As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Channel has gone live!

RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
That's right, the new Nintendo Channel on Wii has just become available for download. Happy downloading, folks! :mrgreen:

Ok ok, I'm editing for those of you who don't know what the Nintendo Channel is. It's a service that has already been available in Japan for a few months now. In a nutshell, this channel allows you to download DS demos and stream promo videos to your Wii. Ninja Gaiden DS and Cooking Mama 2 are a few of the playable demos already available. It only took about thirty seconds to download the Ninja Gaiden to my DS and start playing! I haven't watched many of the videos yet, but the Miyamoto interview might be interesting. The videos don't run full screen but look fairly decent for what they are.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
RidleySaria on

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh, what the hell? I thought this was coming next week!

mntorankusu on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    and what exactly is the new nintendo channel?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »

It's for downloading DS demos and various Nintendo promo videos. I'm trying out Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword right now! :)

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just checking if this is Europe as well.

Edit - I didn't see anything on the shop channel, unless you have to install an update first.

Actually, its probably more likely we didn't get it.

Rotam on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the name nintendo channel makes me think of sega channel, which is not good, since I know there is absolutely no way it can live up to sega channel.

TheSonicRetard on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »

JAEF on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    whoo! i too thought this came out a couple weeks from now :P cool beans

Guek on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just tried it out. Very cool. A must download, especially if you own a DS to use the downloadable demos.

Channel size = 122 blocks. Save file = 126 blocks. Have fun clearing some space.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Actually, if you click the screen, you can actually enlarge the video while it's playing.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BTP wrote: »
    Just tried it out. Very cool. A must download, especially if you own a DS to use the downloadable demos.

Channel size = 122 blocks. Save file = 126 blocks. Have fun clearing some space.

Yeah, the space requirement is pretty steep. I still have room.....but I'm not so sure once Wii Ware comes out.

RidleySaria on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BTP wrote: »

fucking ridiculous. (not the channel; its awesome. the drive space and the decision to keep it small and not release a portable HDD)

delphinus on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The glowing blue light came on for me while I was playing Super Mario Galaxy.

Quite a nice surprise. Downloading this and Ninja Gaiden at some point after I wake up.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm getting quite sick of the limited amount of space on my Wii.

I haven't installed either the Mario Kart or Wii Fit channel, because I lack space.
    I've already been forced to delete several VC games due to space restrictions.

Nintendo needs to fix this soon. The SD card solution doesn't offer much help since it's impossible to play games directly from it.

le sigh. I guess there'll be no Nintendo channel for me anytime soon.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
    edited May 2008
    One thing I did notice if you check out the Wii Ware video, the main menu for the Virtual Console is different. It shows Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Channels.

What is the "Channels" thing about, I wonder? Perhaps where Internet, Everybody Votes, Check Mii Out, will go after the upcoming Wii Ware becomes available?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    "Channels" would probably be for things like the Everybody Votes Channel and Check Mii Out.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    North America only? Has there ever been said anything about when/if this is coming to Europe?

Peewi on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fucking hell. I tried to download it when I woke up, but I only have 50-something blocks left. I have no idea what to delete anymore. Hard choices. :(

SteevL on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hope we get this on Friday.

Rotam on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyone else notice Factor 5 in the list of publishers? :lol:

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited May 2008
    Euroland gets this on the 30th.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm downloading the channel now. Thank god I still had 909 blocks left. How did the rest of you use up so much space, lots of VC games?

SirUltimos on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Awesome! I have no DS, but my friend does and he will be happy to download some demos from it. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Good news, although I'll be moving a bunch of VC games to my sd card or deleting. The DS demo download is going to get some major use, since my DS has been reduced to only courtroom dramas and block dropping.
    Edit: Sir Ultimos, VC games are the culprit for my lack of space. I have 17 of them according to my database.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, so according to the video at nintendo.com, you need to have a Wii to download and play demos on the DS and then once you get them there, they disappear once you turn the DS off. :|

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    Hmm, so according to the video at nintendo.com, you need to have a Wii to download and play demos on the DS and then once you get them there, they disappear once you turn the DS off. :|

Yes.

You didn't know this? That's how it's always worked and has always been proposed to work. You want to keep the demo, close the DS.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

You could just close the DS. Sleep mode will last for a few days and you don't lose the downloaded game, unless it is powered all the way off.
    Edit: beat

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know I'm probably going to get yelled at for asking this. But.

Can a DS use a Wii with an internet connection for an internet access point?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I have my Wii connected to our wireless network. It sounds like the Nintendo Channel act as sort of a go-between for the download service and the DS - correct? Does the DS need to be wirelessly configured to receive information from the Wii or is there some sort of infrared communication?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It works, supposedly, exactly the same as a DS Demo Station in a store. Meaning you set your Wii to broadcast (like Demo Stations always are), turn on your DS (without any games in it, I think) and press DS download play.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I'm downloading the channel now. Thank god I still had 909 blocks left. How did the rest of you use up so much space, lots of VC games?

Each N64 size game is about 260 blocks, so it doesn't take much.

This channel, its save, PPL, and MKW Channel is like what 600 something blocks? That's just in the last two weeks!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • FandangoFandango Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well this is going to end up costing me so much money. I woke up this morning and saw the blue light. Downloaded the channel and played the Ninja Gaiden DS demo ... I then procceded to buy the game from amazon ... because it is AMAZING!

I ... I ... I have no will power.

Fandango on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You did the right thing. Ninja Gaiden DS is fantastic.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008

Each N64 size game is about 260 blocks, so it doesn't take much.

This channel, its save, PPL, and MKW Channel is like what 600 something blocks? That's just in the last two weeks!

Bingo. Between all of that, plus the channel included for Wii Fit, there is no way Nintendo can be THIS naive about memory space now.

But if they are, we'll just have to go on an Earthbound-like rampage and make our voices heard until they cave. Up to 20 million users going "I need more space" would be hard to ignore.

But there is hope! You know that data you allowed to be collected about your Wii at the beginning of using the channel? Among the things they check is the number of available blocks in your Wii's memory!
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/channelsNintendoInfo.jsp

Maybe I should've kept the Metroid 3 Preview channel. :P

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Or you can go to any demo station at game stores and walmart.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited May 2008
    This is nice though, hopefully they'll keep it pretty damn updated with demos.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guys, I'm having trouble connecting to the internet on my Wii and the support site says to change the channel to 1 or 11, but I have no idea how to get there to do that. Can someone help?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Yeah, I buy them way too often.
    Super Mario 64
    Gunstar Heroes
    Toe Jam & Earl
    Bomberman '93
    Dungeon Explorer
    Super Star Soldier
    Contra III: The Alien Wars
    Super Castlevania IV
    Internet Browser
    Soldier Blade
    Super Mario World
    Kid Icarus
    Streets of Rage
    Beyond Oasis
    Star Fox 64
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
    Wonder Boy in Monster World
    Battle Lode Runner
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Streets of Rage 2
    Blazing Lazers
    ActRaiser
    ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
    Air "Zonk"
    Paper Mario
    Kirby's Dream Course
    Shining Force
    Devil's Crush
    Super Metroid
    Neutopia
    Metroid Prime 3 Preview
    Sin & Punishment
    Fatal Fury
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Alien Soldier
    The Dynastic Hero
    StarTropics
    River City Ransom
    Ruins wrote: »
    Guys, I'm having trouble connecting to the internet on my Wii and the support site says to change the channel to 1 or 11, but I have no idea how to get there to do that. Can someone help?

You'll need to edit the settings of your router. We'll need to know what kind of router you're using.

SteevL on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am currently playing the most awesome crossword game ever that I otherwise might never have even heard about.

What a great present to wake up to. Way to go Nintendo.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, Ninja Gaiden DS is pretty fun. Much more so than I thought it would be. This channel is going to destroy any willpower I had before to resist games like this. Now I have no reason NOT to buy it.

I wonder if they will post older games at some point. There are some DS games I missed out on that I'd like to try out before I decide whether or not to get them.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So how do the DS demos work? Sent through the air?

EDIT: Oops sorry didn't see the post above :(

Snare on