As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

• Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Knob wrote:
    Every fucking fruit in the universe is using Deadpool

Deadpool's the only character I've never had knocked out. He's incredibly durable.

yeah. there was a time that I was playing and I realized that my whole team had been knocked out and 20 minutes later Deadpool's going strong all by himself.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    does deadpool regenerate? that's why i'm using wolverine, as a tank i can control when someone's dishing out serious hurt

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    thanks for ruining deadpool, the internet

Knob on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    oh knob

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    can't go anywhere with comics without nineteen mouth breathers all going lol deadpool LOL DEADPOOL LOLDEDPUL HE PUNCHED KITTY PRYDE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Knob on
  • Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    well you guys can use deadpool, ill stick with dr Strange thankyouverymuch

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I finally got Doc Strange, I swapped out Luke Cage. Now I've got a team of two average joes, a quick little bastard, and a "buff plz olol."

I need to experiment more.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    I finally got Doc Strange, I swapped out Luke Cage. Now I've got a team of two average joes, a quick little bastard, and a "buff plz olol."

I need to experiment more.

actually, Luke Cage has been a huge surprise for me and ive been using him in most of my teams

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited October 2006
    oh god I want this game so so so so so so bad

so bad

Whippy on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006

so bad

me2

but i'm waiting for the Wii version

because i know copies will be traded in like 2 weeks after the wii comes out

and i should be done with zelda by then

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The ps2 version is only $40, by the way.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

so bad

me2

Me too! As in, waiting for the Wii. But I am totally buying this on launch day, this and TP.

Whippy on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

so bad

me2

Me too! As in, waiting for the Wii. But I am totally buying this on launch day, this and TP.

What happened to your 360? And on that note, your legendary Starman thread that you were supposed to drop on us?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

so bad

me2

I would if I could afford it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Keith wrote:

so bad

me2

What happened to your 360? And on that note, your legendary Starman thread that you were supposed to drop on us?

they cancelled all orders

and starman is totally awesome i should probably do that

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Keith wrote:

so bad

me2

they cancelled all orders

and starman is totally awesome i should probably do that

Yes Whippy do it. I just finished off getting in trades the individual issues I missed.

I am filled with Jack Knight love.

I too am waiting for the Wii version. Hell I pressume half the fun of it will come from looking like a complete tool while playing it.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I will be playing with deadpool when I get it

I am secure in my deadpool love

Whippy on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Hey so once I heard that getting Starman in individual issues was the best way to read it. Is this true?

PS: I too am waiting for the Wii. I made a promise bracelet to my future Wii that I wouldn't play it until after purchase.

PPS: That's a pretty lame joke.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The trades are missing a bunch of issues. Also, one of them is ruined by a shitty issue of "Power of Shazam" that appears right in the middle (Captain Marvel ruins everything he touches).

robosagogo on
  • Options
    zkeyzkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    damn I've decided on three people but I can't pick a fourth

I know I want Spidey, Cap and Colossus but after that

I was able to do the Fastball Special by grabbing Wolverine with Luke Cage like you would a regular enemy. I don't have Colossus in my game (old Xbox), but it should work with him as well.

zkey on
    crpynun.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    The trades are missing a bunch of issues. Also, one of them is ruined by a shitty issue of "Power of Shazam" that appears right in the middle (Captain Marvel ruins everything he touches).

get the fuck out of here you dumb faggot

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Agreed.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's either dumb or faggot, not both.

Sucking cock is hard, guys. Easily the most mentally taxing endeavor this side of 800 x 800 Sudoku.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

you've got to admit, though, those shazam issues were pretty fucking terrible

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

i haven't read them

but I enjoy Captain Marvel

reading up on "Power of Shazam" on Wikipedia does make it look quite bad

at least the graphic novel

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I can forgive it because it brought in totally awesome black adam

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

You have to wonder if the writers of either comic wanted to do it. The Starman issue makes Marvel out to be a complete tool and a child (like Kingdom Come did at first and JLU did) while the Shazam issue more or less drops everything interesting about Jack Knight and turn him into some jerk who's only there to realize how great Captain Marvel is by the end of the story.

At the very least, the transition between art and writing styles is jarring and Power of Shazam isn't even close to what a person would want from a Starman trade.

The crack about Captain Marvel ruining everything was hyperbole, by the way.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I can forgive it because it brought in totally awesome black adam

did it explain why his ears are all pointy

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Robinson had been wanting to do a Shazam story for years.

You know why I never made my big Starman appreciation thread? Because I refuse to tell people to read the trades. The trades are fucking awful. The only correct way to read it is in single issue form, sequentially, ads and letter pages all.

I tracked down each and every single issue I own from back issue bins, quarter racks, thrift stores, the god damne half-price books. It was an effort Jack Knight himself would be proud of.

The book isn't the same without the letters pages. I know that's totally insane, but it's true.

I love Starman so much because it caters to me exactly. It's a deep, meaningful book starring a ridiculously obscure z-list character, who over the course of the series traverses the entirety of the DCU. The back alleys, too; the weird stuff that is super important in the end, but most people wouldn't give a damn. Like all the Adam Strange stuff, and the UP treaty signing.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    He'd also been planning to do a Hawkman one from about issue 2, but since he was in a god damned mess that nobody could figure out at the time, he swapped in Black Condor instead.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Really? Was he was eager to humiliate the character?

Then again, maybe I'm forgetting some important nuance of the story.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006

You know why I never made my big Starman appreciation thread? Because I refuse to tell people to read the trades. The trades are fucking awful. The only correct way to read it is in single issue form, sequentially, ads and letter pages all.

I tracked down each and every single issue I own from back issue bins, quarter racks, thrift stores, the god damne half-price books. It was an effort Jack Knight himself would be proud of.

The book isn't the same without the letters pages. I know that's totally insane, but it's true.

I love Starman so much because it caters to me exactly. It's a deep, meaningful book starring a ridiculously obscure z-list character, who over the course of the series traverses the entirety of the DCU. The back alleys, too; the weird stuff that is super important in the end, but most people wouldn't give a damn. Like all the Adam Strange stuff, and the UP treaty signing.

Whippy, i want to give you such a big E-HUg, it was because of you that i read it as the comic gods ment to read Starman.

So much that I respect and adore starman like no other comic entity i can think of, all the joys I got out of reading the single issues all thru, man just ...man.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Oh, look at me, I'm making a desperate bid to get this back on topic!

Deadpool does indeed regenerate health, and while he's not as damage crazy as Wolverine, he's much more range with his attacks. Teleport Frenzy was a godsend during the Grey Gargoyle fight.

God I hated the Grey Gargoyle. Him and Mysterio gave me a lot more trouble than I expected.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'll probably get this with a Wii too.

How's Surfer? Does he function like all the other flying characters? Does the board materialize and dematerialize or does he carry it around with him when he's on the ground?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    I'll probably get this with a Wii too.

How's Surfer? Does he function like all the other flying characters? Does the board materialize and dematerialize or does he carry it around with him when he's on the ground?

He summons it when he needs to fly.

Besides that, I haven't really played with him. The problem with the team system is that it discourages swapping characters out until you get a roster upgrade and a new character to use.

Furu on
  • Options
    Captain CanuckCaptain Canuck Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

the letter pages and shade journals are the only reason I keep my starman scans
    I AM A PIRATE FOR ROBINSON

Captain Canuck on
    shadeodare_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    LOOK A MONKEY

Yeah. That's not a real smart thing to say.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mysterio was actually somewhat easy for me. A bit before I got to him I tried out playing as the Fantastic Four. The whole team got fucked up by him, except for Reed. All I did was that move where he twirled both arms around like propellers. It didn't cost any energy, and seemed to block most of the damage.

I do like the fact that you don't have to make your own team, and be limited by roster slots. Still haven't made one yet, though I should, since I never seem to switch.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    shade's journal was basically the greatest thing ever

Whippy on
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Mysterio was actually somewhat easy for me. A bit before I got to him I tried out playing as the Fantastic Four. The whole team got fucked up by him, except for Reed. All I did was that move where he twirled both arms around like propellers. It didn't cost any energy, and seemed to block most of the damage.

I do like the fact that you don't have to make your own team, and be limited by roster slots. Still haven't made one yet, though I should, since I never seem to switch.
    I used Captain America's awesome shield throw for that fight.

I've been thinking about running through the game on the PS2 and selling it to justify picking it up on the Wii.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif