As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EvE General Discussion

• Options
    Akston CubaAkston Cuba Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    god forbid.

Akston Cuba on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    way to make an entry
    way to make an entry

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can I guess from context that it was talldick.jpg?

I have seen the horrors of the internet

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    nah, we're not from the internet.

Akston Cuba on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    To put it bluntly, you're never getting in.

Want in GS that badly? Go get a SA account, maek post in a variety of ways/boards for 3-4 months then try your luck with GoonFleet.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Damn, no kidding?

I had such a good buzz going, too

Akston Cuba on
  • Options
    blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i'll sponsor you into goonfleet for... fuck it, :effort:

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    idi na huy, tovarish

Akston Cuba on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    This page represents why the EVE thread will soon go away for a long time unless it shapes up.

Echo on
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero
    desperately tries to pull it back on track because hes actually new and not just trying to abuse the forum

So I just opened up an account for the first time, Other than jamming through skills and stuff right away is there any recommendations on what a post tutorial newbie can/should be up to in Eve? What about Factional Warfare? Is that still fun times?

I assume 0.0 is suicide for someone early on like this right?

Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    desperately tries to pull it back on track because hes actually new and not just trying to abuse the forum

So I just opened up an account for the first time, Other than jamming through skills and stuff right away is there any recommendations on what a post tutorial newbie can/should be up to in Eve? What about Factional Warfare? Is that still fun times?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Join Merch as noted in the recruit thread in the main Games forum. 0.0 is NOT suicide and we regularly throw newbies into the meatgrinder as one of the most useful people. There are some pretty good newbie tutorials to get you up to speed once you're in merch. Especially in 0.0 and how to live out in 0.0. And fleet combat.

You'll die. A Lot. But people here are also very rich, so you won't lack for money or ships to get blown up until you can afford to fly your own expensive ships.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ToyD wrote: »
    Join Merch as noted in the recruit thread in the main Games forum. 0.0 is NOT suicide and we regularly throw newbies into the meatgrinder as one of the most useful people. There are some pretty good newbie tutorials to get you up to speed once you're in merch. Especially in 0.0 and how to live out in 0.0. And fleet combat.

You'll die. A Lot. But people here are also very rich, so you won't lack for money or ships to get blown up until you can afford to fly your own expensive ships.

Merch is handled as a pirate corp right? Or do they do other stuff too?

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    ToyD wrote: »

Merch is handled as a pirate corp right? Or do they do other stuff too?

We are a corporation inside of GoonSwarm, so our members can do about anything they want.

Ethea on
  • Options
    TrastTrast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    /me desperately tries to pull it back on track because hes actually new and not just trying to abuse the forum

0.0 isn't suicide. However as a good newbie you'll be expected to hurl yourself at the enemy until your corpses clog their guns up. How will you afford this? Merch is full of friendly and helpful veterans who are quite willing to help you out. When I was still playing and started with Merch there was almost always someone willing to let me follow them and salvage up their wrecks so I could build up a bank account. Just be willing to return the favor by tackling, mining, or shooting whatever your Merch overlords ask for.....you filthy spy.

Trast on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, 0.0 is pretty much the "sandbox" of the game. It's as safe, and sometimes safer, as anywhere else, as long as you know what you're doing. And as a newbie, fleet fights are pretty awesome, because honestly, it doesn't matter if you die or lose your ship. Your shit costs less than the ammo your enemies are firing at you, and it gets cranked out by the thousands. Die -> get ship for free -> die -> repeat

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And sometimes, your cheap cannon fodder ship will be the only thing that lets the big boys get kills. Including the most expensive ships in the game if you get a lucky bump/decloak (hi, Hrin).

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So how many people actually have the biggest, baddest ships available? And what do people that command that sort of fire power do with their big awesome ships?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So how many people actually have the biggest, baddest ships available? And what do people that command that sort of fire power do with their big awesome ships?

Well I guess the "biggest, baddest" ship in the game is a titan. They used to be extremely rare, but I'm pretty sure that there are over 100 titans in space now. Although with all the action over the last few months that number might have dropped. Shrike loses them all the time.
    Below that is the Motherships (Mom), carriers, and dreadnoughts. They are common. Moms and Carriers are pretty much logistics ships, dreads are used for pos sieging and wiping out carriers/moms. What's important to note is that none of these ships are good for solo work (unless you are playing station games). If you are fighting with capitals, it is usually in a large fleet.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So assuming I ever manage to get one of those 'job' things so I can get money to be able to spy on you lot, just how ridiculous is my personal goal of constructing my own titan? (piloting vaguely optional)

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    So assuming I ever manage to get one of those 'job' things so I can get money to be able to spy on you lot, just how ridiculous is my personal goal of constructing my own titan? (piloting vaguely optional)

From what I've heard, if we gathered every scrap of everything that MerchI owned, we might be able to buy one for ourselves. And god knows we need a Space-Wang for our mining ops.

In other news, I welp'd myself and lost my latest Hurricane, Invincible IV. After insurance paid me, I was out about 15 million with rigs and mods - I'm still on T1 mostly. Note to C3N merchants - put up some T1 425mm cannons, damnit.

Now I have Invicible V and am back to ratting. Gonna be more vigilant with those local folk, however. Stupid Vagabond.

Moar like Fagabond, amirite?

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    EQDuffy wrote: »
    And sometimes, your cheap cannon fodder ship will be the only thing that lets the big boys get kills. Including the most expensive ships in the game if you get a lucky bump/decloak (hi, Hrin).

s'up

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apogee wrote: »

From what I've heard, if we gathered every scrap of everything that MerchI owned, we might be able to buy one for ourselves. And god knows we need a Space-Wang for our mining ops.
    You realize what you've done here, right? You've just given me more incentive to go for this. Now I need to go find a job and/or mug some hobos so I can start skilling up to be able to build MineWang I.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apogee wrote: »

You realize what you've done here, right? You've just given me more incentive to go for this. Now I need to go find a job and/or mug some hobos so I can start skilling up to be able to build MineWang I.

roughly you need 40b for the hull of a titan. Than you will need to officer fit it and drop some nice nomad implants. I would expect the total cost to around 55b - 60b once all is said and done, maybe even more if you go crazy with officer items.

In the large scheme of things it is not a massive amount of money for corporations or alliances to have, but for a single individual it will require a large amount of hard work, or a really good ponzi scheme. For example eve bank is running over 3 trillion isk which places it firmly as the best ponzi scheme on the block.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Base mineral cost of a titan is somewhere around 45b; but then you have to factor in having the bpo (60b) or bpc (9-10b lowball) to build it with, a CSAA to build it in (1b), then you have to fit the motherfucker like a pimp when it does come out of the cooker. It's not unheard of for titans to be worth (hull + fittings) over 100b isk. On the upside, insurance pays out ~20b!

You also have to keep in mind that like motherships, once you set foot in a titan, you likely aren't stepping out of it unless your titan gets destroyed. Some people have alt 'holding' accounts to board titans so the other character can do other things occasionally (get implants, etc), but that's pretty uncommon. On top of all of that, titans are usually an alliance asset, not a personal one, so as soon as you log on, you are going to be bothered as fuck to jumpbridge fleets, doomsday roaming t1 cruiser gangs, and other things. Titans represent the very end-game of ships, and to be honest, it's very common once someone gets one, to rarely log in ever again. After all, a lot of people think "i've done everything, and now im trapped inside a ship everyone and their dog wants to kill."

That's my take on it, if i'm wrong about anything, correct me, but I'd rather not have one. I'll stick to flying and losing carriers like rifters.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Base mineral cost of a titan is somewhere around 45b; but then you have to factor in having the bpo (60b) or bpc (9-10b lowball) to build it with, a CSAA to build it in (1b), then you have to fit the motherfucker like a pimp when it does come out of the cooker. It's not unheard of for titans to be worth (hull + fittings) over 100b isk. On the upside, insurance pays out ~20b!

Can a titan fit mining lasers? :winky:

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes it can, there is actually an avatar flown by notorious pubbie chribba that does nothing but mine veld in lowsec.

There you go, that should be able to tank most spawns allowing you to mine in peace!

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes it can, there is actually an avatar flown by notorious pubbie chribba that does nothing but mine veld in lowsec.

There you go, that should be able to tank most spawns allowing you to mine in peace!

HAAAATE.jpg

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    KorebanKoreban Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, we destroyed most of Kenny's dreadnaught fleet this weekend. Our new love has been for dickstars which are Caldari Large POS fitted with tons of resistance and ECM modules, and no guns. It would take two dozen dreads multiple siege cycles to reinforce the tower, battleship fleets, hours. That being said, there's nothing like taunting the enemy while making them go through the soul destroying effort of reinforcing one of our towers since they don't have a dread fleet that they can deploy right now...

picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=3917

Koreban on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dickstars are the most awesome use of manpower ever invented. One goon hour = hundreds of man hours to undo.

Dac on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dac wrote: »

http://will.neoprimitive.net/ohgod/fittings/Avatar%20-%20Mining.jpg

HAAAATE.jpg
    With a reply like this, I might actually do this, should my titanic dream come true.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dac wrote: »

http://will.neoprimitive.net/ohgod/fittings/Avatar%20-%20Mining.jpg

HAAAATE.jpg
    With a reply like this, I might actually do this, should my titanic dream come true.

Split your lungs with blood and thunder!

Koreban on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Koreban wrote: »
    It would take two dozen dreads multiple siege cycles to reinforce the tower, battleship fleets, hours.

Reinforce = Destroy???(?)

Assuming the POS just jam the silly things trying to blown them up?

How much does a POS like that cost you guys? What is its use?

Aaaaand as an aside - a titan costing 60 billion is easily afforded in exchange for about Plexes. Each one is 600mil. An (American) Billion is a thousand million. =>

100 plexes sold = 1 titan = £150 ish?

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think one of the things that confused me most in starting this shit is that I thought "reinforce a tower" was helping it in some way.

Dac on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    It would take two dozen dreads multiple siege cycles to reinforce the tower, battleship fleets, hours.

Aaaaand as an aside - a titan costing 60 billion is easily afforded in exchange for about Plexes. Each one is 600mil. An (American) Billion is a thousand million. =>

err your math is a bit off. Each timecard is $35us a 100 of them would be $3500.

a fitted large pos is about 500m. Pos decide who has control over a system, whoever has the most large pos has sov in that system.
    when you attack a pos you first put it into reinforced when it receives armor dmg. this happens around 25% shields. the pos than become invulnerable and untargetable while it burns a special fuel called stront. this can last up to about 2d6h or so. when it runs out of stront it exits reinfoirced mode and can be destroyed. so when your pos come under attack you adjust the stront amount to time your pos to come out of reinforced at a time you choose.

I dunno what you mean about jam them, you can't ecm a pos.

edit: oh and chribba's titan doesn't have miner II's, he fitted 4 or 5 strip miners on it.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Shit, and I do mathematics at uni. However, typo for £1500 was what I meant. Still, more like £2300 from sounds of it. Ouch.

I meant the POS was ecming the attackers.

So whilst it is in reinforce mode there is no more need to attack. And it will last as long as the strontium it has on board or earlier if the player running it so choose?

Thanks for the info btw. What exactly do sov levels mean? Ken had sov3 when renamed and that mattered...

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shit, and I do mathematics at uni. However, typo for £1500 was what I meant. Still, more like £2300 from sounds of it. Ouch.

I meant the POS was ecming the attackers.

So whilst it is in reinforce mode there is no more need to attack. And it will last as long as the strontium it has on board or earlier if the player running it so choose?

Thanks for the info btw. What exactly do sov levels mean? Ken had sov3 when renamed and that mattered...

you can't refuel a pos when it's in reinforced. so you can't just keep it in reinforced forever.

sov levels tick up slowly based on the amount of time you have sov in a system. certain pos mods need specific sov levels in order to be anchored. as well as reduced fuel requirements. the important ones are:
    sov2: cyno beacons(it's a permanent cyno, cyno's are the only way capital ships can move around)
    cov3: cyno jammer(prevent the opening of any cyno's in the system) and jump bridges(links 2 systems together up to 5 ly apart, sorta like your own private gates)

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Reinforcing a tower is putting it into a state of rapid fuel consumption after dropping the shields below 25%. This is done because of the massive timezone differences between alliances, there needed to be a buffer period where the defending alliance had a chance to stage a defense of their tower. When a POS exits reinforced it is destroyable unless it is repaired and refueled. This is the very basis of Territorial POS warfare.

POSes generally cost around 1-1.5 billion isk depending on fittings. After they are anchored for 7 days + 1 downtime the POSes start to claim sovereignty, which is how you get your name on the shiny map. The longer you have POS majority in a system and meet certain criteria, the better your sovereignty level can be (1 through 4) which provides different modules to be used to improve safety, move faster/easier, provide unattackable POSes.

34.95USD for a plex. 600m/plex (lowball.) 60b/600m=100. 100x34.95=$3495 USD. 3495/1.6~ £2200

Koreban on
  • Options
    Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Any idea what happened to the guy who deals with recruiting people to Merch? He hasnt been on for almost 5 days so far according to jabber.

Pat_McRoch on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Foomy wrote: »
    cov3: cyno jammer(prevent the opening of any cyno's in the system) and jump bridges(links 2 systems together up to 5 ly apart, sorta like your own private gates)

How do you attack a POS in sov3 territory when you cannot get any of your caps into that system?

Or is there some way to deminish the persons sov?

And which recruiter?

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You shoot the cyno jammer with sup-caps (Battleships) and hope they don't have a titan on grid to DD your fleet.

smokmnky on
This discussion has been closed.