As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - OOC] Silent Horizon

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yay vent.

Juke if you ever run a higher level adventure please include me.

Goose! on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yay vent.

Juke if you ever run a higher level adventure please include me.

Don't forget to bring a towel, is all I'm saying.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, I'm planning on doing some serious shopping when I get back to town. I'm looking to pick up a heavy shield, a glaive, a longsword, a short sword and a long bow.

Yes, I plan to carry all those around at once. I need more versatility. I might just drop the falchion, not sure what purpose it will have. I guess a slight accuracy boost? Probably not worth keeping for just that. Long sword is for use with the shield against tough enemies, short sword is for access to light blade skills and the long bow is obviously for ranged. The glaive will give me reach attacks which should give me much better flexibility.

I think I'm going to swap my encounter ability for steel serpent strike when I hit level 2. Hitting two people is cool and all but it leaves me rather open. With a glaive I can safely steel serpent strike, marking an enemy and slowing him, and then fade away. Meaning he can't reach me and if he tries to attack anyone else he takes a -2 penalty. He also can't shift, meaning OAs for any adjacent folk.

As for my level 2 utility well. They all kind of look crappy. No opening is probably what I am leaning for, as I seem to get flanked enough as is.

As for team tactics. Tor and I need to be spreading our marks out and making the enemy waste effort coming after us, without getting smashed in the process. Tor, you need to get a ranged weapon and have some fun with it. You can mark an enemy at range and then run away, if they attack anyone else they take damage, good times. I can use my bow to mark and run. I can't force the enemy to take damage but a -2 to hit is a -2 to hit. I guess you should go for martyr's blessing as your utility.

Lekiun. I know you love fire and all but you should seriously look into some of the mage abilities that do more than just damage. Ray of Frost for example, reduces the enemies movement to 2. If we are fighting a big bad guy you can just hit him with that over and over as we laugh and laugh as he can't catch us as we ping him to death. Good times. The knocback on thunderwave is also very sexy. A great combo a wizard in my game is using is thunderwave, ap, icy rays (level 3 encounter) against melee enemies. Shove 2 melee enemies out of range and then freeze them in place, good times. I recommend shield as your utility power, it's amazingly useful.

Magnus. You probably should furious smash move, especially with how bad our accuracy is. Yeah, you do crap damage when you do it but if it makes goose's sneak attack land then it is all good. For 2nd level utility probably shake it off.

Goose. You should probably pick up piercing strike. It attacks the enemies reflex instead of their AC. Yeah, it's not crazy awesome damage or anything but against enemies with huge AC it should be amazingly useful. Switch out for that at 2nd level. I say tumble for your 2nd level utility.

I'm gonna go read up on alchemy now. We still need to formulate some strategies guys.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, I'm planning on doing some serious shopping when I get back to town. I'm looking to pick up a heavy shield, a glaive, a longsword, a short sword and a long bow.

Yes, I plan to carry all those around at once. I need more versatility. I might just drop the falchion, not sure what purpose it will have. I guess a slight accuracy boost? Probably not worth keeping for just that. Long sword is for use with the shield against tough enemies, short sword is for access to light blade skills and the long bow is obviously for ranged. The glaive will give me reach attacks which should give me much better flexibility.

I think I'm going to swap my encounter ability for steel serpent strike when I hit level 2. Hitting two people is cool and all but it leaves me rather open. With a glaive I can safely steel serpent strike, marking an enemy and slowing him, and then fade away. Meaning he can't reach me and if he tries to attack anyone else he takes a -2 penalty. He also can't shift, meaning OAs for any adjacent folk.

As for my level 2 utility well. They all kind of look crappy. No opening is probably what I am leaning for, as I seem to get flanked enough as is.

As for team tactics. Tor and I need to be spreading our marks out and making the enemy waste effort coming after us, without getting smashed in the process. Tor, you need to get a ranged weapon and have some fun with it. You can mark an enemy at range and then run away, if they attack anyone else they take damage, good times. I can use my bow to mark and run. I can't force the enemy to take damage but a -2 to hit is a -2 to hit. I guess you should go for martyr's blessing as your utility.

Lekiun. I know you love fire and all but you should seriously look into some of the mage abilities that do more than just damage. Ray of Frost for example, reduces the enemies movement to 2. If we are fighting a big bad guy you can just hit him with that over and over as we laugh and laugh as he can't catch us as we ping him to death. Good times. The knocback on thunderwave is also very sexy. A great combo a wizard in my game is using is thunderwave, ap, icy rays (level 3 encounter) against melee enemies. Shove 2 melee enemies out of range and then freeze them in place, good times. I recommend shield as your utility power, it's amazingly useful.

Magnus. You probably should furious smash move, especially with how bad our accuracy is. Yeah, you do crap damage when you do it but if it makes goose's sneak attack land then it is all good. For 2nd level utility probably shake it off.

Goose. You should probably pick up piercing strike. It attacks the enemies reflex instead of their AC. Yeah, it's not crazy awesome damage or anything but against enemies with huge AC it should be amazingly useful. Switch out for that at 2nd level. I say tumble for your 2nd level utility.

I'm gonna go read up on alchemy now. We still need to formulate some strategies guys.

I'm sticking with Fleeting ghost I think for my util if only because I want the ability to actually sneak. I haven't even been using stealth because of the penalties.

And I think I'm switching my enc and daily for sure this next level. I already have a ranged at-will so there's no worries on that. And usually, reflex is only slightly less than AC because they both tend to use Dex (at least in past editions its been this way). I don't know how much that's changed.

Goose! on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Non-fire spells? Who the hell do you think I am, quizzy? Don't joke around.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Greeper wrote: »
    Non-fire spells? Who the hell do you think I am, quizzy? Don't joke around.

You're guy can have a raging hard on for fire spells all he wants. I'm just saying that you are gimping yourself by limiting yourself only to fire spells.

Besides, you have magic missile, that's not a fire spell, so there is a precedent here. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    On AC and Ref: Body's (Dwarven Hammerer) AC was like 23. Ref was in the teens. On average, Defenses are going to be 2 lower than AC, minimum.

Also, fun fact: Standard AC for Level 5 Soldier? 21.

Dragonborn soldier, also Level 5, has AC 20.

Oh WotC, you so cra-zay

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's really kind of aggravating that as a fighter I can't take a single power that doesn't attack the enemies AC at my level.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I fully expect something like it to exist eventually. Have you looked into Multiclassing options?

Come to think of it, being able to attack Reflex once in awhile would be a great magic weapon property.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I fully expect something like it to exist eventually. Have you looked into Multiclassing options?

Come to think of it, being able to attack Reflex once in awhile would be a great magic weapon property.

I think I am going to have to look into multi-classing. There are only 4 powers from level 1-30 for the fighter that attack something other then AC. Not counting paragon paths, but, I think the one that works for my build only attacks AC with all those abilities too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Also, anyone who is making final decisions on equipment type for a level, make sure to point it out. Don't need to be giving anyone daggers if they've moved onto glaives.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright, here's my sheet:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=59203

Also look at the D&D main thread for a hint of the shenanigans I am planning.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I was thinking of multiclassing starting at level 2. Either taking a multiclass feat (I meet the requirements for Warlock, Warlord, Fighter, Paladin, and Ranger) or taking Improved Init.

So, any thoughts?

And I think being able to sneak at full speed will be a good advantage to scout things. Any assists in distracting would certainly help. Could be a good strategy. Also going to places that have real cover would be nice :P

Also, I will be retraining to Piercing Strike because Riposte Strike isn't as great as I'd thought it would be. Are you only allowed to retrain 1 power at level?

Maserati Andrast, Eladrin Rogue
    Init +6 HP 17/23 Bloodied 11 Healing Surge 5 (3 used /7)
    AC 16 Fort 12 Reflex 16 Will 13 Speed 6
    Str 14 (+2) Con 11 (+0) Dex 18 (+4) Int 10 (+0) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 14 (+2)

Click name for full sheet.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think I'm going to multi-class into rogue, given my high dex. If we can set up flanks you and I could do MASSIVE damage goose.

Your stats qualify you for multiclassing into fighter, paladin, ranger, warlord of warlock.

I'm guessing you want to keep your focus mainly on damage, and of those we don't have a warlock, so going warlock could help us diversify a lot. Eyebite is a tremendous choice for a rogue, ranged attack that makes you invisible to the opponent till the start of your next turn. Great for playing it safe. You'd get that as an encounter power of you multi-classed warlock. Or if you need to do damage badly, eyebite, move up, ap, melee attack w/ combat advantage due to opponent not being able to see you.

Improved initiative is also very cool for you, given you being a rogue. Hard to chose between the two.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think I'm going to multi-class into rogue, given my high dex. If we can set up flanks you and I could do MASSIVE damage goose.

Your stats qualify you for multiclassing into fighter, paladin, ranger, warlord of warlock.

I'm guessing you want to keep your focus mainly on damage, and of those we don't have a warlock, so going warlock could help us diversify a lot. Eyebite is a tremendous choice for a rogue, ranged attack that makes you invisible to the opponent till the start of your next turn. Great for playing it safe. You'd get that as an encounter power of you multi-classed warlock. Or if you need to do damage badly, eyebite, move up, ap, melee attack w/ combat advantage due to opponent not being able to see you.

Improved initiative is also very cool for you, given you being a rogue. Hard to chose between the two.

Warlock was the one I was thinking of trying. Not just for eyebite. I was going to go Fey pact. Do multiclass warlocks still get to use warlock's curse?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Warlock was the one I was thinking of trying. Not just for eyebite. I was going to go Fey pact. Do multiclass warlocks still get to use warlock's curse?

Sadly no. You choose a pact and you get the pact's at will power as an encounter power. You get training in one skill from the warlock's skill list. You qualify for the paragon path of the pact you chose. And you can use a rod, wand, or pact blade when performing warlock moves.

Thats it though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    According to the table, you also get to use eldritch blast 1/encounter.

Unless that's an error.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    According to the table, you also get to use eldritch blast 1/encounter.

Unless that's an error.

Huh, that's funny. The table does say that, but it doesn't mention that at all in the actual feat description.

There's some kind of error going on somewhere.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    An error I will exploit until it is fixed. Or I really get to use eldritch blast and eyebite 1/enc each.

Now what skill should I train? Insight, History, Arcana, or Intimidate? I'm thinking intimidate since there's rogue powers that prerequisite it.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Of those my natural inclination is insight, but I like being aware of my surroundings a lot in D&D.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Of those my natural inclination is insight, but I like being aware of my surroundings a lot in D&D.

Perception is being aware of your surroundings, insight is more recognition of something specific. But intimidate isn't that necessary, as its only needed for my mob mentality power. Which isn't that spectacular and far off down the road anyway.

So, Insight it will probably be.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well insight is also telling when someone is lying to you.

Something we could really use, it seems.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I guess since what I want to do with my character has sparked some debate, I should ask you if you will allow it, mr. jewcar sir, before I pursue this path.

What's your take on it?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The Table is wrong, the description is right, until WotC revises it. It would be upsetting except that Pact Blades exist, and Warlock powers are seriously useful. Do keep in mind, if you take a warlock path, you will have something whispering in your ear from time to time. In Maser's case, he may already have heard from it.

Considering the known entities, -- mutants, horses of shadow and bone, silence-oriented creatures who do stealth-surgery -- yeah, there's a lot of mileage to be had from being able to see beyond the obvious. That said, knowledge in general is pretty useful. This is crazy shit from earlier eras with crazy rituals and such, after all.

--

Inq: A two-handed weapon held in one hand just means that your hand and that weapon together form a generic one-handed improvised melee weapon. I don't see any purpose to making a hand with a big sharp stick in it LESS useful than holding a chair leg or simply punching without special training, or kicking a dude in the shin (no you do not get to use kicks or headbutts while using a two-handed weapon or two weapons normally without a feat).

--

Let's all learn the new stealth rules.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wish Dragon had some extra stuff for Rogues. Kinda wanna multiclass into Swordmage now that I realized FR Guides are out already.

Then I got to browsing a rogue guide on the WotC board. I'm holding off on multiclassing till I get closer to the Paragon tier.

Hm. Character roadmap:

Level 2:
    -Learn Great Leap (movement greater than speed ftw)
    -Retrain skill: Swap Dungeoneering for Athletics so that I can learn the above
    -Weaopn Proficiency: Rapier

Level 3:
    -Learn Bait and Switch
    -Retrain power: Swap Riposte strike for Piercing strike

That way, once I get to level 3 (if I don't die by then) I can get two powers that don't attack AC at once. And the rapier feat gives me a light blade that does 1d8 damage. I might've taken that first had I been paying attention to the other swords on the equipment table.

Level 4
    - +1 Dex, +1 Str
    -Learn Weapon Focus: Light Blades

I keep regretting taking dungeoneering so I'm finally getting rid of it.

And that's as far ahead as I'll go for now.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What's so different about the new stealth rules? I didn't pick up on anything.

I know one thing though. You assholes need to provide a distraction for me so that I can move in sneaky and stab some people.

Also, I think I might start trying to get creative with the skills I have.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, all things considered, dungeoneering isn't going to come up especially much compared to standard Dungeon-oriented games. There will still be dungeons, but this isn't an Underdark Cthulhu campaign by a long shot. You guys also tend not to use your "know about monsters" abilities in general, which is half the point of Dungeoneering. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just wait till PHB II comes out and I multiclass bard.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The Silent Ones will be pissed. :P

--

Also, that Black Shortsword? Actually you looked at it wrong, it was a Rapier. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's so different about the new stealth rules? I didn't pick up on anything.

I know one thing though. You assholes need to provide a distraction for me so that I can move in sneaky and stab some people.

Also, I think I might start trying to get creative with the skills I have.

Fuck, most of my free action spells are distractions.

I'm your man.

Quizzy: Okay so look. I've never played D&D 4th edition before, I'm not in another campaign where I'm like 40th level already and I never played with more than 2 other PCs or got past like 3rd level. Fire looked fun and worked with my feat. I can switch shit up later, but I'm stuck for NOW. Sure, looking through the PHB I always knew too many fire spells are just redundent, I have no intention of getting all fire spells all the way through. I want to get a reputation as a fucking pyro, sure, so that when Joe Badguy says: "LEKIUN EH? EAT THESE FIRE-EATING FIRE ELEMENTALS." I can be like: "Oh that's a pit... BIGBY'S CRUSHING HAND!" And then we can all laugh and laugh and laugh.

Guys also, as the resident 20 int wizard I should have been playing this whole game smarter, I'm sorry. I'll try to be better in da future. ^_________________^

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hey, it's cool that you are new to 4e D&D greeps. We are all rather new to 4e. That said, don't be afraid to ask questions and talk about strategies and stuff just because you are new. I'm here to help. Really!

Yes, you are stuck with your choices for now, but every time you level you can swap out an old power or skill or feat. So, we can re-tailor you if you ended up unhappy with any of your decisions. If you want me to I can do a quick run through on my opinions on wizard powers available to you?

Also, where I can I find these new stealth rules / alchemy rules. I suck at navigating wizards site.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The Silent Ones will be pissed. :P

--

Also, that Black Shortsword? Actually you looked at it wrong, it was a Rapier. :P

Puns abound.

I'll show Aken-Shi how to use a rapier.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So yeah, Greeps, I'm gonna need a shit load of ghost sounds and prestidigitations man. Hells yes.

Idea. You ready a ghost sound for when I am about to hide (make a stealth check).

Man once the equipment book comes out, shit is gonna be hot.

*throws down a smoke bomb*

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Stealth rules were somewhere in the 4E main thread.

Alchemy preview rules are here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080814b

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Assuming we're going to be playing for awhile (longer than the one adventure we're on, I mean), Juke, would you be willing to accept a paragon path I made up?

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's waaaaay too early for me to even be considering things like Paragon paths. I haven't really been looking past the stats past Level 5. I'm fully interested in taking this campaign to at least level 20 (epic is still awkward as hell), but we're still like 81 encounters from Paragon. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's waaaaay too early for me to even be considering things like Paragon paths. I haven't really been looking past the stats past Level 5. I'm fully interested in taking this campaign to at least level 20 (epic is still awkward as hell), but we're still like 81 encounters from Paragon. :P

Shiiet. That's only a year away. :D

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well, here's the idea anyway. Been workin on it a couple of hours:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=6749703&postcount=185

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    By the way, I think we've been forgetting that I add +1 to the perception rolls of all non-elf allies within 5 squares of me.

I'm gonna keep reading stuff to see if I missed anything else.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I fully anticipate tonight's game being on schedule as per usual. Try to be there on time, because the action (Jackson) will probably come early on. The session after this will be level 2, so keep pondering those level ups.

Also: I've decided that those mutant dudes will count as Aberrations, since I'm not huge on Far Realms stuff, so if you want to do a "monster check" on them you'll be using Dungeoneering, so that skill will be useful if you want to get an idea of what a particular mutant freak can do, and possibly some of their personal history, since many of them are unique individuals, and you're going to have zero access to "Well according to the MM Goblins walk like THIS, and Hobgoblins walk like this," so you'll want to seriously consider actually making those checks, because these guys are more or less the The Barbarois from Vampire Hunter D. :P

Incenjucar on