• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He's still in school.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jibjab, your stuff is horrible and boring.

Ok I lied, I just thought you were getting too much praise. I don't know how much there is to critique seeing as you've gone down the style path so far, that it's beyond the standard corrections. Keep working on composition, color, blah blah blah and keep recieving praise I guess. ;D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In your last piece with the ship. I'm assuming that the ship is sailing away. This would be improved quite a lot if you had moved the ship more to the right cropping the front of it as it sails out of the frame..

another small thing.. maybe dropping the cloud on the right down a bit so its not perfectly level with the other cloud would improve the composition as well.

That being said I enjoy your work quite a bit.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shiboe wrote: »

Ok I lied, I just thought you were getting too much praise. I don't know how much there is to critique seeing as you've gone down the style path so far, that it's beyond the standard corrections. Keep working on composition, color, blah blah blah and keep recieving praise I guess. ;D

Well I suppose theres alot of praise because it would sound rude to voice in your opinion if you don't like a style.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Shiboe wrote: »

Well I suppose theres alot of praise because it would sound rude to voice in your opinion if you don't like a style.

I have to admit, I wish his lines weren't so wobbly all the time. They really add life into scenes but, to me, they seem out of place in the more building based drawings.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am the only one who thinks that the goats in that picture are super cute? They are poking their heads under the fence!

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    jibjibjibjib Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    new ones today
    missingbig.jpg
    childrenbig.jpg

and i re-did my website again. i think it looks more professional this way, but I'd love some feedback. It's sparse, i know, ill add some things to it.
    http://www.graphiteplayground.com

jibjib on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is a wonderful thing. The phone held the wrong way is a great touch, and the lettering looking like another language is a great play on the quote. I can only wish there was more of it. Without a backdrop, it doesn't look like they're really lost and bewildered in the wide world.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Something to make yourself come off more professional is to have an email adress that is not gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc. In your case Jim@graphiteplayground.com or whatever. You can always just have it forward to your gmail account. Ive fucked up and emailed from my gmail account confusing some people but only a few times. I would also put your contact information on the bottom of the portfolio page as well. You should make the email into a mailto hot link as well. Pretty much anything you can do to it easier for a potential client the better.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Something to make yourself come off more professional is to have an email adress that is not gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc. In your case Jim@graphiteplayground.com or whatever. You can always just have it forward to your gmail account. Ive fucked up and emailed from my gmail account confusing some people but only a few times. I would also put your contact information on the bottom of the portfolio page as well. You should make the email into a mailto hot link as well. Pretty much anything you can do to it easier for a potential client the better.

While this is somewhat true, gmail and hotmail are actually considered viable e-mail addresses nowadays. Called around when I started applying at ad agencies last year. Pretty much all the ones I talked to said that it honestly didn't matter as long as it wasn't something to the effect of brenda21fabu10us@hotmail.com

But it definitely wouldn't hurt... so I'm agreeing with you to a point.

I also really like the new layout JibJib, my only qualm would probably be: your name seems to get a little lost up top of the site. Edit* Gotta be careful with thin serif fonts on web, don't translate super well.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    thats interesting because fresh out of school I got a couple meetings with Art directors at some fairly distinguished publications.. Rolling stone, NY times OP ed, Field and Stream, Business Week, blah blah,. and I usually asked after each meeting (depending on how freindly they were) some questions about presentation, how they prefered to recieve promotions, if I could improve my website, etc.. Most of the time I didnt even have to ask, they saw I was just getting started and were more than happy to just give me the information.

Every single one suggested getting away from the generic emails.

Jib.. ur not to far from NY if youve got the balls to cold call Art directors at various publications, they will propably meet with you.. Id suggest sending them a sample packet in the mail before calling, provides a talking point to break the ice. Your still in school so dont know if you have the time, but you could defiently be getting jobs right now

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The suggestion about the email makes sense to me, and since it wouldn't be a big deal to change it I probably will, thanks.

The name getting lost up top is indeed a little worrisome, but i feel like if i move the site to jimtierneyart.com or something like that, then perhaps the readability won't pose as much of a problem since visitors will already know my name.

jibjib on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Website looks nice and I really like the head profile posted above. It floats my boat.

That mexican however, is definitely up to no good.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    clipper.jpg
    for those who havent seen it

jibjib on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I saw that one on the site, really nice. Is it colored pencil?

I also laughed because I have two goats at my house and they get escape the fence like every other day.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    jibjib wrote: »
    The suggestion about the email makes sense to me, and since it wouldn't be a big deal to change it I probably will, thanks.

The name getting lost up top is indeed a little worrisome, but i feel like if i move the site to jimtierneyart.com or something like that, then perhaps the readability won't pose as much of a problem since visitors will already know my name.

Gmail is a really great email application though. One option would be to have a professionally named email address just forward your stuff to a Gmail account so you get the best of both worlds. ;D

And I love the lost childrens! (but not in a creepy way)

(crap now it's creepy! retreat!)

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I saw that one on the site, really nice. Is it colored pencil?

I also laughed because I have two goats at my house and they get escape the fence like every other day.

We had goats when i was a kid. They are quite entertaining to watch.
    And it's all watercolor.

jibjib on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The goats are wildly cute. I wanna hug 'em.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    house.jpg
    new panting of my house, a christmas present for my mother

jibjib on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is beautiful.
    She'll love it!

Unless she's a grinch and a terrible person.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I would totally hang out on that roof

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm getting some serious Wes Anderson vibes here. Pretty cool stuff.

(I think you found a very good balance wobbly lines vs straight lines. It isn't lifeless but it also doesn't look structure less)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I'm getting some serious Wes Anderson vibes here. Pretty cool stuff.

(I think you found a very good balance wobbly lines vs straight lines. It isn't lifeless but it also doesn't look structure less)

I actually thought this same exact thing (about Wes Anderson), but some people don't take too kindly to those comparisons. But, for sure.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i really love the "children are all foreigners" one. what gets me most is the way you wrote the signs -- legible if you look hard enough but at a glance, nonsensical, which is how a child would perceive it.

i also love all the browns and blues throughout your art. nicely done.

mully on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    This is a wonderful thing. The phone held the wrong way is a great touch, and the lettering looking like another language is a great play on the quote. I can only wish there was more of it. Without a backdrop, it doesn't look like they're really lost and bewildered in the wide world.

I agree with all but the backdrop part. I almost think the emptiness emphasizes the lostness of the kids, our minds can fill in more in the space than you could ever draw. But at the same time, not having seen what you can fill it up with I could be wrong!

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    From this winter:
    d0802.jpg
    yard.jpg
    couch.jpg
    d0801.jpg
    bell.jpg
    d0806.jpg
    d0803.jpg
    d0804.jpg
    d0807.jpg
    d0808.jpg
    d0809.jpg

Guess I drew more over break than I thought I had :)

jibjib on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fabulash.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Nice drawings.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brilliant JibJib

Keep it coming :)

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    nickcage.jpg

jibjib on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I fucking love Cage. He is the best worst actor of all time.

I think it has something to do with the fact he is completely unaware that hair is missing from the front half of his head.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wonderful crosshatching in that one.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    I fucking love Cage. He is the best worst actor of all time.

I think it has something to do with the fact he is completely unaware that hair is missing from the front half of his head.

To be fair, he's good when he wants to be. I think he just likes sucking while making a ton of money at the same time.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's no being fair when it comes to Nick Cage, his badness voids any memory of Leaving Las Vegas.
    His only true achievment in life is to suck so incredibly much and still manage to make a living from it....it's baffling.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    There's no being fair when it comes to Nick Cage, his badness voids any memory of Leaving Las Vegas.
    His only true achievment in life is to suck so incredibly much and still manage to make a living from it....it's baffling.

but... what about Adaptation?

Nappuccino on

• Options
    AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked him in Family Man (I think it was called?)

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bringing out the dead/adaptation

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey jibjib. Thanks for playing along.

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    He drew the cage man. He had to know we would start talking about bear suits and running through the forest.

wait... we didn't?

Well, we did now!

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Allan wrote: »
    Hey jibjib. Thanks for playing along.

:lol:

Kendeathwalker on