As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - The special love between a man and his little wooden tokens

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So tonights Arkham Horror game we pulled Ithaqua who if you are in a Street location at the end of the Mythos Phase you lose a Stamina. Monsters always end up on Streets and don't go anywhere. Does that mean to clear out monsters you're always guaranteed to lose a Stamina at the end of the round?

Esh on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, for those of us in the mid-Atlantic...

http://www.congressofgamers.org/index.php

Sept 26-27 in Rockville, Maryland.

http://www.congressofgamers.org/eurocaucus.asp

Who's available?

Darian on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darian wrote: »

Who's available?

Awesome! I think I can swing this for sure, and probably bring down a few friends as well. I'll have to send them the info and see what they think. Maybe I can find someone to play me in some 2p games finally... ha

krylon666 on
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmmmm maybe the Orlando crew can take a road trip :P

What days is that?

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alex and I might be able to make it. That's right around when I need to move into a new apartment, though, which may conflict.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm fucking tired of Catan.

Have you tried any of the expansions for it? Can breathe some new life into it. Of course, playing other boardgames works as well.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darian wrote: »

Who's available?

Sadly the September LSAT is that weekend so I can't make it.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Have you tried any of the expansions for it? Can breathe some new life into it. Of course, playing other boardgames works as well.

Yes, the last couple times we played we had Cities and Knights or Seafarers.

Every single time I play, I end up placing my pieces on numbers that, statistically speaking, should come up often. Every single time I play, I end up going entire rounds without drawing a single resource card. In 6-player games. Every. Single Time.

It doesn't fucking matter if I don't come in last place because it feels like I come in last place.

Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Every single time I play, I end up placing my pieces on numbers that, statistically speaking, should come up often. Every single time I play, I end up going entire rounds without drawing a single resource card. In 6-player games. Every. Single Time.

It doesn't fucking matter if I don't come in last place because it feels like I come in last place.

I'm thinking of running a PbP Catan game. Wanna play? =P

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

oooooo PbP Catan!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, but the problem is I don't have a home PC anymore. When I initially thought of the idea my PC was working now it's not. :( I have to replace the MoBo and I figure I may as well get a new video card as well and why not processor. So it's going to be a while before it's back up and running. So, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it working without the need for a home PC. I'm actually thinking I'm gonna get a cheap netbook soon, cause sometimes I just wanna sit on my bed and post on here while watching TV.

But yeah, it'll be a while before I do it.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »

No.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Have you given the catan dice roll cards a try? The majority of my group prefers them over the real dice.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure online Catan is frowned upon because there are alternatives to PbP that the owners of the game actually endorse.

iirc

Delmain on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »

Have you given the catan dice roll cards a try? The majority of my group prefers them over the real dice.

This; it's called the event deck and comes with Traders and Barbarians, but can also be purchased separately.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure online Catan is frowned upon because there are alternatives to PbP that the owners of the game actually endorse.

iirc

I'm always up for some Catan on the 360.

Edit: Or Carcassone for that matter.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also Dark Primus, there is more to catan placement strategy than just getting numbers that come up a lot. Getting a wide spread of numbers is more important that only getting high numbers. A guy who's starting settlemens are on two sixes, two eights, and two nines is worse off than a guy whos starting settlements are on a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10.

But yes, playing with the event deck does pretty much remove any sort of steak effect that the dice create. However, I have my own reasons for not liking the event deck. My group usually rolls the dice for production, but still pull one event card each turn just for the random events.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't necessarily say he's worse off. He's likely going to be worse off, but it's a risk that could possibly pay off.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't necessarily say he's worse off. He's likely going to be worse off, but it's a risk that could possibly pay off.

Fair enough, my wording could have been more clear. It could pay off if the dice end up going in his favor, but odds are the person with the better spread will do better. Getting cards is the most important thing in Catan, even if they aren't the right cards. Because no cards means no trading, and no trading means your ability to influence the outcome of the game is dramatically reduced.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Fair enough, my wording could have been more clear. It could pay off if the dice end up going in his favor, but odds are the person with the better spread will do better. Getting cards is the most important thing in Catan, even if they aren't the right cards. Because no cards means no trading, and no trading means your ability to influence the outcome of the game is dramatically reduced.

There's also the fact that a 6 or an 8 is way more likely to get robbered than a 5 or a 9.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Has anyone played the world of warcraft board game? My group here is thinking of adding it to our rotation, seeing as we all also play wow we thought it might be worth it.

Hippie on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    These guys were just discussing it, i think this was the final comment on that conversation:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=11291782&postcount=2502

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yeah after reading some more reviews it sounds like too much work and not enough fun. but some variant coop rules sound pretty good. just get battlestar galactica

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Got BSG ages ago, and the expansion to it aint coming out here in NZ for months.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hippie wrote: »
    Got BSG ages ago, and the expansion to it aint coming out here in NZ for months.

o_O, Import it?

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Play Axis and Allies: D-Day tonight at the LGS.

Pretty fun. You set up the board with the german player having all his guys in specific spots and you get a bunch of guys ready to parachutte in or invade the beachs.

There is a deck of cards that lists what you can do that you go through in order each turn. You have 10 turns to take control of 3 german fortifications. You also get to reinforce each turn but the german player must move in from the south as you keep trying to land guys.

There are pill boxes on the beach that get to fire at your guys trying to land, You get to place fighters on spaces to get free pot shots at anything that moves in or out of that square, you get to bomb specific units that you call you are bombing, and despite their being a "script" to how the turns progress it functions more like "phases" to me.

Basically on the first turn you get to parachute in, then you take that card out. Every other turn the first thing that happens is you get to take 6 shots at pill boxes with your "navy" (you just roll 6 dice and on 2 or less it is a hit).

Then you get to place fighters where ever you want on the board

Then the german player gets to fire anti-air craft fire on your fighters that you placed in squares he has anti-air craft

Then you get to do a bombing run.

Then you take your bombers off the board.

Then he gets anti-air fire again.

Then you get to move guys. Then you get to attack stuff, then you get to invade the beaches again.

Then both players reinforce, then you take your fighters off the board.

It came down to one roll on the last possible turn. I had 4 tanks vs. his 2 on the last city I needed (you have to hold them for a full turn)... and I got it and won :P

I would play it again. It also has extra card decks that do other cool stuff that we didn't play with.

The other cool thing is the way reinforcements work. You only have a set amount of them to use and you roll two dice each turn and place that many from left to right and top to bottom on the card you have them all laid out on. The first couple lines for the US player have to be placed in specific places before you can place them where ever you want.

It ends up basically being two players sending wave after wave of guys at each other until both run out of reinforcements and then you play the last 4 turns tactically with what you got left.

Much better than the original.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's the same price as the game itself to get it shipped here. The UK is on the exact opposite side of the planet as NZ.

So, no, i'm not paying that much just for shipping.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's the same price as the game itself to get it shipped here. The UK is on the exact opposite side of the planet as NZ.

So, no, i'm not paying that much just for shipping.

That sucks a lot.

What about from the U.S.?

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It out in the U.S.?

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It out in the U.S.?

It should be soon, I think September 2nd was the date people were tossing around. If you check the FFG website, it is "Shipping Now" since Monday which has the description "Being sent to stores and major distributors should be out within 7-10 days".

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cool, well, i'll give it a look.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yeah its supposed to be out next week.

failing that, how about: galaxy trucker, space alert, arkham, or race for the galaxy?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    got arkham and race for the galaxy...

never tried the other two

Hippie on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Race for the galaxy isn't bad.... seems a bit luck-weighted IMO though.

Wait - Galaxy Trucker? I need to look this up.

AGRICOLA IS FUCKING GOLDEN!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been thinking about picking up a good two-player-game for my girlfriend and me. Any suggestions on a game that is fairly low on competetiveness and complexity?

We already own:
    Mr Jack - a tad too complex to play it more than once or twice. And since the games don't take that long to begin with...
    Dominion - fairly good fit, but begging to be played with 4 players instead of 2
    Kahuna - far, far too complicated and competetive for us
    Lost Cities - takes a little bit too much effort to pull it out more than once every couple of weeks

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    pic351533.jpg

Ok, someone explain to me how Damaged Alien Factory works. During the produce phase you can discard a card to produce a good on it. But because it's a production world, you should be able to produce a good on it no matter what, right? Or because it's "damaged" does that mean you can only produce a good on it by discarding?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not overly familiar with the game, but if that's the discard symbol, and it's right next to the title bar as well as down in the ability description, and it doesn't make much sense the other way round, I'd say you have to discard to produce.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well the rules state that during the produce phase, each production world (worlds that are filled in with a color) produces a good of that color. In that world should be producing no matter what. Whereas a windfall world (world with a halo of a color) only produce a good if you chose produce because that's your bonus. Since this is an ability during the production phase, this to me would mean that you may discard a card to produce on that world, but based on the rules it should already produce because it is a production world. It would make more sense if it was either a normal world or a windfall world. It doesn't say on the card, or any of the rules that I could find, that this world doesn't produce a good through "normal" means.

I don't have the expansion, and played with it for the first time last night, and we saw this after the game was over and realized if we were playing incorrectly.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You have to discard to produce on it. The text on the card supercedes the standard rules, although admittedly they could have done a better job making that clear.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So it doesn't produce a good through normal means? Yeah, I think they should have made that a bit more clear.

The word "may" makes me think that you can do it this way or the normal way. But thanks for clarifying that.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.