As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Primaries: Pennsylvania, key hellhole state

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Gods that article was bad. Fortunately most everyone else agreed. It had a 2 star rating. I went and threw my .5 star in.

That article being the 'feminism' one.

I really just don't understand how someone that self identifies as a feminist can actually mislabel feminist philosophy that badly. I mean, come on.

From what I understand, feminism was a lot different in the 60s and 70s. Much more bra burning and emasculation.

No, there were a lot of feminists back then who weren't retards and wanted to be treated equally, not extra special.

But there was also a not-insignificant number of idiot-women who were active androgynists. They were the feminist equivalent of the Black Panthers minus the calls to violence (usually).
    You mean misandrists.

Androgynists might make sense if he's talking about the feminists who believe there are absolutely no inherent difference in capability between the sexes.

Hachface on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My main issue with the article is that by the same logic, men should only vote for men, minorities should only vote for minorities, and dammit behavior and competence should never be used as metrics.

I'm sure that would be shot down by the author, but I think at this point in our social situation, we want equality. Are some people sexist/racist/retarded? Yes. But that doesn't mean you swing way the other way to combat it. You try and marginalize those people and let logical discourse win the day.

Also, trying to run on the "I'm not a white male!" angle is pretty silly when your primary opponent isn't one, either.

kildy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    You mean misandrists.

I always fuck up that word.

Every damned time.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    My main issue with the article is that by the same logic, men should only vote for men, minorities should only vote for minorities, and dammit behavior and competence should never be used as metrics.

The logic is that you should vote for women because they're underrepresented. Which is still stupid, but you're kind of misrepresenting their argument.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    Repeat after me:

Nobody will win this. Nobody will drop out, nobody will pick up enough delegates to clinch the nomination. This is GOING to go to the convention.

Nah, I'm still going to say Indiana or June, depending on how Barack does in the former.

I got five bucks that says no.

It's already statistically impossible for her to catch up in pledged delegates, and highly unlikely she could ever catch up even with superdelegates. Not without alienating the very base she's expecting to turn up for her in November. At this point, there's really no significant chance of her winning the nomination, so the fact that she's even continuing today suggests that Indiana and North Carolina aren't going to change anything.

Also, headline in my local paper today (actually, sub-headline)

"Democratic hopeful battles back from the brink again"

Seriously? How did she battle back from the brink yesterday? One, she was already favored to win PA. Two, her win in PA did nothing to significantly reduce Obama's lead. She didn't battle back from the brink. She's still on the brink. All PA did was keep her from falling off the cliff into oblivion. It's not like she's suddenly kicking ass and taking names.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wolfson is on NPR right now talking about how she has 'more votes' as if there wasn't any disenfranchisment of the voters in Michigan and Florida. I want to shout at him so much.

moniker on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Apparently coming back is losing 11 points in 6 weeks, but not 20? I don't understand. I wish this definition applied to, say, football in 2006. "Michigan comes back and wins stirring victory over Ohio State, your final score Michigan 39, Ohio State 42."

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The logic is that you should vote for women because they're underrepresented. Which is still stupid, but you're kind of misrepresenting their argument.

I don't think it's that far a misrepresentation, it's an attempt to stack a deck in response to it having been stacked beforehand. And when applied to another underrepresented group as the opposition it slips from Stupid into a slap fight over who is underrepresented Worse. (yeah, I've already seen enough Is Racism or Sexism a harder barrier for people in this country! debates)

kildy on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    Repeat after me:

Nobody will win this. Nobody will drop out, nobody will pick up enough delegates to clinch the nomination. This is GOING to go to the convention.

Nah, I'm still going to say Indiana or June, depending on how Barack does in the former.

Yeah. Aren't the supers being heavily encouraged to declare after the primaries in June? Even if Clinton still insists on staying in, the race will be effectively over if that happens. It might technically "go" to the convention, but in the same way that the fight between Ron Paul and McCain is "going to the convention."

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is a wonderful political cartoon:

2008-04-23-TMW040208huffpo.jpg

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There is nothing about that cartoon that is not awesome.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    KismetKismet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wooo my governor endorsed Obama today (Oklahoma, where Hillary won)! I'm happy because I wrote him a letter a month ago asking him to endorse, so now I can pretend that I helped. 8-)

Kismet on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey! Is that my ass over there?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    I pretty much stopped reading the moment she invoked Baby Boomers as women who "remember and recognize the ongoing struggle for equality and identify with feminism."
    There's some truth to this. The feminism of the 60s and 70s is a different beast than is feminism today, and self-identified feminists of that era are more likely to identify with what Hillary is pitching and what she represents.

It's not too different from the civil-rights activists of the same era in my view.
    The difference being that the civil-rights activists of that era actually accomplished something.

The feminists of that era just fucking sucked. They're still fighting over Roe v. Wade. It's as if the civil rights leaders had to keep re-fighting Brown v. Board of Education every time we get a new Congress/President/Supreme Court Justice.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Apparently the key to making a Tom Tomorrow cartoon not suck is to apply it to a situation so absurd that there's no need to unfairly mischaracterise it to score cheap points.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Sir, from where you're standing, it's a physical possibility for your ass to be over there.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2330234120080423

I'm curious how much this whole McCain vs The GOP Attack Machine will play. I would love to see a clean campaign on issues for once, but there are so many ways for dipshits to try and stay relevant by attacking randomly.

kildy on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I simply don't buy the statistic that one in four Clinton supporters will not support Obama over McCain. They might say that now, but really. John McCain? Really?

Hachface on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Sir, from where you're standing, it's a physical possibility for your ass to be over there.

I know your tricks!

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm curious how much this whole McCain vs The GOP Attack Machine will play. I would love to see a clean campaign on issues for once, but there are so many ways for dipshits to try and stay relevant by attacking randomly.

Stuff like this is why I think beating McCain is going to be a piece of cake compared to Hillary.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hachface wrote: »
    I simply don't buy the statistic that one in four Clinton supporters will not support Obama over McCain. They might say that now, but really. John McCain? Really?

The actual number depends on whether Hillary is gracious in defeat or is a petulant twat.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    I pretty much stopped reading the moment she invoked Baby Boomers as women who "remember and recognize the ongoing struggle for equality and identify with feminism."
    There's some truth to this. The feminism of the 60s and 70s is a different beast than is feminism today, and self-identified feminists of that era are more likely to identify with what Hillary is pitching and what she represents.

It's not too different from the civil-rights activists of the same era in my view.
    The difference being that the civil-rights activists of that era actually accomplished something.

The feminists of that era just fucking sucked. They're still fighting over Roe v. Wade. It's as if the civil rights leaders had to keep re-fighting Brown v. Board of Education every time we get a new Congress/President/Supreme Court Justice.

I would really like to see a graph of any measurable indicator of the status of women over time. Wage gap, number of college graduates, number of women in government, number of CEOs etc... Anything that isn't some wishy-washy bullshit and can actually be measured.

I strongly suspect you'd see a big bump leading up to women gaining the right to vote then a slow but steady increase with little variation in slope up to the present day. The 60s wouldn't even show up as a blip.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Stuff like this is why I think beating McCain is going to be a piece of cake compared to Hillary.

Yeah, but beating someone with scruples is always easier.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The actual number depends on whether Hillary is gracious in defeat or is a petulant twat.

Given the age of her supporters, you can't discount racism for part of them.

moniker on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Didn't someone in this thread (or an earlier incarnation) have a sig that said "feminism is the radical idea that women are human beings, radical feminism is the idea that men aren't?" Because I liked that line.

Also, the last panel is pure gold.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The optimistic part of me thinks "good for McCain."

The pessimistic, cynical part thinks "great, now the GOP machine can be on the attack, while being soundly condemned by McCain, which means he gets all of the benefits from their attacks, and none of the blowback."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

If she doesn't put at least a little bit of effort into campaigning for Obama in the general, she will have political future of any kind.

Hachface on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Her win gave her reason to continue. It was the last big state, and a win there upheld her continuing narrative of "I can win the big, important states!" Had she lost there, it would have really sent the message everywhere that she was no longer viable. She may have stayed in, trying to spin it as though it were inevitable that she was beaten in a state where she was being outspend 3-to-1, etc, but the media would have jumped all over her.

Now it's in the media's best interest to keep this thing looking like a fight. Obama was the media darling early on because he was charismatic and an ACTUAL underdog. You know, no Washington connections, no history, no millions of dollars backing him. He managed to keep that blessing right up through (I think) Texas/Ohio, when he lost 3/4 contests. Suddenly he wasn't infallible, he wasn't unbeatable, and Hillary wasn't doomed. So the media turned its focus onto him, trying to dig things up on him which fed into this line of thinking.

Mercifully, the primaries from here on out aren't as spaced out as the last one was, so the media will focus more on performance in a given state rather than acquaintance-blaming (hopefully). Best case scenario (realistically) is that they split the remaining contests. Obama goes wraps it up with the lead, and the supers get behind him. More likely it will go to the convention, and from there it's anyone's guess. My fear is that Hillary starts picking up a few states, gains some momentum, and wraps up the contest with a streak of wins.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    From the These Pro-Hillary Comments Are Just Getting Weird department:
    OBAMA'S VULCAN MIND MELD DID NOT WORK. Obama's Vulcan Mind Meld worked well on U.S. Senators Kennedy, Kerry, Dowd and Casey and on human cubs ages 18-24 (earth years). However, it did not work well in Penna where many are descendents of Romulans and Klingons who are a warrior people and are not easily swayed by these mind games.They still cling to their lazer guns, value fighting skills and customs like spontaneous story telling of epic wars. These preferences benefitted Hillary and the demographics in Indiana are similar. Vulcan's admire Obama's superior attitude, protruding ears and lack of compassion. Unfortunately, they only make up less than 2% of the population and are concentrated in the gated community of Merlot.

#10 reply to this Politico article.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't see how it is at all likely that it will go to the convention. The remaining contests will be split plus or minus maybe 20 delegates. Whatever the case he will have an over 100 pledged delegate lead over Hillary, and that will be that. That's too much to bullshit out of. Most likely the supers will end it sometime in May, at latest when Obama takes about half of the total pledged delegates.

Only way for Hillary to win is in the event of a catastrophe. Unfortunately, she's been trying to make one as of late.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Savant wrote: »
    I don't see how it is at all likely that it will go to the convention. The remaining contests will be split plus or minus maybe 20 delegates. Whatever the case he will have an over 100 pledged delegate lead over Hillary, and that will be that. That's too much to bullshit out of. Most likely the supers will end it sometime in May, at latest when Obama takes about half of the total pledged delegates.

Only way for Hillary to win is in the event of a catastrophe. Unfortunately, she's been trying to make one as of late.
    I think Hillary is holding out hope that the supers will overturn the pledged delegates/popular vote.

I'm hoping they don't, but the Democratic party has been known to be retarded in the past.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    SteevL wrote: »
    OBAMA'S VULCAN MIND MELD DID NOT WORK. Obama's Vulcan Mind Meld worked well on U.S. Senators Kennedy, Kerry, Dowd and Casey and on human cubs ages 18-24 (earth years). However, it did not work well in Penna where many are descendents of Romulans and Klingons who are a warrior people and are not easily swayed by these mind games.They still cling to their lazer guns, value fighting skills and customs like spontaneous story telling of epic wars. These preferences benefitted Hillary and the demographics in Indiana are similar. Vulcan's admire Obama's superior attitude, protruding ears and lack of compassion. Unfortunately, they only make up less than 2% of the population and are concentrated in the gated community of Merlot.

No, no, no. That analogy is all wrong. Obama is human.

Clinton is a Ferengi.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think Hillary is holding out hope that the supers will overturn the pledged delegates/popular vote.

I'm hoping they don't, but the Democratic party has been known to be retarded in the past.

That something I was once really concerned about, but it seems that the tend in superdelegate endorsement is firmly towards Obama. Of course, there's always the possibility that the public face of Clinton's campaign is a ruse and her real hopes for the nomination rest in a secret blackmail campaign against each and every Democratic superdelegate. That seems like the kind of thing she'd be into.

Hachface on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008

Clinton Supporter Shoved While in Lunch Line!

News at 8.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Clinton Supporter Shoved While in Lunch Line!

News at 8.
    Clearly, that's a former Ron Paul supporter.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You people are acting like the Democratic Party has a long history of fucking itself over.

kildy on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

It's sad to see people fall for One Of The Oldest Rhetorical Tricks In The Book. (Fuck, it was old when Cicero used it.) Yes, it's so noble for McCain to push for the ad to be pulled now - but the damage is already done. The argument is out in the public mind. End result - Obama gets slimed, and McCain gets to look gracious.

Why the fuck do you think the GOP is building their strategy around 527s?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited April 2008

It's sad to see people fall for One Of The Oldest Rhetorical Tricks In The Book. (Fuck, it was old when Cicero used it.) Yes, it's so noble for McCain to push for the ad to be pulled now - but the damage is already done. The argument is out in the public mind. End result - Obama gets slimed, and McCain gets to look gracious.

The Hope is that the GOP is doing this, but McCain doesn't want to play ball and actually still has the morals we remember.

The Cynic is this is all game playing so Obama can't contrast his highbrow campaign strategy with McCain slugging in the gutter.

Ideally it would be nice if there was a legal way for candidates to get a supporting 527 to shut the fuck up.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This is pretty much why I want MoveOn.org to stay the fuck out of this race.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The Hope is that the GOP is doing this, but McCain doesn't want to play ball and actually still has the morals we remember.

What morals? This is the McCain who on the one hand decried the tactic of turning an opponent's innocent family members into cheap political targets, and on the other once took potshots at a then 14 year old Chelsea Clinton for being ugly.

Senjutsu on
This discussion has been closed.