As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know of a good tutorial for a tard trying to get his head around illustrator when he's stuck with a photoshop brain?
    I'm the tard

Mustang on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    whooo

With how most search engines work, higher rank means more sites link to it, which is a decent (though imperfect) way of telling how good a site is.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I don't believe I asked for a fucking google search.

Something aimed at photoshop users moving to illustrator.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Yeah I don't believe I asked for a fucking google search.

Something aimed at photoshop users moving to illustrator.

This right here? Completely uncalled for.

I told you how I find tutorials, and it works for me. I can't go through the results for you since I don't use illustrator, but it at least points you in a good direction.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Apologies MKR, I thought you were impuning my intelligence.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Don't worry about it. That's something I rarely have a need to do, and certainly not on the sort of people who frequent these forums. :D

MKR on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good tutorial for a tard trying to get his head around illustrator when he's stuck with a photoshop brain?
    I'm the tard

huh? photoshop and illustrator use many of the same tools. i made the jump earlier this week and it's not a huge deal.

however, if you find yourself stuck, i recommend getting an 'illustrator for dummies' book. they're usually very well-written and an excellent primer. but i can't speak to the illustrator one in particular.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    huh? photoshop and illustrator use many of the same tools. i made the jump earlier this week and it's not a huge deal.

I didn't find that at all. I think I'm being a bit impatient with it though, I really just need to sit down and have a play around without having an agenda in mind. I just have very little time with my home kit that I want things to work straight away because I just don't have the time to f*ck around with stuff.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    actually, what i found to be helpful was to have a task in mind and then google for an answer to that question. for instance, i wanted to make ink splatters so i searched 'ink splatters illustrator cs3' and came up with around six great tutorials

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    natratnatrat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm looking into getting into painting some computer cases. Any tips on what kinds of spraypaint I should be using on this? Or maybe even some hand painting instead of stencilling everything? (I don't even know if I'd be able to hand paint a case). I don't want anything to catch on fire when things get hot.

natrat on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I feel really stupid asking this, but can I buy a mac OS and install it on a custom built computer? I don't feel like buying a $3,000 G5 if I can build it for $1,000. I mean... it's the same hardware, right?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's the same stuff (other than the BIOS), but you won't convince Apple of that. Mac OS has to go on a mac, or you're breaking their laws.

MKR on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For the nth time, I drew on the background.

Is there a way to 'lift' anything drawn on the background off into another layer? My BG is a white canvas, if that helps.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    It's the same stuff (other than the BIOS), but you won't convince Apple of that. Mac OS has to go on a mac, or you're breaking their laws.

Really? I didn't know they had anything against custom builders putting the OS on their computers. I just had a friend recently do it, is it really "breaking their laws."? Or do you just mean that they recommend you don't do it... or possibly both?

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    MKR wrote: »

Really? I didn't know they had anything against custom builders putting the OS on their computers. I just had a friend recently do it, is it really "breaking their laws."? Or do you just mean that they recommend you don't do it... or possibly both?

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html
    2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
    A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

Whether or not EULAs are enforceable is another matter.

MKR on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    I feel really stupid asking this, but can I buy a mac OS and install it on a custom built computer? I don't feel like buying a $3,000 G5 if I can build it for $1,000. I mean... it's the same hardware, right?

Just buy a macbook. You can get one for $1000 and just plug in a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

bombardier on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    bombardier wrote: »

Just buy a macbook. You can get one for $1000 and just plug in a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

he wants a high spec desktop built for low cost to run a mac OS...buying an overpriced laptop with low specs (if you're comparing it to a custom build equal to a 3k g5...) attached to a monitor isn't really a solution...

XAL on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    The laptops are pretty powerful and they're not very overpriced compared to equivalent quality PC laptops. I doubt he'd need more power than what you get in a macbook. You can't build custom hardware and run OS X on it so those are his only options. There are hackjob boxes but they're horribly unsupported and shady in the legal area as well.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    In reality, I just want to build a computer.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    TheJacksTheJacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I need some help getting my tablet working. I got a new laptop and it came with vista, dunno if anyone here has the same exact thing but every time I press down with the pen the annoying vista circle thing pops up and when I'm trying to make strokes in photoshop it gets all laggy and it makes the strokes choppy. Is there an option to make that go away?

Also, I forgot where the option is in photoshop to change pressure sensitivity into making the strokes go from wider to skinnier.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

TheJacks on
  • Options
    KunkohKunkoh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Toaster, you're talking about a Hackintosh - http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800-321913.php

Yes, it's possible and you'll have a MUCH more powerful computer than if you just buy a macbook. The thing to remember is a laptop is overpriced compared to a desktop, and a mac is overpriced compared to a PC (though not as bad as it used to be).

BUT, as already mentioned there are EULA problems. Mac OS is only supposed to be used on a Apple Built computer; so if there are problems you are SOL for company support. (I'm not sure how they get away with this, when I'm sure everyone and their mother would sue MS if they did it!)

As an aside, Vista w/ SP1 is very nice. I have a Macbook at home, a mini at work; and PC's at both home & work. The Home PC's I built myself & have Vista SP1 on one & XP SP2 on the other. I prefer using my Vista machine (not just because it's the most powerful or newest; the macbook is newer). I had only ONE issue with Vista 64bit; and that was with iTunes which didn't support it for ~ 6 months. That's the only issue I've had. (it even runs Fallout from '96 with no problems). I've had my Mini & Macbook lock up more often than Vista SP1. (often being like 2x... which isn't often, but Zero is still better).

- as to the price/overprice.
    Basic Macbook - $1099 - 2.1GHZ, 1GB Ram, 120 GB HDD
    Dell XPS M1530 - $999 - 2.0GHZ, 2GB Ram, 160 GB HDD, geForce 8400 128MB

The Dell seems to have more bang for the buck -2x the ram, larger HDD & a vid card. So it's really about which OS you prefer. And arguing OS is like arguing religion or politics.

Kunkoh on
  • Options
    lifeartistlifeartist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm in need of getting a good scanner, and am looking for one within $100-200.

I'm hoping to scan some watercolors, and lineart, any suggestions? Oh and it needs to work with a mac.

lifeartist on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    lifeartist wrote: »

I'm hoping to scan some watercolors, and lineart, any suggestions? Oh and it needs to work with a mac.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP507LL/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

This is similar to the one I have. Mine works extremely well.

I'll get the exact model number of mine when I get home.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    In reality, I just want to build a computer.

If your open to just buying the computer instead of building it, I would suggest a Mac Mini.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    For the nth time, I drew on the background.

Is there a way to 'lift' anything drawn on the background off into another layer? My BG is a white canvas, if that helps.

Could you duplicate the layer and just erase the things you don't want? Is this in Photoshop?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    KunkohKunkoh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    NibCrom wrote: »

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TP507LL/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

This is similar to the one I have. Mine works extremely well.

I'll get the exact model number of mine when I get home.
    I would never buy directly from the apple store. It's usually $10-20+ more expensive than other stores. You can get the same canon model from newegg.com for $20 less

Kunkoh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

My current scanner is a Canon CanoScan 8400F. Scans line art extremely well. Works with my Mac.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, my Wacom isn't remembering my settings. I have to reapply functions, orientations, and everything every time I reboot. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but that hasn't worked. HALPZ!

Tam on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Does anyone know of any Galleries/Schools/Someones basement that offer cheap figure drawing sessions in the Boston area. Hell, in Massachusetts? You could even omit the cheap.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This might help. You can go to the search which found it here.

MKR on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How do you upload flash videos onto the web?

I'm a total flash incompetent.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm using a Wacom Intuous 3 with Photoshop CS3 and Painter X, and neither of the programs are recognizing my pressure settings for my pen...

Inside the Wacom settings program thingamajig the pressure settings work perfectly in the sample draw box, but when I use the programs mentioned above the pen basically acts as a mouse (and the eraser function doesn't work either).

I re-installed the latest driver and rebooted my computer several times and checked to see if the brushes were set to pen pressure (they were) but nothing has worked so far...HALP!

XAL on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How do I make brushes in PS Elements 6 not be ugly and bumpy? I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to turn on anti-aliasing, but no search query seems to bring about the answer for how to do that. :(

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Is it pixelated or just bumpy? If it's not pixelated then anti-aliasing is already on.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's bumpy. If I use a big canvas then resample it down, the bumpiness isn't there, which is what I do in GIMP for the same reason. I figured PS had some way to make brushes paint smoothly. D:

MKR on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Naw, you just have to paint quick lines for smoothness, which is a challenge and down right infuriating when your doing details.

I'm really hoping they bring out some kind of vectoring tool for future PS releases

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    apparently the super fucked up settings only applied to the particular usb port i had my tablet plugged in to...

XAL on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I've finally nutted out how that pen tool works in PS......I like!

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Now you're ready to tackle Illustrator!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i think creating paths was the key for my finally being able to use illustrator and photoshop to make things instead of modifying existing things.

pen tools: IMPORTANT

especially if you want to type on an angle.

Orikaeshigitae on
This discussion has been closed.