Options

Primaries: Democralypse Now!

• Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's the thing about neo-conservatism. It's stalwart stupidity, and you can't beat that. There's no claim they can't twist.

I've got some unfortunate news for you about some liberals . . .

Speaker on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    So if cities were pandered to instead of farm country, what would political pandering look like then?

benefiting a higher percentage of the population?

The number one example of disproportionate rural policy - sugar lobby. The amount of absolutely indefensible power that they hold is totally ridiculous. They fuck over the entire country, and benefit nobody but themselves. It is so fucked.

Are you actually blaming that on the electoral college?

It's not that far-fetched. I mean, I can blame the fact that there's better Coca-Cola in fucking Mexico than in the US directly on the Iowa Caucus.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, John McCain is giving a speech with new economic proposals today. Among his proposals:
    • Eliminate the federal gasoline and diesel taxes for the summer
    • Double the tax exemption for children to $7,000
    • Introduce a two-tier flat tax as an alternative option to the normal system
    • Freeze all non-military discretionary spending at current levels for his first year

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Just doubling the tax exemption for children would lower tax revenues by $2-3 billion dollars per year, if my back-of-the-envelope calculations are remotely accurate. Anyone who thought McCain might still be a fiscal conservative just got new evidence to the contrary.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "Both promise big 'change.' And a trillion dollars in new taxes over the next decade would certainly fit that description," McCain said in remarks prepared for delivery Tuesday. "All these tax increases are the fine print under the slogan of 'hope:' They're going to raise your taxes by thousands of dollars per year -- and they have the audacity to hope you don't mind."
    I don't mind.
    He also renewed his call for the United States to stop adding to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and thus lessen to some extent the worldwide demand for oil.
    Isn't oil added to that for a really damn good reason?
    Combined, he said, the two proposals would reduce gas prices, which would have a trickle-down effect and "help to spread relief across the American economy."
    Gas prices, the cause and solution to all of America's economic problems.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Duki wrote: »
    Jesus would be all what the fuck are all these women doing voting and owning property and shit.

He'd be a product of his time just like everyone else.

Imagine how out of touch would HE be.

Spending couple of millenia in heaven and all that. He'd be completely distanced from real world.

"So wait, how come you guys just don't make a wish when you want something?"

"What do you mean with "we can't fly unaided around here"?"

"Buddhism? Hinduism? Atheism? What are you talking about?"

"What is it with those big black noisy tubes you guys are carrying around, and why are you pointing them towards me?"

And since he would be speaking all that in ancient Aramaic, no one would know what the hell he was talking about.

Are you saying Jesus couldn't hit a curveball?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    McCain wrote:
    They're going to raise your taxes by thousands of dollars per year -- and they have the audacity to hope you don't mind.

That's a pretty catchy line.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As far as gas prices go, when the gas goes up, everything else goes up too. High gas prices are not the cause of all our economic problems, but they can and do contribute to an increasing cost of living as well as possibly affecting inflation. Working at Costco, I can see how prices for everything jumped about 0.50 per item over the last few weeks. If that keeps climbing, and if gas prices continue to go up, the economy will certainly slow down because a loaf of bread being $5.00 certainly hurts people, especially when they're feeding a family.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think a popular-vote system would necessarily mean exclusively urban campaigning. To be sure, there will be plenty, but the focus will be cities and media markets with plenty of people that a candidate can reasonably swing.

You see what we're going through with the primaries? Multiply it by 50 and that's what a general will look like. It's not so much Philly that would be a battleground so much as the Philly suburbs. Milwaukee would barely be worth it save for Democratic fundraising, but Green Bay will be visited often. Northern Virginia and Southern Virginia would be eschewed in favor of Central Virginia.

Remember that most of your massive cities are Democratic strongholds. Micropolitan areas- 10K to 50K (including my 23K city)- are Republican strongholds. It's the cities in between that are going to get the media bombardment. 75K-100K is what I'd figure to be the big target. Think of cities in that range, and that's where the money is going.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    So, John McCain is giving a speech with new economic proposals today. Among his proposals:
    • Freeze all non-military discretionary spending at current levels for his first year

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Just doubling the tax exemption for children would lower tax revenues by $2-3 billion per year, if my back-of-the-envelope calculations are remotely accurate. Anyone who thought McCain might still be a fiscal conservative just got new evidence to the contrary.

Yeah, so my back-of-the-envelope calculation? Way off. The Wall Street Journal reports the McCain campaign saying that doubling the child exemption amount would cost the federal government $65 billion per year.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone who thought McCain might still be a fiscal conservative just got new evidence to the contrary.
    I thought cutting taxes was a fiscal conservative thing too? It's when he doesn't reduce spending (or at least reduce the inevitable increase) you can nail him.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    Anyone who thought McCain might still be a fiscal conservative just got new evidence to the contrary.
    I thought cutting taxes was a fiscal conservative thing too? It's when he doesn't reduce spending (or at least reduce the inevitable increase) you can nail him.

Point taken. It's really the conjunction of offering $100 billion in new tax cuts while continuing an expensive war and bailing out the student loan and mortgage industries that establishes McCain as fiscally unwise.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The tax cutting I'm not so surprised about, but if McCain actually reduced spending, I'd be floored.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Just doubling the tax exemption for children would lower tax revenues by $2-3 billion per year, if my back-of-the-envelope calculations are remotely accurate. Anyone who thought McCain might still be a fiscal conservative just got new evidence to the contrary.

Yeah, so my back-of-the-envelope calculation? Way off. The Wall Street Journal reports the McCain campaign saying that doubling the child exemption amount would cost the federal government $65 billion per year.

Either that or they'll just fuck people who don't have kids even worse.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    As far as gas prices go, when the gas goes up, everything else goes up too. High gas prices are not the cause of all our economic problems, but they can and do contribute to an increasing cost of living as well as possibly affecting inflation. Working at Costco, I can see how prices for everything jumped about 0.50 per item over the last few weeks. If that keeps climbing, and if gas prices continue to go up, the economy will certainly slow down because a loaf of bread being $5.00 certainly hurts people, especially when they're feeding a family.
    There was a blurb on the BBC last night about a new study showing that food prices have doubled globally over the last three years. Some of it comes from the semi-collapse of several world economies, but the biggest factors have been rising oil prices and the great shift in priority amongst grain farmers due to the rising value of corn for ethanol.

Auto fuel is literally threatening human survival.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    So if cities were pandered to instead of farm country, what would political pandering look like then?

The number one example of disproportionate rural policy - sugar lobby. The amount of absolutely indefensible power that they hold is totally ridiculous. They fuck over the entire country, and benefit nobody but themselves. It is so fucked.

It's not that far-fetched. I mean, I can blame the fact that there's better Coca-Cola in fucking Mexico than in the US directly on the Iowa Caucus.

You could, but I think you'd be mistaken.

That proposition depends entirely on the assumptions that:
    1. The President is deeply involved in the setting of agricultural policy as opposed to Congress.
    2. Newly elected Presidents are terrified of being challenged from within their own party and losing the Iowa Caucus when they run for re-election.

I don't think either of those really holds up in a bulletproof way.

Speaker on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »
    There was a blurb on the BBC last night about a new study showing that food prices have doubled globally over the last three years. Some of it comes from the semi-collapse of several world economies, but the biggest factors have been rising oil prices and the great shift in priority amongst grain farmers due to the rising value of corn for ethanol.

Corn ethanol is seriously the worst thing ever.

Cutting the gas tax like that is retarded. We need people to stop using that shit, and pricing them out of it is the best way to do it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

Corn ethanol is seriously the worst thing ever.

Cutting the gas tax like that is retarded. We need people to stop using that shit, and pricing them out of it is the best way to do it.

It's all bio-fuel really. I was studying it to see if I wanted to recommend that our town vehicles move to B-20 and it really is not the way to go - unless they start making it from algae or something.

I mean, the latest articles have the farmland used to cultivate the fuel crops emitting levels of nitrous oxide that totally cancel out any reduction in carbon dioxide in terms of global warming.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

You could, but I think you'd be mistaken.

That proposition depends entirely on the assumptions that:
    1. The President is deeply involved in the setting of agricultural policy as opposed to Congress.
    2. Newly elected Presidents are terrified of being challenged from within their own party and losing the Iowa Caucus when they run for re-election.

I don't think either of those really holds up in a bulletproof way.
    Do you really think Congress has no vested interest in Iowa? They may not be presidential candidates themselves, but they're still beholden to their respective parties and, more importantly, heavily lobbied by the corn industry.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Not really. but it certainly plays into pandering to rural farmers.

Sugar and corn. fuck them.

like do you understand how fucked up this shit is? christ.

The dead-weight-loss that our sugar lobby causes is like 400 million a year. its beyond stupid. and thats not even taking into account the health effects and the corresponding increase in corn usage that fucks so much shit up.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Do you really think Congress has no vested interest in Iowa? They may not be presidential candidates themselves, but they're still beholden to their respective parties and, more importantly, heavily lobbied by the corn industry.

No, that I agree with.

Of course, it has nothing to do with the Iowa Caucus - which was your original point I think.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Not really. but it certainly plays into pandering to rural farmers.

Sugar and corn. fuck them.

like do you understand how fucked up this shit is? christ.

The dead-weight-loss that our sugar lobby causes is like 400 million a year. its beyond stupid. and thats not even taking into account the health effects and the corresponding increase in corn usage that fucks so much shit up.

Seriously. Corn syrup (and its makers/sellers) is a huge problem in the US. In fact, between the massive retarded favoritism and subsidy for the farmers, the equally retarded resulting sugar tariffs, and the money we spend fighting obesity and disease largely caused by HFCS, I'd wager it's one of the largest economic drains on our nation.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I kind of disagree with the idea that if the EC were scrapped rural people would be neglected.

Last time I checked over the last seven election cycles Republicans and their rural vote have won the popular vote four times and only missed it in 2000 by a tiny margin. The idea that running a campaign that prioritizes rural voters does not seem to be some kind of losing strategy to me, even if we were to scrap the EC.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I know.

My micro professor used to bitch about it non-stop.

Speaker on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

No, that I agree with.

Of course, it has nothing to do with the Iowa Caucus - which was your original point I think.

You don't think the political strength of the corn lobby is in any way what so ever associated with Iowa having a first in the nation caucus that the media has coronated as the alpha, with New Hampshire being the omega? Particularly given that 100 members of Congress are at varying stages of running for President at any one time.

moniker on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    McCain wrote:
    They're going to raise your taxes by thousands of dollars per year -- and they have the audacity to hope you don't mind.

:lol:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »

No, that I agree with.

You don't think the political strength of the corn lobby is in any way what so ever associated with Iowa having a first in the nation caucus that the media has coronated as the alpha, with New Hampshire being the omega? Particularly given that 100 members of Congress are at varying stages of running for President at any one time.

Not really.

I mean, if a powerful lobby is what gets a state an early date on the primary calendar then how does NH hang on? We've got no lobby whatsoever. Christ, our state only gets back something like $.68 on every dollar we pay in taxes to Washington.

So I'd reject the idea that the primary calendar and the power of in-state lobbies are linked.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

No, that I agree with.

Not my point originally, but certainly something I agree with, and yeah I sort of lost my train of thought in the middle of that post. I'm not saying it's the Caucus per se that's the root cause, but it's certainly one of the symptoms and one of the big excuses for continuing to pander to corn and, by extension, Iowa.

Any single politician would be insane to speak out against the power of the farm lobby currently, because the rural areas controlled by the lobby happen to include a politically important stronghold (again, the punishment would be doled out to the outcrier's entire party). If the system were to take that power away from Iowa, we could see some semblance of sanity return to our farm policy and that much more stability in our markets and those of our trade partners. Just imagine - we'd be actually be importing sugar from countries that grow it, rather than economically forcing our citizens to eat dangerously unhealthy crap that we happen to grow ourselves.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

No, that I agree with.

Not my point originally, but certainly something I agree with, and yeah I sort of lost my train of thought in the middle of that post. I'm not saying it's the Caucus per se that's the root cause, but it's certainly one of the symptoms and one of the big excuses for continuing to pander to corn and, by extension, Iowa.

Any single politician would be insane to speak out against the power of the farm lobby currently, because the rural areas controlled by the lobby happen to include a politically important stronghold (again, the punishment would be doled out to the outcrier's entire party). If the system were to take that power away from Iowa, we could see some semblance of sanity return to our farm policy and that much more stability in our markets and those of our trade partners. Just imagine - we'd be actually be importing sugar from countries that grow it, rather than economically forcing our citizens to eat dangerously unhealthy crap that we happen to grow ourselves.

So you are arguing that the President makes decisions based on worrying about being re-nominated by his party? And then presumably after his re-election . . . ?

Look, I really think you need to drop the idea that the Iowa Caucus has a lot to do with anything. The farm lobby is powerful, and that generally explains pretty much everything. The Iowa Caucus doesn't have a lot to do with it, and changing it won't really have any effect. It's just a kind of phony argument that people who want to change the primary system can aggregate the support of people who care about the environment.

Speaker on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

No, that I agree with.

Not really.

I mean, if a powerful lobby is what gets a state an early date on the primary calendar then how does NH hang on? We've got no lobby whatsoever. Christ, our state only gets back something like $.68 on every dollar we pay in taxes to Washington.

So I'd reject the idea that the primary calendar and the power of in-state lobbies are linked.

New Hampshire gets it because of the state legislature wanting to support election cottage industries. Plus, isn't it part of your Constitution?

And the President may not be concerned with running a primary for his second term, but I'd wager that he is a bit worried about his Veep's prospects 8 years down the line and the continuation of his legacy. Winning Iowa has some import there, and that involves fellating farmers with subsidies. As well as his party's chances in the legislature, which the national party would be concerned about. How many Presidents tend to tell the DNC/RNC to go fuck themselves?

moniker on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    McCain wrote:

:lol:

I meet that income level?

I HAD NO IDEA!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Finally heard McCain's response to Obama's "bitter" comments. It sounded worst than the sloppiest blowjob I've ever heard.

It's like he lined up middle America and made like a circus seal.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    New Hampshire gets it because of the state legislature wanting to support election cottage industries. Plus, isn't it part of your Constitution?

Why is this a sufficient explanation of NH but not IA? After all, more campaign money is spent in IA than NH.
    And the President may not be concerned with running a primary for his second term, but I'd wager that he is a bit worried about his Veep's prospects 8 years down the line and the continuation of his legacy.

Yes, I can see that Richard Nixon was terribly concerned for Gerald Ford, that Reagan pulled out his hair with anxiety for the future of H.W. Bush, that Clinton set many policies with a thought for Al Gore and that W. Bush is planning a surprise announcement concerning Cheney.

In short, that is weaksauce sir. Occam's Razor favors the simple explanation of a powerful farm lobby.

Let's be realistic. Energy and it's cost has been a major concern for two Presidents - Carter, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. During Clinton's presidency gas prices bottomed out at 89 cents per gallon. It wasn't a big deal for him. It wasn't all that important for Reagan either once the OPEC embargo ended. Bush Sr. ended his problems with a war, then got voted out because of the economy.

Bush Jr. is the only President in recent memory for whom ethanol has been an issue - and of course he's on the side of the industry lobby. That's what his administration is all about. It isn't from any concerns over Iowa either.

Speaker on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.charlotte.com/171/story/581394.html
    "What I believe Geraldine Ferraro meant is that if you take a freshman senator from Illinois called `Jerry Smith' and he says I'm going to run for president, would he start off with 90 percent of the black vote?" Johnson said. "And the answer is, probably not... ."

Because you know what we all remember? From the starting line, Obama had all that black vote. Yep.

Remember kids, if you try hard enough, you can move goal posts that have already happened, and change statistics that were already taken. Honestly, at what point did Obama start this race ahead in any demographic? Clinton was by all measures going to win until people started, you know, Voting.

kildy on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So here's a question my brother asked me. What does Obama stand for? I mean, so far his campaign seems to have great momentum thanks only to the strength of his speeches and charisma. What are his policies? Where does he stand on the war, the economy, healthcare and social security? What does he plan to do about them?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    $400 million is just the tip of the iceberg. Start throwing in all of the negative externalities that go with a corn-based economy, and you're easilyt into billions, and almost certainly into tens of billions, if not hundreds of billions.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bar has been reset. *sigh*
    “If he fails to win [in Pennsylvania], despite outspending us massively, it will be another sign he is unable to win the large states a candidate needs to win,” Wolfson said, making sure the bar stays high for the Keystone state. He also said an Obama loss there would be evidence he is “unable to close the deal” and that it would be a “clear indication” that he has not passed the Commander-In-Chief and “steward of the economy” tests.

“If he fails to win in Pennsylvania, it would be a significant defeat for him,” Wolfson emphasized.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I mean, the latest articles have the farmland used to cultivate the fuel crops emitting levels of nitrous oxide that totally cancel out any reduction in carbon dioxide in terms of global warming.
    Is that just for corn, or is it for higher-density fuel crops, like sugar and wheatgrass, too?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    So here's a question my brother asked me. What does Obama stand for? I mean, so far his campaign seems to have great momentum thanks only to the strength of his speeches and charisma. What are his policies? Where does he stand on the war, the economy, healthcare and social security? What does he plan to do about them?

Are you asking as in you want information or is that rhetorical?

Speaker on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What sold me is he's been talking real, active steps to make our government more open and accountable. This combined with his policy of employing and hiring advisers who disagree with him and he has my vote.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Are you asking as in you want information or is that rhetorical?
    I'm asking because I'd like information. Since my brother asked, I've been curious about it myself.

My bro was asking rhetorically to make a point, that there's little substance to Obama once you look beyond the charismatic speeches.

Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.