As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Primaries: Pennsylvania, key hellhole state

• Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Have any of you noticed just how often Clinton supporters say black people aren't "normal?"

No.

It's implied by the 'she gets the support of normal Americans' line.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    deowolf wrote: »
    Have any of you noticed just how often Clinton supporters say black people aren't "normal?"

No.

I haven't seen that direct quote anywhere, but I also don't know many Clinton supporters at this point.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So yeah, spin day. It's time to hear how it's shocking that he couldn't reverse a 20 point lead in days by outspending her, etc etc.

These are, after all, the same people who thought we'd be greeted as liberators, and everything we throw money at will turn to gold.

That said, what struck me was the speeches at the end of the night. Their policies may be similar, so we're voting on character, right? One of these candidates gives concession speeches and congratulates their opponents, the other doesn't. That's fucking character, not who lived in your neighborhood and helped you give money to charities.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    deowolf wrote: »

No.

That's not a racial thing, it gets used in every campaign. Everyone thinks THEY are mainstream america, and whoever likes someone else is an outlier.

kildy on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there a relation between race and working-class voters?

Because I honestly can't see any other reason why Clinton would attract working class voters more then Obama. Quite the opposite actually, since "the little people" are the driving force behind Obama's campaign, instead of lobbyists or something.

Clinton panders to the working class far more than Obama does.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Now that I've finished it, that Rolling Stone article is damning.

Not only for the whole "hi, let's trace who gave out what earmarks and got what campaign contributions days later" angle, but for the giant slap in the MSM's face that Rolling Fucking Stone has more interest in honest investigative journalism than the real news networks.

kildy on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand why the assumption is the the votes Clinton gets are just the votes of people who are turned off by Obama.

You know, some people are actually attracted to Clinton.

Speaker on
  • Options
    MerittMeritt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    eva-braun-clinton.jpg

Meritt on
    test
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    wth, merritt? That's pretty far beyond the pale, and I don't Like Clinton.

kildy on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Seriously, that is a bit much.

A bit real much.

Besides, she's the leader - she'd be doing the casual bent-arm salute. Duh.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sitting in a room with a TV that has Fox News on.

Man this station is retarded.

Speaker on
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cheezy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/04/will_obama_campaign_start_hitt.php

Rampant speculation time! This is my favorite part of shifting narratives.

We found some unnamed person not connected at all with the campaign who is going to tell us they're Totally about to go negative and use republican talking points. Totally.

kildy on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why, PA, why did you have to go and be a bunch of retards? Was it the cheesesteaks? Are you all so full of fat and cholesterol you voted on health care? Or are you all just a bunch of assholes?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You won't find another state more chock full of old white women outside of Florida.

When I was calling my grandma on her 80th birthday a week or so back I was afraid to ask who she was voting for.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did... did this thread just get Godwin'd?

Also, it's not that Obama can't land a knockout blow, it's that he's fighting an unfeeling robot calibrated to stay in the boxing match as long as possible. I just hope he doesn't pull a John Henry and beat the machine at the cost of his own life.
    Mixed metaphor? What mixed metaphor?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    First Read shoots down AP's take on why Obama can't close the deal (all those metrics? Fine. But the reality of it is White Women as a voting bloc won't sway, and they made up 47% of PA's voters yesterday. He can't block her out of the vote if she has that large a group that will stick with her no matter what.)

Then they proceed to lay out the delegate math and popular vote math in hard terms of "she can't win delegates. She can't win the popular vote unless you count Michigan. And even Clinton supporters understand that Michigan was some bullshit"

edit: Why do I read the comments?

"Ah.. like the common sense folks have been saying for months now...Obama CANNOT beat McCain. Apparently 1 out of 4 Clinton supporters will vote for McCain if Obama is the nominee, against 1 out of 7 Obama supporters will do the same if Hillary is the nominee. Obama CANNOT beat McCain. Dems need to wake up and smell the coffee. Hillary is the only person who can beat McCain in the general election. If we choose wrong again, as we did with John Kerry, we lose again."

By this logic, we should reward people for being irritating dicks and thus overturn the popular vote and the delegate count to nominate someone who lost, because she polarized her base against her own party. BRILLIANT.

kildy on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    I don't understand why the assumption is the the votes Clinton gets are just the votes of people who are turned off by Obama.

When I told me dad that Obama won Lancaster, he gave the opossite response.

It happens both ways.

Evander on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I like Obama and I'm turned off by Clinton. It's a double whammy!

Scooter on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Sweep Indiana and North Carolina. NC's ours, IN can be ours with enough of Obama's hometown posse swarming the state.
    I highly doubt Obama is going to win Indiana. HIGHLY doubt.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    Speaker wrote: »

When I told me dad that Obama won Lancaster, he gave the opossite response.

It happens both ways.

I'm glad he took delaware county. My grandparents live in newtown square, and that place is chockfull of old people.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish someone (not me) would just shoot the bitch and put this god damned primary out of its fucking misery. I'm tired of this shit. "Oh Clinton is coming back!" No, she's not. She's just reducing the substantial lead that Obama has on her by a hand full of delegates.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It will never end... people can't take one for the team anymore.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Damn, Obamas speech in Indiana was good last night.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I nominate the next thread be titled "A HUNDRED MORE YEARS!": A Democratic Primary Thread

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm astounded you guys are surprised/upset about the outcome. It was pretty much a given that after the Wright thing that the racist vote would put Hillary over the top by a good amount. PA and OH are right next to each other and have almost the same demographics. We need to have a realistic view about Indiana too, because it breaks down similarly. I figure a 5% win in Indiana for Clinton.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Chake99 wrote: »
    I nominate the next thread be titled "A HUNDRED MORE YEARS!": A Democratic Primary Thread

Titles usually happen later when something major/minor but overblown happens.

MKR on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is the hole big enough for Pennsylvania?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I see the results today and I see Clinton won with a 10 pt lead and I'm all like "Awww..." but then I find out she only won a total of six more delegates than he did because of it and I'm now all like, "Oh, well, that was a totally useless victory for her."

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Is the hole big enough for Pennsylvania?
    Pennsylvania is a hole by adding it to the hole we increase the size of the hole and greatly increase it's value as a punishment.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Chake99 wrote: »

ha ha ha

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The majority of the print media narrative seems to be "so her odds went DOWN after that win", and focusing on the new win percentages she needs.

Only TV media seems to be playing the comeback kid angle.

kildy on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm getting pretty sick of this constant throwing around of the term "underdog." Just because hillary is losing right now does not make her the underdog. Obama was the underdog and overcame her lead to come out on top. Saying hillary is now the underdog is like saying the empire became the underdog when the rebels blew up the deathstar.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I like Obama and I'm turned off by Clinton. It's a double whammy!

Whammy!

david-bust.jpg

Tach on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    The more I look at this photo, the more convinced I am that Hillary's been recruiting non-humans for her campaign.

080422_clintonsupporter_bro.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ............does that sign say "Smart Choice"?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    John McCain is so old he makes Strom Thurmond feel young again.

better yet,

John McCain is so old he's older than himself, incurring an infinitely recursive loop of oldness.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll give it a week to see if superdelegates react. If they don't react strongly one way or the other, I'll wait for the IN/NC primaries. Then I'm reposting that music video of all the puppets singing for Margaret Thatcher to resign. The resemblance to Hillary's position is somewhat striking.
    Please don't, I had nightmares for a week. ;)

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That photo says more about Clinton supporters than anything else ever could.

Idiots.

Tach on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I see the results today and I see Clinton won with a 10 pt lead and I'm all like "Awww..." but then I find out she only won a total of six more delegates than he did because of it and I'm now all like, "Oh, well, that was a totally useless victory for her."

The thing seems to be that no one in the media gives a shit about the actual delegate count anymore, and all we're going to be hearing for a couple of days is how she's the comeback kid who can't be kept down. She's a fighter gosh darn it! That Obama boy doesn't know what he's facing!

Kyougu on
This discussion has been closed.