As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Astonishing X-Men

augustaugust where you come from is goneRegistered User regular
edited October 2006 in Graphic Violence
Okay, couldn't find a thread for it, so sorry if there is one, but yeah, spoilers for #16:

[spoiler:18cca16e71]This issue was good. First of all, he plays up the whole "Maybe the Hellfire Club is all in Emma's head" angle, with the payoff of Emma staring in the mirror, which turns on you and into one of the most badass Kitty Pryde action scenes EVAR. THEN he turns it around AGAIN with the "White Queen" reval, and the "YEAHBUHWHAT?" is probably the best reaction by a chracter to a big dramatic reveal in a comic like ever. Then everything else in the book was fun and good. And the inking and coloring is no longer ruining Cassady's art.[/spoiler:18cca16e71]

So anyway I though it was awesome how about you guys.

august on

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Cassady is awesome

Joss Whedon is awesome

they combine to form

Astonishing X-men!

Mai-Kero on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Cassady is awesome

Joss Whedon is awesome

they combine to form

Astonishing X-men!

"Astonishing X-Men:
    We used to just be 'Pretty Good X-Men'."

The Muffin Man on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I want to kiss Kitty.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    hot

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Doesn't Cassady ink his own work? I've never seen an inker cited in either AsXM or Planetary.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    I want to kiss Kitty.

Anyone want to make a joke here?

Anyone?

A duck! on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Something about phasing through something something maybe a "pussy" something or other too

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Doesn't Cassady ink his own work? I've never seen an inker cited in either AsXM or Planetary.

Hey, I dunno. Maybe it was just the colors that made his stuff look like shit in the last few issues.

august on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2006
    Kitty is my favorite.

t ord[spoiler:6a586f6d67]haha oops[/spoiler:6a586f6d67]

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2006
    I want a comic book that features only Ord and Lockheed. It can be 24 pages of Ord getting blasted and the hilarious hijinks involved with that.

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Kitty is my favorite.

t ord[spoiler:ef4270a5ef]haha oops[/spoiler:ef4270a5ef]

Yeah! Someone's got egg on thier face!

And like little eyelash thinges.

And that fuckep up nosegaurd.

The guy is just ugly is what I'm saying.

august on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    Kitty is my favorite.

t ord[spoiler:1c02fbbb55]haha oops[/spoiler:1c02fbbb55]

Oh man, I read the last page and thought the exact same thing.

And laughed my ass off for like the next 30 mins.

In retro spect you could say [spoiler:1c02fbbb55] Ord is the real reason behind the "death" of breakworld [/spoiler:1c02fbbb55]

That what happens when you can see you own death, the universe has a fucked up sense of humor.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    woops double post?

So how about them Astonishing X-Men?

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    woops double post?

So how about them Astonishing X-Men?

I personally find their exploits quite astonishing.

Also, Hisako seems interesting, and I'm curious where they're going with her. She's gone toe to toe with a couple heavy hitters, she's gotten some decent development, and if you believe BKV checked with anyone before the first Runaways arc of this run [spoiler:1bd27039df]she's going to end up leading at least a, if not the main, X-team.[/spoiler:1bd27039df]

werehippy on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Man that was awesome.

[spoiler:54d49d81bf]...Yeabuhwhat?[/spoiler:54d49d81bf]

lollerskates

And, yeah, it must suck to be Ord right about now.

And dangit, Whedon is lobbying HARD for Kitty Pryde to be my favorite X-Person of all time. It's like he's in love with her and he's explaining why.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Personally, the last page kinda bothered me.

[spoiler:69ddb421db]I was expecting it to be an Omega-level mutant. How the hell does Colossus destroy the Breakworld? Does he punch a nuclear reactor that powers their whole world or something?[/spoiler:69ddb421db]

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2006
    marvel- nice work misspelling colossus' name on the first page

other than that, pretty good issue

i hope there's a good explanation for all this

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited August 2006

[spoiler:84cb128ce4]I was expecting it to be an Omega-level mutant. How the hell does Colossus destroy the Breakworld? Does he punch a nuclear reactor that powers their whole world or something?[/spoiler:84cb128ce4]

Yeah, I dunno. I assume we'll find out though.

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2006
    Htown wrote:
    Man that was awesome.

[spoiler:557c2440ce]...Yeabuhwhat?[/spoiler:557c2440ce]

lollerskates

And dangit, Whedon is lobbying HARD for Kitty Pryde to be my favorite X-Person of all time. It's like he's in love with her and he's explaining why.

Wheadon has an unreasoning affection for wee waifs that kick butt. But I'm down with that.

august on
    edited August 2006
    Geebs wrote:

[spoiler:79ce0337a2]I was expecting it to be an Omega-level mutant. How the hell does Colossus destroy the Breakworld? Does he punch a nuclear reactor that powers their whole world or something?[/spoiler:79ce0337a2]

Yeah, I dunno. I assume we'll find out though.

[spoiler:79ce0337a2]I thought it was gonna be Kitty, myself. Like she was going to phase the center of their planet or some shit.[/spoiler:79ce0337a2]

august on
    edited August 2006
    Kitty's been awesome for a while, this isn't just Whedon's doing.

DJ Eebs on
  • MelMel Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Great issue. I'm hoping...

[spoiler:e7ccaffaf5]Ord manages to bungle the obligatory raid on the mansion and mistakenly wipes out the Hellfire guys in the process.

Then again, "Danger" should know the X-Men too well to let that happen, and SWORD could've been smart and strategically leaked the culprit's identity to minimize collateral damage.

Still, I like to imagine Cass Nova getting knocked down a couple pegs by poor ol' Ord.[/spoiler:e7ccaffaf5]

Mel on
    71854.jpg
    edited August 2006
    Hey guys [spoiler:d51e2a3a6f]what if the mysterious package thingy is connected to the destruction of the Breakworld. Like the Breakworld is IN there or some shit. Or maybe not. Also, Cassandra Nova does not get knocked down pegs, becuase she is awesome.[/spoiler:d51e2a3a6f]

august on
    edited August 2006
    august wrote:
    Htown wrote:
    Man that was awesome.

[spoiler:f1d8852bda]...Yeabuhwhat?[/spoiler:f1d8852bda]

lollerskates

Whedon has an unreasoning affection for wee waifs that kick butt. But I'm down with that.

Pretty much, yeah.

here's a list of things he's worked on that don't have a girl kicking ass:

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2006
    Alien Ressurection? Does Ryder kick any ass in that?

august on
    edited August 2006
    august wrote:

They changed a lot from his screenplay. Which explains why ressurection sucked.

Mai-Kero on
    edited August 2006
    well he wrote a song for the lion king 2 I guess

DJ Eebs on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    august wrote:

They changed a lot from his screenplay. Which explains why ressurection sucked.
    the final act in his screenplay was a massive battle on earth. I think the beginning is relatively untouched.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    Nobody has mentioned that Wolverine is hysterical.

"Also, I met an Oriental...."

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006
    I really loved how Whedon's used Origin.

SA on
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yes, Wolverine is hysterical. I take it that the current state of mind he's in is how he is as James Howlett in Origin?

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
    edited August 2006
    Yes, Wolverine is hysterical. I take it that the current state of mind he's in is how he is as James Howlett in Origin?
    At a younger age, presumably. James doesn't talk a lot. He's too busy being sickly, and after his mutation kicks in, being traumatized.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006

Yep thats him as a child. The "Logan" he's referring to is the drunk groundskeeper who is his biological father... I think. Thats one thing I never got, why did the grandfather (on his father's side) have claws even though it was implied that they weren't biologically related? Was Logan his illegitimate son? Or is it just a coincidence that groundskeeper-Logan looked just like Wolverine-Logan?

SA on
    edited August 2006

Yep thats him as a child. The "Logan" he's referring to is the drunk groundskeeper who is his biological father... I think. Thats one thing I never got, why did the grandfather (on his father's side) have claws even though it was implied that they weren't biologically related? Was Logan his illegitimate son? Or is it just a coincidence that groundskeeper-Logan looked just like Wolverine-Logan?
    [spoiler:d94241f8b3]Lady Howlett had an affair with Tom Logan, the groundskeeper, and he's Wolverine's daddy.[/spoiler:d94241f8b3]

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006

[spoiler:47ec587e1c]Lady Howlett had an affair with Tom Logan, the groundskeeper, and he's Wolverine's daddy.[/spoiler:47ec587e1c]

[spoiler:47ec587e1c]But then why did the grandfather have mutant claws?[/spoiler:47ec587e1c]

SA on
    edited August 2006

[spoiler:5b3f3ca44d]Lady Howlett had an affair with Tom Logan, the groundskeeper, and he's Wolverine's daddy.[/spoiler:5b3f3ca44d]

[spoiler:5b3f3ca44d]But then why did the grandfather have mutant claws?[/spoiler:5b3f3ca44d]
    I try to ignore that part.

Conditional_Axe on
    edited August 2006

[spoiler:e8e73688eb]Lady Howlett had an affair with Tom Logan, the groundskeeper, and he's Wolverine's daddy.[/spoiler:e8e73688eb]

[spoiler:e8e73688eb]But then why did the grandfather have mutant claws?[/spoiler:e8e73688eb]

[spoiler:e8e73688eb]I guess the most logical explaination is that Thomas Logan was his illegitimate son.[/spoiler:e8e73688eb]

SA on
    edited August 2006

[spoiler:e4e9b5b739]Lady Howlett had an affair with Tom Logan, the groundskeeper, and he's Wolverine's daddy.[/spoiler:e4e9b5b739]

[spoiler:e4e9b5b739]But then why did the grandfather have mutant claws?[/spoiler:e4e9b5b739]

[spoiler:e4e9b5b739]I guess the most logical explaination is that Thomas Logan was his illegitimate son.[/spoiler:e4e9b5b739]
    It's extremely plausible.

Conditional_Axe on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, but [spoiler:34c40f8b85]how often do mutants have almost the EXACT same mutation as their parents?

I mean look at the Summers brothers. They're SIBLINGS and they don't even have the same powers.[/spoiler:34c40f8b85]

Furu on
    edited August 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Yeah, but [spoiler:e228e4dabc]how often do mutants have almost the EXACT same mutation as their parents?

I mean look at the Summers brothers. They're SIBLINGS and they don't even have the same powers.[/spoiler:e228e4dabc]

Most of the examples are from alternate futures:

Rachel Summers, Nocturne, Nate Grey, Polaris, Spider-Girl and a whole bunch of heroes from MC2, Beak's kids. There are plenty of examples.

SA on