As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour! (Registration Closed!)

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Everyone who's coming to the Boeing Tour should meet at the WSCTC Bus Parking Lot no later than 8:15am.

***IMPORTANT NOTICE***
If you are planning on going to the Pre-PAX Dinner (which is the final official stop on Day 2 of the Magical Mystery Tour), go here and preregister NOW:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=60964

Preregistration will make the difference between the Pre-PAX Dinner happening and not happening, so all MMT goers remotely interested in the dinner should register as soon as humanly possible.

About the Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour!

What you'll need:

* The Wednesday and Thursday before PAX (August 27th and 28th), though just the 27th will be fine if you want to hit in-town destinations.
* Spending money for trinkets/admission into museums/attractions (how much? I'll pull together an estimate if people are interested and once we pull together the complete list of where we'd be going)
* Some good walking shoes
* Fearlessness in the face of carpooling, or being carpooled if you don't have a car

Where We'll Go:

DAY 1

FINAL Driving Directions for Day 1

Everyone who's coming to the Boeing Tour should meet at the WSCTC Bus Parking Lot no later than 8:15am.

9:00am - 10:30am: Boeing Factory Tour
11:00am - 11:30am: Trophy Cupcakes
12:00pm - 1:30pm: Pacific Science Center
2:00pm - 4:30pm: Experience Music Project/Sci-Fi Museum
5:00pm - 6:00pm: Seattle Aquarium
6:00pm: After hours at Gameworks!
?:00pm (9pm?): Hamlet 2

DAY 2

FINAL Driving Directions for Day 2

Everyone who needs a ride (for some reason) to Pike Place Market should meet at the WSCTC Bus Parking Lot no later than 8:30am.
Otherwise, we'll meet you at Pike Place Market. It's close enough to walk even, so it should be okay either way =)

9:00am - 10:00am: Pike Place Market
10:30am - 11:30am: Seattle Library
12:00pm - 1:30pm: Seattle Underground Tour
2:00pm - 3:00pm: CCST Meet-Up/Lunch
3:30pm - 4:30pm: Pioneer Square
4:30pm - Whenever: Pre-PAX Dinner (REGISTER NOW: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=60964)

Current People who have expressed Interest:

IF YOU ARE ON THIS LIST, please specify if you're planning on bringing your car to the Seattle area for PAX. If you are, state the number of seats you'll have available in your car (discounting others that you'll be taking with you by default) if you're willing to drive others.

Drivers:

* Risia - Thursday, with 1 other, 2 free seats
* Ashridah - Wednesday, Thursday, 3 free seats
* eye-shuh - Wednesday, Thursday, 3 free seats

DAY 1 Available Seats: 6
DAY 2 Available Seats: 8

Drivees:

* Blade Fusion - Wednesday, Thursday
* Fishman - Wednesday, Thursday
* jBusy - Wednesday, Thursday
* LewieP - Wednesday, Thursday
* LewiePs Mummy - Wednesday, Thursday
* Mentok1982 - Wednesday (Meeting us @ Aquarium), Thursday
* MetaverseNomad - Thursday
* s7arbuck - Wednesday, Thursday
* Snickers - Wednesday, Thursday
* vthornheart - Wednesday, Thursday
* Hypatia - Thursday (Meeting us @ CCST), with 1 other
* Ravenger - Thursday

DAY 1 Passengers: 10
DAY 2 Passengers: 12

The Important Information:

* WHEN the tourist group will take place
There will be two days for this event, divided by where the destinations are:

* Destinations outside of Downtown Seattle: Wednesday, August 27th (All Day)

* Destinations within Downtown Seattle: Thursday, August 27th (morning to mid afternoon)

* WHERE we'll meet
This has yet to be determined. More than likely we'd either all meet in a central area that drivers and non-drivers can get to easily (like downtown, where public transit can get you there in a pinch).

An alternative idea would be to have the drivers start the morning by picking up designated non-drivers from their hotels and bringing them to the first destination, but this has all yet to be discussed.

* HOW we'll get there
This has yet to be determined. Carpooling is the most obvious choice, with Public Transit being almost desirable (though possibly not practical for reaching areas outside of Seattle).

More than likely, we will end up carpooling: which means non-drivers should be prepared to share gas cost with drivers. We'll organize that as it gets closer.

* WHAT places we're going to
See above for the current list of possible locations.

* HOW MUCH will all of the activities cost?
I'll compile that information once we have a firm list of where we all want to go.

If we went to all of the current intended destinations (which we won't be, we have to drop some from the list of course), then without a Multi-destination pass it would cost one person $124 not counting gas (or bus fees if needed), food, merchandise, and parking.

When location voting begins, one should take the price of the location into account (if that is a factor for you). To ease this, the google map of locations lists the entry fee for each location as well as the address and website.

The multi-destination passes (such as GO Seattle and CityPass) will help to aleviate this cost, as will the pairing down of actual destinations (as we couldn't possibly hit all of our intended destinations in one and a half days). Expect the final cost to be less expensive, but remember to account for your own food/gas/parking/bus fees.

* HOW DO I JOIN?
PM me if you want to be added to the list of people interested in going on the tourist group. Include whether or not you have a car that you'd be willing to use in the carpool, and how many people you can seat. If you won't have a car with you, be sure to tell me that too.

Prices and Multi-Pass Comparisons

* Day 1
- Boeing Factory Tour: $15.00
- Call +18004641476 to make reservations
- Or go online at https://fof.displayware.com/public
- Apparently it's a VERY good idea to call and make reservations or go online... everyone will need to do that
individually.
- Everyone should sign up for Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 9:00am tour.
- Pacific Science Center: $11.00 (Exhibit only)
- EMP|Sci Fi Museum: $15.00
- Seattle Aquarium: $15.00

* Day 2
- Seattle Underground Tour ($15.00, but only if we have to hire that tour guide guy, which looks like we don't have to! Woot! =) )

* CityPass
- Seattle Aquarium $15
- Pacific Science Center $15
- EMP|Sci Fi Museum $15
- TOTAL WITHOUT: $45
- TOTAL WITH: $44
- SAVINGS: $1
- EXTRAS: Apparently you get coupons and such, but they don't specify to what
- http://www.citypass.com/city/seattle.html?id=97kBdDzj
-VERDICT: Probably not worth it

* Go Seattle Card
- Boeing Factory Tour: $15
- Pacific Science Center $15
- EMP|Sci Fi Museum $15
- TOTAL WITHOUT: $45
- TOTAL WITH: $54.99
- SAVINGS: -$9.99
- EXTRAS: Many, many, MANY more places free (but we wouldn't have time to go to them on the
one day pass)
- http://store.smartdestinations.com/g...cardGoSEA.html
-VERDICT: Definitely not worth it.

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Woot! What with the tour, the dinner, and the bar crawl, this may well be a dangerously epic day!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Although I'm not going on the tour, I'm voting for what I would recommend as a 3rd generation local.

I vote against gameworks because it's across the street for chrissake and you can go there anytime.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ah! See, this is good info, I didn't even realize that =)

And definitely, anyone (even if you're not going on the tour) who has good insight about what'd be good and what'd suck is more than welcome to vote! So bring it on! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Voted. And agreed, Gameworks is like, RIGHT there. Probably going to be there multiple times during the weekend as it is!

Snickers on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Me and LewieP will probably need a ride, from some kind soul, unless a) my right hand is functioning enough to drive (which it should be, by then) and b) we need more drivers, in which case, I'm happy to hire a car for the day and split the costs with passengers. I've seen the thread about Seattle traffic, but I happily drive through Central London, it can't be worse than there, surely?

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No worries! It seems to me like we should have enough slots available, should be good either way... I think. I'll have to calculate all that out. =)

I imagine traffic is much more forgiving here, from what I've heard of London. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ~1 week left in voting! Place your vote for in-town locations for day 2 while you can!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i though i said something eariler, but.....

so me plus one riding......

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ahh! I had totally forgotten, sorry about that s7arbuck! I fixed you up on the list there. =)

One week left for voting! Get yer votes in now! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Um, also can you change "will_cut_grass_for_rupees" to "metaversenomad" please? The former must be laid to rest!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh! i remember doing that... I wonder if when I pasted the content in for the new thread, I pasted an old version of the first post in or something. Wierd... lemme do that now.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Just giving this a bump, keep it in circulation.

Also, VThorn, the section where you list the round one poll winners, and are going to list the round two winners, the formatting must be wrong, because it just lists the format bracketing, and doesn't actually format the text. :p Just FYI.

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ah, I screwed that up... I'll fix that tomorrow, I'm exhausted tonight. =) Just got back from a couple of days out of town. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ah, I screwed that up... I'll fix that tomorrow, I'm exhausted tonight. =) Just got back from a couple of days out of town. =)

No worries, just remembered it when I was posting, so I figured it was as good a time as any to throw it out there!

Just don't ever let it happen again. Or else! :P

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright! The results are in! From highest ranked to lowest, here's the ratings for day 2:

Pre-PAX Dinner
    Seattle Underground Tour
    Pike Place Market
    Seattle Aquarium
    Seattle Library
    Pioneer Square
    Gameworks
    Seattle Art Museum
    Columbia Tower
    Argosy Harbor Cruise

Thank you for voting, everyone! I'm going to spend some time this coming weekend to try and use the results of this vote as well as the other one to come up with a preliminary itinerary. So stay tuned!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wooooooooooo, I'm so looking forward to this!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    This is probably going to be one of the better highlights of PAX for me! I can't WAIT! Can someone fast forward time and make it August already?

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Woot, I'm glad people are looking forward to it! I've got to get off my butt and start planning the specific itinerary. I'll be getting to it next weekend for sure. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Keep us updated, and let us know if you need any help!

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to Glastonbury in less than 3 weeks, I'me much, much more excited about coming to PAX and meeting you all, and normally, Glasto is my high spot of the year!

Will anyone be around on the Tuesday evening - me and LewieP arrive at SeaTac just after 5:00 p.m., yes, we'll be a bit knacked, but it would be fun to meet up for drinks with anyone.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Woot! It's going to be fun! =) We'll be in town, so as long as the Mrs. is up for it I'm down for meeting!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, I'm going to be taking Wednesday through Friday off, so I'll be free after I get off work, which is going to be somewhere between 4 and 5. Of course I may be changing jobs, but I'll still be taking that time off. So I'd be up for it!

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Top stuff!
    OK I know that sound British, it would have been even worse/better if I'd written "Top Hole, chaps", but I couldn't bring myself to do that!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Top stuff!
    OK I know that sound British, it would have been even worse/better if I'd written "Top Hole, chaps", but I couldn't bring myself to do that!

Top Gear? :P Sorry, I must amuse myself As Time Goes By. This Coupling that I'm waiting for hasn't arrived yet... ok, I'm done now.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Just FYI, I got my Seattle Tourist packet thing today. I'll probably flip through it tonight, see what all is in there.

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Woot! Yeah, the maroon one is the one with all the discounts in it. It's very nice! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Bah. =( It looks like the inevitable fact of me having to find another job is going to be an issue after all. I'll help out as much as I can with planning if people still want to do the Magical Mystery Tour, but I'm apparently going to have to pull a "cut and run" from PAX. =( My wife and I sat down yesterday to calculate how much money we'd have for a move with and without the PAX trip. We just won't be able to pull it off.... and after the week I've had at work, I don't think there's going to be a miracle come from behind victory for my company.

I'm sorry that I'm bailing on you guys... I'll still be on the forum, and I'll help to plan the itinerary and organize the trip if it'll help. I wish I could've gone, not just because of the tour or PAX itself but because there's so many people I've met in the forums here since I started posting regularly that I'd like to have met. Perhaps if circumstances find me in a better position next year, I'll be able to find myself at PAX.

=( I've got to go break the news to ElectricTurtle now. I was hoping to help volunteer to help out over there as well for the dinner. Bah... hopefully things are going to turn out better for my PAX plans next year. All I need is a stable job, a place to live, and some time off in August. Sadly, this August the first two seem too unlikely now for me to take the risk by going to PAX. =( Indeed, it is a festival of suck. =(

Anyways, I'll post some itinerary plans this weekend... I'm going to try and keep planning this as if I were going, so that hopefully it'll go smoothly. What we need, if anyone's up for it, is for someone to be willing to take over the actual "during event" festivities (and if you'd like to take over the itinerary planning and pre-organizing, you're welcome to it as well if it's the kind of thing you dig... but I'll be here in the forum at least, so I can help with that if you'd rather just to the actual event).

Anyways, I'll post again tomorrow with some preliminary plans... anyone who's up for the task, PM me or post here.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Well there is lots of time to recover and push forward.

I got all touristy in Seattle in May and, while I realize the people have voted, the Space Needle/EMP/Sci-Fi Museum was a complete and total waste of time and money.

And SavourSeattle does a GREAT food/history tour of Pike Place Market

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Well there is lots of time to recover and push forward.

I got all touristy in Seattle in May and, while I realize the people have voted, the Space Needle/EMP/Sci-Fi Museum was a complete and total waste of time and money.

And SavourSeattle does a GREAT food/history tour of Pike Place Market

I remember going to the Space Needle after PAX last year, and it being a huge waste of money except for the random chance that Darth Vader was there. (I'm not joking either...)

66.jpg

I wondered about the EMP and Sci-Fi and I'm actually sorry that those are on par with the Space Needle.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    On the subject of EMP/Sci-Fi and Space Needle:

Ack... you guys should've mentioned this like a month ago!
    We gave a "last call" and did voting a month ago. Sorry, but unless everyone agrees I'd be hard pressed to change the schedule. However, if it helps some people said that EMP/Sci-Fi was worth going to for sure in earlier posts... perhaps it's in the eye of the beholder.

On the subject of itineraries:

The following is a tentative idea for the tour's itinerary. I tried to cram as many events as I thought could fit in the day. Some of these estimates may not be realistic in practice: just let me know, and I can modify them as needed. I tried to plot out the path as optimally as possible while still hitting all of the most popular spots picked.

Without further ado, here's the itinerary:

DAY 1
    Proposed Driving Directions for Day 1

9:00am - 10:00am: Boeing Factory Tour
    11:00am - 11:30am: Trophy Cupcakes
    12:00pm - 1:00pm: Pacific Science Center
    1:30pm - 2:00pm: Space Needle
    2:30pm - 4:30pm: Experience Music Project/Sci-Fi Museum
    5:00pm - 6:00pm: Seattle Aquarium

DAY 2

Proposed Driving Directions for Day 2

9:00am - 10:00am: Pike Place Market
    10:30am - 11:30am: Seattle Library
    12:00am - 1:00pm: Pioneer Square
    1:30pm - 2:30pm: Seattle Underground Tour
    3:00pm - 4:00pm: Seattle Aquarium
    4:30pm - Whenever: Pre-PAX Dinner (Location TBA)

Let me know if any modifications should be made!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sorry VT, but I'm doing the CCST, so I didn't pay that much attention to the thread until today.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh, no worries! Well, we'll see given this new information what people think.

So... what do you guys think? Is the Space Needle and/or EXP/Sci-Fi Museum still worth going to given this information? If I was going, I'd say that at least I'd like to see the EXP/Sci-Fi Museum... but since I'm no longer going, I shouldn't have much of a say in that part. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And I appear again out of the mist! No, but really, I've been away visiting family most this week, back now though.

Sorry to hear things turned out for the worst VThorn! I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say thanks for helping as much as you have, and it's not going to be the same without you there!

On the subject of the Space Needle and EMP/Sci-Fi Museum, I would say the Space Needle is really not one thats worth visiting. From all the accounts I've heard, on the forums and from friends here, its expensive crappy food, and the view is not worth the expense. The EMP/Sci-Fi Museum on the other hand I've heard good and bad things. I think you have it right VThorn, I think they would be in the eye of the beholder.

I vote to skip the Space Needle, and keep the EMP/Sci-Fi Museum on the tour.

Snickers on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It would feel like going to Paris and missing the Eiffel Tower! Well, maybe not that bad, but almost every image i see of Seattle has the Space Needle in it! I've heard from other peeps that the food is expensive, so maybe if the consensus is we don't go there, I'll drag Lewie up it on the tuesday evening - we arrive Tuesday late afternoon.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Mayhaps we should re-vote on this issue? I'll talk to Moe after work.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, Experience Music Project was the best part. It had some neat elements, and someone really into the Pacific Northwest music scene would find more value than I did. It was ok.

Of course the Sci-fi museum is then free so, hey, what the hell. But I would not bother going if my priority was Sci-fi over music, it was cheesy and small. Well done, but cheesy and small.

The Space Needle can just be avoided even if you are in the neighbourhood. Its not mandatory or anything. Honestly the view from the ground around Pike Place Market pleased me just as much.

The monorail ride from downtown was kind of fun, and makes for an easy round trip at least.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aye, something tells me Sci-Fi/EXP will be on the docket... ah, I just had a good idea.

Who on the trip voted for the Needle? If you voted, let us know here if you're still interested given the info above. If no one's really into it/can do it outside of the Pre-PAX tour, we can skip it.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    VT nooooo! I'm sorry you won't be able to make it this year!!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aye, I'm sorry too... =( It sucks a lot... but it'll be for the best in the long run. I'm going to try to make it to the next PAX if at all possible though... and I'll still be here to help with Mystery Tour planning (though we'll need someone who's still going to be an "on the spot" leader... or if they want, they could choose to take over planning duties as well... but we at least need someone who'll be there so they can do things like make sure everyone gets picked up who needs a ride, coordinate cars at the location to make sure no one gets lost, and such.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    BTW you might update the dinner information and make sure to make it clear that people must preregister to be involved.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
This discussion has been closed.