Options

Primaries: Democralypse Now!

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    So if cities were pandered to instead of farm country, what would political pandering look like then?

I don't think it'd be that much different than it is now. What'd change is that more cities would be pandered to by the Democratic Party (including those smack in the middle of red states...hello, Austin!) and rural and suburban voters in traditionally blue states would get some attention from the Republicans, like upstate New York and parts of California.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    All they'll have to say is what they're looking for and how it could be prosecuted as high treason.

I dunno. It just seems to me everyone already expects an inquiry no matter who is president. I'm sure McCain is gonna get pressed for it as well. A Dem president should just be more amicable about it. Hillary's another case though since it gives her more firepower to blame Bush about the economy, international state of affairs etc. after the last time she was in the White House...doing big important things...like getting cheated on...by some guy who was president...sticking cigars in people...

Hembot on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "grassroots" campaigns start in cities with population 1,000,000+

Hembot on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Trim quote trees please?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So if cities were pandered to instead of farm country, what would political pandering look like then?

I don't think it's pandering to give cities proportional say.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Power of the LS invite Bri...power of the LS invite....

Hembot on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hembot wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Wouldn't going to Popular Vote only ensure that candidates only focus on and pander to major population centers? Won't Rural America get screwed?

Well, ideally, yeah.

It'd be one more incentive to get them to move to major population centers.

Funny thing is that your voice gets smaller in the "local area" of large population centers. In a village you have more local say....so the only reason you'd move would be so you could be advertised to?

I think the internet has gone a long way in making the popular vote a more viable option. You can still be in a rural town but be active politically.

The current paradigm of rural votes being weighted so heavily isn't so excellent, as I see it. It gives us situations like farm lobbies and rural areas being politically extremely (and disproportionately) powerful.

While I agree with you in part, I worry about the effect of such a dramatic shift of power all the same. It's too easy for those in large cities to write off the needs of rural communities on the basis that they're all uneducated hicks.

Frankly, I don't trust people period, and while I dislike the Electoral College, Popular Vote seems only a minor improvement, if at all, as it puts even more power into the hands of the majority.

Houn on
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So coincidentally, a blogger over at Kos works for the Philadelphia Daily News and was in on the editorial board meeting that the candidates do with all these papers, he asked if an Obama Administration would prosecute the Bush White House for torture and whatever else:
    What I would want to do is to have my Justice Department and my Attorney General immediately review the information that's already there and to find out are there inquiries that need to be pursued. I can't prejudge that because we don't have access to all the material right now. I think that you are right, if crimes have been committed, they should be investigated. You're also right that I would not want my first term consumed by what was perceived on the part of Republicans as a partisan witch hunt because I think we've got too many problems we've got to solve.

So this is an area where I would want to exercise judgment -- I would want to find out directly from my Attorney General -- having pursued, having looked at what's out there right now -- are there possibilities of genuine crimes as opposed to really bad policies. And I think it's important-- one of the things we've got to figure out in our political culture generally is distinguishing betyween really dumb policies and policies that rise to the level of criminal activity. You know, I often get questions about impeachment at town hall meetings and I've said that is not something I think would be fruitful to pursue because I think that impeachment is something that should be reserved for exceptional circumstances. Now, if I found out that there were high officials who knowingly, consciously broke existing laws, engaged in coverups of those crimes with knowledge forefront, then I think a basic principle of our Constitution is nobody above the law -- and I think that's roughly how I would look at it.

That's about the right answer politically.

I, personally, think Obama should also start talking about treason charges after he gets into office to put the fear into the GOP. Hell, I wish that Ford had ended the imbroglio by having Nixon shot rather than pardoning him.

Bah. The democractic congress will do that for him. If anything they're going to be the loudest so they can pressure him for snippets of top secret info they can use to burn as many members of the GOP as possible. Obama shouldn't go back on his word and that's change. A witch hunt isn't change. That's what we did in Iraq right? I think his answer while political aligns closely with his overall message and why I like him.

I'm not saying to actually bring the charges against Bush, just release a few legal opinion memos to scare the truth out of everybody.

The standard for treason is exceedingly narrow and exceedingly high in this country for a reason. I hope never to live to see the precedent you want established.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    zakkiel wrote: »
    The standard for treason is exceedingly narrow and exceedingly high in this country for a reason. I hope never to live to see the precedent you want established.

MrMister on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I wouldn't charge him with treason, and I loathe the man. There's a difference between what he did and treason. Now war crimes...

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I wouldn't charge him with treason, and I loathe the man. There's a difference between what he did and treason. Now crimes against humanity...
    Fix'd.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    It isn't the Dean and the supers are gutless.

It's that the party chairman and the supers acting before the voting is over has the same potentially damaging reprocussions for the party as giving the nomination to Hillary after Obama won the popular vote and delegate race.

Agreed. At least in the case of Dean, he's really in a hard place right now. He could end this all tomorrow, and alienate all the people in the remaining states that are actually excited to have a voice in their party's primary, or he can wait, and let Hillary further divide the party over the next two months.

The regular supers can go fuck themselves though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    The Clinton campaign releases a new PA commercial, targeting Obama's "clingy" comments.

The commercial has all the sophistication and subtlety of a SwiftKids ad.

No, really, I mean it. Go watch it for yourselves. But don't blame me when you gouge out your eyes in response.

I don't know how you can argue with that ad. The common folk are clearly outraged at Obama's comments.

"My plump and unattractive wife and I are frustrated, disappointed and have a long-term sense of unease because we were called bitter."

Hillary Clinton has been fighting for Pennsylvania her whole life, you guys. She came out of the womb fighting for Pennsylvania.

Yep. We sure do see alot of good old Mrs. C! Always brings cookies and little Barack is a crook stickers for the kids.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ........communism barbs? Wait, seriously?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Harrier wrote: »

God, Joe. Just slap that fucking (R) next to your name. You know you want to.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Just when I think there isn't a more infuriating Democrat than Hillary Clinton, Tailgunner Joe 2.0 steps up to remind me of the dangers of excessive hyperbole.

Spreading Bill Kristol's smears? He can fuck off and die for that. He can fuck off and die!

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So he's now a Muslim Manchrurian candidate, a dangerous black radical, and now.....a communist. How do they keep track of all of their spin?

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Best part is! Obama naively defended him against the anti-war left at least during his primary against Ned Lamont, one of the few things I don't like about Obama.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    So he's now a Muslim Manchrurian candidate, a dangerous black radical, and now.....a communist. How do they keep track of all of their spin?

I also hear he's a Tory.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

I also hear he's a Tory.

He's going to pop out of a wooden horse at the inauguration.

Hembot on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

I also hear he's a Tory.

He's going to pop out of a wooden horse at the inauguration.

He's sympathetic to Moses and the uprisings he's inciting.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Just when I think there isn't a more infuriating Democrat than Hillary Clinton, Tailgunner Joe 2.0 steps up to remind me of the dangers of excessive hyperbole.

Spreading Bill Kristol's smears? He can fuck off and die for that. He can fuck off and die!

If it makes you feel better I cut off a friend tonight because she couldn't seem to understand that we've broken international law by torturing people. Or how horrendously bad that is. She actually hit me with talking points. I think I've finally pinned down the exact state of mind of the rank and file GOP dead enders. She reminded me of my father- a horrid blend of incuriousness, blind faith ("I'm sure it's saved thousands of lives") a ruthlessly juvenile sense of right and wrong ("But they cut peoples fucking heads off!"), and a hopelessly undeserving sense of entitlement and infallibility. She actually said "I don't have to defend or explain my position because I'm an American, this is the greatest country on earth and if you don't like it here you can leave." This is from a bright, sweet 21 year old girl. It simply boggles my mind and makes me sick to my stomach in equal measure. How can people feel this way. It's so absurdly petulant and stupid.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

If it makes you feel better I cut off a friend tonight because she couldn't seem to understand that we've broken international law by torturing people. Or how horrendously bad that is. She actually hit me with talking points. I think I've finally pinned down the exact state of mind of the rank and file GOP dead enders. She reminded me of my father- a horrid blend of incuriousness, blind faith ("I'm sure it's saved thousands of lives") a ruthlessly juvenile sense of right and wrong ("But they cut peoples fucking heads off!"), and a hopelessly undeserving sense of entitlement and infallibility. She actually said "I don't have to defend or explain my position because I'm an American, this is the greatest country on earth and if you don't like it here you can leave." This is from a bright, sweet 21 year old girl. It simply boggles my mind and makes me sick to my stomach in equal measure. How can people feel this way. It's so absurdly petulant and stupid.
    That's the kind of bullshit you have to be deprogrammed out of.

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That's the kind of bullshit you have to be deprogrammed out of.

I think she might be a lost cause at this point. She's commuting to school now (her sheltered life fucked her up going away) so she very likely doesn't get any outside sources of information that aren't filled with rancid bias. The thing is she isn't dumb, she just refused to address my arguments. Dead cold. She actually said that she wouldn't change her positions for any amount of hard evidence to the contrary. I even hit her with the Christian angle. That set her off. There's nothing like an telling a christian that Jesus would be ashamed of them. I like Jesus. He brings teh blue sparkz.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Deprogrammed or beaten out of you.

Jesus-shame is always a move sure to bring down the house.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Here Harr. Feel better as MissLaura rips into Joe, thank god for the Kossacks:

EDIT: OMG LOOK AT THE FIRST COMMENT! HAHAHAHAHAHA

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow, David Brock, you go boy.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I truly believe that Joe Lieberman is not a republican simply because he is Jewish and from New England. Seriously, if he were to go the the republican party full-time, I think he would be kicked out of synagogue and he couldn't find another one to go to for at least a two-hundred mile radius.

That, and Al Franken put it very eloquently, "Jews cannot afford to tolerate a party that does not support civil rights"

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    deowolf wrote: »
    Deprogrammed or beaten out of you.

Jesus-shame is always a move sure to bring down the house.

I thoroughly enjoy how if Jesus really does exist, it'll be hypocritical "values voters" and their ilk that he'll be most pissed off at. How deliciously ironic. On that note, I'm going to bed and the Hagee's and Fallwell's of the world can go choke on the Devil's Spiked Dick(TM) in hell.

Gentlemen, a pleasure as always, good evening.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh shit yes, Jesus would be a progressive if he were alive today. And Rush Limbaugh would call him a dirty hippie.

Harrier on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh shit yes, Jesus would be a progressive if he were alive today. And Rush Limbaugh would call him a dirty hippie.

With delusions of grandeur.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Guys, hippie is out as an insult, it'd be Jesus is an Elitist.

All saying who can go to heaven and what not.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jesus would be all what the fuck are all these women doing voting and owning property and shit.

He'd be a product of his time just like everyone else.

Duki on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Was anyone voting when Jesus was alive?

Hoz on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's the thing about neo-conservatism. It's stalwart stupidity, and you can't beat that. There's no claim they can't twist.

Jesus was about love and peace? Sure, for the righteous, but our enemies aren't righteous, and Jesus spoke about punishment, so we're doing God's work.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Duki wrote: »
    Jesus would be all what the fuck are all these women doing voting and owning property and shit.

He'd be a product of his time just like everyone else.

Imagine how out of touch would HE be.

Spending couple of millenia in heaven and all that. He'd be completely distanced from real world.

"So wait, how come you guys just don't make a wish when you want something?"

"What do you mean with "we can't fly unaided around here"?"

"Buddhism? Hinduism? Atheism? What are you talking about?"

"What is it with those big black noisy tubes you guys are carrying around, and why are you pointing them towards me?"

And since he would be speaking all that in ancient Aramaic, no one would know what the hell he was talking about.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    There's no claim they can't twist.

Jesus was about love and peace? Sure, for the righteous, but our enemies aren't righteous, and Jesus spoke about punishment, so we're doing God's work.

I assume your positing that as an absurd interpretation, however, it was also the received interpretation of the Papacy for the thousand something years that it was the highest Christian authority.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    While true the Papacy was far more a political organization than a spiritual one.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

benefiting a higher percentage of the population?

The number one example of disproportionate rural policy - sugar lobby. The amount of absolutely indefensible power that they hold is totally ridiculous. They fuck over the entire country, and benefit nobody but themselves. It is so fucked.

Are you actually blaming that on the electoral college?

Speaker on
This discussion has been closed.