Options

Reading is DEAD! Amazon Kindles the book burning

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This intrigues me, but I doubt there'll be any support for down-under any time soon. Is the Sony Reader the only really viable alternative to this? What's the deal for anyone living outside of the States? I think I could actually do with some sort of digital reader. But I'd like to know that I'd have access to a vast array of novels for download first.

exis on
  • Options
    MorithainMorithain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My favorite part of Amazon's Kindle "intro video" is the whole:
    The battery lasts for days! Read War & Peace in a single charge!

No...wipe that smirk of your face. Read it in a single charge. If you do it in two charges, we'll clip your dick off.

Morithain on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want to want the Kindle but I simply cannot bring myself to do so. There's a lot of long term concerns with them that tend to get swept under the rug because they have a lot of other cool features.
    • The Whispernet service is backed by Sprint's EVDO network but Sprint isn't exactly in a great financial situation. If Sprint were to go into bankruptcy protection they might have to drop deals like Whispernet and if Amazon wasn't able to sign of Verizon as a replacement the existing Kindles will have no wireless access. This is sort of a worst-case scenario and Whispernet might be one of the few deals Sprint's made lately that does actually make money. Thinking "free for life" is somehow guaranteed is a bit naive.
    • There's no guarantee that features in the "Experimental" section will become permanent or even stick around very long. If Kindles eat up too much bandwidth with general purpose browsing Sprint might shut such a service down.
    • So far I haven't seen anyone find a hole in Amazon's eBook DRM. I'm slightly more concerned about my books having DRM than I am music and at least with iTunes I can burn an audio CD of any DRM tracks.
    • The selection of magazines and newspapers is not impressive nor is the stripping of images from magazines like The Atlantic. The prices for magazines and newspapers is not bad but they need to offer the same experience as their paper counterparts. I don't want just story copy with a boldface header, I want the pictures and charts and the like. Obviously some pictures and charts will look ugly in greyscale but that's no reason to leave them out entirely.
    While none of these are necessarily show stoppers right this second they may be in the future. I don't want to pay $360 for a kindle plus however much for books and magazines only to have the service discontinued after a year or Amazon simply drop support for the device if it doesn't pan out.

Long term concerns aside I think the idea of the Kindle is fantastic. It's implementation isn't perfect but it's not an abject failure or anything. I think if a company could pull off a successful eBook reader it would be Amazon. They have the back-end infrastructure and pull with publishers to get desirable content in a timely fashion and for a decent price. Sony's eBook store and Mobipocket have a fraction of Amazon's selection and far higher prices in most cases. Besides price the major hurdle for eBook readers is content, no one has hundreds or thousands of eBooks sitting on their PC's hard drive just waiting to make them portable.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    The Iliad looks pretty good too. Runs Linux, has a touchscreen, and reads Mobipocket books. Very expensive though.

The Kindle runs Linux as well, and reads Mobipocket, but I'll hold off on my big huge spiel until I actually get mine in a week.
    exis wrote: »
    This intrigues me, but I doubt there'll be any support for down-under any time soon. Is the Sony Reader the only really viable alternative to this? What's the deal for anyone living outside of the States? I think I could actually do with some sort of digital reader. But I'd like to know that I'd have access to a vast array of novels for download first.

And Exis, I'm currently in India for med school, but I'm going back home in a week, so no Wispernet for me, BUT you can apparently download Kindle titles and then load them to it through amazon, just have to hardwire the connection.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Argh, I really don't want or need this. Really. Stop trying to convince myself, me.

Just... tell me I can't upload my own .PDF's onto this. That would be a dealbreaker, which I need at this point.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Argh, I really don't want or need this. Really. Stop trying to convince myself, me.

Just... tell me I can't upload my own .PDF's onto this. That would be a dealbreaker, which I need at this point.

Ok. You can't. And that's true, you can't upload PDFs straight over to the Kindle. what you CAN do is download the free Mobipocket Creator and it'll convert the PDFs to Mobipocket files. Or, you can e-mail the files to Amazon, and they'll convert them for you, and you can then download them for free, or Amazon can send them to the Kindle for 10 cents.

So, in conclusion, You can't upload .PDFs to the kindle and have them read it. You have to go through one or two steps. :)

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dragon6860 wrote: »

And Exis, I'm currently in India for med school, but I'm going back home in a week, so no Wispernet for me, BUT you can apparently download Kindle titles and then load them to it through amazon, just have to hardwire the connection.

Yeah, when you hook up the Kindle to your computer it shows it as a USB drive. You can see all the files and directories and drop stuff into it like you would with a flash drive.

This also means that in the future there could be homebrew apps for the Kindle.

edit: Mine should be arriving within the next 4 hours. Give some hands on opinion then.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really want one of these. Though thinking about it I wouldn't use it nearly as often as I think I would, I still really want it because to me, it is neat.

I don't need it, and I can't afford to throw money at it. But boy do I want it.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fedex dropped mine off about an hour ago. Pretty awesome so far, read a couple chapters of a book and quickly adjusted. The "black flash" really isn't a big a deal as some people make it out to be, and it happens just as fast as I could turn a page in a regular book. It's very comfortable to hold, just sat back on the couch with it resting on me. Unlike a regular book you can hold it with one hand and still turn the page.

Tried out the browser which was neat, got my Gmail account up and running on it so it's a few clicks away. Unfortunately I only seem to be getting 1x in my house. 1x is basically when it reverts to 2G speeds in the absence of the 3G towers. Can't complain though as the same thing happens with my cell phone in the house.

Back to reading :P

edit: Also, it's weird how you don't really turn it off. Just feels wrong. You can power it down but it takes a good 30-60 seconds to boot up and there's really no reason to. Doesn't use any power unless the screen is changed.

edit2: It's got Minesweeper (ALT-M), and quasi-GPS with Google Maps. It's the tower triangulation trick, not real GPS. When you're in the browser you can hit ALT-1 and it'll take you to a Google Maps page with your location accurate to 3 miles or less. From there you can search for nearby businesses or just get directions somewhere without having to type in the starting address.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Alright, I got my Kindle, and I'm gonna give it a going over, hopefully in the next few days I'll have a full glorious review with pictures, but until that time, here's some initial thoughts.

1. It's small. It's bigger than a paperback book, but not by a great deal, It's a lot smaller than I thought.
    2. It is possibly the LEAST photogenetic piece of technology ever created by man or beast. It's not ugly, it actually looks pretty good.
    3. The internet works pretty good on it. Not wonderful, but pretty good for blogs and whatnot
    4. The case sucks. I'm always worried that it's gonna fall out randomly.
    5. The side buttons don't line up totally, which is a bit annoying.
    6. Very clear and crisp screen.

Anywho, I'll work on a total writeup. See ya!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    Sony has better e-readers right now, they've been making them for a few years now. Sony also has some cheaper models that while not as good will do the job for people on a budget.

What do you mean right now? Kindle has been out for 6+ months.

Anyway, they offer two models. One is $300 and one is $279. They don't have the cheaper one anymore, it's permanently out of stock as it's been superseded by the newer one.

$60 is a pretty awesome deal for free internet for life and not having to install Sony Connect. I'd do a lot of terrible, unspeakable things before I ever let someone install that piece of shit on my computer. Sony's all well and good for stuff like the PS3 and PSP but stay the fuck off my computer. Also, Sony has a pretty paltry selection of eBooks compared to Amazon and they charge more for them.
    I know this post is a bit old, but I just saw this thread bumped to the top, and I recently picked up a Sony Reader so I thought i'd comment.

You don't need to install sony connect, the device shows up as a generic usb mass storage device if you don't, and you can just drag'n'drop non-DRM'd books to it. And in regards to both that and your book selection comments,i've just been buying books off of other stores, in other formats (mainly lit and mobi) stripping the DRM off them with readily available free tools and popping them on.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dragon6860 wrote: »

Yeah, when you hook up the Kindle to your computer it shows it as a USB drive. You can see all the files and directories and drop stuff into it like you would with a flash drive.

This also means that in the future there could be homebrew apps for the Kindle.

edit: Mine should be arriving within the next 4 hours. Give some hands on opinion then.

I had a look around and saw this:
    At present, Amazon will only ship the Kindle within the US, and books may only be purchased with a credit card billed to a US address.
    Which is a pain; I don't really have any way of purchasing books besides asking friends in the States to do it for me, which I think is more trouble than it's worth. Ah well... I'd probably be better off not spending the money anyway.

exis on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sony has better e-readers right now, they've been making them for a few years now. Sony also has some cheaper models that while not as good will do the job for people on a budget.

What do you mean right now? Kindle has been out for 6+ months.

Anyway, they offer two models. One is $300 and one is $279. They don't have the cheaper one anymore, it's permanently out of stock as it's been superseded by the newer one.

$60 is a pretty awesome deal for free internet for life and not having to install Sony Connect. I'd do a lot of terrible, unspeakable things before I ever let someone install that piece of shit on my computer. Sony's all well and good for stuff like the PS3 and PSP but stay the fuck off my computer. Also, Sony has a pretty paltry selection of eBooks compared to Amazon and they charge more for them.
    I know this post is a bit old, but I just saw this thread bumped to the top, and I recently picked up a Sony Reader so I thought i'd comment.

You don't need to install sony connect, the device shows up as a generic usb mass storage device if you don't, and you can just drag'n'drop non-DRM'd books to it. And in regards to both that and your book selection comments,i've just been buying books off of other stores, in other formats (mainly lit and mobi) stripping the DRM off them with readily available free tools and popping them on.

Could you post a few pictures (or send some to me) of the Sony book with some mobipocket books you've bought or otherwise acquired? I've only seen in-store demos of the PRS-500 and the books they had were shitty examples. I'd like to see if any eBooks have the same sort of diagrams and page layout of their print versions. It's be doubly cool if you had any books with illustrations or illuminations in the chapter intros.

If any of you Kindle owners pick up a programming or technical book could you post similar pictures? I've only been able to use a Kindle a few times and the owner didn't have anywhere near the same taste in books as me. Obviously readers like the Kindle and Sony reader can display diagrams and greyscale pictures but I'm curious as to whether publishers strip them out.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I won't have access to a camera until next week, but i'll try and take some pictures for you then, I'm mostly a fiction reader so I don't have any technical books w/ diagrams, but I do have a few with maps and other illustrations in them.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I bought one about two months ago for my wife in anticipation of our anniversary, two months from now. So of course the price has since dropped. :x

That said, it seems like a pretty keen device, and I look forward to trying it out when my wife opens it July 26.

The solution is to buy more of them so the price will go down for the rest of us.

At least, the solution from our viewpoint.

Get to it!

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, my wife opened it last night, and... she hasn't really put it down since. She bought two books, Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy and I Am America, And So Can You!. I'm pleased to see I Am America includes the images. For some reason, reading about magazines like Newsweek and Time, I just assumed every image would get stripped out of everything.

I got it away from her long enough to play a bit today, and downloaded a sample of Soon I Will Be Invincible and uh... I probably shouldn't get one of these. I'll drive my family broke if I do. I drove 40 minutes through shitty traffic today to go to Powell's to pick up some books for the weekend, and finally grab the Watchmen graphic novel. Between the shitty, shitty traffic, and the gas spent on the way, combined with the generally lower price of kindle books, and the ability to just buy the fucking thing while sitting on my couch with no pants on, and yeah. This thing is like pure delicious heroin to me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, my wife opened it last night, and... she hasn't really put it down since. She bought two books, Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy and I Am America, And So Can You!. I'm pleased to see I Am America includes the images. For some reason, reading about magazines like Newsweek and Time, I just assumed every image would get stripped out of everything.

I got it away from her long enough to play a bit today, and downloaded a sample of Soon I Will Be Invincible and uh... I probably shouldn't get one of these. I'll drive my family broke if I do. I drove 40 minutes through shitty traffic today to go to Powell's to pick up some books for the weekend, and finally grab the Watchmen graphic novel. Between the shitty, shitty traffic, and the gas spent on the way, combined with the generally lower price of kindle books, and the ability to just buy the fucking thing while sitting on my couch with no pants on, and yeah. This thing is like pure delicious heroin to me.

Don't say this, I have other things to buy and not enough monies! D:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArgiveArgive Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I saw a lady on the train with a Kindle today. First time seeing one IRL.

Argive on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How is the kindle for technical documents? I really hate reading PDFs on a PC as they give me head aches, but I need the search capabilities.

Right now, I end up searching for what I need on my PC then printing out the relevant pages... which is not convenient or cost effective.

solsovly on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want to get one SOO much. But it's so expensive :-(

Plus, it hurts to think I'd have to take my current library and buy it all over again...just to digitize it on the Kindle. It makes me hurt inside, but it also makes me want inside.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone know when they are gonna release it in Europe, specifically Spain? I don't wanna buy one from the U.S. and not be able to use it with my mobile firm in Spain :(

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I could make notes on it, this thing would be perfect for textbooks.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    god damn.... i would buy this so hard if it was in Aus. Specially if the wireless thing and google maps was in it. The future of actual useful portable tech products is ALMOST here.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Big Dookie wrote: »

You can. You can make annotations on any file. And you can use them as bookmarks. So you can leave lengthy notes, you can take clippings and look at them separately, and you can jump around to your annotations. You can also make separate bookmarks without an annotation.

I saved a few clippings from The Onion, The New York Times, and I made some comments about some book I can't remember offhand.

--

Textbooks are good too, btw. Being able to search for specific code in a programming book? Heck yes. Of course not all textbooks are available, but a lot of techie ones are.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »

You can. You can make annotations on any file. And you can use them as bookmarks. So you can leave lengthy notes, you can take clippings and look at them separately, and you can jump around to your annotations. You can also make separate bookmarks without an annotation.

I saved a few clippings from The Onion, The New York Times, and I made some comments about some book I can't remember offhand.

--

Textbooks are good too, btw. Being able to search for specific code in a programming book? Heck yes. Of course not all textbooks are available, but a lot of techie ones are.

:shock:

Okay, I now have to seriously consider one of these.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »

--

:shock:

Okay, I now have to seriously consider one of these.

Note, I'm not sure you can export these notes...I'm not sure if that's your intention or not...but you can certainly make annotations within the Kindle itself as I've done it. It's one of its less-spoken of features, but certainly a big one.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I see what you mean. That still sounds pretty good. The thing that would really determine how useful it would be though is whether or not the textbooks I need would be available for it. I'll definitely be looking into it.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Audiobooks.

I just have zero use for a Kindle or books.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There we have it. Satan has no use for books nor Kindles.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Pardon me for posting in a thread. I'll be sure to clear it with you next time.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Audiobooks are much too slow for me, take anansi boys for example, relatively short book (350ish pages I believe) easily readable in under 2 hours, the unabridged audiobook? 10 hours =\

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Plus, I hate having people read a book for me. The voice becomes a distraction. When you reason a book, there IS no voice. It's just you reading. And it sucks even more when there's dialogue....cause that's an element you want to interpret and recreate for yourself...I dont know, it takes the fun and imagination out of reading a book, which to me, is the whole purpose of reading.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Audiobooks are much too slow for me, take anansi boys for example, relatively short book (350ish pages I believe) easily readable in under 2 hours, the unabridged audiobook? 10 hours =\
    Yeah, I agree. They're good to listen to while driving, but pretty much any other time I very much prefer just reading it myself.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I want to get one SOO much. But it's so expensive :-(

Plus, it hurts to think I'd have to take my current library and buy it all over again...just to digitize it on the Kindle. It makes me hurt inside, but it also makes me want inside.

Nobody said you had to rebuy all your books. Unless you really want to read them all again on the Kindle. I've bought like 6 books since I got mine (and read a few novella's and such from Gutenberg) on it and have had no desire to go back and reread them. I've actually started removing books from the Kindle. I've had to read some real books since getting the Kindle, mostly textbooks and scholarly journal articles I have to read for class and it wasn't the major drag I thought it would be. I think I prefer reading on the Kindle now but I haven't yet completely shunned the traditional book. Mostly because it's impossible (aforementioned examples), and also because reading the Kindle is pretty damn close to a real book after hitting the Next Page button becomes just as involuntary as turning a physical page. That will happen before you finish your first book.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You can upload audiobooks/mp3s to your Kindle as well, just FYI.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Satan. wrote: »

Pardon me for posting in a thread. I'll be sure to clear it with you next time.

Jeez, I thought the joke was right there in plain sights. I just found it funny to quote that and read it out of context.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Plus, I hate having people read a book for me. The voice becomes a distraction. When you reason a book, there IS no voice. It's just you reading. And it sucks even more when there's dialogue....cause that's an element you want to interpret and recreate for yourself...I dont know, it takes the fun and imagination out of reading a book, which to me, is the whole purpose of reading.

My internal voice doesn't really contribute that much to reading a book, so I don't have that problem. There is certainly much more to the book than my internal voice, it doesn't take all the fun and imagination out of it.

Satan. on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't mind a narrator, so long as it is a good neutral or fitting voice. Most of them are from what I have experienced.

However I do prefer to read on my own.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't mind a narrator, so long as it is a good neutral or fitting voice. Most of them are from what I have experienced.

If Patrick Stewart did all audio books I'd probably listen.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

If Patrick Stewart did all audio books I'd probably listen.

I think he has done a few, actually!

Lucky Cynic on
This discussion has been closed.