As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

• Options
    iammeiamiammeiam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    tarnok wrote:
    No, I've got that. I'll put the stuff in the frying pan, select the pan and choose to cook the stuff and it will say that I can't make that yet. I assumed that this meant that I wasn't high enough level at cooking to make that particular dish yet, but no combination of stuff seems to result in something I can cook. I can't even combine water and coffee.

Don't combine stuff. More specifically, [spoiler:da53f1d850]just throw a single meat in the pan and cook that. I have no idea when you level enough to start combining stuff (I've just arrived at the Ft. Eagle island), but you can cook just meat, or just rotten meat, or just wild game, etc, and get basic food that way.[/spoiler:da53f1d850]

iammeiam on
  • Options
    endlosnullendlosnull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    So I guess I love this game. I'm ashamed of myself for thinking for even a minute that I should just wait for Taya to finish it and play her copy.
    I got all the outfits, in the place after the desert. Loving it.
    I didn't really hunt through the thread (due to my connection being on the fritz today), but what are the effects of Karma? I've noticed it plumeting recently due to me stealing from everything and picking locks all the time, and I'm wondering if I should be worried.

On the pieces of the thing in the pyramid, I've gotten all but the one that requires the deed. I found three of them myself, and then Taya pointed out where to find the head, which I'm kind of ashamed I missed.

The head is the one I need

as for karma, I don't know. I was doing pretty well, but then the girl on Habara island likes video games and bad boys, so I killed people in the store and got video games

she never gave a <3 though
    For the girl who likes video games,
    [spoiler:7ec76eb476]You apparently need to be really bad, like -50 karma until she actually goes on the boat with you. I suggest she should be after the girl who likes famous people because being bad like killing people makes you less famous (I think).[/spoiler:7ec76eb476]

endlosnull on
    sig02.jpg
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    endlosnull wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    So I guess I love this game. I'm ashamed of myself for thinking for even a minute that I should just wait for Taya to finish it and play her copy.
    I got all the outfits, in the place after the desert. Loving it.
    I didn't really hunt through the thread (due to my connection being on the fritz today), but what are the effects of Karma? I've noticed it plumeting recently due to me stealing from everything and picking locks all the time, and I'm wondering if I should be worried.

On the pieces of the thing in the pyramid, I've gotten all but the one that requires the deed. I found three of them myself, and then Taya pointed out where to find the head, which I'm kind of ashamed I missed.

The head is the one I need

as for karma, I don't know. I was doing pretty well, but then the girl on Habara island likes video games and bad boys, so I killed people in the store and got video games

she never gave a <3 though
    For the girl who likes video games,
    [spoiler:8bcccb1d0c]You apparently need to be really bad, like -50 karma until she actually goes on the boat with you. I suggest she should be after the girl who likes famous people because being bad like killing people makes you less famous (I think).[/spoiler:8bcccb1d0c]
    Perhaps I'll try to keep my karma high for now, then. Should really stop using Shadow Thief.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    iammeiam wrote:
    tarnok wrote:
    No, I've got that. I'll put the stuff in the frying pan, select the pan and choose to cook the stuff and it will say that I can't make that yet. I assumed that this meant that I wasn't high enough level at cooking to make that particular dish yet, but no combination of stuff seems to result in something I can cook. I can't even combine water and coffee.

Don't combine stuff. More specifically, [spoiler:d16e080b41]just throw a single meat in the pan and cook that. I have no idea when you level enough to start combining stuff (I've just arrived at the Ft. Eagle island), but you can cook just meat, or just rotten meat, or just wild game, etc, and get basic food that way.[/spoiler:d16e080b41]

Well shit. Thanks.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't suppose anyone is still visiting WiFiIsland? i've had the game for a few days but have been so busy I'm just done with Caldoxa... though, I was going to go try out the wifi now.

Adding myself to Group 4 and adding the rest of them to my list...
    Contact Friend Code:
    3179 1018 2984

Arminas on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Arminas wrote:
    I don't suppose anyone is still visiting WiFiIsland? i've had the game for a few days but have been so busy I'm just done with Caldoxa... though, I was going to go try out the wifi now.

Adding myself to Group 4 and adding the rest of them to my list...
    Contact Friend Code:
    3179 1018 2984

I added your code, if you're still here now I can go online and we can connect.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    oh, awesome, i'll get on, i was just running around in Ft. Eagle

Edit: D'oh. I think I missed you. :(

Edit2: Well, if anyone from Group 4 wants to play...perhaps a designated time would be ideal..? maybe 4 or 5pm PST? (or later in the evening)

Edit3: lol

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Arminas wrote:
    oh, awesome, i'll get on, i was just running around in Ft. Eagle

D'oh. I think I missed you. :(

Nah you didn't, I was waiting to see if you were actually reading the forums :P I'll get online now.

EDIT: I'm online right now.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    oh man, wtf. I got disconnected from Nintendo WiFi?

er, no, wait...it just said I made contact... hm, now what?

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Arminas wrote:

Now you go to Wifisland :P

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Arminas wrote:

Now you go to Wifisland :P

Hahaha, right. And off I go...I forgot I had the [spoiler:08fbdd31c2]Ship decal[/spoiler:08fbdd31c2] and almost died trying to get back.

Thanks for the Contact. ^_^

Arminas on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think I don't like this game anymore.

Between the annoyance of moving back and forth between places where things are happening and places where I can save, having some monsters run from me while others in the same area beat the ever-loving shit out of me, standing around digesting so that I can eat more food, farming sheep so I can cook food, and either not being able to figure out what the fuck to do with the boss at Ft. Eagle or not having enough hp to do it, I'm just not having fun here.

Oh well.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    haha, neato, you gave me a level or two in Earth I think

Arminas on
  • Options
    aidanaidan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Arminas, I've added you and I'll hang around online for a bit now to try to catch you.

aidan on
    A Dribble of Ink

adribbleofink_banner.jpg

Check out my blog, A Dribble of Ink, where you'll find everything from reviews and interviews to articles and asides. If you're a fan of Fantasy or Science Fiction you won't be disappointed!
  • Options
    Eyes5Eyes5 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hey.... I'm at Ageis, and I have the feeling that I should have the earth suit, wind suit, and fishing suit by now, but I don't. Can someone point me to where they are?

Eyes5 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Eyes5 wrote:
    Hey.... I'm at Ageis, and I have the feeling that I should have the earth suit, wind suit, and fishing suit by now, but I don't. Can someone point me to where they are?
    [spoiler:8186d79273]Earth - Way back on...what was it, Caldoaxa or something...a deep part of the dungeon has a guy mining. You just wait for a minute or two and he takes off his clothes.

Air - There should've been a guy at Fort Eagle right at the entrance to the base saying "I bet nobody knows there's an airport back there." That is your hint to walk past him, past the entrance of the base, to the airport for probably the best scene in the game. Kill the dudes and the wind suit is yours.

Fishing - Using the earth suit, you'll be digging into the walls of the pyramids. One wall results in a worm, which you give to the fishing guy at Fort Eagle, who gets eaten by a fish and you get his clothes.[/spoiler:8186d79273]

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MannyManny Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    tarnok wrote:

Between the annoyance of moving back and forth between places where things are happening and places where I can save, having some monsters run from me while others in the same area beat the ever-loving shit out of me, standing around digesting so that I can eat more food, farming sheep so I can cook food, and either not being able to figure out what the fuck to do with the boss at Ft. Eagle or not having enough hp to do it, I'm just not having fun here.

Oh well.

The Ft. Eagle boss was definitely a bitch.

A good strategy:
    [spoiler:f190198d08]Get the soldiers lined up so they can only attack you one at a time and plow through them, saving your techs. Then run up and unleash all your techs on the core-thingy. There might be more to that boss, but I didn't really get it either.[/spoiler:f190198d08] I thought the game got better after that though, so I'd hang in there.

Also, potions are win.

EDIT: spoilered

Manny on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Earth Suit: [spoiler:04431c129a] Back in Caldoaxa ruins you'll have probably run across a miner type person at the end of a long tunnel who'll say something about lunch and, once he's done talking, you just have to wait 5 seconds and he'll take off his clothes and you'll be able to pick them up.[/spoiler:04431c129a]

Wind Suit: [spoiler:04431c129a] In Ft. Eagle, just after you've moved the vending machine if you head to the very top of the screen you'll pass into the airport area, destroy all the enemies there and you'll get the Flyboy suit. And also a chuckle or two![/spoiler:04431c129a]

aidan on
    A Dribble of Ink

adribbleofink_banner.jpg

Check out my blog, A Dribble of Ink, where you'll find everything from reviews and interviews to articles and asides. If you're a fan of Fantasy or Science Fiction you won't be disappointed!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I think more than being annoyed at the boss at the end of Ft Eagle is the fact that you have to run through half the base to get to him from the savepoint. While fighting enemies along the way, costing me precious hp. Good thing I decided to leave before going up against him and stocking up on potions.. still... he just kicked my ass regardless.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think more than being annoyed at the boss at the end of Ft Eagle is the fact that you have to run through half the base to get to him from the savepoint. While fighting enemies along the way, costing me precious hp. Good thing I decided to leave before going up against him and stocking up on potions.. still... he just kicked my ass regardless.

My strategy for just about every boss so far has been to grind in the dungeon leveling, and then when I felt I was ready run through the dungeon avoiding all fighting. It's fairly easy to avoid attacks.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I don't think I'm particularly weak so much as some of these enemies do some nasty damage sometimes (those stupid cubes) and with the narrow hallways I find it hard to avoid everything.

EDIT: Well, nevermind my complaining I just beat the boss. I got a bit better at dodging enemies ;)

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't think I'm particularly weak so much as some of these enemies do some nasty damage sometimes (those stupid cubes) and with the narrow hallways I find it hard to avoid everything.

EDIT: Well, nevermind my complaining I just beat the boss. I got a bit better at dodging enemies ;)
    Yeah, I fought a cube once and never again, because I found I could always avoid them easily.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but there's a post-game exploit to raise your offensive skills cheaply.
    [spoiler:8bcc058dfe]Lure the Earth cow post-game boss to the north side of the dungeon with the staircase, position him so that he's right below you while you're on the stairs, and you can attack him without getting hit at all[/spoiler:8bcc058dfe]

Xanathus on
  • Options
    BelenusBelenus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So where's the left stone hand? I couldn't find it in the main pyramid anywhere.

Belenus on
    Contact Friend Code: 4038.0854.4554
  • Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Belenus wrote:
    So where's the left stone hand? I couldn't find it in the main pyramid anywhere.
    Someone said before that it's in [spoiler:b943067087]the pyramid you buy the deed to enter.[/spoiler:b943067087]

I haven't done it myself so I don't know if that's true, but it seems likely. I've looked everywhere else.

aeolist on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What's happening to my max HP?

In the rock suit, it is 212. Then it's 210, so I figure I'd just read it wrong. I stop paying attention, standing in a bedroom for a while, and I look back and my max HP, in the same costume, is 166.

What?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What's happening to my max HP?

In the rock suit, it is 212. Then it's 210, so I figure I'd just read it wrong. I stop paying attention, standing in a bedroom for a while, and I look back and my max HP, in the same costume, is 166.

What?
    Certain foods boost the stat that affects HP. You probably had a couple in your stomach, then when they were digested the effects wore off.

aeolist on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow this Ft. Eagle boss is almost gamebreaking.

[spoiler:d9905edfeb]LOL DUDE THERE'S LIKE, A PLUS AND A MINUS SIGN AND SOMETIMES A HEART AND SOME ARROWS AND THE FLOOR CHANGES COLOR AND UMM OH YEAH YOU GET HURT BY THE PINK FLOOR? HAVE FUN WITH THE FOUR RESPAWNING SOLDIERS WHO GANG RAPE YOU. KK, ALSO, OCCASIONALLY YOUR TOUCH SCREEN JUST STOPS SELECTING ENEMIES?[/spoiler:d9905edfeb]

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    tarnok wrote:

Oh well.

I found this mildly annoying as well but then it clicked with me. The actual FOOD food items are things I take on occassion to boost stats to prepare for a battle or to sparingly during battle to get a last second edge. When I'm in an actual battle I typically only take the potions. You can make them very easily and cheaply, they restore eighty hit points, and they digest just a little slower than water.

For the Ft. Eagle boss:
    [spoiler:b480669386]Use the Cloud Sword (Lester Sprawl's weapon) if you didn't get the Saber yet. Hit each guard once or twice to weaken them. This way you can kill them all in rapid succession. After that use your most powerful techniques on the core.[/spoiler:b480669386]

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    H'okay. I'm at Ft Eagle, and between all the ingredients I'm finding, the cooking locations everywhere, and the price/ineffectiveness of the food I can buy, I'm assuming that I missed the chef costume somewhere. Possibly somewhere blisteringly obvious, for all I know. Is it possible to get at this point?

aett on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    aett wrote:
    H'okay. I'm at Ft Eagle, and between all the ingredients I'm finding, the cooking locations everywhere, and the price/ineffectiveness of the food I can buy, I'm assuming that I missed the chef costume somewhere. Possibly somewhere blisteringly obvious, for all I know. Is it possible to get at this point?

Without spoiling it, go back to your world map and go to the smallest island available to you. There's a guy right on the coast there you can talk to. There's a cave behind him. Explore it thoroughly and talk to the guy again.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I added my code. No idea when I'll play or what it does though.

Then I got bored and formatted the codes a bit. made the gaps between code blocks a (space)(hyphen)(space)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    aett wrote:

Without spoiling it, go back to your world map and go to the smallest island available to you. There's a guy right on the coast there you can talk to. There's a cave behind him. Explore it thoroughly and talk to the guy again.
    [spoiler:38333d2772]on the first island (where you wake up on the beach) there's a message in a bottle somewhere. it opens up another island where a cook and the chef suit is.[/spoiler:38333d2772]

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, I'm at Rizo Island, and I don't really know how to proceed. I can't attack the person or anything...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    endlosnullendlosnull Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    So, I'm at Rizo Island, and I don't really know how to proceed. I can't attack the person or anything...
    [spoiler:80ed42d04d]You have to go back to the mall island and buy the Blue Sky March for 10,000. The guy who sells it is on the north side of the 2nd floor. [/spoiler:80ed42d04d]

endlosnull on
    sig02.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hmm... so I finished Contact last night and I'm still not sure I know what the game was about!

That being said, the game lived up to any expectations I had for it (which were high). I found the game to be exactly what I thought it was going to be from the very first time I saw screenshots of it, way back when. It was kooky, it was humourous, it was a throwback to the 16-bit days.

My only complain with it was that I would have liked Cooking and Fishing to be a more integral part of the experience. I barely touched cooking (I think I got the first upgrade) and didn't even get the fishing suit. Though, I can see how some people could get lost in the fishing and cooking aspects if they feel so inclined, so maybe it's for the best that the developers left it optional.

I'd love to see a continuation of the series, whether another one on DS or even a Wii game.

Some of my favourite parts:

[spoiler:a51129f2c3]
    The Airport scene | I don't think these needs any explaining, just awesome!

Habara | A Level that rips on Akihabara? Brilliant. The best part was when you entered the arcade machines, too bad there are only two!

Mochi | Mochi is love.

The Visual Style | Grasshopper fucking knocked it out of the park in this department. The pairing of the lush, pre-rendered backgrounds with the sparse 8-bit graphics was so utterly charming.

The Length | I love the fact that I actually have the time to beat some of these handheld games. Contact is special because despite its short length I still feel like it was worth every penny.

[/spoiler:a51129f2c3]

Anyway, I may be done, but I'll still be happy to jump online and make contact with anyone else from Group 4, so just make sure to let me know when you're on and I'll do my best to meet you.

Bring on Contact 2!

aidan on
    A Dribble of Ink

adribbleofink_banner.jpg

• Options
    Captain AmazingCaptain Amazing Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just finished Ft. Eagle. Am I about halfway throught the game?

Captain Amazing on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'd say a little under half-way.

2/5ths sounds about right, depending on how much grinding/cooking/fishing/etc... you decide you'd like to do later in the game.

aidan on
    A Dribble of Ink

adribbleofink_banner.jpg

• Options
    schlewschlew Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hopefully some member of group cool (group 4) wants to make contact tonight? Hows about it?

schlew on
  • Options
    cursor101cursor101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    schlew wrote:
    Hopefully some member of group cool (group 4) want to make some contact tonight? Hows about it?
    I'm all for that.

3737-4467-9408

cursor101 on
    MK:DS 451051-559978
    Guy1: There's nothing bitchin about the games soundtrack. It's practically all elevator music.

Guy2: That's just hilariously stupid. I can't imagine playing a fighting game with "Girl from Ipanema" playing in the background.