As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your gaming "zen" moments

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sublime, zen, pure luck....

LAN Party -14 or so of us playing HL2 DM and a CTF mod, lot of yelling, swearing - whole lot of fun.

We play this CTF map that has two bases with a kinda maze on the ground, and a connecting underground tunnel, each base has a sniper tower - nothing really note worthy about it. I grab the enemy flag, make it back to base, they do they same.

I'm waiting up the in our tower for the them to drop our flag. I glance toward the other base, and see the shadowy outline of a person with a flag. The engine wouldn't render the character - just show the outline ( i don't even remember seeing the tower).

Figure might try something....

Pull it out the crossbow*, fire....

one one thousand.....

two one thousand.....

"WHAT THE HELL???!! I JUST DIED!!"

I was cracking up: a long shot from across the map, with a weapon that has a travel time, hitting a guy who thought he was perfectly safe.

I still smile thinking about that shot.

fodderboy on
  • Options
    DiggomaniacDiggomaniac Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Three moments in particular come to me.

The first, lesser moment, was in COD4. Deathmatch in that farm level online. Three people were camping the MG nest farming kills together but someone threw a well placed grenade and got them all. I took the opportunity to jump inside and hide behind a crate. All three came up SWAT style but a tossed a grenade to the MG just as the first man reached it, knifed the last guy in the back and gunned down the second man as he ran away from the now exploding grenade which tore apart the MG gunner.

Second was me killing four incredibly good players by myself in the Canals map of Gears of War. I jumped to the side of one man, shot him in the legs then the face. Barrelrolled behind one guy while the other two shot at him (hah). After shooting him in the legs a ran infront of one man and blew apart his chest and then rolled backwards smacking the head off of the second downed man. I was then out of ammo with their fourth man as I constantly dodged his shots with rolls until he ran out of ammo as well. As he switched weapons I rolled behind him, knocked him down and tagged him with a smoke grenade. I finished it all off with an execution style headshot.

Third one was the time I joined a 2 vs 16 man Soldat game. The one other guy on my team left. So I preceeded to beat the entire enemy team, steal their flag and win three rounds before having to go to sleep. I love me some spas.

EDIT: To clarify I did not host that Gears of War match.

Diggomaniac on
    360 Gamertag - Diggomaniac
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hit my zen state when I'm playing Hitman: Blood Money. Specifically those levels where I know I can get Silent Assassin, and it's just a case of tightening up my run.

...is it bad that I just bought the Steam edition when I already have the PS2 version?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Another great sniping moment - Battlefield 1942

I was across on the American side of the river and I noticed this guy in the distance on my team holed up in a house by himself. 3 germans went towards the house and I picked off 1 just through the fog. The other two went into the house. I saw a few flashes and the American guy running out the back door. The second german was spraying through the window towards him and I got him directly. The last german ran at the american guy that for some reason was jumping around and now laying down. The german was spraying in his direction very close and I got a sinlge shot off to his head.

The guy that was being chased got back up from prone position and then looked around like "I fucking live!" and then went on his merry way

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mine has to be from Perfect Dark.

Challenge mode, and I'm playing a capture the flag against 4 PC players. Indoor area, 2 levels. One is always guarding their base, one always camping mine, and 3 coming for me. I'd played it a lot but was still having problems, as you would expect.

I had a run where I managed to score 2 captures right away. I was shooting really, really well with the 'nade launcher. So I jump down to the center area and grab the case after killing 2 guys. I pick up the case and instantly take damage as I'm running full blast at the door. I don't see the guy shooting me. Somehow (ZEN?) I know exactly where he is 10 yards behind me, same level. I know I've got too much damage to survive a fight, but I've also got enough damage that I'm dead if I don't do something.

In full run towards the door, I switch to the 'nade launcher. Then, in a compeltely unrehersed, never even considered move, I aim up 35 degrees and bounce a grenade off of the door frame - just above the door I'm sprinting towards. The nade flys over my head just as I open the door and run away. Not a wasted moment or movement - just pure gameplay.

10 seconds later, I stopped dead, turned around, and looked out the door to see if I'd actually just done that. I had killed the guy with a perfect grenade shot, landing right where I felt he must have been standing. Of course, I died in a terrible way sticking my head out to admire my work, but I still felt like a total badass.

*EDIT*
    Oh, and my COD4 multiplayer 5 second spree:

Knife,
    Knife,
    Here's your grenade back, guy outside and his nearby buddy
    Knife.
    Thxfortheairstrikethxbye.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Playing MGS4 the other day, I was trying to sneak past a guard. He was walking back and forth, with a large rock behind him. He turned away and I made a mad dash for the rock, diving into a small indention in its side. He turns around, certain he saw something, but by now my Octocamo has activated and even I'm having a hard time seeing Snake. He shrugs off the feeling and walks directly in front of me, and crouches down. I unstick from the wall, grab him, and slit his throat.

It just felt so perfect.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got two.

Playing GunGame on CS:S, starting out with the glock with the leader up to the knife. In 3 rounds of play, I managed to win. All while playing on my shitty comp at 15fps or less.

Beating Rygar on the NES in one sitting after never being able to get past the first area.

Fawst on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TF2:

I jump on a heavys head, stab him, which instakills, then kill his 2 medics. All 3 people were high level PA players, it was dope.

and

completly different, but sailing in LoZ: WW was like that when i was younger.

Sueve on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Playing Tetris online with other people, in Sudden Death mode.

The arrow keys take a beating.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    RepoxRepox Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    After beating Call Of Duty 4, namely the sniping mission, and the end of the game, I felt like a goddamn god.
    I didn't play after those missions for the rest of the day after beating them.
    Just amazed at how it happened.

Repox on
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Back in the day of original, pre fancy-graphics Counter Strike, the game had more or less taken over my dorm. My computer was one of the best on the floor, so my room became the de-facto "Counterstrike 24/7" spot, with different friends, classmates, and roommates living on my PC from time to time shooting terrorists.

One map, DE_AZTEC, features a long rope bridge over water that is usually a hotly contested chokepoint. My friend is playing on this map, in the back of a group of about 4 counter-terrorists who are fighting for this bridge.

One by one, the CTs get sniped until the only person left is my friend. He gets a gleam in his eye and gives his best Kurt-Russel-Tombstone "NO!" and rushes across the bridge, shotgun in hand, to decimate the entire team. Shot after shot whizzes past him, *BOOM* cachunk, one down. *BOOM* cachunk, one down. Now he's a threat, more shots are fired, a few peg him but nothing takes him down, *BOOM* cachunk, another terrorist down. One's hiding, trying to reload his rifle and swing out t *BOOM* cachunk, *BOOM* cachunk.

Counter-Terrorists win.

He wasn't an amazing player, but the fact that he spontaneously recreated the Kurt Russel "suicidal charge through (over, in this case) water with shotgun" and it worked was legendary. I imagine he was in a "zen" state at the time, or was ridiculously lucky, maybe both.

Pretty much this, except instead of the last guy attempting to reload, he dropped his ak and pulled out a pistol which I answered by tossing an empty mp5 into his hands and taking him out with a headshot from my USP. I laughed for 5 minutes straight after that one.

Niqle on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Back in my Diablo 2 days (back in 1.8 and .9) I used to do hundreds of cow runs a day. There was times where I would take my static/orb sorc and just rip through a game in about 2-2:30 minutes at most by teleporting and killing cows by the dozen in seconds. I felt in the zone.

I almost miss those days, until I realize that I have a life now.

Rei on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tribes: Vengeance

I don't recall the name of the map but it was a grassy field with two small bases close to each other. I was sitting on top of ours with a sniper rifle just sort of pinging people that wandered into view on the other teams side.

On that map people tend to ski in along a semi-circular road to try for the flag, and somewhere about 5 minutes into the game I suddenly hit some sort of state or transcendence. People would come flying in at full speed, weapons blazing, and I would hit them at a decent range with a perfect headshot kill. The following conversation, or close to it, occurred in the space of about 30 seconds.

*headshot on moving target*
    Enemy: Damn dude you're a good shot.
    Me: No not really, that one was just luck.
    *second headshot on a moving target*
    Me: Um... that one too
    *third headshot on a moving target*
    Enemy: Yeah, right.

I think I got one more in before I suddenly became the biggest bullseye on the map, and had to switch out to heavy armor. I've never been able to replicate the feat, but for a brief, golden moment, I was a god that simply pointed in a direction and someone died.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll have to second what everyone said about sniping in TF2. It's very uncommon for me these days though, five-six years ago in DoD 1.6... Man, I was Buddah!

Panda4You on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Playing deathmatch on Ghost Recon on one of the biggest maps in the game and then launching a single grenade randomly in the air only to have it come down on the other side of the map and kill the opposing player.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rainbow Six 3 for PC. 8 vs 8 map in the urban training map (the one with the underground tunnel network). Using an M-16A2 with ACOG scope. I wiped out an entire team in the space of six seconds and was accused of being a hacker. The game had only been out on shelves for about six hours.

What had happened was they were using a shelf of boxes as cover. It looked like a good idea from where they were standing, I'm sure, because there was a big huge box at head level that entirely obscured their vision, but on the shelf at waist level the boxes were small enough and there were enough gaps that I could see through quite easily.

SammyF on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just had a perfect moment playing CTF in the Legions beta. Enemy stole our flag out from in front of me as I was bringing the enemy flag in for a cap. Followed him off the base, down-thrusted, hit overdrive to catch him, sent a rocket into him while boosting on the ground and flew through his corpsy bits tagging the flag.

I don't remember if the flag was still around by the time I got back home, but it was just perfect. First game with sub 100ms ping and it was glorious.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    on a dm_store map, 2 enemy soldiers rocket jump and sail right in front of me. i fire 2 shots, both are crits, and both are direct hits. it rained gibs that day

tyrannus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hadn't gotten an FC on any of the songs in GH3 (compared to GH2, where I had about twelve or so).

During a Pro Face-Off match online, I FC'ed Holiday in Cambodia on Expert.

And since it was online, no record was kept on my menu.

D:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Sniping.

Less obnoxious post later.

high five, flippy

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hadn't gotten an FC on any of the songs in GH3 (compared to GH2, where I had about twelve or so).

During a Pro Face-Off match online, I FC'ed Holiday in Cambodia on Expert.

And since it was online, no record was kept on my menu.

D:

*offers you a condolences cookie*

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The best place for me to slip into thoughtless, perfect gaming is Virtua Fighter 4: Evo or now VF5. Lei Fei.

Back foward PK (or down down-forward forward PK), back PP (enemy siderolls), down PKG, PK, forward forward K, down PKG, K, down PKG, P - PK, up-forward KG. The whole lifebar combo. I've only pulled if off against a live opponent once, but he'd never play me after that.

Jumping from a cliff and nailing a sniper rifle headshot in midair in Halo.

A few moments in the Prince of Persia series.

DOOM: Knee Deep In The Dead. I played the first chapter of the original Doom (the free demo) so much when I was 13 it got to the point where I was constantly in the zone while playing it. I could blitz through levels with 100% kills and never get scratched. It was gaming bliss, and ironically really served to relax me. I didn't think about what I was doing - I just did it.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    The best place for me to slip into thoughtless, perfect gaming is Virtua Fighter 4: Evo or now VF5. Lei Fei.

Back foward PK (or down down-forward forward PK), back PP (enemy siderolls), down PKG, PK, forward forward K, down PKG, K, down PKG, P - PK, up-forward KG. The whole lifebar combo. I've only pulled if off against a live opponent once, but he'd never play me after that.

Jumping from a cliff and nailing a sniper rifle headshot in midair in Halo.

A few moments in the Prince of Persia series.

DOOM: Knee Deep In The Dead. I played the first chapter of the original Doom (the free demo) so much when I was 13 it got to the point where I was constantly in the zone while playing it. I could blitz through levels with 100% kills and never get scratched. It was gaming bliss, and ironically really served to relax me. I didn't think about what I was doing - I just did it.

I'm awesome with Pai but apparently Pai is a "bitch" character so I guess I'm not good at VF4/5.

But I'm great with Pai in VF4/5.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't know why, but I always get in the zone while playing the Trauma Center games. Perhaps it's because I normally play RPGs, but I felt like a fucking god the first time I took down the
    Savato Guilt
    at the end of the game. I'd only failed it a couple of times, but as people who have completed the game can attest, it is incredibly frustrating. After failing it twice in a row, I drank a beer, watched some TV, but I was ultimately unfulfilled. I wasn't going to be happy until I beat that last surgery. Anyway, I fire up the Wii and nail it on the first try. I hadn't ever even completed it before, and I got an A (or S, I can't remember) rank. Everything I did was effective, and I was using my scalpel perfectly.

Then, I unlocked the bonus missions and got my ass handed to me.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, another game I've been getting into the zone with is Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin. Nothing like having a great troop layout and positioning, and being able to counter anything the enemy throws at you.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    most recently was the stairs in chapter 10 i believe of ninja gaiden...you know where ALL the ninja just flood you...

Yea, that was just a moment of pure gaming bliss.

gvandale on
    Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    First time I played Tribes, I must have been playing for a good 3 hours, just getting used to skiing, jumping, etc. They totally stole our flag, and he was about to cap the flag, flying towards his base. I don't know why but I shot my disc shooter thing whose name I forget, and I got him in mid air. He exploded, and it was epic.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wii Sports Tennis is my meditation. I don't play to win, I try to see how long I can keep it going against a pro computer with neither of us scoring.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Peggle.
    I pretty much one-shotted a map.

On a more serious note, yea, sniping.
    TF2 in particular, as it's really the only FPS I've been playing.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Back in the days of BF2 I was always THE heli pilot, nothing else. Either that, or Anti-Tank. I hated armor, really.

Anytime we had a big game of BF2 going here I would pilot a blackhawk with such ease, it was always easy for me to manuever it. I could do some tricky landings in that beast. Sometimes we would dominate servers just with the six of us working together in a blackhawk. Two ATs, one medic, an engineer and a support go a loooong, long long way. Nothing could stop us. NJD2004 was also an amazing gunner, we raked up hundreds of kills a game on Sharqi in the attack heli's. :)

Sanius on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gran Turismo 3m, I forget which map but it had an "S" curve with rock walls. Everyone said it couldn't be done
    But I got tunnel vision, all the sound in the room faded except for the whine of the engine, and I nailed 2 consecutive power slides through the "S" curve.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    UnbreakableVow: Dude, if you can master any character in Virtua Fighter, you're good at the game. Whenever I feel like dipping into another character I always go through Pai's movelist, but the fact that most (all) of her combos are beyond me is... a roadblock.

The only other character I managed to take through all the arcades and win the final tournament in VF4:E was Jacky, and that was just learning timing and three bread-and-butter combos. I liked the idea of using Bruce Lee's style.

I still remember the day my older brother and I picked out VF4, right when we got our first PS2. It was between that and some Tekken game - I'd only ever played VF1 in the arcade.

"I hear Tekken's awesome," I said.
    "Virtua Fighter's got a Shaolin Monk and an old Drunk Style dude," he replies.
    And that was that. And I'm so glad we made the choice we did. Whenever I look at these arcadey fighters with fireballs (or even less crazy ones like DOA), I just shake my head. Too many people have no idea what VF is.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    UnbreakableVow: Dude, if you can master any character in Virtua Fighter, you're good at the game. Whenever I feel like dipping into another character I always go through Pai's movelist, but the fact that most (all) of her combos are beyond me is... a roadblock.

I'm very happy with my Pai. I 100%ed VF4: Evo and VF5 with her (beat every arcade, won every tournament, got all emblems, etc.).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Niqle wrote: »
    Pretty much this, except instead of the last guy attempting to reload, he dropped his ak and pulled out a pistol which I answered by tossing an empty mp5 into his hands and taking him out with a headshot from my USP. I laughed for 5 minutes straight after that one.

Holy shit that is devious. Autoweapon switch ftw for once.

Arrath on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma (or vanilla, or Black) on Master Ninja.

If you want to beat them, you basically need to be "zen" the whole way through.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Sentinel XIVSentinel XIV Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've had to momentous moments (am I allowed to say that?) of zen when playing games. My first being bowling a 300 in Tekken Tags bowling game. The other more recent instance was when I accrued 33 kills in Rainbow Six: Las Vegas multiplayer just by 'no scoping'. And I didn't cheat with the tape on the screen like some assholes I know.

Sentinel XIV on
    F**K C*N**RS**P!!*!
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know what?

This thread has made me realize I need to get into multiplayer gaming again. Are there any console shooters getting played that aren't fullprice?

yalborap on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It used to be in Halo, I would pick up the sniper rifle, shift to one side of the map, announce to my team where I was -- and mute the mic, and turn the volume down.

When nobody is screaming in my ear where the flag is, or laughing about a kill, or doing anything; I get in a trance. The only thing I see is that little circle and the visors of the other team.

I did it at a friend's house just a few days ago, having not played Halo 3 in a good while. My ratio was 28:15, twenty-one of those kills being headshots with the sniper rifle.

People on Coagulation back in Halo 2 can attest to my ability to put the circle between their eyes and squeeze the trigger. It's a skill I hope I can get razor-sharp again as soon as I get an internet connection of my own this month.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    About 5:30 in Area 5 in Rez, everything just clicked and I couldn't even feel myself playing the game any more. We were one.

I haven't been able to recreate this with the XBLA version, unfortunately.

DarkPrimus on