Options

Im never sleeping on a GreyHound Bus ever again...

• Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PETA makes me so bummed to be vegan.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Defrag Ingrid Newkirk says if you so much as whip your girlfriend with a pleather strap that makes you totally part of the problem.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Defrag Ingrid Newkirk says if you so much as whip your girlfriend with a pleather strap that makes you totally part of the problem.

Then I'm going to vegan hell for way worse things than that.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    everybody thinks going vegan is easy

but they forget just how much kink exploits our furry neighbors.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MisterAlex wrote: »
    Just when you think PETA couldn't be any more tasteless at times..

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/08/06/peta-mclean.html
    Sadly, the Westboro Baptist Church has already topped them in that department.

I hope those fucking assholes get turned around at the border.

Azio on
  • Options
    MisterAlexMisterAlex Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My god.. There's free speech, then there's hate speech. What the hell does this have to do with Gays?
    "If it's not a hoax, then they're morally deranged," said Arthur Schafer, director of the University of Manitoba's Centre for Professional and Applied Ethics

Morally deranged and fucking idiots. Every murder in Canada is because god hates us? Well then in comparison, he must hate the US quite a bit more (according to their own logic)

MisterAlex on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I'm heading to Winnipeg this weekend, I may have to find out where this funeral is being held and punch out some homophobes... or maybe make some Fark worthy protest signs to stand with them....

Help me decide PA, and give me some ideas.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "Gay protests are gay?"

MisterAlex on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I'm heading to Winnipeg this weekend, I may have to find out where this funeral is being held and punch out some homophobes... or maybe make some Fark worthy protest signs to stand with them....

punching them only makes them stronger

because they get virtually all of their income by suing people who snap and start assaulting them.

They have perfected real-life trolling.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My god.. There's free speech, then there's hate speech. What the hell does this have to do with Gays?
    "If it's not a hoax, then they're morally deranged," said Arthur Schafer, director of the University of Manitoba's Centre for Professional and Applied Ethics

Morally deranged and fucking idiots. Every murder in Canada is because god hates us? Well then in comparison, he must hate the US quite a bit more (according to their own logic)

According to the WBC, EVERYTHING BAD that happens is a result of fag-love. The WBC is basically one guy and his crazy extended family.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

According to the WBC, EVERYTHING BAD that happens is a result of fag-love. The WBC is basically one guy and his crazy extended family.

People should start picketing their home. Every day.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

punching them only makes them stronger

because they get virtually all of their income by suing people who snap and start assaulting them.

They have perfected real-life trolling.

Ahh, then I should just bring a mock protest sign to their protest? Trying to think of a good example like Leveticus saying not to mix fabrics in a cloth and how nylon/cotton blends are clothing of the devil.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wow.. Thanks tsmvengy for the Wiki link.
    Looks like they're going for the world record in the "idioticly offensive protests" department. It's pretty mind-boggling that an organization like that has managed to survive for over 50 years.

MisterAlex on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    . . .

What the fuck did you say to him, woman!?
    Storey is also haunted by a series of text messages McLean sent to her as he made his way through Manitoba. Her ex-boyfriend - to whom she remained very close - mentioned that some people were doing ecstasy on the bus.

This just doesn't fit at all. Apparently the guy was a schizo too, but I can't find the link to where I may have read that.

What the fuck, dudes... what the fuck.
    Apparently this story isn't true, the RCMP investigated it and there was no connection between the victim and the girl the accused had been talking to. Can't seem to find the story in today's Toronto Star though (read it in the print edition).

Huh: Boy says he bought laptop from bus attack accused

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I find it interesting that he wanted $600 for the laptop, but took an "o.b.o." of ... sixty dollars?

The guy either needed any money whatsoever really badly and really quickly, or just didn't give a shit what he did or didn't get for it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I also read somewhere that some people were having a bit of a meth or Xstacy party and just tripping out while they were riding.

I'm really forward to the psych report being released as well as a blood test report on what this guy was on.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, because there are so many ex-navy SEALS just taking the bus all over the place.
    They might if they're environmentally conscientious!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Apparently the Canadian Border Guard is under orders to turn away any members of the WBC that they see.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Too bad it's not shoot on sight.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Apparently the Canadian Border Guard is under orders to turn away any members of the WBC that they see.

Yup, I just saw this as well:
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/08/08/westboro-protest.html
    Canadian border guards are under orders to prevent members of a fundamentalist American church from crossing into Canada to protest at the funeral Saturday of a Winnipeg man brutally killed on a Greyhound bus last week.

Westboro Baptist Church, a controversial Kansas-based sect, intends to picket the funeral of 22-year-old Tim McLean to tell Canadians his slaying on July 30 was God's response to Canadian policies enabling abortion, homosexuality and adultery.

"God is punishing Canada for passing laws against WBC — by exposing Canadians as cannibals and highway decapitaters," the church says in a news release on its website, which refers to McLean as "The Headless Canadian."

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day's office sent an alert to border patrol to "look out" for people with signs and pamphlets consistent with the messages that the church promotes and to keep them out of the country, Winnipeg MP Pat Martin told CBC News on Friday.

"Entering Canada by a U.S. citizen isn't an absolute right, and if you're coming here only to disrupt the social order and to promote what we consider to be bordering on hate crimes or hate language, they shouldn't come into Canada," Martin said.

"We're not going to allow these people to compound the tragedy of the McLean family loss, and Canadians simply won't tolerate these lunatics disrupting what should be a respectful service."

Freedom of speech is not absolute, Martin said.

"Your freedom to swing your arm in the air ends when it touches the end of my nose," he said. "What these people were going to do was hurtful, harmful and disruptive to the peace, order and good government that we guarantee to our citizens, so they have no place in this country."

A counter-protest against the church's picket plans was launched on the social networking site Facebook on Thursday. More than 500 people have since joined the group; postings indicate they plan to form a "human wall" around the family to shield them from the church protest, if it takes place.

The Westboro Baptist Church and its founder, Pastor Fred Phelps, gained infamy by protesting gay-pride rallies and the funerals of people who have died from AIDS-related illnesses.

In recent years, church members have also picketed the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, claiming the deaths are also God's punishment for the country's tolerance for homosexuality.

Here's hoping the ceremony goes well..

MisterAlex on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Westboro Baptist Church, a controversial Kansas-based sect, intends to picket the funeral of 22-year-old Tim McLean to tell Canadians his slaying on July 30 was God's response to Canadian policies enabling abortion, homosexuality and adultery.

This confuses me. Was the either the killer or victim an abortion advocate, homosexual, or adulterer?

If not, why are the WBC choosing this particular funeral to take a shit on?

I'm not so naive that I don't see they're picking this incident to attach their propaganda to simply because it is wildly publicized and will score them lots of media attention.

Its just frustrating to me that they're picking a "random" (albeit brutal) murder that has nothing to do directly with their agenda and making it into divine retribution for so-called immoral legislation.

I wasn't aware that God punishes your lawmakers by having some dude on a bus kill another dude on a bus. If God is really pissed, he might want to take it out on someone more influential than Canada's Greyhound patrons.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The ways of God is not for man to understand.

That is to say, this is all about publicity and this is a heavily publicized murder. This doesn't really have anything to do with improving society's mores.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Erandus wrote: »

This confuses me. Was the either the killer or victim an abortion advocate, homosexual, or adulterer?

If not, why are the WBC choosing this particular funeral to take a shit on?

I'm not so naive that I don't see they're picking this incident to attach their propaganda to simply because it is wildly publicized and will score them lots of media attention.

Its just frustrating to me that they're picking a "random" (albeit brutal) murder that has nothing to do directly with their agenda and making it into divine retribution for so-called immoral legislation.

I wasn't aware that God punishes your lawmakers by having some dude on a bus kill another dude on a bus. If God is really pissed, he might want to take it out on someone more influential than Canada's Greyhound patrons.

Like I said - anything bad that happens is God punishing the world for accepting homosexuality. The WBC church regularly protests at funerals for veterans of the Iraq war, not because they were gay, or anything they did, but they want to "bring awareness" to the "fact" that the Iraq War is "God's punishment of America for their fag-loving ways." These people are insane attention grabbers and hate-mongers. There is no logic to what they do. They chose this funeral because because it's publicized and it's a tragedy they can spin. None of the funerals they protest at have anything to do with their agenda, other than the idea that everything bad that happens is God's punishing of us.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've never had so much respect for Canada until now. Can they come here and get rid of them?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ooooh, I wish I could just.... blow them up! >.<

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Put them on the no fly lists, as a hate group maybe... not sure what else could be done about them within the USA.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    I've never had so much respect for Canada until now. Can they come here and get rid of them?

Actually I was kind of hoping Canada would let them in, then arrest them. :P

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Actually I was kind of hoping Canada would let them in, then arrest them. :P

That is a much better idea. Maybe find something wrong with their passports and detain them as terrorists?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Given our riot laws and our lack of free speech, that isn't exactly impossible. Not as terrorists, but we could at least detain and/or export them.

Oats on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    according to the WBC people, some of them managed to sneak in.

given the order to our border patrol, that means the only way they could've gotten into the country is by lying about their reason for entering.

that's a federal crime.

if they do a single damn thing at this kid's funeral, they're going to be immediately arrested, charged, and probably deported.

if they don't get shot by the literally dozens of pissed off rodeo workers and carnies that are going to be there

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Does Canada ask more than "Business or Pleasure"?

How much wiggle room do you have on your reason for entering the country?

I can't imagine anyone entering Canada with the intention of pooping on someone's funeral says as much at the border.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Pony wrote: »

given the order to our border patrol, that means the only way they could've gotten into the country is by lying about their reason for entering.

that's a federal crime.

if they do a single damn thing at this kid's funeral, they're going to be immediately arrested, charged, and probably deported.

if they don't get shot by the literally dozens of pissed off rodeo workers and carnies that are going to be there

Carnie justice is the best kind of justice.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Oh, god. I wish. My respect for Canada just went up a shitload. Not allowing them to cross the border is awesome.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pony wrote: »

that's a federal crime.

Yes, clearly the best way to spare the victim's family from further anguish is to arrest a handful of American nationals and their lawyer, and turn this into a protracted diplomatic episode and pointing the spotlight firmly at these slobbering fundamentalist retards. These are the types of people who look for attention of any kind, whether negative or not. If some of them did make it into Canada, let them have their little protest and ignore them -- which would make their costly trip seem utterly pointless and discourage them from coming here again.

Azio on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    Given our riot laws and our lack of free speech, that isn't exactly impossible. Not as terrorists, but we could at least detain and/or export them.
    I don't think there's much world-wide demand for the Phelps crowd, plus with the Canadian dollar at record highs . . .

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Yes, clearly the best way to spare the victim's family from further anguish is to arrest a handful of American nationals and their lawyer, and turn this into a protracted diplomatic episode. Instead of just letting the stupid assholes have their little protest and just ignoring them.
    I, for one, would love for them to be arrested and moved from the area of any funeral I was attending rather than letting them scream obscenities during the entire thing.

Quid on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

wha?

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We have no universal freedom of speech in Canada. There are things which are illegal to say. Namely things like hate speech, which is why WBC is being turned away at our borders.

Oats on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We have no universal freedom of speech in Canada. There are things which are illegal to say. Namely things like hate speech, which is why WBC is being turned away at our borders.

While speech inciting or promoting hatred is a criminal offence and not covered by our free speech laws, simple hate speech is still considered free speech. It's a little disingenuous to say "our lack of free speech" as if we have a whole bunch of restrictions. I believe that's the only one.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't see this posted yet:
    A follow-up to the widely reported stabbing and decapitation that occurred recently on a Greyhound bus.

efb5505afc.jpg

In one of those moments of perfect timing that only occur in a weird universe, Greyhound has decided to pull its ad campaign that sported the boastful tagline: "There's a reason you've never heard of 'BUS RAGE'", because unfortunately now everyone has heard of that phenomenon.
    I'll admit I am a terrible person right now.

I laughed.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg