Options

[WoW] Because the last shaman thread was stupid.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Elemental needs just as much as any other caster. 17% native, 14% with talents, 11% with a shadow priest/moonkin.

captaink on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, I think it's a fair bet that no one told the itemization team that Elemental now actually need hit on their gear.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Elemental basically has to steal from cloth casters to get the good gear, outside tier sets.

captaink on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ebonweave to the rescue!!

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ugh, argh.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So basically....

In order to be able to be at hit cap AND wear mail, you need the mail gear that drops off the very bosses you need the +hit for.

Thanks Blizz.....and I'm sorry Mages

Decoy on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That reminds me a bit of AQ 40 in vanilla. You need nature res gear to get past Princess Huhuran.

Who dropped good Nature res gear?

Princess Huhuran.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    vatoreusvatoreus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That reminds me a bit of AQ 40 in vanilla. You need nature res gear to get past Princess Huhuran.

Who dropped good Nature res gear?

Princess Huhuran.

Oh Mara farming...you never got old. Wait..wut? I hated that part of AQ...

vatoreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The weekly mad dash for the green dragons was kind of fun, actually.

captaink on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What range of stats do I need to be healing heroics with a similarly geared tank? Self-buffed I'm at 1400ish healing, 14kish mana and 350ish mp5 with a totem down.

Had some trouble with H-VH last night, but possibly due to the 3rd DPS being frequently disconnected the whole time.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The test for being able to heal heroics: run heroics and see. Stats alone don't make the healer--synergy with the group has more of an effect than anything else. I've taken my 2200healing/650haste/400Mp5 into some instances and haven't been able to keep up due to retarded DPS and bad tanks.

DPS classes have a general number (roughly 1200ish) to start with, because 95% of their utility pumps into that number (the rest of it being interrupts and CC and such). Tanks have a cap to work with (540 defense), and from there they can push into stam/avoidance/etc. Healing is far more variable, and one single number doesn't indicate a healer's merit.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Decoy wrote: »
    So basically....

In order to be able to be at hit cap AND wear mail, you need the mail gear that drops off the very bosses you need the +hit for.

Thanks Blizz.....and I'm sorry Mages

the heroic badge cloth belt and offhand - also mark of the war prisoner from Violet Hold Heroic.

those 3 pieces (remember to gem the belt with hit) will give you sooo much hit then you should be able to raid competently and start to pick up tier gear.

If you are still short - the craftable ring of northen tears is a nice starter option

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cloth belt... and a non-shield offhand.

Weeee why don't I reroll a mage right now weeee

reVerse on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

I don't much mind sharing cloth pieces with boomkin, but my panties would be in a twist if I had to share with shamans too. Heh.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

I only suggest it as starter pieces.

I am very entrenched in my ways and don't ever go for cloth despite some far superior pieces being available (I just wish our paladins and healer shamans would realise that hodir hard mode bracers are clearly elemental only loot)

I do have leather boots but there are NO elemental boots in ulduar unless algalon is hiding something.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I do not recall it being that hard for me to find mail outside of Naxx to reach the hit cap. I did have to put +20 hit on my gloves and gem for hit, but I made it with maybe only my chest being the cloth drop from HVH. Of course I somehow manged to find two trinkets that each had nearly 60 or 70 hit on them so that helped out a bunch too.

Checking WoWWiki, as the armory seems to be down, Ichoron drops a cloth chest with 62 hit and 2 sockets ( 68 hit with socket bonus ) and Cyanigosa drops a trinket with 73 hit rating as well. But I'm not sure where I got my other trinket, although it is a green. Hmmm.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I do not recall it being that hard for me to find mail outside of Naxx to reach the hit cap. I did have to put +20 hit on my gloves and gem for hit, but I made it with maybe only my chest being the cloth drop from HVH. Of course I somehow manged to find two trinkets that each had nearly 60 or 70 hit on them so that helped out a bunch too.

Checking WoWWiki, as the armory seems to be down, Ichoron drops a cloth chest with 62 hit and 2 sockets ( 68 hit with socket bonus ) and Cyanigosa drops a trinket with 73 hit rating as well. But I'm not sure where I got my other trinket, although it is a green. Hmmm.

I'm guessing it's a reward from the quest at 80 from Chromie to go back to the Bronze Dragonshrine and help your past self defend the hourglass.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm always starving for hit as elemental. As for shaman heroic healing, you basically need three buttons: Earth Shield, Chain Heal, and Lesser Healing Wave.

Fun times.

Senshi on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    I'm always starving for hit as elemental. As for shaman heroic healing, you basically need three buttons: Earth Shield, Riptide, and Lesser Healing Wave.

Fun times.
    Fixed that for ya.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    captaink wrote: »

If you really miss me yelling at you (and the rest of the raid) that much, you can just give me your phone number.

:winky:

Gork on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Makershot wrote: »
    I'm always starving for hit as elemental. As for shaman heroic healing, you basically need three buttons: Earth Shield, Riptide, and Lesser Healing Wave.

Fun times.
    Fixed that for ya.

oh yeah

I completely forgot about riptide

excellent spell, though

Senshi on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Fun times.
    Fixed that for ya.

oh yeah

excellent spell, though

Yeah, it's not half bad. Still want Spirit Links back, though.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gork wrote: »

If you really miss me yelling at you (and the rest of the raid) that much, you can just give me your phone number.

Were you in CTS-Proudmoore/Muradin?

captaink on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zython wrote: »

Fun times.
    Fixed that for ya.

oh yeah

excellent spell, though

I heard it pretty much broke 5-man healing. Like, you didn't have to do anything, ever. You just spirit linked and just kinda sat there, throwing lightning bolts.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Fun times.
    Fixed that for ya.

oh yeah

excellent spell, though

I heard it pretty much broke 5-man healing. Like, you didn't have to do anything, ever. You just spirit linked and just kinda sat there, throwing lightning bolts.

Well, that's pretty much what Earth Shield does, too.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yup :D

Edit: when i'm healing, my answer for everything is "shut up and dps, i'll heal through it"

Senshi on
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I'm insulted, cnut.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'm insulted, cnut.

:(

To be fair, there were several people that liked to yell at us.

captaink on
  • Options
    Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Fun times.
    Fixed that for ya.

oh yeah

excellent spell, though

who cares i do that now anyway

i'm a lightning bolter

zap

i killed a dog

zap zap

i a dog killa

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    squidfaced killaz

Senshi on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How do you shaman? I've recently inherited a lvl 60 that I've taken to Outlan, and I'm rolling with WF on my MH and Flametongue on my OH. I usually pull mobs with chain lightning, then go to town with Stormstrike and Lava Lash/Earth Shock... Is there anything else to it?

Toldo on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toldo wrote: »
    How do you shaman? I've recently inherited a lvl 60 that I've taken to Outlan, and I'm rolling with WF on my MH and Flametongue on my OH. I usually pull mobs with chain lightning, then go to town with Stormstrike and Lava Lash/Earth Shock... Is there anything else to it?

Link your spec?

WF/FT is the right choice, although WF/WF is probably just as good as you won't have Elemental Fury yet.

Shaman don't have a set rotation, but rather a priority system, which is roughly: Lightning Bolt (if 5 stacks of Maelstrom), Stormstrike, Earth Shock, Lava Lash. I only use Chain Lightning when fighting multiple mobs. if you have no mana issues then use Lightning Shield instead of Water Shield.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Grobian wrote: »

Link your spec?

WF/FT is the right choice, although WF/WF is probably just as good as you won't have Elemental Fury yet.

Shaman don't have a set rotation, but rather a priority system, which is roughly: Lightning Bolt (if 5 stacks of Maelstrom), Stormstrike, Earth Shock, Lava Lash. I only use Chain Lightning when fighting multiple mobs. if you have no mana issues then use Lightning Shield instead of Water Shield.

Here's what I've got so far:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Dunemaul&cn=Ild

Ignore the gear--this was a recruit-a-friend toon who tagged along while an 80 ran Scholo multiple times. I'm also planning on going back to get Mental Quickness and fill up Maelstrom Weapon (of course).

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'd respec right now to something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hZhbgfoxzIhuoRuVo
    The 2 points from imp. Shields can go wherever you want as long as you don't have Static Shock

Ancestral Knowledge is a very weak talent. Imp. Wf Totem is not needed while leveling. Both of these free up the points for Maelstrom Weapon, which is the biggest dps-boost in the tree and a spec-defining talent.

The next steps would then be to get down the Ele tree to Elemental Devastation and Elemental Fury.

Also I really like the ghost wolf minor glyph for soloing, especially with imp. ghost wolf, maybe check it out.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Lostprophet8Lostprophet8 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, typically I play a resto shaman, but I picked up 2 pieces of T7 on a pug(I was the only shaman and no hunters or warriors mwhaha). For dps, I've been going ele in resto gear and getting 2-3k dps. I already have the gloves and chest for enh, so I'm wondering if I should go 4 peice enh or pick up the ele peices.

Lostprophet8 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    really up to you - do you prefer punching or lazers?

If you are really into getting more dps gear - consider which dps shamans you have in your guild/server and whether being one or the other would net you more groups and loot.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Grobian wrote: »
    I'd respec right now to something like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hZhbgfoxzIhuoRuVo
    The 2 points from imp. Shields can go wherever you want as long as you don't have Static Shock

Ancestral Knowledge is a very weak talent. Imp. Wf Totem is not needed while leveling. Both of these free up the points for Maelstrom Weapon, which is the biggest dps-boost in the tree and a spec-defining talent.

The next steps would then be to get down the Ele tree to Elemental Devastation and Elemental Fury.

Also I really like the ghost wolf minor glyph for soloing, especially with imp. ghost wolf, maybe check it out.

Thanks. What kind of weapons should I go for? Currently, I'm using an axe and a fist weapon, both at 2.60 weapon speed.

Toldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What kind of weapons should I go for? Currently, I'm using an axe and a fist weapon, both at 2.60 weapon speed.

Weapon type is irrelevant, unless you play an Orc, then axes are better than other weapons due to the racial. As for speed you are right in going for slow/slow.

Grobian on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You also only need one axe to get the expertise bonus. Your other weapon can be anything.

forty on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes? I always thought the bonus only applies to the hand with the axe. (I have no Orc)

Grobian on
This discussion has been closed.