Options

Game On: Final Fantasy XI

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    So how did you get the wings and clothes? Are you editing files?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Using the model viewer and custom .dats you can change just about any weapon/armor into any other. Here's a somewhat confusing explanation of it on KI.

http://www.killingifrit.com/page.php?id=277

Foyle has the english modelviewer as well as some great tutorials on his site, but it seems ot be down at the moment.

This site has some good links and tutorials as well.
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/dat.image.rendering-294/

I found some japanese torrent full of custom .dats (mostly mithra, go figure.) and combined it with a few of my own to create that. The wings are actually a headgear, the Prishe set replaces regular gear and the hair/face was something I cooked up in photoshop.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    NefilimNefilim Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    It's amazing how everyone in the previous page's pictures was wearing a damned optical hat and people are still using ferocious lv1-looking crabs as pets at lv75.

Nefilim on
    Nefilim8382-mph.jpg
    Nefilim8382-mkds.jpg
    Nefilim8382-acww.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Nefilim wrote:
    It's amazing how everyone in the previous page's pictures was wearing a damned optical hat and people are still using ferocious lv1-looking crabs as pets at lv75.

If by everyone you mean the three melees, because you know it might be possible that they would need some extra accuracy against the final boss of the CoP storyline. :roll:

As for pets, I'm not sure as I don't know many Beastmasters but I am guessing Courrier carrie is one of the most cost effective jug pets around.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    NefilimNefilim Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dangerous wrote:
    Nefilim wrote:

If by everyone you mean the three melees, because you know it might be possible that they would need some extra accuracy against the final boss of the CoP storyline. :roll:

As for pets, I'm not sure as I don't know many Beastmasters but I am guessing Courrier carrie is one of the most cost effective jug pets around.

I'm just posting my anti-FFXI sentiments, don't mind me. I really wish they would have gotten off their ass when it came to mob/equipment design. As is, you fight the same mobs with different stats from lv1 to lv65 (then go to aht urghan now, I presume), get to the end so you can work to make yourself look like everyone else in the game. Scorp Harness, Cross Counters, Astral Staff, Hauberk, Optical Hat, Errant/Mahatma gear, Sniper Rings, etc. are, for the most part, too overpowered to skip. Thus everyone uses them when it applies and there's hardly any diversity.

It's bad enough that everyone has the same subjob setup. For a FF game, I was really looking forward to fleshing out my own little hero character with a unique skill set and identity and not just another "rdm/blm lfg."

Nefilim on
    Nefilim8382-mph.jpg
    Nefilim8382-mkds.jpg
    Nefilim8382-acww.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Nefilim wrote:
    Dangerous wrote:
    Nefilim wrote:

I'm just posting my anti-FFXI sentiments, don't mind me. I really wish they would have gotten off their ass when it came to mob/equipment design. As is, you fight the same mobs with different stats from lv1 to lv65 (then go to aht urghan now, I presume), get to the end so you can work to make yourself look like everyone else in the game. Scorp Harness, Cross Counters, Astral Staff, Hauberk, Optical Hat, Errant/Mahatma gear, Sniper Rings, etc. are, for the most part, too overpowered to skip. Thus everyone uses them when it applies and there's hardly any diversity.

It's bad enough that everyone has the same subjob setup. For a FF game, I was really looking forward to fleshing out my own little hero character with a unique skill set and identity and not just another "rdm/blm lfg."

Sorry if I am a little owly but far too many ex-players come in just to shit all over any thing FFXI related. Actually I agree with every one of your points though.

I recently saw a screenshot of a monk and a ninja at end-game side by side, both with their weapons unequipped. I'll be damned if I couldn't tell which was which. Things are a little better now that most jobs have various JSE but still unless you can get your AF2 and have a good sky/God/Sea LS to get you some of your job's nicer gear you are gonna look exactly like 90% of the other melees on the server.

Like you said some items like O hat and sniper rings are just too indespensible. Because there's such a competition for everything in the game if you don't have the uber leet DD or mage gear you'll be passed over for invites pretty frequently. I think the same thing applies to the mobs in the game. It's just too damn hard to get a group together and get some exp. By the time you assemble a functional group nobody wants to travel 40 mins to BFE for mediocre exp. They'd rather pile into the nearest zone to pummel whatever happens to be weakest (see crabs, crawlers).

All that crap aside, I'd have to say that duoing or trioing with some friends is the best way to experience the game. You'll never get great exp and it'll take alot longer but you'll get a hell of alot more enjoyment. You'll be able to try out different combos and gear setups because you aren't just Refresh bot #5120-a. A few times a week my friend and I head to the top floor of Castle O to pound yagudo for exp and profit. In all the time I have lvled mnk 1-70 I never had more fun than I am having now.

Sometimes I sub thief for more drops, or ninja for less downtime, or even cookie cutter warrior to beat the hell out of things. I use evasion gear sometimes, or pile on VIT and DEF if I feel like it. I think people would enjoy the game so much more if it were possible to make good exp with a duo/trio setup of any of the other jobs aside from Beastmaster.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dangerous wrote:
    can see it's quite a bit easier, but it's still by no means a walk in the park. At lvl 71 my TNL is 32,000. Thankfully between the exp rings and awesome high level exp zones added in ToAU, getting 70-75 is actually feasible for non hardcore players.

Ah...that's too bad. That wouldn't even effect me then. I never got above level 25 on any class, and that was only WHM. Oh well. :?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'll try to answer as many questions as possible:

CoP final battles are not as bad as the previous missions. We had to use a wipe/reraise strategy for the 4 Spinning pots o' doom fight because we only had 1 black mage. Final form we wiped the first time as the bastard boss dispelled our reraises and decided to meteor all of us into oblivion. The second time, our dark died almost right away, our tank lost connection around 40% of the fight and it we bouned hate around between the monk, myself (beastmaster) and my pet.

Why you always see pet crabs: Cost vs effectiveness. There is only a handful of pets better at 75 (others are capped). They also cost an arm and a leg. Let's put it this way, for fun I use a lvl 75 Cactuar that costs about 200-300k. A dozen of those crabs which are about 90% (not a hard statistic) as good costs about 40k.

Gear: Theres lots of alterantives to gear if you can't afford the best. Jaegers are +4 Accuracy vs Snipers that are +5, Theres a +5 atk/acc body piece thats an alternative to haubergeon etc etc. Of course you will see the same things as people always try to go for the best. Just don't overhunt (chaining VT's is the best xp IMO).

Timesink for leveling: not to brag (ok a little) but I know the game pretty much in and out. In a normal pickup party if every player is good you I easily break 5k an hour (+15% if on TOAU). In parties I know the players, my norm is around 7-9k. In superb parties I break 10k an hour for exp. Hunting IT's is the worst thing ever unless the mobs die quickly. 10 kills for 150xp with little downtime (and more fun) vs 3 200xp IT mobs and tons of downtime? I know which one I pick.

The last time I leveled a job, I completely avoided the dunes, qufim, island and crawlers nest. There are tons of places to explore. When's the last time anyone xp'd in Attowa Chasm? Something other than worms in Korrokola, Carpenters Landing? You guys have a great resource, a PA linkshell. Grab some friends, form weird job combos and go out and explore new places to xp. You see the same subjobs all the time mostly because the game is four years old, most of us have already tried everything under the sun and picked a subjob for the occassion. XP subjobs are going to be the same.

Just two days ago, a group of friends ranging from 65-75 basically hopped into the new Mamook zone. No one had any idea where the ideal camps were, what did we do? Just ran around stomping mobs and we even rescued one of the generals. Three hours later most of us had around 15k XP earned, got to complete a lap around the zone, free'd a general to help in Besieged and got a new look at some mobs no one xp's on.

edit: the melees were 70-75, support were 65-71.
    edit#2: I lost some amazing screenshots of the game a while back, I'll try taking more if you guys are interested.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    PICS: I don't like take pics out of my normal DD gear cause its so fucking ugly but here you go:

RDM + BST Duoing Mission 9-1 (which normally takes a party of 75's or a small alliance of 65+)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/solsovly/sandy9-1duo.jpg
    There is my ugly Optical Hat, a Gaudy Harness(not scorpion), two Rune Axes for regen, and the rest crow/raven gear so I can shed hate onto my pet Beetle. My hands are ogre gloves to help with STR+ and to boost my pet food. Some gear I only macro in during my WS or during cures to reduce hate but anyways...

Besieged!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/solsovly/defendastral.jpg
    We lost all 5 generals and had to defend right inside the astral convenant. I'm wearing fugly bard gear

Chain 6 solo on my blm (with manafont for the last kill)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/solsovly/altepachain6.jpg

Rivern love, awesome zone. Usually empty due to level caps. We were on our way to do our weekly ENM (instanced boss fight):
    rivern50portal-1.jpg

sorry I raped H-scroll :(

solsovly on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    solsovly wrote:

You could do us all a favor and fix it please?

Edit: I can't seem to locate the model viewer anywhere.

Further Edit: I think I found it...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    solsovly wrote:

You could do us all a favor and fix it please?

Edit: I can't seem to locate the model viewer anywhere.

Further Edit: I think I found it...

Real pros use the Japanese model viewer. (it's actually a DAT miner)

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    This page seems to have both english and JP modelviewers. I wouldn't trust any of the other downloads there though.

Also a word of warning, if you decide to try swapping some dats always make sure to back up the original, usually by just changing the extension to .bak or something otherwise it's too damn confusing.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    While I'm around this seems like a good time for more screens.

mygear.jpg
    My modest collection of gear, including my prized signed scorp harness and fake O hat. As soon as I save up more cash I'm getting tiphia sting and currently saving assault points for new pants.

and also..

title.jpg

FUCK YEAH!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    MORBOLGER emot-argh.gif

Xhero on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Wooo, level 20!

Now I have to go back to the dunes and level BLM. I feel like I'll never leave.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fandyien wrote:
    Wooo, level 20!

Now I have to go back to the dunes and level BLM. I feel like I'll never leave.

Hey, I have at least three jobs in the dunes right now. You get in there and FIGHT, damnit!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited July 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    TheFarSide wrote:
    KOROKOLLA TUNNELS, DAMN IT

For some reason, those are not used very much in Carbuncle. I don't know why.

Edit: Recently I was thinking about Carpenter's Landing and the Phanauet Channel. Has anyone had any time spend in those areas?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Actually, I've never even heard of those areas.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fandyien wrote:

You get there through North San d'Oria

And why did I hit tab here in the forums for auto-translate?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fandyien wrote:

Because you're a JUNKIE.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fandyien wrote:
    Fandyien wrote:

Because you're a JUNKIE.

:shock:

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    slowslow Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    It's kind of a shame that this game is an awful timesink that would eat my life if I ever got back into it, because I really like a lot of other things about it.

I'm not even trying to be snarky, this is a genuine inner conflict.

slow on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited July 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Every group in the dunes today seems to come with a Power Leveler as standard equipment.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Do they have paid server transfers yet? I've got a 33 thief on uh, Clefairy I wanna say.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Do they have paid server transfers yet? I've got a 33 thief on uh, Clefairy I wanna say.

A search for "server transfer" in the PlayOnline Q&A turned up nothing related.

Edit: And am I correct in that you need Japanese language support for the JP model viewer to work properly?

Can anyone walk me through this?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    MegaMan001 wrote:

Sorry don't think there will ever be. There is the occassional world shift but that's about it.

solsovly on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Yeah about once a year there's free transfers for a few days. If you want to wait around for that, honestly 33's not that hard to accomplish.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    They only allow world shifts when the present servers are getting over-populated and they create new ones. Also I don't think you get a choice where it sends you. I believe you automatically go to the least populated server, though I haven't tried it yet.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Dangerous wrote:
    They only allow world shifts when the present servers are getting over-populated and they create new ones. Also I don't think you get a choice where it sends you. I believe you automatically go to the least populated server, though I haven't tried it yet.

And it goes without saying that they do not guarentee that anyone you know will be going along for the ride.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    There have been instances where you're allowed to decide for yourself. But these things are pretty rare, and I've been along for the whole ride.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Word to the wise, if anyone asks you for help getting Rostrum pumps run like hell!

My black mage friend has been wanting a pair for a long while, and a guy on allakhazam was doing a run thursday night so we figured What the hell, might as well go for it..it couldn't be that hard, right? Wrong. This has to be one of the craziest fights I've ever witnessed in all my days playing.

For starters it's not your typical spawn random NM, tank it straight up and beat it to death. First of all you need an antlion trap to spawn the NM which is a fairly weak antlion in Attohwa chasm. Then you need to pull him to a safe spot where he won't link with other antlions. Then you need to have one ninja tanking him and nobody else can touch it. Every time it does a tp move another antlion will spawn, so you keep killing them and eventually this big mother fucking NM spawns. Then you kill the original one as fast as humanly possible and kite the big daddy down toward a cave. You'd think it would be easy then, but the fun is only beginning. It took us over half an hour of kiting, nuking, dying and raising to finally take down the big one.

In the end it was worth it though, my friend walked away with her sexy new pumps and I got a few kindred seals for my trouble. 8)

pumps1.jpg

pumps2.jpg

pumps3.jpg

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I regret passing over the Genkai 2 party before dinner. There seem to be none setting up right now.

Edit: The results of my first attempt at an assault mission.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I regret passing over the Genkai 2 party before dinner. There seem to be none setting up right now.

t.t oh bri how on earth did you die to worms

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Xhero wrote:

t.t oh bri how on earth did you die to worms

They have a really long casting range and do 300 damage to me a shot. And they link.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Some more screenies of an unique take on Dynamis. My friend leads Manaburn on Asura. Basically the majority of the people are Blackmages with a smattering of Bards for Ballad, Redmages for refresh, Summoners and Thieves for treasure hunter. We went to go farm Dynamis-Xarcabard, hilarious watching NM after NM go from 100% HP to 0% in 2 seconds as 20+ mages all cast their highest nuke at the same time. We got to dynamis lord and lost due to some people forgetting to use their poison pots (and getting slept) but still took it to 17% Manaburn is 3/7 for kills on him.

Here's some screenies of the mage army. (gtfo tanks and melees)

dynamisdragoncloseupxs5.th.jpg

dynamislordengangehz5.th.jpg

dynamislordprepjn1.th.jpg

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Not wanting to sound like a troll or anything, but how exactly is manaburning a unique take on dynamis? From what I have heard from all my friends (including blms) who participate, dynamis is all about blm and smn. Melees and tanks are pretty much just along for the ride anyway.

The easy solution to nearly any tough fight in the game (Divine might, KSNM, hell even Absolute virtue) has been to throw enough black mages and ninjas at it until it dies. Even manaburning for exp was a huge trend until ToAU came along. Ironically enough now it's all about the TP-burns and during our R. pump run the other night the blms were all bitching about how they can't find parties anymore.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Dangerous wrote:
    Not wanting to sound like a troll or anything, but how exactly is manaburning a unique take on dynamis? From what I have heard from all my friends (including blms) who participate, dynamis is all about blm and smn. Melees and tanks are pretty much just along for the ride anyway.

The easy solution to nearly any tough fight in the game (Divine might, KSNM, hell even Absolute virtue) has been to throw enough black mages and ninjas at it until it dies. Even manaburning for exp was a huge trend until ToAU came along. Ironically enough now it's all about the TP-burns and during our R. pump run the other night the blms were all bitching about how they can't find parties anymore.

Since it doesnt sound like you've done dynamis yourself, I'll explain what it normally goes like. Puller wakes stone. Stone "summons" mobs. Mages sleepga and kite/nuke stones. Tank parties call out mobs and people assist tanks usually 1-2 mobs at a time. Melees and and especially tanks are not just along for the ride. You need BLMS because the stones are extremely resistant to melee damage. Normal dynamis is extremely slow and for me (who normally plays melee, kinda boring).

Most people said that Manaburn wouldn't make it past the baby city dynamises without a tank but they've proven them wrong. There are 4 relics on my server. All 4 attestions were gotten through Manaburn.

How many active manaburn dynamis shells do you know? Most servers don't even have one.

solsovly on