Options

To [chat] or Barbados

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sittered wrote: »
    Much like a machine is incapable of love, I feel as though Mr. Rogers was incapable of hate or evil.

Much like love always defeats hate and evil in the end, so did Mr. Rogers triumph over the machine uprising.
    Mr. Rogers is Neo?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Much like a machine is incapable of love, I feel as though Mr. Rogers was incapable of hate or evil.

Much like love always defeats hate and evil in the end, so did Mr. Rogers triumph over the machine uprising.
    Mr. Rogers is Neo?

Whoa.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

all before removing his shoes and cardigan sweater

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    By the way, I am a real-life wizard.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    sitteredsittered Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    aww thanks you guys you make me feel better when the batshit insane mormons bite

Are you and The Boy going to have a Mormon wedding, Eddy?

here is where I am staying this weekend

my boyfriend's house in Graham, the house that belongs to his mormon mom and mormon step father. They know I'm here and that we'll be sleeping together. HIs mom is super nice to me whenever we interact and has described me to strangers as 'really nice'

I am not allowed to sleep over at his staunch atheist dad's at all, not even on the couch.

I don't really get it.

oh and he says he appreciates the capitalization.

Tell him I said "hi."

Hi there!

full disclosure: Eddy is sitting next to me and I am reading over his shoulder.

Eddy told me that you think I'm cute.

I just wanted you to know that I'm rubbing my nipples thinking about your unkempt hair right now.

Mmmm yeah what do my eyes look like you don't even know you can't even tell. There's hair in front of them.

sittered on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Oh yeah, during field day on Wednesday, this one JO who is cool climbed back in the outboard with us and helped us "clean" but mostly we were just BSing, but because there was an officer with us all the other khakis passed by assuming we were "supervised" and therefore hard at work. And this JO is really, really cute and in super great shape (he's a diver) and he kept stretching out and bending over this one pipe to reach things and it presented the nicest view of his ass. It really was the most enjoyable field day in memory.

at first I thought you were saying he was a jack off

regardless that sounds great. My favorite part of intro swimming class was the guys in skimpy outfits and of course the football that got naked in front of me while talking about what we were doing in class that day. I think I nodded and went 'uh huh' and 'yeah' a couple of times

JO = Junior Officer

And when I say he's a diver, I don't mean the ones who go off boards, I mean the Navy divers in the little brown shorts who do all the cool shit underwater (and are world-renowned for being in amazing shape).

And furthermore, this particular guy is like some sort of dreamy superhero. When he was in dive school there was a nuke enlisted guy who couldn't for the life of him make the swim time, so this officer puts an arm around him and swims the last 6 laps dragging him along and they both passed. Needless to say, he was class honorman and even the notoriously harsh dive instructors loved him.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh yeah, during field day on Wednesday, this one JO who is cool climbed back in the outboard with us and helped us "clean" but mostly we were just BSing, but because there was an officer with us all the other khakis passed by assuming we were "supervised" and therefore hard at work. And this JO is really, really cute and in super great shape (he's a diver) and he kept stretching out and bending over this one pipe to reach things and it presented the nicest view of his ass. It really was the most enjoyable field day in memory.

at first I thought you were saying he was a jack off

regardless that sounds great. My favorite part of intro swimming class was the guys in skimpy outfits and of course the football that got naked in front of me while talking about what we were doing in class that day. I think I nodded and went 'uh huh' and 'yeah' a couple of times

JO = Junior Officer

And when I say he's a diver, I don't mean the ones who go off boards, I mean the Navy divers in the little brown shorts who do all the cool shit underwater (and are world-renowned for being in amazing shape).

And furthermore, this particular guy is like some sort of dreamy superhero. When he was in dive school there was a nuke enlisted guy who couldn't for the life of him make the swim time, so this officer puts an arm around him and swims the last 6 laps dragging him along and they both passed. Needless to say, he was class honorman and even the notoriously harsh dive instructors loved him.
    Shit man, I'm developing a crush on him by the way you describe him. Guy sounds like a stand up dude.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm sorry, Zen. I don't mean to be a dick. I think you're a good guy. But I get a little exasperated sometimes when every time I'm here and you're here you post something dismissive. And it's more annoying when I'm actually trying to communicate something. I mean it was cute for awhile, but I've been unjailed for a couple of months now, so the joke's growing stale, okay? Just please try not to respond to everything I say with "olol why aren't you jailed?" eh? Please? Thanks.

Drez on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You realize that I'm just posting something inane and putting your name at the end of it most of the time, right?

And the other times is my personal greeting to you. Why aren't you jailed yet translates to hello.

Like whenever I see rentilius, I ask why he's not eating a sandwich.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shit man, I'm developing a crush on him by the way you describe him. Guy sounds like a stand up dude.

Unsurprising, he's exactly the sort of man that a hetero dude would develop a mancrush for.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I can't understand people who don't know how to swim. Like, I know there are lots of people who never got the opportunity to learn, but I started taking lessons when I was like two, and we've had a pool my whole life. I can stay afloat comfortably for like 20 minutes without moving my legs, and even though I look skinny my "shape" could best be described as "amorphous." And yet I know people who've been "swimming" since they were little and can't pass the test to be allowed in the deep end at the Y.

Seriously people, WTF? Move your arms! Kick your legs! IT IS NOT SO HARD!

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So is that a yes? I'll take that as a yes.

Drez on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Saying yes to you is so fetch.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't understand people who don't know how to swim. Like, I know there are lots of people who never got the opportunity to learn, but I started taking lessons when I was like two, and we've had a pool my whole life. I can stay afloat comfortably for like 20 minutes without moving my legs, and even though I look skinny my "shape" could best be described as "amorphous." And yet I know people who've been "swimming" since they were little and can't pass the test to be allowed in the deep end at the Y.

It can be pretty darn hard.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    The thing is this: If you never knew anything about Card, Ender's Game would just be a book that you would enjoy or not enjoy based on your experience with the book. The fact that you know shit about Card is what changes your opinion of the book. But Card never changed. And the book itself hasn't changed. Card was Card before you knew anything about him. And Ender's Game was Ender's Game before you knew anything about Card. So really, nothing in this equation changed but you.

I certainly don't disparage you for disliking the guy. I sure don't like him. He may have written one of my favorite books, but I wouldn't want to hang out with him at a bar or anything. But ultimately I don't see what that has to do with the book which exists now of its own accord.

The thing is that you can't discount some life experiences when reading a book versus others. The reader almost always brings the most to the table in the reading of a book (errr, restricted to just casual reading I suppose). If you learn about Card before reading the book it could possibly open up new interpretive avenues that you would not have seen otherwise just as someone who experienced some form of racism first hand might have a different take on Invisible Man than someone who has not. Someone who has read Kafka a lot might have a completely different reading of The Erasers than someone who preferred Tolkien.

I don't know The Invisible Man, but let's take uhhh Harry Potter. Obviously, if you're a real-life wizard, you're going to have a different interpretation of Harry Potter than someone who isn't. However, knowing about JK Rowlings shouldn't affect your interpretation of the book because while who they are might inform their writing, it doesn't necessarily inform it significantly or at all. And ultimately it doesn't matter, either. If it's a good book, it doesn't matter if the author is a douche. The book is still good. I don't see any value in hero worship, or the opposite, so I don't see any value in liking a piece of art or disliking a piece of art based on its producer.
    My arguments aren't really about what informs the author's writings or what intentions the author had... it's about what the reader is going to put into the text and take away from it. My stance then, I suppose, is that knowledge about the author ruining the book for you is no different than any other type of knowledge that you may have ruining a book for you. Perhaps a particularly awful description of a familiar sound or smell completely turns you off to the book but to someone who has never heard or smelled that particular thing wouldn't mind the description at all; indeed, their lack of familiarity may allow the piece to flow even better than an accurate description would have due to word choice/whatever.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    stilist wrote: »

Maybe I'm just part fish and don't know it. Because seriously I am like the least athletic person on Earth and for some reason I can swim circles around people who actually, you know, work out.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm really getting tired of Greyhound Hero, master of hand-to-knife combat.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Describing how experienced you are at swimming tends to undermine your "swimming is totally easy" point

I'm not sure why you would include that

Elendil on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I loved Ender's Game and still do, despite knowing that OSC is a Mormon with some crazy beliefs. His books have some great philosophical questions in them, including human responsibility, and understanding the motives behind choices we make.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Maybe I'm just part fish and don't know it. Because seriously I am like the least athletic person on Earth and for some reason I can swim circles around people who actually, you know, work out.
    I can move in a manner that approximates swimming, and I can move while doing it, but I’m not very good.

Also, when I was a boy scout we went to a camp somewhere and we had to swim a lap as a test (despite never entering the water afterwards). I managed to make it, but I jumped in wrong and ended up doing the whole thing vertically.

That was unpleasant.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I suggest you try Jukebox Hero, master of hand-to-axe combat.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I have perfect form but I sink like a rock. I can't swim laps, I can't arch my back to float on top of the water. My gym teacher felt really sorry for me since after 2 or 3 laps I was about ready to collapse (this was during my 5th year of football and 3rd year of wrestling, I was in good shape cardio wise). I just can't swim.

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, and I can’t float, either. In swimming class (which I somehow passed) I sort of managed to float by not sinking, but I couldn’t last more than about thirty seconds at best.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This post confused me at first

I take it dudes are all "Man I would have taken that dude out with my flying jump kick if that was me" in that thread

Please don't make me read it

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Er, if you're referring to the guy I posted about, he wasn't a poor swimmer, he just couldn't make the time for the 20 lap swim in Navy dive school, which is hardly easy, and certainly nothing that a normal swimmer would be able to do.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ha ha! I have tricked my college's system into letting me take Organic Chem. Now, to wait....

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

I take it dudes are all "Man I would have taken that dude out with my flying jump kick if that was me" in that thread

pretty much yeah

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, and I can’t float, either. In swimming class (which I somehow passed) I sort of managed to float by not sinking, but I couldn’t last more than about thirty seconds at best.

Yeah, if I ever have to tread water I will die.

No joke.

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Describing how experienced you are at swimming tends to undermine your "swimming is totally easy" point

Staying afloat is totally easy. I'm not really expecting everybody to be Michael Phelps the moment they jump in a pool, it just that I'm amazed by people who have no instinct for it and sink like a rock. I can't remember ever not knowing how to swim, so it's legitimately baffling to me.

Although I do realize how I put it might be taken as me being a bit dickish.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited August 2008

pretty much yeah
    What thread are we talking about?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I have toasted buns with butter and crushed garlic covering the bottom, salmon patties, freshly sliced pickles, and lettuce accompanied with fries covered in what appears to be a coating made mostly of garlic and cilantro and a bottle of Black Hart.

Suck it all of you eating ramen tonight.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

pretty much yeah

Greyhound/decapitation thread

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

pretty much yeah
    I'm never sleeping on a greyhound again

Edit: at least i wasn't beaten 3 times. Like earlier.

wazilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Staying afloat is totally easy. I'm not really expecting everybody to be Michael Phelps the moment they jump in a pool, it just that I'm amazed by people who have no instinct for it and sink like a rock. I can't remember ever not knowing how to swim, so it's legitimately baffling to me.

Floating is easy for you, and maybe even for most people.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I don't mean dickish so much

Just from a persuasive point of view

It doesn't help at all

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Gonna try some M.I.A. dudes.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zimmy, when you have different life experiences, you can't be astounded when someone has had different life experiences. o.O

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Gonna try some M.I.A. dudes.
    If you can find them

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Shin Megami Tensei: Anal Raper

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zimmy, when you have different life experiences, you can't be astounded when someone has had different life experiences. o.O

You can when you never encountered a situation with people who couldn't swim until after your formative years.

I kinda liken it to being 15 and seeing your first black person. "Dude, your skin's so dirty it's all brown! Use some soap, it's not that hard!"

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
This discussion has been closed.