As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Primaries: Pennsylvania, key hellhole state

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I found something specific on it about BlueHampshire from December, too.

But I found something Far more entertaining:

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/f.php?ip1=208.116.214.64-127

What do Obama's office workers do on wikipedia all day? SCANDALS AHOY:

208.116.214.66 List of Highlander: The Raven episodes [cur] 126753551 /* Episodes */

208.116.214.66 Vanilla Ice [cur] 134844555 /* Personal life */

To be fair, Clinton's campaign staffers had far less to say about pop culture:

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/f.php?ip1=65.220.127.136-143

65.220.127.139 Korgoth of Barbaria [cur] 145670932

kildy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »

I dunno, I can get behind the idea that we have too goddamn many federal holidays as-is, whether I agree with it or not. If I was going to compile a list of federal holidays, it would look like this:

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas
    Memorial Day/Veterans Day (basically a single day to honor troops)

That's it. No MLK day, no Cesar Chavez day, no Labor Day. The idea of creating special days on which government employees get 8 hours of free pay all willy nilly is sort of lame to me. I'd only do Christmas because the holiday is so large that everyone takes off to celebrate it anyway.

Now, if McCain opposed MLK day but supported other similar federal holidays, then he's a bit of a fucko.

edit: That said, the idea of declaring a day as a "Hey, let's remember this cool dude but you don't get a paid holiday" day is cool.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I dunno, I can get behind the idea that we have too goddamn many federal holidays as-is, whether I agree with it or not. If I was going to compile a list of federal holidays, it would look like this:

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

That's it. No MLK day, no Cesar Chavez day, no Labor Day. The idea of creating special days on which government employees get 8 hours of free pay all willy nilly is sort of lame to me. I'd only do Christmas because the holiday is so large that everyone takes off to celebrate it anyway.

Now, if McCain opposed MLK day but supported other similar federal holidays, then he's a bit of a fucko.

Bah... Europe has like, three times the holiday's we do. We need MORE Federal Holidays.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Meh. Consider the source. It's possible that a lot of that stuff was some line-item in a huge, unrelated bill. I really couldn't possibly care less.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

edit: That said, the idea of declaring a day as a "Hey, let's remember this cool dude but you don't get a paid holiday" day is cool.

To put in perspective - I work for a global corporation. In order to balance out the number of days off that everyone in other countries gets, every 7 years, we get a 2 month paid sabbatical.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

Not New Years? I like the idea of having a day off at the start/end of a year. Also, I've always thought that election day should be a national holiday.

Cauld on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Some good news from Gallup at least; the divide between Obama and Clinton is coming back again:

042108DailyUpdateGraph1_verosy3.gif

Looks like he's recovered well.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    But why did she go down?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Slow. But it really looks like an aberrant day of polling pulled the 3 day average down than any real change happened.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    To put in perspective - I work for a global corporation. In order to balance out the number of days off that everyone in other countries gets, every 7 years, we get a 2 month paid sabbatical.
    2 months every 7 years comes down to about 9 days per year. Except saying "9 days paid vacation per year" sounds less impressive than "2 months paid sabbatical every 7 years".

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

Not New Years? I like the idea of having a day off at the start/end of a year. Also, I've always thought that election day should be a national holiday.

I could probably get behind Election Day. I don't think we really need an official I'm So Fucking Hungover I Can't Come In To Work Day.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

I'd like to get rid of all of those, and just have 5 days of paid floating holidays we can use whenever the fuck we want.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas
    I could probably get behind Election Day. I don't think we really need an official I'm So Fucking Hungover I Can't Come In To Work Day.
    You've never been to NYC during New Years, have you?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    But why did she go down?

She went back to where she was. Also the more you watch that debate, the more you understand that:

A) it was a pointless hit piece, and

B) She ganged while he didn't kick her when the mods attacked her.

He came across as off balance and unprepared, but in the grand scheme of things it was a 45 minute republican attack ad, and she was more than happy to go along with it.

kildy on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Didn't we determine that Hillary polls best on weekends? And Obama polls best on weekdays? I seem to remember something like that.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'd like to get rid of all of those, and just have 5 days of paid floating holidays we can use whenever the fuck we want.

Not a horrible idea, but it also makes sense to standardize around the days that 90% of people are taking off, anyway. If you're the only person in the office on Christmas Day at a government job, are you really going to be able to get much done, anyway? Beyond that, if you're the only one there, do you have any incentive to not watch movies all day?

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

Election Day makes a hell of a lot of sense. It's not like most people have no way of getting to work and to the polls, but there's no reason not to make it easy. Plus, anticipating a day off of work might make some people actually pay attention to when they're expected to vote.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

I think the idea is that those holidays are not simply paid vacations, but also commemorate things that you as a country should be commemorating: your leaders, your nation, and your veterans. And Christmas is so damn popular that it would be impractical not to have it as a holiday.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

Election Day makes a hell of a lot of sense. It's not like most people have no way of getting to work and to the polls, but there's no reason not to make it easy. Plus, anticipating a day off of work might make some people actually pay attention to when they're expected to vote.

On the one hand, I agree that it would be keen to make it so people didn't have to work on Election Day.

On the other hand, how do you expect to run an election on a Federal Holiday when all the city/state workers are off? :winky:

kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Who was sponsoring it?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    On the other hand, how do you expect to run an election on a Federal Holiday when all the city/state workers are off? :winky:

You don't need city/state workers, you just need the election office staff, and people to man the ballots count the votes.

EDIT: In Québec we have municipal and provincial elections on Sunday, when all municipal and provincial employees are away for the weekend, and it works fine.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Who was sponsoring it?

Was a CBS run debate, http://www.ncdp.org/NCDP_debate_2008_obama_clinton was the initial announcement.

kildy on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Meh. Consider the source. It's possible that a lot of that stuff was some line-item in a huge, unrelated bill. I really couldn't possibly care less.

The bill that enacted the MLK Jr. federal holiday was not a line-item in a huge, unrelated bill.

Ronald Reagan even took the time to celebrate signing the bill into law.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

"Elect me or else the bogeyman (who incidentally should have been killed while my Hubby was in office) will get you all. Again."

But her team spins this as being 'positive'. o_O

Don't let us down Pennsylvania.

Yall on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

Man, what did Thanksgiving ever do to you?

Oh, and McCain's apparently gotten over that whole "federal holidays cost too much money" thing:
    When he was asked about Senator Barack Obama’s proposal to honor César Chávez, the activist for farm workers’ rights, with a national holiday, he said he would consider it. “My initial leanings are, why not?” Mr. McCain said.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    In Republican Primary news: Ron Paul supporters apparently missed the memo, and are plastering PA with fliers. o_O

kildy on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I picked Clinton by 4-8. I have no grounds for this other than the bare minimum poll numbers, and my gut isn't particularly favoring one way or another. I'll say Clinton by 5, but really, I have no strong feelings.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, I don't want Obama to get blown out, not only because I don't want Clinton to gain on him in votes and delegates too much, but I want him to be able to win over working-class voters and white voters in Appalachia. I think he's going to need Pennsylvania in November, and I'll feel more comfortable about his chances there if he can keep it close in the primary.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    In Republican Primary news: Ron Paul supporters apparently missed the memo, and are plastering PA with fliers. o_O
    Ron Paul supporters misinformed? Why I never would have imagined!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Ron Paul supporters are idiots.
    Some Meetups are already giving up hope, but there is a way for us to get Ron Paul the nomination, and it is absolutely doable.

In a nutshell: If enough delegations sit out the first and second vote, McCain won't get his required majority, and the national convention will become a brokered one- which means anything goes.

There are two main hurdles to accomplishing this:

1. To be even presented for nomination, Ron must be able to "demonstrate the support" of a majority of the delegates from at least five states.

2. Getting enough state delegations to sit out the first two votes won't be easy but it is totally within the realm of the possible!.

What depresses so many delegates is that in order to even be selected as delegates to go to the National Convention, they are required by state party rules to sign a pledge that they will "support" John McCain. That is not the end of the story, however.

The only consequence of that is that a delegate's vote for anyone other than McCain will simply not be counted.

That's all!

There are no legal ramifications for breaking that pledge. There are only possible ethical concerns. These ethical concerns, however, are completely swept aside by the possibility of simply NOT VOTING the first time around.

The RNC's party rules expressly contemplate and acknowledge that State Delegations may choose to sit out a vote. Rule 37c states:

(c) In balloting, if any delegation shall pass when its name is called, then at the conclusion of the roll call all delegations which passed shall be called in the order herein before established. No delegation shall be allowed to change its vote until all delegations which passed shall have been given a second opportunity to vote.

That means (a) it's ok to abstain from voting, and (b) the only consequence is that the passing delegation(s) must be given another chance to vote before any other delegations are released from their pledges.

The Big Challenge:

The big hurdle to climb is the requirement of paragraph (b) of Rule 40, which states that in order to even be presented for nomination, a candidate must be able to demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates of at least five states. Here is the rule:

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of five (5) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

The rule does not define what precise "demonstration of support" is required. In other words, it is not necessary that Ron Paul must have won a majority of the "beauty contest" (popular primary) vote in five states in order to be entitled to all their delegates.

What is a demonstration of support?

A candidate can ask that the delegations of five states where he believes he has enough support be polled by roll call so as to enable him to demonstrate that he has the support of a majority of delegates then and there at the National Convention.

That means we have to get to work on the delegates of each state after the state conventions are over.

Many Republicans hate McCain, or at least dislike him.

There is a huge arsenal of issues on which McCain has exposed himself as a sell-out to conservative Republicans: national sovereignty, free speech (McCain/Feingold), amnesty, guns, abortion you name it, he has voted against conservative values on these.

There is also evidence he "sang" in Vietnam, costing untold numbers of his fellow POWs their life.

It should not be too difficult to convince conservative delegates not to vote for him with that evidence especially in light of the fact that the party rules explicitly contemplate the "passing" of votes by state delegations!

The Strategy:

The strategy therefore must be to get as many Ron Paul delegates selected to represent their state at the National Convention.

That means our delegates need to stay low key.

Resolutions are a dead giveaway, especially when they are fought over things like opposition to the war, or abolishing the Federal Reserve and the IRS, all signature issues of Ron Paul.

So, the best plan is to shut up, move along, do what you ave to do to get selected, sign the pledge to "support" McCain (it doesn't say you promise not to abstain!) and just get in short of outright lying, of course.

If there are any ethical concerns about this supposed "stealth tactic", think about what ethical concerns you may have if you allow McCain to become president by your inaction.

Old guard Republicans may complain about supposed "stealth" or deception-but what is it their preferred candidates do when they swear in their oath of office to "support and defend" the Constitution and then do the opposite?

What is more unethical?

What is more damaging to the country?

What is more destructive of the very foundation of our government and our way of life?

My question is: As long as there is even a sliver of a chance to get Ron Paul the GOP nomination why give up??

Why resign yourself to debating endlessly about the fine points of endless party resolutions and platforms knowing they are routinely ignored, anyway?

These party honchos and their favorite sell-out candidates constantly ignore and violate even our Constitution! What makes you think they won't utterly ignore whatever provisions we manage to get into the national party platform?

Is that worth the price of being spotted and "marked for death" by the party honchos at the state conventions? I don't think so.

Not when you consider what's really at stake.

So, please, please, please don't give up! Ron Paul still has plenty of fight left in him at his advanced age. Why shouldn't we?

Let's fight for what's important (Ron Paul winning) - not for what routinely gets ignored!

Couscous on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    The Onion wrote:
    Pennsylvania Primary
    Penn Primary

The State

* Pennsylvania and Ohio are usually compared to one another because they are both key hellhole states.
    * While the area's steel industry has struggled financially in recent years, it still wields a certain amount of influence over delegates who are suspended above vats of molten lead.
    * Pennsylvania has 188 Democratic delegates up for grabs, down from 211 following a tragic mine collapse in 2005.
    * Philadelphia, the state's largest city, is famous for its delicious, disgusting, delicious food.
    * Pennsylvania's late-April primary has traditionally been symbolic of the goddamn primary season almost being over.

The Candidates

Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton

* Hillary Clinton has surged ahead in the polls in Fayette County, PA, after admitting to residents that it has been her dream since she was a little girl to win more votes than her competitor in Fayette County.
    * After talking with unemployed voters in Allentown, Hillary Clinton vowed to go home and listen to the Billy Joel song a lot more closely.
    * Hillary Clinton solidified her lead among blue-collar workers when she defeated a steam-powered machine in a steel-drivin' contest.
    * Although Clinton was recently called out for lying about dodging sniper fire in Bosnia, the people of the Appalachia backwoods will likely be more than willing to provide her with this valuable experience.

Barack Obama

Barack Obama

* Barack Obama slipped in the polls when he traveled to Harrisburg and gave his now-infamous 30-minute "What is that God-awful smell?" speech.
    * Obama has spent the past two weeks paving and repairing a 20-mile stretch of I-80 so he can get to his next campaign stop.
    * Polls show that Obama has done well with undecided voters in Pennsylvania, though he continues to struggle with voters who have made up their minds.
    * Obama has attempted to appeal to Pennsylvania's working class by donning a specially made, all-denim, Brooks Brother's power suit.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wait, wait, Ron Paul supporters are trying to pull an HRC? Without any metric of the votes to make it? Impressive.

Even funnier that I can't find any mention of the candidate himself being involved in this, since he already abandoned the freaking race.

kildy on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Whelp, my Grandfather is for Clinton. Not sure about my Grandmother. Grandfather's just in poor health, and I can't bring myself to bring that stuff up on the short periods of time that we have to talk. I honestly don't know if they'll be able to make it to the polling place. Talked to my parents over the weekend, and they said that his vehement support for Clinton was unsurprising, not because of Clinton, but because of Obama's race. It's funny - I've known him my whole life, but a situation never arose where that perception came to light and I really had no idea that he had any biases. He wasn't active and doesn't have an outright hatred or anything, it's just a generational preference sort of thing, from what I gather. Still, a weird thing to find out about someone so late in life.

It's funny with the older generation. Their racism isn't like the racism of younger people. They just grew up in a world and in communities where your ethnicity mattered A LOT and they pay attention to it in a kind of tribalistic way. At least that is my experience. It's a bit different than people who just hate blacks.

Speaker on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    * Barack Obama slipped in the polls when he traveled to Harrisburg and gave his now-infamous 30-minute "What is that God-awful smell?" speech.

Sigging this

Scooter on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    53-46. A 7-point win, and despite her goalpost moving of 'I just need to win', the media? Or at least Bloomberg?

Not buying it. (And I haven't seen CNN or MSNBC give her any leeway either.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Presidents Day
    Fourth of July
    Christmas

Man, what did Thanksgiving ever do to you?

Seriously; Best. Holiday. Ever.

And while I'd like to see 'Election Day' as a federal holiday they need to move it off of Tuesday. Either put it on Monday/Friday and make it a holiday, or just put it on Saturday/Sunday to begin with and make it a 'holiday.'

moniker on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Ron Paul supporters misinformed? Why I never would have imagined!

I completely forgot to mention that. I was canvassing in harrisburg over the weekend, and ron paul signs are fucking EVERYWHERE. There was this one mile stretch on I-283 where there was literally a ron paul sign every 50 feet.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Why oh why has Marc Ambinder closed his comments section.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/04/north_carolina_cancels_debate.php

That's not at all worthy of comment. Not even slightly. Everyone else just pointed out that the debate was canceled. Apparently Ambinder has amazing connections inside the Obama camp to find out the real scoop as to why. o_O

kildy on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think Obama's going to do fine, whether or not he actually wins.

Remember the three days before Texas and Ohio? He was taking intense heat for the NAFTA mess, and he was dropping in all the polls of both states. You could tell that he was on the wane.

By contrast, for the past three days, especially today, it's felt like Obama's rising. He's back up in the Gallup, he's narrowing Clinton's margin in all the pollls (even SUSA's fallen in line), and he's pounding hard across the state. Meanwhile, Clinton's pulled out Osama bin Laden, which strikes me as a sure sign of her desperation.

I think a win is unlikely, but I think he'll perform well.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    It's funny with the older generation. Their racism isn't like the racism of younger people. They just grew up in a world and in communities where your ethnicity mattered A LOT and they pay attention to it in a kind of tribalistic way. At least that is my experience. It's a bit different than people who just hate blacks.

It's always struck me as less vicious, but with a fundamental sense of "not my people".

I'm glad that attitude is changing at least.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.