As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e Discussion] Jim thinks this thread title shouldn't change so often

• Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So hey, does this Fighter check out? http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=59282

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    blue tapeblue tape Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ughhhhhhh I have the best idea for this Sahuagin business, but I can't tell Shoggoth because it's a spoiler for the campaign we're currently running.

blue tape on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, new computer is so good but I lost this weekend for writing because I don't have MS word or similar on my computer at the moment. So I won't be able to make any updates or similar until I get it installed.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I'm starting up a new 4e game on some other boards if anybody fancies it.

Also, for those that don't. I have some questions about suitable monsters:
    We're starting at level 1, and I want to open with a couple of combats. So I need some suitable creatures, the first encounter being a swarm of shadowy minions (not in the D&D sense, just a fairly straight forward one) and the second being a much larger version who is a solo and much harder. I'm happy to reskin monsters, at the moment in my mind they look a bit like the heartless from Kingdom Hearts. It's the second combat really, what is the largest monster (in size categories) a first level party can beat? I'm at work and don't have my books with me so I can't look myself or make anything

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Man, new computer is so good but I lost this weekend for writing because I don't have MS word or similar on my computer at the moment. So I won't be able to make any updates or similar until I get it installed.

http://www.openoffice.org

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How about aquatic humans for a PC race? The 3.5 supplement Stormwrack had the aventi, which were amphibious descendants of a sunken Atlantis-like empire. They basically looked like humans with small fins on their wrists and ankles.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dortmunder wrote: »

You'll never touch microsoft office again.

Also if anyone has played this all of its components are great for pretty standard dungeons. I mean you can't get to creative, but its a great visual for newcomers.

Troy on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Troy wrote: »

Also if anyone has played this all of its components are great for pretty standard dungeons. I mean you can't get to creative, but its a great visual for newcomers.

That's a bit cost ineffective though, seeing as how the game costs $80 for some tiles. Personally i used the tutorial given in the old thread to make my own 3d interlocking tiles. for like $25 in supplies you can have a huge amount of tiles.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

That's a bit cost ineffective though, seeing as how the game costs $80 for some tiles. Personally i used the tutorial given in the old thread to make my own 3d interlocking tiles. for like $25 in supplies you can have a huge amount of tiles.

Right if you were buying the game just for the interlocking tiles. But then one would be kind of an idiot to do that.

The game in and of itself is terribly entertaining and is very much a D&D lite that you can get just about anyone to play.
    It also comes with a ridiculous amount of miniatures one could use as both monsters and PC's.

So basically I'm saying if the game has ever looked apealing to you, you should get it because:

A) It's fun as hell and is really well made.

B) Most of it's components work excellently for your D&D game.

I mean hell if for some reason a few people flake out one session, you can just play Descent and have just as good of a time.

Troy on
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Link?

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    -Removed because on further review, Stalin was not at all like the prostitute in Catcher in the Rye.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    MY EYES!

I think you wanted this thread

Dajian on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    So I'm starting up a new 4e game on some other boards if anybody fancies it.

Also, for those that don't. I have some questions about suitable monsters:
    We're starting at level 1, and I want to open with a couple of combats. So I need some suitable creatures, the first encounter being a swarm of shadowy minions (not in the D&D sense, just a fairly straight forward one) and the second being a much larger version who is a solo and much harder. I'm happy to reskin monsters, at the moment in my mind they look a bit like the heartless from Kingdom Hearts. It's the second combat really, what is the largest monster (in size categories) a first level party can beat? I'm at work and don't have my books with me so I can't look myself or make anything
    kobolds. download the kobold expansion from the site, it even has kobolds written as swarms!

Pony on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How dare you tell me what thread I want! Being correct has nothing to do with it, I will cause eye bleeding at no gain to myself if I so choose!

(translation: Sorry)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, I figure I might as well push my homebrew Necromancer class, for anyone who is interested:

Main document: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcgjm4fk_0dp2nwngs
    Minion stats: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcgjm4fk_3d9vm34sq

Still a work in progress, but it does have all 30 levels, 4 paragon paths (Dark Reaper is the newest, so it might have some issues), 1 epic destiny, a dozen magic items, an artifact, minions (heroic tier only at the moment), etc.

Just don't let your slowest player have one, because it does violate the rules of economy of action somewhat.

I'll eventually create some generic and unique enemies for DMs who want necromantic enemies as well. That's probably slightly lower priority than player related issues though.

Feel free to give any feedback or to use in your campaigns.

Why Thievery?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    Well, I figure I might as well push my homebrew Necromancer class, for anyone who is interested:

Main document: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcgjm4fk_0dp2nwngs
    Minion stats: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcgjm4fk_3d9vm34sq

Still a work in progress, but it does have all 30 levels, 4 paragon paths (Dark Reaper is the newest, so it might have some issues), 1 epic destiny, a dozen magic items, an artifact, minions (heroic tier only at the moment), etc.

Just don't let your slowest player have one, because it does violate the rules of economy of action somewhat.

I'll eventually create some generic and unique enemies for DMs who want necromantic enemies as well. That's probably slightly lower priority than player related issues though.

Feel free to give any feedback or to use in your campaigns.

Why Thievery?
    Bad Luck seems unbalancing overpowered for a Level 1 Encounter Power. It almost certainly shouldn't hit automatically, and it should probably be much smaller than a burst 10. I'd say for an encounter power make it Int (?) vs. Fort and Close Burst 1 or 2.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is something I've been wondering for a bit, but certain powers (namely martial ones) have you doing only your STR modifier in damage. This is really minor but I'm rather curious about it.

Now, say there's a fighter with 16 str and uses cleave. At first level this will be 3 damage to the secondary target. Does your level modifier come into play and you start doing 4+ damage at level 2 and higher or does it stay at 3 until you start raising stats?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Right if you were buying the game just for the interlocking tiles. But then one would be kind of an idiot to do that.

The game in and of itself is terribly entertaining and is very much a D&D lite that you can get just about anyone to play.
    It also comes with a ridiculous amount of miniatures one could use as both monsters and PC's.

So basically I'm saying if the game has ever looked apealing to you, you should get it because:

A) It's fun as hell and is really well made.

B) Most of it's components work excellently for your D&D game.

I mean hell if for some reason a few people flake out one session, you can just play Descent and have just as good of a time.

This isn't a board game thread, but i'd honestly have to disagree. Generally the games in descent are horribly one sided to the players or the overlord. There's an assload of suggestions to fix it on their forums but none of them really work. It's a Fantasy flight game, so the rules are so full of eratta and complication that it makes the eratta for the typical wizard's product pale in comparison. The mini's are cheap and unpainted. the interlocking tiles are really the only redeeming thing.

If you're thinking of spending $80 on it, i'd reconsider. If you want to play D&D lite, just play D&D and make some quick crap up at least that way you don't have to teach people a completely different set of rules.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure it's just the modifier. I can't see them having you do 15+mod damage on the secondary target. That could be more than average for rolling even.

Toothy on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cleave is mainly for clearing out minion fodder is it not? It still would be very useful for that regardless of the exact damage it does then no?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Had a question about Warlocks...

Playing a home game, one of our characters decided to be a human warlock. As a human you get 1 extra at-will power. How does the warlock pick his extra power? He already gets Eldritch Blast and his pact power. Does he just pick from another pact and call it good? I didn't read all the posts looking for the answer to this one question, so if it's already been answered, whoops. I also didn't see anything in the PHB about this, so we were all very confused.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Cleave is mainly for clearing out minion fodder is it not? It still would be very useful for that regardless of the exact damage it does then no?

I see cleave mainly as a way for a fighter to deal with a non minion enemy while still being able to eliminate minions too close for the other player's AOEs. Which makes it extremely useful as long as it's doing 1 damage. So i fully agree.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay, cleave is a good example, but I was thinking more along the lines of Furious Smash becoming more and more useless to the point where it starts feeling like you're basically wasting a turn to give a small advantage.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    kuhlmeye wrote: »

Playing a home game, one of our characters decided to be a human warlock. As a human you get 1 extra at-will power. How does the warlock pick his extra power? He already gets Eldritch Blast and his pact power. Does he just pick from another pact and call it good? I didn't read all the posts looking for the answer to this one question, so if it's already been answered, whoops. I also didn't see anything in the PHB about this, so we were all very confused.
    Yes, you just pick one extra. is the confusion from the (pact type) designations on all the powers? Because if it is, don't worry about it; you can take powers from any pact with any other pact but pact powers get bonus effects if you have that pact.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Playing a home game, one of our characters decided to be a human warlock. As a human you get 1 extra at-will power. How does the warlock pick his extra power? He already gets Eldritch Blast and his pact power. Does he just pick from another pact and call it good? .

I thought about this as well, picking another pact power is really your only option. All the at will powers are pretty useful. Your curse and other powers still take into account your singe pact choice.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    brentodd wrote: »
    Hmm... magic tattoos were in Rifts too... I'm just an unoriginal bastard.
    They were also in 3E Oriental Adventures/Rokugan. Tattooed Monk. They were pretty cool. Expanded Psionics also had psionic tattoos. The problem I'd see with magic tattooing is interchangability... are they? I'm not sure if it'd be more appropriate for them to fill a slot (arms, for example) or for there to be a tattooing/branding section of feats, like with Eberron and Dragonmarked.

GungHo on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Yes, you just pick one extra. is the confusion from the (pact type) designations on all the powers? Because if it is, don't worry about it; you can take powers from any pact with any other pact but pact powers get bonus effects if you have that pact.

Thats what we ended up doing, because it's really the only option that made any sense at the time. Thanks for clearing it up.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, is it really worth it to multiclass into Warlock? The way it reads, you don't get the Warlock's Curse, which is crucial to the Warlock Paragon path abilities.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    cytorak wrote: »
    So, is it really worth it to multiclass into Warlock? The way it reads, you don't get the Warlock's Curse, which is crucial to the Warlock Paragon path abilities.

Not as written.

I give out Curse 1/ Encounter, since it fits the model for strikers giving an 'extra dice' ability 1/encounter.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Legionnaired the chart is wrong, you get a pact power once a day, no curse what so ever.
    Depends on what you want. If you want new and exciting Paragon paths....no. Just like Ranger at the moment. Well, you can qualify for Warlock paths, they just do very, very little for you.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Legionnaired the chart is wrong, you get a pact power once a day, no curse what so ever.
    Depends on what you want. If you want new and exciting Paragon paths....no. Just like Ranger at the moment. Well, you can qualify for Warlock paths, they just do very, very little for you.

I'm aware. I think that's stupid, and so I give out the curse and no pact power.

Compare to Ranger.

Speaking of Ranger, the feat should probably say something like this:
    You gain training in one skill from the Ranger's class list. 
    Once per encounter, you may use the ranger's Hunter's Quarry class feature.

In addition, choose a fighting style. :

Archery: You gain a +1 Feat bonus to AC against opportunity attacks caused by making a ranged attack in melee.
    Two-Weapon Fighting: Once per encounter, when holding two weapons, you may gain a +1 bonus to damage with attacks made with your main hand weapon.

These fighting styles qualify you for feats or Paragon Paths as if you were a ranger who selected that fighting style.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well now add in that you won't qualify for a pact based path then...

Also the Quarry only works for a single round and if the Curse mimics that the paths are still pretty horrible.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Feytouched is a decent path to multiclass into.

Sure, you aren't getting the full benefit of it.

but there's still good benefits.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well now add in that you won't qualify for a pact based path then...

Also the Quarry only works for a single round and if the Curse mimics that the paths are still pretty horrible.

That's just flatly not true:
    PHB 104 wrote:

Once per turn as a minor action, you can designate the enemy nearest to you as your quarry.

Once per round, you deal extra damage to your quarry. The extra damage is based on your level. If you make multiple attacks in a round, you decide which attack to apply the extra damage to after all the attacks are rolled.

The Hunter's Quarry effect remains in effect until the end of the encounter, until the quarry is defeated, or until you designate a different target as your quarry.

You can designate one enemy as your quarry at a time.

You must be thinking of the Paladin's thing, whose extra damage is only good until the end of your next turn.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I believe he is talking about the multiclass ranger feature.

Edit:

Which has an errata that adds this to the end of the text on p 208: "The target you designate as your quarry remains so until the end of your next turn.

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So the PA DND podcasts episode 6-8 thingies just came up on the feed but none of the links seem to work for me, it the same for anyone else? :(

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mushiwulf wrote: »
    I believe he is talking about the multiclass ranger feature.

Edit:

Which has an errata that adds this to the end of the text on p 208: "The target you designate as your quarry remains so until the end of your next turn.

Fuck the errata.

Edit: I guess that's not too bad - it stays on par with the other striker damage addons. The same thing applied to the warlock curse would still make it effective, you just have to make sure that its an enemy on death's door - and you have to exercise some caution.

Also, has anyone noticed how fucking awesome intimidate is? If someone is bloodied, you can make a standard action Intimidate v. Will, and they rout. A Dragonborn Brutal Scoundrel Rogue really comes into his own after the first stat bump and you get a respectable dex score, as your Sly Flourish is dealing like, 1d6 + 2d8 + 10, and you get something stupid like a +14 to your intimidate, which is flatly higher than some creature's will scores.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    MushiwulfMushiwulf Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I, uh... okay.

Mushiwulf on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    So the PA DND podcasts episode 6-8 thingies just came up on the feed but none of the links seem to work for me, it the same for anyone else? :(

You'll notice they are future dated. Chances are they won't be downloadable until those dates.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DVG wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »

You'll notice they are future dated. Chances are they won't be downloadable until those dates.
    Mine don't appear to be, could you post the dates on yours here, please? I've never played D&D but I really want to now having heard these podcasts.

815165 on
This discussion has been closed.