the thread altogtether

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    No, it's okay. Achewood truly is one of those comics that you either "get" or "don't get".

It's fine that you don't get it.

We just think less of you, now.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I gotta get this explained by someone; when Roastbeef and Ray goes to the gym, they get into some scuffle with a dude. This man proceed to plow down an acre of corn in rage, wihle having a heartattack. And during all this he screams, and I can't put it in any context: "Do you know how many of these fuckers I sell!!"
    ??

Panda4You on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Man, I gotta get this explained by someone; when Roastbeef and Ray goes to the gym, they get into some scuffle with a dude. This man proceed to plow down an acre of corn in rage, wihle having a heartattack. And during all this he screams, and I can't put it in any context: "Do you know how many of these fuckers I sell!!"
    ??

He was a car dealer. I'm assuming he likes to brag about how many cars he sells and it makes him feel important .

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Panda4You wrote: »
    ??

In the strip right before it, Ray mentions that the guy owns a Cadillac dealership.
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07132006

Doc on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Someone remind me: what about "rockin' thighs" would send someone over the edge into a blind rage?

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Someone remind me: what about "rockin' thighs" would send someone over the edge into a blind rage?

Nothing for a normal person. The funny part is that the guy is so horribly insecure that he freaks out over it.

Achewood's jokes rely on personalities over obvious punchlines.

Doc on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Doc wrote: »

Nothing for a normal person. The funny part is that the guy is so horribly insecure that he freaks out over it.

You have to admit that one was kinda weird, though, since we'd never seen the guy before.

I think it'd be kinda funny if he showed up again. I mean, we all know death isn't permanent in Achewood.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Achewood has it's moments but honestly it reminds me of a bunch of Kusu jokes with drawings

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Achewood has it's moments but honestly it reminds me of a bunch of Kusu jokes with drawings
    Kusu loves the comics, and he tends to write somewhat like Beef talks. It’s not really a coincidence.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Doc wrote: »

You have to admit that one was kinda weird, though, since we'd never seen the guy before.

I think it'd be kinda funny if he showed up again. I mean, we all know death isn't permanent in Achewood.

I'm pretty sure he was mentioned a few strips previous to that one, as a setup, unless I'm hallucinating.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The newest made me laugh:

achewoodti8.jpg

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    index.php?date=03012007

I might order this one with my name replacing rays. Check the alt text, you can also do it on the roast beef flow chart.

iowa on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah... I've sometimes reverted to Roast Beef speak on a couple of occasions. It's a very satisfying way of talking / writing.

One thing that continues to mystify me: Why is Phillipe living in the house?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't find this funny at all.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Then why are you in the Achewood Appreciation thread?

You don't see me going into sports threads saying "Football is stupid"

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Neither do I. Roast Beef has hell of depression.

Serious business.

I literally have 6-8 months of Achewood to catch up on. Just haven't bothered to read it in so long. The silly Mexican camera story sort of lost me.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Then why are you in the Achewood Appreciation thread?

You don't see me going into sports threads saying "Football is stupid"

You don't see a difference between those two statements, huh? Aside from the topic at hand, of course. You should try to figure it out for yourself, but if you cannot:
    "Football is stupid" is a direct attack at football, and would be pretty obnoxious in a Football appreciation thread. "I don't find Achewood funny" is just a comment about my personal take on Achewood, and not an attack on it at all. It's akin to me saying "I don't appreciate Achewood," which is kind of relevant in an Achewood appreciation thread, not that I think anyone really cares what I think. Frankly, it was kind of silly for you to latch onto it, and your comparison to the comment "Football is stupid," was way off.

Carry on.

Drez on
  • Options
    PootPoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Please go away.

Poot on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Poot wrote: »
    Please go away.

Agreed.

And it is like going into a football thread and saying "football isn't fun to watch." There is no point to it aside from making an ass of yourself.

Doc on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No see it helps. People who don't like Achewood are humorless robots, it's always nice for them to out themselves for public derision.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Preacher wrote: »
    No see it helps. People who don't like Achewood are humorless robots, it's always nice for them to out themselves for public derision.

Achewood as a replacement for the Voigt-Kampff test? I like it.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, I had gone away. But now I think I'll stay now. Thanks for the invitation, guys.

And no, Doc, it isn't the same regardless of how annoying the existence of my opinion may be. Appreciation hardly breeds real discourse anyway, and there is no rule about expressing one's lack of a appreciation in an appreciation thread. It's relevant to the limited discourse such a thread allows.

And while it's not for me to teach anyone how to communicate here, I do invite people to procure some of the funniest examples of Achewood to prove me wrong. That would be logical. Dismissing me is understandable, but kind of silly for all seven words I had originally said.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I misread your strawman argument, Doc. Yes, it is more similar (not the same) as going into a Football appreciation thread and saying that Football isn't fun to watch. That, however, is equidistant from saying "Football is stupid" and "I don't find Football appealing" which are still two extremely different things to say, and I was comparing my comment to the former, not the one you just said. In those two examples, one is a troll given the thread context, and one is expressing one's own appreciation (or lack thereof) of the topic at hand.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So you have nothing to add to the thread, but it's important that we know this?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't really care what you know.

Sigh, I'm being lulled into senseless argument. Anyway, to everyone else that likes Achewood: I wasn't specifically referring to the Roast Beef flow chart with my comment specifically...more that and the 2003 comics linked to in the OP. Any exceptional ones in between that you'd recommend? It may just not be for me, but if there are prime examples you can recommend, I'd like to peruse them.

Drez on
  • Options
    Si SenorSi Senor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can see people would find achewood humourless- boring, even. there isn't anything that has ever made me more than smile briefly in those comics, good though they are.

Si Senor on
    sigging2.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Sigh, I'm being lulled into senseless argument. Anyway, to everyone else that likes Achewood: I wasn't specifically referring to the Roast Beef flow chart with my comment specifically...more that and the 2003 comics linked to in the OP. Any exceptional ones in between that you'd recommend? It may just not be for me, but if there are prime examples you can recommend, I'd like to peruse them.

Not liking the flow chart is like watching the last episode of Arrested Development and saying it's not funny because you don't know who any of the characters are.

Also can you explain what exactly the differences is between what you did and the sports thread analogy?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Not liking the flow chart is like watching the last episode of Arrested Development and saying it's not funny because you don't know who any of the characters are.

Good point.

So, is it linear as such? I mean, I've read every Penny-Arcade comic, and to me, it's like Scrubs; your appreciation of the show benefits from your understanding of the characters' histories, but it's not necessary, and you can more or less appreciate any comic or episode just as much as at any other point.

I mean, is it like AD where you have to read and appreciate from the beginning?

Drez on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Deckard: Do you find this comic about Roastbeef having to help Ray tuck his genitals into a tube humorous?

Potential Robot: I don't really see the...

Deckard: ROBOT!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Also can you explain what exactly the differences is between what you did and the sports thread analogy?

I said that I didn't find it funny. I didn't say it wasn't funny. I'm not attacking Achewood or the people that enjoy it. I'm simply saying that I don't find it funny.

When someone says Football is stupid, he is making a blanket, insulting statement, implying that people who enjoy Football are stupid. Maybe that's not what he means if he says it, but you can't really argue that the two statements aren't tonally quite different, and "Football is stupid" really serves no purpose but to annoy. My comment wasn't meant to be annoying at all. I was just commenting.

Drez on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

Good point.

So, is it linear as such? I mean, I've read every Penny-Arcade comic, and to me, it's like Scrubs; your appreciation of the show benefits from your understanding of the characters' histories, but it's not necessary, and you can more or less appreciate any comic or episode just as much as at any other point.

I mean, is it like AD where you have to read and appreciate from the beginning?

Not necessarily for the beginning - the characters' personalities are sort of tentative until you get about forty or fifty comics in - but most of the series's humor is hugely dependent on the characters. It's no wonder you didn't find the flowchart funny, since it's more or less a roadmap of Beef's personality and if you're not familiar with Beef the chart won't hold any impact.

And I know what you mean with the football analogy. Though Achewood appreciation threads tend to function oddly well without dissent - the Official Unofficial forums are pretty much proof of this, even if the most frequent posters seem mildly tweaked.

Rust on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    stilist wrote: »
    Kusu loves the comics, and he tends to write somewhat like Beef talks. It’s not really a coincidence.

don't listen to him! I am the inspiration for Roast Beef.

Also, Drez, seriously, just leave. You're not contributing to the thread (which is about Appreciating Achewood, whereas you are Depreciating it.)

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, I'm not "depreciating" it.
    de·pre·ci·ate /dɪˈpriʃiˌeɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-pree-shee-eyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -at·ed, -at·ing.
    –verb (used with object)

1. to reduce the purchasing value of (money).
    2. to lessen the value or price of.
    3. to claim depreciation on (a property) for tax purposes.
    4. to represent as of little value or merit; belittle.

What I'm doing is discussing the appreciability of Achewood. You should be trying to win me over instead of being a dick.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This thread isn't about winning people over. It's about people who already like Achewood
    (p.s. definition 4 seems pretty accurate of what you're doing, even if it's not a direct attack)

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay, since you're not getting it Kusu, I'll be clear:

a) I'm not belittling it.
    b) I don't care what your definition of appreciate or depreciate is.
    c) I'm not leaving.

Spend your energy on something fruitful instead.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh okay, so you're a troll gotcha.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nope, not me. If anyone's trolling right now, it's you.

The thread title is "Achewood Appreciation" and the original post is, quote:
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    too many non-believers in the PBF thread want us out, now we can be free to discuss achewood and our favorite comics theirein

just to get the ball rolling

comic.php?date=01172003
    comic.php?date=01212003

Sounds to me like a discussion thread on appreciating Achewood. Which is exactly what I'm doing. The people trying to shut me up are the trolls. This is my last post addressing this nonsense. Hopefully some reasonable people will engage me in conversation about Achewood.

Drez on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

The thread is "Achewood Appreciation" and the original post is, quote:
    too many non-believers in the PBF thread want us out, now we can be free to discuss achewood and our favorite comics theirein

comic.php?date=01172003
    comic.php?date=01212003

Sounds to me like a discussion thread on appreciating Achewood. Which is exactly what I'm doing. The people trying to shut me up are the trolls. This is my last post addressing this nonsense. Hopefully some reasonable people will engage me in conversation about Achewood.
    Not necessarily for the beginning - the characters' personalities are sort of tentative until you get about forty or fifty comics in - but most of the series's humor is hugely dependent on the characters. It's no wonder you didn't find the flowchart funny, since it's more or less a roadmap of Beef's personality and if you're not familiar with Beef the chart won't hold any impact.

And I know what you mean with the football analogy. Though Achewood appreciation threads tend to function oddly well without dissent - the Official Unofficial forums are pretty much proof of this, even if the most frequent posters seem mildly tweaked.

Is it because I don't have an avatar?

It's because I don't have an avatar, isn't it?

Rust on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rust wrote: »

The thread is "Achewood Appreciation" and the original post is, quote:

comic.php?date=01172003
    comic.php?date=01212003

Is it because I don't have an avatar?

It's because I don't have an avatar, isn't it?

Sorry, I was feeding the trolls. I did see your response, Rust, and I appreciate it.

How old is Achewood, anyway?

Drez on