As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cellular Automotive

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    guys I want a new cell phone

I have verizon and I've decided I dislike their pricing and coverage where I live now

so I plan to get t-mobile again, but I want a good text messaging phone that's not huge like the eNV or that new samsung one with the full keyboard

what's good out there for GSM?

hmmmm

so, you want something with text messaging but doesn't have a huge full keyboard?

off the top of my head, the Samsung "Blast" and classic BlackBerry "Pearl" are pretty good phones with keyboards halfway between a full QWERTY and simple numpad that are easy to text with and they fit in a pocket really easily.
    Does T-Mobile get something similar to the LG Scoop/Rumor? It has the slide out keyboard but is the size of most other normal bar phones. I have it and am very very pleased. I think it may be Alltel/Sprint only though.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like to talk on the cellphone when I am in bumper to bumper traffic. It is probably the only thing that keeps me from just going ape shit and taking a nap.

However I hate it when I am riding and I almost get side swiped by someone on a cell phone because they are not paying attention to their fuckin mirrors. Or (because motorcycles are practically invisible) they don't think its necessary to turn on their turn signals.

The two closest calls I have had and the one wreck I have been in all were due to people on their cell phones at the time. Instead of a "No cell phones" I think a "Cell phones only in the right hand lane" would best be in order.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Jigrah wrote: »
    I like to talk on the cellphone when I am in bumper to bumper traffic. It is probably the only thing that keeps me from just going ape shit and taking a nap.

However I hate it when I am riding and I almost get side swiped by someone on a cell phone because they are not paying attention to their fuckin mirrors. Or (because motorcycles are practically invisible) they don't think its necessary to turn on their turn signals.

The two closest calls I have had and the one wreck I have been in all were due to people on their cell phones at the time. Instead of a "No cell phones" I think a "Cell phones only in the right hand lane" would best be in order.

Or more of a general 'Do what you want, but if you cause a horrific accident due to being a fucking douche, you go to jail for 20 years'.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I feel a bit distracted on the phone while driving so I avoid it whenever possible. But it's illegal for anyone under 18 to do that in NC so there is that too.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Or more of a general 'Do what you want, but if you cause a horrific accident due to being a fucking douche, you go to jail for 20 years'.

Well, truthfully I don't think its cellphones that are the problem. The same people that are douches on cellphones while driving are douches without cell phones driving. The problem is it gives us something else to blame.

My sister for instance likes to do her makeup in the car on her way to work. I can assure you it would be safer for her to be on a cell phone as compared to doing makeup. The problem isn't the makeup, its the lack of real value people place on driving well.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How could you do makeup in a car while driving, mascara wand straight to the eyeball.
    The mind boggles.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hope Framling comes to post about his phone soon.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ani_B wrote: »
    How could you do makeup in a car while driving, mascara wand straight to the eyeball.
    The mind boggles.

Its easy, you just switch lanes a lot.

Unintentionally. (Although to be fair I think it was mostly... powder maybe, the stuff with the sponge and the ya know, colors?)

Eyeshadow maybe

Ani_B on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The mind boggles.

Its easy, you just switch lanes a lot.

Unintentionally. (Although to be fair I think it was mostly... powder maybe, the stuff with the sponge and the ya know, colors?)

Eyeshadow maybe

Those require closing your eyes though right? Man, I bet she put that on, its after I survived so many rides with her that I start to wonder if I should believe in a guardian angel.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One eye at a time. Your sister is crazy. Hate to break it to you. I am doctor and all.

Ani_B on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    gazamc wrote: »
    oh no. you might have to wait until you stop your car to make that amazingly important call.

whatever will you do? (except run less people over)

Fewer

Lesser

Smaller

Inferior

Now I've got that Daft Punk song stuck in my head.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One eye at a time. Your sister is crazy. Hate to break it to you. I am doctor and all.

Oh Yah, I bet my sister can beat up your sister.

(I got nothing, anyone wanna step in for me?)

Jigrah on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Oh Yah, I bet my sister can get pregnant at an earlier age and become a fat white trash bitch married to the guy that smacks her around and does coke.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    BYToady wrote: »

Oh Yah, I bet my sister can get pregnant at an earlier age and become a fat white trash bitch married to the guy that smacks her around and does coke.

This was so close to my sister, but my parents forced her to get birth control.

This was when she was 15.

This does not need to be a TOTP

Jigrah on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    here:
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/26/internal-att-memo-indicates-groundbreaking-iphone-3g-feature-mms/
    Check this out. New reports are coming in that a very interesting memo is currently circulating internally at AT&T. Said memo reportedly lists a variety of features that will supposedly be included on the upcoming iPhone 3G. Among them is an exciting new service that - get this - allows you to send SMS-like messages that include multimedia attachments. Imagine! The service, cleverly named Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) supposedly allows users to attach one or more image, audio file or even video and deliver the message along with text. The recipient of the message will then see and / or hear the multimedia on his or her mobile. Nutty. None of this is confirmed as of yet, but how sweet would it be if a mobile phone had functionality like this?! Oh Apple, you’ve done it again! Next thing you know we’ll find out that Apple has figured out a way to copy text from one place and paste it to another. Ok, that’s just crazy talk.

Hah hah how clever of you Apple. Well we shall see then. If there is an MMS-like capability, then I may give the iPhone a spin when my current contract expires in 9 months time.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    it's because apple has somehow dodged the label of "evil corporation"

when in reality they lock down their expensive hardware and force you to use their crappy software all while becoming a cultural icon

And by "somehow," you of course mean "really good marketing."

What is their 'really good marketing'? The only marketing I've seen for iPhone consists of a few short adverts demonstrating some of the basic functions of the phone. I guess they have a section on their website for it as well which...basically runs through everything the iPhone can do. And...maybe a demonstration at a key note speech? And demonstration models in shops?

So basically, their 'really good marketing' consists solely of just putting the phone in front of people and letting them decide if they like the functionality or not?

Devious!

Why don't manufacturers with cheaper alternatives that do the same stuff just go out and demo their product as well?

Are you fucking serious? What the hell? You haven't noticed Apple marketing their product line? Nobody can be that stupid, you must've been living in a fucking cave for the last like ten years not to have seen the commercials.

Where did the perception that "it never crashes" or "it just works" come from? Remember those "switch" ads? Remember the ads that showed the computers as plain, white boxes with "grape" and "orange" Mac logos on them? Remember the time fucking Bono was in iPod commercials? Perhaps you remember the iPod commercials in general, the black silhouettes on colored backgrounds with white iPods and earbud cords? How about the Mac vs PC commercials? And, uh, yeah, the iPhone has run a number of TV (and other media) ads as well. If you haven't noticed Apple's aggressive marketing, you're either entirely disconnected from mass media, or you're exactly the kind of stupid cow I'm talking about, because it's so fucking aggressive and obvious that if you can't recognize when you see it, you're dumb as fuck.

Defender on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    agreeing with defender

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    I like Apple

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Harsh words Defender, but I'll be damned if you aren't absolutely right.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    szech has a history of being retarded on the forum

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    here:
    http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/06/26/internal-att-memo-indicates-groundbreaking-iphone-3g-feature-mms/
    Check this out. New reports are coming in that a very interesting memo is currently circulating internally at AT&T. Said memo reportedly lists a variety of features that will supposedly be included on the upcoming iPhone 3G. Among them is an exciting new service that - get this - allows you to send SMS-like messages that include multimedia attachments. Imagine! The service, cleverly named Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) supposedly allows users to attach one or more image, audio file or even video and deliver the message along with text. The recipient of the message will then see and / or hear the multimedia on his or her mobile. Nutty. None of this is confirmed as of yet, but how sweet would it be if a mobile phone had functionality like this?! Oh Apple, you’ve done it again! Next thing you know we’ll find out that Apple has figured out a way to copy text from one place and paste it to another. Ok, that’s just crazy talk.

maybe they'll add some video support into the damn phone, too

what's the point in having a 2.0mp camera and 8GB of space when you can't even take videos?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm trying to be nice by providing an out for him via "I don't really watch that much TV" or "Oh, I didn't realize that that's what you were talking about" since he wasn't overly obnoxious about it. At the same time, it's pull-your-hair-out obvious that Apple's marketing is up there with Nintendo's. Actually, Nintendo's system design and marketing seem to be taking a page out of Apple's playbook lately.

Defender on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sometimes i'm glad i read the rest of a thread before posting because every so often defender saves me a lot of time and energy by posting my thoughts better than i could have posted them myself

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    potatoe wrote: »
    sometimes i'm glad i read the rest of a thread before posting because every so often defender saves me a lot of time and energy by posting my thoughts better than i could have posted them myself

even about the wii??

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Most of your examples weren't iPhone specific which is what I thought we were talking about. But yeah, ok, apple has established a very strong brand in general which no doubt helps sell iPhones.

But the iPhone specific marketing is just demonstrations of what the product does. I just don't get how you can critisise them for it. Its hardly duplicitous.

As an aside, where the hell did I get this reputation for being retarded from? Fuck Dru, you used to be cool with me. I mean, I make shitpost sometimes, sure but no one here can truthfully claim that they've never.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »

even about the wii??

i knew there was a reason i used a few key words and phrases like "sometimes" and "every so often"

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Most of your examples weren't iPhone specific which is what I thought we were talking about. But yeah, ok, apple has established a very strong brand in general which no doubt helps sell iPhones.

But the iPhone specific marketing is just demonstrations of what the product does. I just don't get how you can critisise them for it. Its hardly duplicitous.

As an aside, where the hell did I get this reputation for being retarded from? Fuck Dru, you used to be cool with me. I mean, I make shitpost sometimes, sure but no one here can truthfully claim that they've never.

i can honestly say that i have never made a bad post

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

even about the wii??

i knew there was a reason i used a few key words and phrases like "sometimes" and "every so often"

no it's okay, you have a 360 now you can stop defending the wii

be a cool kid, taters

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

would you also say that you are humble?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

would you also say that you are humble?

i'm not one to toot my own horn but since you brought it up, yes, yes i am

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

even about the wii??

be a cool kid, taters

the wii is my little retarded love child
    he may not be the brightest, or the prettiest, but dammit i will love him to the ends of the earth

potatoe on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait, how is that being a tool
    refusing to deal with a product because the marketing is good or it's popular or whatever drips of being a tool to me

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

even about the wii??

be a cool kid, taters

the wii is my little retarded love child
    he may not be the brightest, or the prettiest, but dammit i will love him to the ends of the earth

if it didn't have Mega Man 9 coming out for it i would probably get rid of mine

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i still hold faith in nintendo's ability to make totally bitchin' first-party games

potatoe on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wait, how is that being a tool
    refusing to deal with a product because the marketing is good or it's popular or whatever drips of being a tool to me
    that's not quite it, though

more like I hate what the marketing implies about me if I use it
    I hate the mac guy in the mac vs pc commercials, and I hate the hipsters who hang out at starbucks every day with their little berets and goatees and their little macintoshes and iphones

If I buy apple products, not only am I forced, via apple's subversive campaign, to join their ranks, but I also strengthen their cultural dominance

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's a fucking iPod not a socialist society.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i'm so hipster with my macbook and my ipod loaded up with britney spears' music

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    also, I'm a huge asshole

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    also, I'm a huge asshole

Not really.

You're pretty much just like any nerd who thinks that popular=bad, and comes up with a bunch of feeble strawmen to justify your halfassed attempts at being counterculture.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    also, I'm a huge asshole

Not really.

You're pretty much just like any nerd who thinks that popular=bad, and comes up with a bunch of feeble strawmen to justify your halfassed attempts at being counterculture.

I like plenty of popular things!

uh

hm

gimme a second

Randall_Flagg on