Options

[WAR] Thread: Stop posting huge images inline, retards

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My bloodlust for this game is reaching dangerous levels.

JRosey on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Meaning what, Mythic will do something like that or will promote stuff like that?

I'd think they'd facilitate enterprising players in making that sort of thing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    mora1mora1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    This is precisely why I find it so depressing that there are so damn many people preordering the game solely on Paul's word, rather than any actual evidence of product.

That's one of my biggest gripes about Paul. I like how excited he is about the game, but it seems a lot of the info he gives ends up getting exaggerated from all his enthusiasm. At this point I would rather just hear Adam, Jeff or Josh talk about the game because they give a more realistic and factual account of things. Paul is great for getting people excited or generating interest from new people, but I'd much hear about actual facts and mechanics from the developers.
    Niji wrote: »
    I don't understand why a game doesn't just make it so that you can't see any blazing names or nameplates over your enemy's head. Then people would be able to actually hide in bushes for a manual ambush that took planning. Having stealth classes and floating enemy names is like saying, "These are the classes who are allowed to go magically invisible, and the rest of you are not even allowed to hide using your own effort".

I hear you. I remember this had been touched on by a developer a while ago and they said names would only show up at close range. I watch some of these recent videos and I don't really see that happening though, unless "close range" isn't as close as I was imagining it.

mora1 on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Meaning what, Mythic will do something like that or will promote stuff like that?

At the very least, the WAR Herald will have the same functionality as this:
    http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml

But I would imagine there will be even more stuff, something Sony's EQplayers and WoW's Armory.

Selner on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mora1 wrote: »
    This is precisely why I find it so depressing that there are so damn many people preordering the game solely on Paul's word, rather than any actual evidence of product.

That's one of my biggest gripes about Paul. I like how excited he is about the game, but it seems a lot of the info he gives ends up getting exaggerated from all his enthusiasm. At this point I would rather just hear Adam, Jeff or Josh talk about the game because they give a more realistic and factual account of things. Paul is great for getting people excited or generating interest from new people, but I'd much hear about actual facts and mechanics from the developers.

So Paul is WAR's Peter Molyneux.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    Selner wrote: »

At the very least, the WAR Herald will have the same functionality as this:
    http://www.camelotherald.com/index.shtml

But I would imagine there will be even more stuff, something Sony's EQplayers and WoW's Armory.

Camelot? That's nowhere near Altdorf. No, no this doesn't make sense at all. What the hell mythic.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    girlgamer23girlgamer23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    I still cant believe people actually thought there wouldn't be stealth.

I imagine the developers stating several times THERE WILL BE NO STEALTH had something to do with it. besides its still in beta there is a chance they might not keep it in.

girlgamer23 on
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, Paul Barnette has said that there is a possibility that Australian servers will be available on release. WOOT! All my dicks are preparing to come should this develop into reality.

This could mean either: (a) The servers could be physically located in Australia or (b) Done in the same way WoW handled oceanic realms.

Sorry, that should read possibly Australian based servers. So here's hoping it gets done, collision detection + high ping = fail

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I heard there's some game called 'Warhammer Online' coming out soon. Thoughts?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I heard there's some game called 'Warhammer Online' coming out soon. Thoughts?

Lies and speculation, Sir. I assure you.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm hopefully getting my pre-order pack tomorrow. Will it allow me to play immediately, or do you have to wait for open beta?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm hopefully getting my pre-order pack tomorrow. Will it allow me to play immediately, or do you have to wait for open beta?

There is waiting involved.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    An ever-increasing vast expanse of waiting. The empty bleak horizon only broken by the odd tosspot spouting such lines as "Oh i really want to tell you guys something, but the NDA forbids it!".

Lly on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To be fair there's been a tonne of NDA breakage in these threads so far.

815165 on
  • Options
    VazusVazus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    To be fair there's been a tonne of NDA breakage in these threads so far.

I haven't seen anything to insane being posted. Half these threads are people asking if its come out yet and the other half is us reassuring them that they already missed the release date.

Vazus on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    haven't seen much NDA breakage here

kaleedity on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    all i want to know is if the game is driven by gear (like wow!) or by player race/class skills (i hate to say it but GW or SWG). i just don't want to have to bust my ass and play a million hours a week just live a few seconds longer.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    somewhere in between CoH (no gear lol) and WoW(gear up or you're not invited to our new party)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I broke your mom's NDA.

It doesn't seem the game will be gear driven, or at least driven by super-rare gear you can only get by devoting hours to getting it.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I broke your mom's NDA.

It doesn't seem the game will be gear driven, or at least driven by super-rare gear you can only get by devoting hours to getting it only to be thwarted week after week by a random number generator. Then, when the piece finally drops someone else gets it and the cycle begins from the beginning.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's like DAoC in terms of gear. Gear can increase your survivability and help round out your character, but all the gear in the world wont make up for not knowing what youre doing. One of the dev interviews somewhere said RvR was only like 30% gear.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i just hated being steamrolled by other people at 70 because i couldnt play as much as they did for the top gear.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    I broke your mom's NDA.

It doesn't seem the game will be gear driven, or at least driven by super-rare gear you can only get by sitting on your ass day-in and day-out waiting for a rare spawn. Then, when it spawns, it doesn't drop the loot. Days later, when it does... somebody ran up and ninja'd it from you.

Garthor on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    I broke your mom's NDA.

It doesn't seem the game will be gear driven, or at least driven by super-rare gear you can only get by sitting on your ass day-in and day-out waiting for a rare spawn. Then, when it spawns, it doesn't drop the loot. Days later, when it does... somebody ran up and ninja'd it from you.

I'd only add one thing:

Penis.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Very true.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Out of interest, have there ever been any good PC games about the world of warhammer (not the sci-fi version) that would get me a feel for the world? I am a warhammer noob and with the delays and no beta invite (fuck you mythic!) I want to get my head around who the hell all these gods and characters are without reading dodgily written books or going anywhere near tabletop stuff.

Lly on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Out of interest, have there ever been any good PC games about the world of warhammer...

Online.. craft....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

And honestly, to get a feel fore WAR lore, just watch all the WAR videos, particularly anything with Paul in it. Honestly, I kinda groaned a bit when I saw that the Warhammer game from Mythic was going to be Fantasy, not 40k... as I know nothing about fantasy Warhammer, but really have learned quite a bit just from lores here and there. I just don't know a whole lot about certain other aspects about WAR like Night Gobbos and who the hell the Dwarf king is. Hell, I only have recently heard of Karl Franz.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Back when they announced the CE, War-Europe.com had a contest to see who could find and click the hidden UGO logo the fastest. The first 10 would get a free CE, while the next 100 would get a spot in the beta.

Well, I'm one of the 100, so I guess I get a spot in the beta? But I'm already getting the pre-order DVD, which gives you access to the open beta? Is this the closed beta? Am I getting a redundant second spot for the open beta, or am I getting in instantly? Where the fuck is the mail they say they're going to send out? WHAT ARCANA ARE BEING UNEARTHED

It's a veritable miasma of misinformation, unknowing and intolerable waiting!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I know Morskittar will throw daemonic curses at me for suggesting it, but go to wikipedia. There is a good deal of outdated and inaccurate information, but if you're looking for an overwhelming amount of general information about the world, the races, the history etc. That's a good place to start.

Dawn of War is also awesome, but takes place in the 40k universe, which (while it has the same overarching themes like the concept of chaos etc.) is different from fantasy... cuz its in space.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    See, wikipedia is fine, but it's not exactly fun ... it's more like research. I'm not looking for homework :P

I guess the answer is no then.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Out of interest, have there ever been any good PC games about the world of warhammer (not the sci-fi version) that would get me a feel for the world? I am a warhammer noob and with the delays and no beta invite (fuck you mythic!) I want to get my head around who the hell all these gods and characters are without reading dodgily written books or going anywhere near tabletop stuff.

Warhammer: Dark Omen is really fucking good. Its predecessor, Shadow of the Horned Rat, is also supposed to be good, but I never played it. It's also supposed to be ridiculously hard. Dark Omen is worth getting, though.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MAY THE HORNED RAT GNAW UPON YOUR WASTED TONGUE!!!!

You should just ask me about lore stuff. I don't have time to write all the wiki pages.

Also, never play Mark of Chaos. It will crash the shit out of your machine and make you bored.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    sleepdeamonsleepdeamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here's a good video of real RvR.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h48yRo255fU

haha that guy is awsome just for picking my favorite song, infected mushrooms' Suliman

but yeah, I'm tryign to figure out why they haven't released any video's using screen capture programs rather then the crappy handy cam from a terrible angle we've been seeing

sleepdeamon on
    10552_2e7269f1a1ee28e0.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here's a good video of real RvR.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h48yRo255fU

haha that guy is awsome just for picking my favorite song, infected mushrooms' Suliman

but yeah, I'm tryign to figure out why they haven't released any video's using screen capture programs rather then the crappy handy cam from a terrible angle we've been seeing

NDA. And yeah man, once I heard that song, I went to download that fucker. I am looking around their other CDs and stuff, haven't found anything else I really liked or was similiar.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I pre-ordered through a Danish internet shop. I guess you guys haven't heard, but WAR is being released in Denmark right now :wink:. They just sent me an email confirming they just shipped WAR CE edition to my address.

Tharghor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Is it in Ballerup? Please be in Ballerup.

How much will you be paying per hour to stare at a screen that says "BETA WOT IS CLOSED"

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's coolshop, there's no info about their location, however. I have a friend who regularly buys stuff from them, so I'm not worried :).

I expect to join the closed beta for free until beta stops.
    No I don't :(

Tharghor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    More than likely they're sending you the preorder stuff, as the game hasn't been released anywhere and the CE packaging hasn't even been completely finalized yet.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It's just the pre-order DVD. They're charging full price now, and they'll ship the whole thing when it's actually released. Says so under the item, too :P

Coolshop is in Nørresundby, by the way.

Cherrn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    damn it, I must be getting blind. Was it from the same shop? Also, what's on the DVD?

Tharghor on
This discussion has been closed.