As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First Fatal Frame IV screens.

124»

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    So dark. Ugh.

SO DAAAAAAAAAAARK!
    o_O It's...it's a horror game chiefly concerned with...ghosts. How else should it look?

You know it's funny, but I always liked the looked of the original resident evil because how bright it was. There was something disturbing about having zombies in a fully lit room.
    Fair enough, but ghosts, people.

I assume he's referring to the pitiful cries of the mask ghost in FF1? The one who got staked through the eyes?

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ChtulieChtulie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    With everyone comparing last gen's horror greats Fatal Frame/Project Zero, Silent Hill and Resident Evil, is there no love for the Forbidden Siren games? The horror game where (one of the) point(s) was to not confront the monsters at all but try and remain unseen by them. Where the big gimmick was being able to see what the monster was seeing .. and what he is looking at now .. can't quite make it out .. oh he's moving closer ..
    it's someone from behindOH MY GOD THAT'S ME!

Chtulie on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, this is coming out on the Wii? That's awesome, especially for controls if they use wiimote pointing. I have FF1 and enjoyed what I played of it, but it never got to me like Silent Hill and I either lost interest or started playing something else.

Are they making the controls any better for this game? I appreciate being a young female tank, but I don't think it's necessary for scariness.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I may be misremembering, but I thought Fatal Frame 2 added the option for old-style "2d controls" (move up/down/left/right relative to the screen) while in" field mode" (3rd-person walking/exploring).

Upon checking the manual I'm reminded that you could actually play the game in "FPS mode" which actually made the entire game first-person. I think this was an addition to the Xbox Crimson Butterfly Director's Cut. I'm not so sure I'm correct in the paragraph above :/

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awesome. I've always wanted to play the Fatal Frame games but never owned any of the platforms that they were on.

Day 1 purchase.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Awesome. I've always wanted to play the Fatal Frame games but never owned any of the platforms that they were on.

Day 1 purchase.

Both Fatal Frame I and II were available on the Xbox and are on the BC listing as working. Just saying... ;)

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gyral wrote: »

Day 1 purchase.

Both Fatal Frame I and II were available on the Xbox and are on the BC listing as working. Just saying... ;)

Okay, well if I ever come across them I'll pick them up. Although with OxBox games nonexistant in stores I can't imagine this happening.

For that matter I've never played any of the Silent Hill games. Or any of the Resident Evil games outside of Deadly Silence on the DS and RE4 on the GC.

It comes from not owning consoles that the horror games are on.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Day 1 purchase.

Okay, well if I ever come across them I'll pick them up. Although with OxBox games nonexistant in stores I can't imagine this happening.

For that matter I've never played any of the Silent Hill games. Or any of the Resident Evil games outside of Deadly Silence on the DS and RE4 on the GC.

Surprisingly, the Gamecube actually did have a lot of horror games. Capcom ported RE2, RE3 and Code Veronica over and did RE Zero and a remake of the first Resident Evil. And then Silicon Knights did Eternal Darkness, which was damn good.

On the Xbox side, you also had Silent Hill 2 and 4. But, as you said, finding some of these games may be a bitch now.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Day 1 purchase.

Surprisingly, the Gamecube actually did have a lot of horror games. Capcom ported RE2, RE3 and Code Veronica over and did RE Zero and a remake of the first Resident Evil. And then Silicon Knights did Eternal Darkness, which was damn good.

On the Xbox side, you also had Silent Hill 2 and 4. But, as you said, finding some of these games may be a bitch now.

Well I never had an Xbox, only a 360.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fatal Frame is hard to find ANYWHERE. Used copies easily go for 20-30$ on ebay

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The "long hair over the face" woman is called the Maiden Ghost in Korea. She's a cautionary tale about women dying before they could bare offspring (or something). It's a pretty fucked up part of Asian culture.

I teach in a school and love to tell kids about monsters for Halloween. Half the girls dress up like princesses, the other half do the long hair ghost routine. Everyone finds it scary here whenever a little girl just leans their chin down and stares.

"Juon" (the Grudge in the USA), The Ring, which is Japanese, and "A Tale of Two Sisters", which is Korean, both feature freaky long haired girls seeking revenge. Does "The Eye", which is Chinese, have the same thing?

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Torgo wrote: »
    The "long hair over the face" woman is called the Maiden Ghost in Korea. She's a cautionary tale about women dying before they could bare offspring (or something). It's a pretty fucked up part of Asian culture.

I teach in a school and love to tell kids about monsters for Halloween. Half the girls dress up like princesses, the other half do the long hair ghost routine. Everyone finds it scary here whenever a little girl just leans their chin down and stares.

"Juon" (the Grudge in the USA), The Ring, which is Japanese, and "A Tale of Two Sisters", which is Korean, both feature freaky long haired girls seeking revenge. Does "The Eye", which is Chinese, have the same thing?

The Eye doesn't, really. The ghosts in it just look like dead people.
    Dark Water has the long-haired motif, though.

That said, the first film to feature the image was Kwaidan, which is much, much older.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy shit! Fuck that second to last picture in the OP. Seriously, The Grudge wasn't THAT scary, but it still creeped me the fuck out.
    I will not be getting this game just because of that screen.
    D:

Plus, I still have the first and second games. My friend and I back in high school played a total of five minutes of the first game and shut it off. Haha. I am now 22 and am still scared of this shit (especially that screen in the original post).

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Trevor wrote: »
    I do not want to derail this thread, but I find people seeing things like that fascinating.

This has just become the Official Fatal Frame IV/ghost story/albino story thread. :D

I saw an albino asian girl the other day. It was pretty amazing. White hair/skin/eyes. Looked like something out of Stormriders or some crap. Had to pretend to walk back the other way so I could check it out again. Not in a rude way or anything, it was just incredibly fascinating.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Upon checking the manual I'm reminded that you could actually play the game in "FPS mode" which actually made the entire game first-person. I think this was an addition to the Xbox Crimson Butterfly Director's Cut. I'm not so sure I'm correct in the paragraph above :/
    That's ... that's the edition I've got. And FF1 is already scaring the piss out of me even only in chapter 2. And I know I won't be able to resist using that mode when/if I hit FF2. D:

We need a bigger D: for things like this.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Due to this thread, I've been watching a runthrough of FF1 for the past few hours (on and off between posting and flipping through the D&D 4th edition PHB).

Man, is there ever a lot of backtracking in this game.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Due to this thread, I've been watching a runthrough of FF1 for the past few hours (on and off between posting and flipping through the D&D 4th edition PHB).

Man, is there ever a lot of backtracking in this game.

Survival horror, it's like Metroid only you don't get the power to fly or run through walls.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I know it's par for the course in the genre (particularly early offerings from it) but it's like they said to themselves "Y'know what'd be great? If we had like 9 hours of gameplay take place in an area the size of your average 3 bedroom house".

Edit: also, tk tk tk tk tk tk tk tk tk tk tk

Forget the ghosts, that sound will haunt my nightmares forever.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I played the first FF on Xbox years ago. It was scary as hell, but I stopped playing the second night when you had to fight a ghost in that little courtyard. Fucker grabbed me, I shook him free, and then proceeded to run around the courtyard for five minutes with him literally two feet behind me. It was literally impossible for me to stop, turn around, and take a picture because he would catch me and kill me. That was cheap and fucking lazy, and I've never touched the series since.

Which is too bad, because it really is scary as fuck. But that bullshit just pissed me off so much.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played the first FF on Xbox years ago. It was scary as hell, but I stopped playing the second night when you had to fight a ghost in that little courtyard. Fucker grabbed me, I shook him free, and then proceeded to run around the courtyard for five minutes with him literally two feet behind me. It was literally impossible for me to stop, turn around, and take a picture because he would catch me and kill me. That was cheap and fucking lazy, and I've never touched the series since.

Which is too bad, because it really is scary as fuck. But that bullshit just pissed me off so much.

Or maybe you were too scared to finish.
    :winky:
    :lol:
    D:

Fuck these games for being scary.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Chtulie wrote: »
    With everyone comparing last gen's horror greats Fatal Frame/Project Zero, Silent Hill and Resident Evil, is there no love for the Forbidden Siren games? The horror game where (one of the) point(s) was to not confront the monsters at all but try and remain unseen by them. Where the big gimmick was being able to see what the monster was seeing .. and what he is looking at now .. can't quite make it out .. oh he's moving closer ..
    it's someone from behindOH MY GOD THAT'S ME!

Siren was a disappointment, I rented it from Gameflys and played it for a few hours. The sneak mechanics were so bad they couldn't hold up the awesome premise of the game.

Give me those spooky thief levels any day, the cathedral or the CRADLE.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've only played 1 & 2 and I loved them, but I haven't played them all the way through.

I took #1 over to my best mate's one day, so he could play it. In the middle of the day, daylight streaming through the window, he played for about twenty minutes, sets the controller down gently, gets up, breathes deep and says "I'm done. I can't play anymore."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I actually pulled out Fatal Frame 1 today and played it again. I gotta be honest, the game doesn't do much for me in terms of horror. The music is really heavy handed and there are too many little in game cut scenes that take me out of the game. Also the fake that you can kill ghosts with your camera in it, kinda makes the whole ghost premise alot less scary.

That being said, I still am looking forward to the 4 on the wii. One of the few 3rd party games that has a chance of doing something cool with the controller.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    okay, anybody freaked out by that picture click this, that picture will never freak you out again:
    ohhaigaiswh128573793978594747.jpg

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Greeper wrote: »
    okay, anybody freaked out by that picture click this, that picture will never freak you out again:
    ohhaigaiswh128573793978594747.jpg

Nope, still kinda freaky.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    New Japanese trailer and commercials about the halfway point for Fatal Frame IV:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3qkjwZmYqyQ

The trailer is great, but the commercials are really really hilarious.

Hopefully they'll do the same for the American commercials - this type of commercials is much more effective than any trailer for horror games. :D

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    awesome.

some part of me can't help but ask though, why the hell is that girl still playing if its clearly scarring her for life

Guek on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Probably one of those screening/testing type promotion - you get paid or get a prize to do this.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    This is looking more and more promising, and it was not exactly unpromising to start with.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hahah, that lady's behaviour! :lol:

Also Peas, I dunno what you're thinking about, but given that it seems to involve a screaming lady, that's creepy.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Arde wrote: »
    Probably one of those screening/testing type promotion - you get paid or get a prize to do this.

the prize being therapy?

Guek on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    Arde wrote: »

the prize being therapy?

Each time this thread surfaces to the front page, I recall my traumatizing experience watching others play FF2.

Therapy may be necessary

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm really looking forward to FF4. I consider the first FF to be the scariest game I've ever played. Scary enough that I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Here I am years later and feeling brave enough to take on a new FF, but we'll see how long that lasts.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197