[D&D 4e Discussion] Jim thinks this thread title shouldn't change so often

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is there any penalty to two-weapon fighting now? I'm having a spot of trouble trying to find the two-weapon fighting rules. I know some weapons are designated as offhand, and that the ranger can use two one-handed weapons, but I've yet to find anything terribly comprehensive.

Hexmage-PA on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There are no penalties. You get bonuses only if you take the feats. You can attack with any of the weapons you wield in any attack, but never at the same time.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're wielding two weapons, one of which has the off-hand property, you get to choose which one to attack with and you also get +1 to damage if you have the two-weapon fighting feat. That's it really.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    So, is it just me, or is the new Detect Magic pretty ridiculous?

Since the DC is set by the level of the spell, you can easily detect a minor prestidigitation, but the 50-foot portal to hell with demons pouring out of it? Hmmm, sorry, doesn't seem to be magical.

That's kind of ridiculous.

Hate to sort of necro-quote. But I had this exact problem as I was writing out my campaign.

I used the inverse as a default... because it actually makes sense.

(For Sense the presence of magic / Identify Conjuration or Zone) If you want to know the exact thing that it is, then I've kept the normal DCs.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shit, that's fucking sweet. Much better than the 3.5 approach: "giant penalty, take feats to lessen penalty".

Hexmage-PA on
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does multi-classing work in 4E? I've heard it's pretty different now.

cytorak on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Shit, that's fucking sweet. Much better than the 3.5 approach: "giant penalty, take feats to lessen penalty".

You generally can't attack with both weapons at the same time, though. Really, you only use two weapons in a few instances:

1) you are not proficient in any two-handed or versatile weapons, or
    2) you have multiple one-handed weapons that you need to be able to switch between without wasting minor actions (wizard dagger/implement or rogue shuriken/dagger), or
    3) you are a TWF ranger with powers that allow you to attack with both weapons at the same time.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited June 2008
    cytorak wrote: »
    How does multi-classing work in 4E? I've heard it's pretty different now.

Multiclassing in the new edition is done with feats. Essentially, rather than being two classes equally, you have a primary class with which you can choose to give up some abilities to gain abilities from your second class.

There are four feats. The first usually gives you a specific trained skill or small bonus and the ability to use one of the second class' at-will powers as an encounter power. The next three feats are power swap feats, essentially allowing you to take an encounter power, utility power, and daily power from your second class.

Finally, when you reach paragon levels, you can choose to take a paragon path from your second class (instead of from your primary class, if you choose), or you can take no paragon path at all and instead select one additional encounter, utility, and daily power from your second class at levels 11, 16, and 20.

delroland on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »

Maptools I want to like, but the DM's router situation pretty much keeps it from being used as noone can seem to see his maps.

This is because the DM hasn't set any parts of the map as viewable by the players. He needs to remove the fog of war and/or add tokens and allow them visibility.

ed: DM can upload the campaign to a site like rapidshare and then have everyone have it on their machines beforehand.
    The maps were actually not loading, everyone trying to switch to the map would get a black screen with a "loading- %60" box that wouldn't move. Though, thinking about it, it's possible he just didn't unfog things for us.

In any case, the rapidshare idea sounds like a good fix. Just need to figure out how to make it work so that they're in the right folder.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited June 2008
    I got it. The additional Gnome Titan racial perk will be "powerful build".

delroland on
    edited June 2008
    A thought I had today: if Eladrin are essentially "elves from the Feywild" and Elves are "elves from the Prime", why aren't Drow "elves from the Shadowfell"? Their racial powers of darkness seem a perfect fit for the theme.

delroland on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    A thought I had today: if Eladrin are essentially "elves from the Feywild" and Elves are "elves from the Prime", why aren't Drow "elves from the Shadowfell"? Their racial powers of darkness seem a perfect fit for the theme.

Tradition. The Drow have always been an evil race who worshiped Lolth and lived in the underdark and so that is how they remained. At least thats the only reason I can really think of.

On the other hand the Shadar-Kai would make a good replacement if you wanted a group of elves from the shadowfell. In a custom campaign I could see dropping the Drow altogether and simply making the Shadar-Kai the third race of elves.

Last Son on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »

Maptools I want to like, but the DM's router situation pretty much keeps it from being used as noone can seem to see his maps.

This is because the DM hasn't set any parts of the map as viewable by the players. He needs to remove the fog of war and/or add tokens and allow them visibility.

ed: DM can upload the campaign to a site like rapidshare and then have everyone have it on their machines beforehand.
    The maps were actually not loading, everyone trying to switch to the map would get a black screen with a "loading- %60" box that wouldn't move. Though, thinking about it, it's possible he just didn't unfog things for us.

In any case, the rapidshare idea sounds like a good fix. Just need to figure out how to make it work so that they're in the right folder.

He should try making lower quality maps that aren't so gigantic. :) If it's pretty much just one huge image and a few objects, he probably could reduce the background image a lot and still have it perfectly functional.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I thought those were the Shadar-Kai?

Professor Phobos on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

I thought those were the Shadar-Kai?
    Shadar-Kai are variant humans.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • brentoddbrentodd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I need to punch Amazon... or maybe the USPS. I ordered the 4e books last week - package tracking shows them leaving the "facility" 4 days ago. The "facility" is about 12 minutes away... :x

Anyway - I've been toying with the idea of Mages being able to brand themselves with arcane symbols, as a way to focus their power. Imagine melting gold down, and using it at the ink in a mystic tattoo of sorts. Without actually having the books to look at yet, I don't really know what this kind of thing would look like within the rules. Currently, I'm thinking these brands can probably work as a wand?

One of the other things I thought of about this: what if the brands could be conferred to others? But as part of the ritual of branding, the will of the recipient is subtly bound to the will of the brander - so that if a power hungry fighter gets a few brands, he's all of the sudden the unwilling slave of a powerful mage?

It's an idea I've toyed with every now and then over the past couple of years... but I've never done anything with it (haven't played a pencil-and-paper RP game in years), and I wondered if you guys would have any cool thoughts about it, or comments on how it could (or couldn't) work within the rules.

brentodd on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ground gold might serve as tattoo ink but molten gold would not work well....not unless you like your muscle well done.

Edit: Oh and the subtle binding thing is pretty far afield from anything in 4th. Hard to express in a quantitative fashion and all.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    They could duplicate the function of any magic item, probably, depending on where the tattoo was placed. But a permanently burned magic item slot is kinda pricey IMHO.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, hey, swordmage.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • brentoddbrentodd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ground gold might serve as tattoo ink but molten gold would not work well....not unless you like your muscle well done.

Well - it is meant to be a brand, more than a tattoo... the pain and damage involved in embedding your flesh with molten metal can be lessened by the fact that this a magical ritual... sure it hurts like hell, but the nature of the ritual can ease some of the nastiness. That is another thought I had had about this though - these wounds could possibly not heal well, and continually weep blood a pus for a few weeks or something.... maybe some penalty associated with that... who knows?
    Edit: Oh and the subtle binding thing is pretty far afield from anything in 4th. Hard to express in a quantitative fashion and all.

Saving throw with small penalty per brand? I mean.. taking free will away from players is generally not a good thing - but could make for some interesting NPC bad guys (or henchmen for your not-so-nice PC).

Now that I think about it, this part of the idea is very similar to what a Chiang-Ku dragon could do in Heroes Unlimited/Rifts - they could brew up a potion that gives someone superhero powers for a few weeks, but they slowly become addicted, and mind-slaves to the dragon. Probably where I got the idea from.

Hmm... magic tattoos were in Rifts too... I'm just an unoriginal bastard.

brentodd on
    edited June 2008
    Ardent wrote: »
    They could duplicate the function of any magic item, probably, depending on where the tattoo was placed. But a permanently burned magic item slot is kinda pricey IMHO.
    Oh, it'd work well as a replacement implement. A simple ritual would take care of swapping out for new ones.

Edit in reference to the above: Oh, you could probably use the Disease rules to model it which are fairly cool and can deal with a slow progression well. As an NPC thing it really doesn't matter how you work it out, such things are probably very hard to do well for PCs.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    But how do you deal with the heavy metal poisoning from the gold?

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
    edited June 2008
    ElderCat wrote: »
    This is fourth edition, real world biology has no place here! Begone!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    Should have gone with the obvious answer. "Its Magic!"

Last Son on
    edited June 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Should have gone with the obvious answer. "Its Magic!"
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

Der Waffle Mous on
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So my friend is running a game a couple months from now that takes place here. Somehow taping sharks to your feet and using them as roller skates came up and that progressed to talking about that race, Saughin (is that how you spell it?), and I thought it'd be tight to make a Saughin PC at some point.

Where can I find more information about aquatic humanoid D&D races or just Saughin for that matter. Any suggested aquatic races for a campaign like this?

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Well, Saughin are generally evil bastards so they may not be the best PC race(unless you're doing an evil campaign). In fact most aquatic humanoids are evil, with the exception of sea-elves, unless you start counting elementals and what-not.

As for information on them, old edition source books are great for info but assuming you don't have access to them the best bet would be to trawl around the internet for old D&D articles, or for old legends/myths.

Last Son on
    edited June 2008
    Sahuagin....the sea devils who are like psycho fuckers who rip everybody but themselves apart? They really aren't suitable to PC's in a standard campaign. I mean, the fuckers are basically waterborne gremlins.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    Ah ok, I know nothing about them other than they ride sharks. Suggestions are still welcome!

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Well sea elves are the traditional choice....since they're, ya know, elves in the water and can still move around on the land without dying and stuff.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2008
    Perhaps, not really a fan of elves personally. I was thinking at some point if my character was amphibious (only being able to stay on land short periods of time) I could do a quest to find a decanter of endless water and modify it to fit around my gills (abe sabian rip off I know).

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, I figure I might as well push my homebrew Necromancer class, for anyone who is interested:

Main document: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcgjm4fk_0dp2nwngs
    Minion stats: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcgjm4fk_3d9vm34sq

Still a work in progress, but it does have all 30 levels, 4 paragon paths (Dark Reaper is the newest, so it might have some issues), 1 epic destiny, a dozen magic items, an artifact, minions (heroic tier only at the moment), etc.

Just don't let your slowest player have one, because it does violate the rules of economy of action somewhat.

I'll eventually create some generic and unique enemies for DMs who want necromantic enemies as well. That's probably slightly lower priority than player related issues though.

Feel free to give any feedback or to use in your campaigns.

programjunkie on
    edited June 2008
    Flipping through the old 2e Monstrous Manual the only non-evil humanoid aquatic races I could find are:

A) Locathah; who are basically humanoid fish whom have a chubby gut. They also can't breathe air or walk on land, so probably not a good choice.
    B) Sea Elves; they're elves who live under the sea, hang out with dolphins, and hate sahuagin. Can walk on land but can't breathe air without magical assistance.
    C) Mermen; can apparently breathe air but start to dehydrate and take damage if out of the water for more than an hour, can't walk on land.
    D) Tritons; doesn't actually say whether they can breathe air/walk on land which you'd think would be rather important. But given their massive xenophobia and magic resistance(90%!) they'd probably make bad/overpowered PCs.

Last Son on
    edited June 2008
    Well shit, maybe I'll just craft my own race.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »

You could always be a tragically misunderstood Sahuagin with a heart of gold, banished from your homelands because you refuse to be an evil bastard like everyone else. You took your pet shark and headed for dry land, determined to prove your- okay, I can't go on, but you get the idea.

Kane Red Robe on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

You could always be a tragically misunderstood Sahuagin with a heart of gold, banished from your homelands because you refuse to be an evil bastard like everyone else. You took your pet shark and headed for dry land, determined to prove your- okay, I can't go on, but you get the idea.

Use two swordfish.

Greeper on
    edited June 2008

Yeah, true.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Greeper wrote: »

Use two swordfish.

I was trying to think of a way to work that in, but I think tridents are two handed, and I couldn't really think of any other traditional underwater weaponry. Good show.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited June 2008
    I don't know if they still exist in 4e but you could also be a Malenti(A sahuagin who looks like a sea-elf). Maybe you were only abandoned at birth instead of eaten and were then found by a fishing village and raised on the land. You've been told you were an elf you're whole life and were raised to be a good little boy but you have to constantly fight urges to fly into a murderous rage and kill those around you.

Last Son on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    fun

TheBog on
This discussion has been closed.