Options

Through the Looking Glass [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    PilcrowPilcrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes Sheri I love those shots as well. Shooting those handhelds proves A: you have a steady hand and B: that lens kicks ass. Dang I need to try taking my lens to events, it just seems like it will attract security's attention instantly. Have you had any trouble that way?

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just so no one thinks I'm a dick, I've taken to commenting directly on people's flickr pages when I run across them there first. ;)

anable on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, let me ask you guys a quick question; is there anything I should be doing more than 'taking a crapload of photos' to work on improving my actual talent? I mean, I know in artwork people do stuff like working on basic shapes, or drawing something that's right in front of them, or drawing the same thing each day amongst one's other sketches and stuff, but I don't know what one would do for similarly focused improvements in photography.

And second, just how vulnerable is my lens? Should I keep the lens cap on 24/7 until I'm about to take a photo, or just keep it on when I put it away?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You should be taking a lot of photos, but don't just get shutter happy. Take a minute to think about the picture you're taking, what you want it to convey, and how to best go about that. Then take the shot. Do this a lot and you'll be good to go.

I paid a ton of money for my lenses so I get paranoid and put the cap on any time I'm not taking a picture. It's just a good habit I think.

anable on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would also go through the process of tinkering with every picture in Photoshop or Lightroom....just to see if you can make it better. A picture can be made a lot more interesting just by cropping it in the right way.

An-D on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I kinda liked this one shot, so I've been tinkering with it some more.

2530739180_7abe1ca2db.jpg

Think it looks better at all?

yalborap on
  • Options
    foursquaremanfoursquareman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yal - I think that could be an interesting shot, it's just unfortunate that it isn't in focus. Getting it in focus, and tweaking the white balance so it wasn't as yellow, and I think the shot would be nice.

I've been trying to create shots that wouldn't look out of place in a fashion magazine. Does anyone have any crits on this shot?

2523552223_a982b96a2c.jpg

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, it's tricky to get good white balance in my house. None of my settings really get it right. I'm going to try more subtly tweaking them the next time I take indoor shots, or seeing if a shot balanced off the walls or a white card works better.

As for your image, it looks quite good. The only thing I can think of that's flawed is the bit of bokeh to the right looks a little too in focus, which could be solved with some very subtle tweaking in Photoshop.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What camera are you using? If you can shoot in RAW then you can tweak the white balance on your computer.

I'll try blurring the right a bit.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What camera are you using? If you can shoot in RAW then you can tweak the white balance on your computer.

I'll try blurring the right a bit.

Currently, a Nikon D40. I've considered shooting RAW, since the 4 gig card in this thing can store somewhere in excess of 2,000 images as it is, though I'm not sure how much use the extra data really would be, especially long-term.

Ah well. I'll figure something out. If nothing else, balancing off some cards should produce the proper balance in my house.

EDIT: This shot's white balance came out all wrong, so I ended up greyscaling it.

2530081425_c8122959c5.jpg

Was trying to work on my focus more than my white balance(which was damn near impossible for this shot, with my iMac putting out a completely different color of light compared to my lamps.), though, and I'm still relatively happy with the shot. Bit noisy, though the greyscale helps to cover it up.

yalborap on
  • Options
    The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always shoot in RAW, more specifically I shoot in RAW/jpeg, just so I can have thumbnails to work with. This was something bombs recommended a while ago.

RAW allows for more versatility in pp, and the only benefits to shooting jpeg is that you can get more shots on a single card and it doesn't take as long to write the images to the card when taking continuous shots.

Hard Hat area...

2530144677_b19be0a83c.jpg

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I seem to have caught whatever madness causes a photographer to see something and immediately want to capture it, since I just stood out in 65 degree weather to get a cliche sunrise shot.

2531126668_54fa420826.jpg

So, yeah, that one's pretty rough. I like how this one came out after some photoshopping, though:

2531126648_609e4e348c.jpg

And the original, which is less cool:
    2531126656_2ef5fe3166.jpg

I tried to focus more on the framing and the focus and all that good stuff this time around, though there was only so much I could do without getting higher.

So, thoughts?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had this written down last night, but the tin-can and string that is the Alaskan internet crapped out on me.

The best thing I ever did was start shooting sports photography at the local high school gymnasium, specifically basketball. There's no way your automatic settings are going to do you a lick of good outside of your flash range, so it forces you to learn about ISO, digital noise, focal length, shaky hands, f/stops and how to apply the appropriate combination of shutter and aperture to properly expose and stop (or blur) motion.

Along those lines: putting yourself in new situations, including indoors with poor lighting, and outdoors at midday, and shooting in new ways will teach you a good deal about both your hardware and proper technique. Composition, on the other hand, is best learned from looking at what you've taken, deciding what would make it better, and applying that to your next shoot, along with taking the advice of your fellows in the field.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the advice, Long.

I ended up getting some batshit macro-ish shots just now.

2531841222_f5ff5714fb.jpg

2531841242_e96b3539c1.jpg

And I'm not sure what I'm trying to say with this last one, but I kinda like it.

2531841284_8e52801910.jpg

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I like the backhoe, Earl.

GUYS SHOULD I GO BUY THE 5D RIGHT NOW? I totally could but I'm thinking it's hasty and imprudent but man, it would be awesome.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Isn't there a new version of the 5D supposed to be released soonish?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh I didn't post the retraction that arose about that listing for the 5D Mark II guide on Amazon. It was a planned, not-even-being-written title which the publisher accidentally listed on Amazon's database. So there's no official announcement. There will always be an eventual replacement to every model, but that didn't stop me from buying the XTI, which I've gotten a ton of great use out of...

One worry I have about the 5D is that it lacks a dust removal system for the sensor, but in every other respect it's supposed to be top-notch. And it's cheeeeeaper than eeeeeever right now...augh. Hard to resist. I shall take a nap right now and see how I feel about it when I wake up. I'm probably being ridiculous.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What earl said on the whole RAW thing. So much more versatile.

DM: I missed your pics on the last page somehow, that spotlight pic is amazing. The reflections of the lights especially looks fantastic.

Yalborap: I dunno they're not doin' much for me. The third definitely could have been very interesting maybe from a different angle or with more green grass in the background. Just seems like maybe there's too much clutter in the background.

Earl: Fuck'n 'a man. Not nearly enough B&W going on in this thread!

Prospicience on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yal - I think that could be an interesting shot, it's just unfortunate that it isn't in focus. Getting it in focus, and tweaking the white balance so it wasn't as yellow, and I think the shot would be nice.

I've been trying to create shots that wouldn't look out of place in a fashion magazine. Does anyone have any crits on this shot?

2523552223_a982b96a2c.jpg

I'm not sure in what way you think this would fit into a fashion magazine, but then again, I don't really read many. To me it seems like a very dark shot, the WB is pretty yellow, and it's a shot straight up her nose. The background is also pretty cluttered, even though it's out of focus, and the light isn't catching her face -- it's on her hand.

I guess what I mean to say is that when I think of 'fashion magazine' photos, I think of studio shots, or at least shots where the lighting is very carefully controlled to emphasize a product or whatever it's selling.

The focus is excellent, the DOF is great, but it's just so dark.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks Sheri.

I have wanted to do some studio work for awhile, just need to save the money to rent one.

foursquareman on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey pil... I was talking to our digicam merchant yesterday; apparently a significant portion of the lineup looks to be refreshed at Photokina. Nothing specific on the 5D, but I'd hold off if I were you - just for a bit. If there is a Mark II coming it'll clear out the old ones at an even hotter price.

There's a dirty rumour going around that Sony's full frame 24MP beast might retail for less than $2k. That's... obscene.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    Hey pil... I was talking to our digicam merchant yesterday; apparently a significant portion of the lineup looks to be refreshed at Photokina. Nothing specific on the 5D, but I'd hold off if I were you - just for a bit. If there is a Mark II coming it'll clear out the old ones at an even hotter price.

There's a dirty rumour going around that Sony's full frame 24MP beast might retail for less than $2k. That's... obscene.

No it won't. The 5D Mk. II is going to be holy-shit expensive, and the 5D is already being cleared out with the rebate program. I would raise three eyebrows in surprise if it goes lower on the Mk II announcement - hell, if anything it'll go up like the Pentax K10D did. Canon stops production of the 5D to put all their manufacturers on the Mk II, and everyone who waited for the price drop start frantically buying up remaining stocks before they're all gone. Buy now, Pilcrow.

How is Sony's lense lineup looking these days? I know the bodies are compatible with old Konica Minolta lenses, but what about new stuff? I seem to recall it being almost entirely really fast, sweet-jesus expensive, with big gaping holes beyond 135mm in prime territory (though they had a 300mm and some reflex voodoo).

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My step-brother asked me to take photos of him for the Globe & Mail as they are going to have an article on blood-transfusion receivers with special talents.

I don't know which picture they've decided to use yet, will let you know when I find out.

Also I am a huge noob to the photo bs, I will take any and all critiques because I don't claim to know anything.

bryan3.png
    bryan1.png
    bryan7.png

mully on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That....doesn't look safe. Cool captures though.

anable on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    anable wrote: »
    That....doesn't look safe. Cool captures though.

thanks

he does crap way more dangerous than that, i think he likes getting the "OMG YOURE GOING TO KILL YOURSELF, YOU IDIOT" reaction.

mully on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My first attempt at a series:

2532621303_90bb0c648b.jpg

2532621637_ff4fc4434b.jpg

2532621967_9740a4381b.jpg

2532622135_1eac24fa5f.jpg

2532622237_13e7e2d932.jpg

I've never attempted a "series" before so I'm open to crits and suggestions.

anable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dude, those are amazing. How'd you get those insane angles? They look like you took 'em out of a helicopter with a huge zoom lens or something.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I read this and I'm feeling a little chastened.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

I didn't buy the 5D today. If I decide to get serious about event photography, I may pick it up as a second body. I need to decide how I'd configure everything. Gah the head spins right now. Good night.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    TiniTini Slippy PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ken Rockwell makes me cry...

Tini on
    Do a barrel roll.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Me too.

Tini! Your photographs are excellent! The gaping eagle! The roiling flames! Where did you take that frightening picture of fire? Please post more of your work.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tini wrote: »

The man knows his stuff, but he can be...Harsh.

yalborap on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Tini wrote: »
    The man knows his stuff, but he can be...Harsh.
    His staunch advocation for shooting in JPG makes me very sad. His opinions are very controversial on many topics. His stuff is valuable to read, as long as you take it with a grain of salt.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    His staunch advocation for shooting in JPG makes me very sad. His opinions are very controversial on many topics. His stuff is valuable to read, as long as you take it with a grain of salt.
    Yeah. I sort of look at it like Georgia O'keefe painting flowers, it's just his thing. He gets images he likes that way. It doesn't mean anyone else has to do it.

Pilcrow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pilcrow wrote: »

I didn't buy the 5D today. If I decide to get serious about event photography, I may pick it up as a second body. I need to decide how I'd configure everything. Gah the head spins right now. Good night.

It helps to read that article every once in a while. I don't agree with it 100%, but it makes the point that all the equipment in the world doesn't make you a better photographer. I feel happy saying that I noticed an improvement in my photos when I bought my new lens because my old one wasn't doing what I saw. So I have no regrets with the purchase.
    Dude, those are amazing. How'd you get those insane angles? They look like you took 'em out of a helicopter with a huge zoom lens or something.

These were all taking out of the window of my flight from OKC to Houston and from Houston to Tampa.

anable on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

These were all taking out of the window of my flight from OKC to Houston and from Houston to Tampa.

Very cool shots anable, I'm really liking the series. Especially taken from a commercial airline.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Brown_On_Blue_by_Andashd.jpg

I took this while goofing around with a friend I hadn't seen for years at a bowling alley. I know its kind of blurry, but I love how it came out...and I'm not exactly sure why. o_O

An-D on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    An-D wrote: »
    Brown_On_Blue_by_Andashd.jpg

I took this while goofing around with a friend I hadn't seen for years at a bowling alley. I know its kind of blurry, but I love how it came out...and I'm not exactly sure why. o_O

Quoted for ya.

I'm...not sure how I feel about the shot. One one hand the blurriness almost fits with the chaotic bokeh in the background, but on the other hand I still think it would look better if the person was sharper.

anable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    anable wrote:
    I'm...not sure how I feel about the shot. One one hand the blurriness almost fits with the chaotic bokeh in the background, but on the other hand I still think it would look better if the person was sharper.

I really wish I had planned this shot - than I could've had her sit still while I took it (As I said, we were just goofing off while waiting for our turn to bowl). When I put pictures on my computer that night, I almost deleted this one just because it was blurry, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Its...I don't even know.

Chaotically eye-pleasing.

An-D on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pilcrow wrote: »

It helps to read that article every once in a while. I don't agree with it 100%, but it makes the point that all the equipment in the world doesn't make you a better photographer. I feel happy saying that I noticed an improvement in my photos when I bought my new lens because my old one wasn't doing what I saw. So I have no regrets with the purchase.

I still don't get why you guys just don't read Ansel Adams' books. He wrote 3 books that will do more to improve your photography than a thousand posts on a thousand blogs will ever do. Just buy them, it's the best $60 you'll ever spend (and will do more for your photography than any $1000 lens will). That's my opinion, but the best photographers I know all read and/or study his stuff intensely. That says something.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Too boring? I took a bunch of other shots at 2am walking through downtown Denver, but my exposure on those was even worse than this.

naturalartnight.jpg

dagookfather on
This discussion has been closed.