As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - IC] zephyr : "[Game Activity Related Tagline Here]"

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Party
    Farsiac, Forest Outskirts (Forest)
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 22

Keegan makes navigating the debris look like a trivial task, and returns with the lockbox. As he progresses into the wreck he can feel the tingly sensation increase greatly, all the more reason to effortlessly speed through the obstacle course and return with the box in tow.

As he drops it to the ground, he can hear the familiar clink of coinage. (Any - If you open the lockbox) It looks like there's about 2,200 gold coins inside. Immediately on top of the coins rests a Cashier's note. The money seems to be receipts for "exchange" purchases and payoffs. No doubt the crash of this vessel made more than a few people unhappy..

It's not payroll money. That's a different parcel. ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Saurin prys open the box.

"About time we saw some cash for the work we have been putting in."
    I'll assume we do an even split.

Saurin hands the letter to Eron.
    "You should hold on to this the names it references may be useful if we need to bribe or bluff our way through some defenses."

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Party

After distributing the gold amongst their persons, the group begins to move yet again. The further along they go, the more it feels as though they're being watched. Vine covered airship debris hangs from the trees in many places, and more and more clusters of deadstone are visible. The crystalline substance juts out of some of the trees, sunlight glinting off the multifaceted branches like chandeliers. It'd almost be pretty if it weren't so deadly…

FAST FORWARD.

The day wears on and the sun makes its way across the sky. Clouds gradually settle in above you and—combined with the jungle canopy—drastically reduce the light in the area. Far off in the distance you hear the crackle of thunder. Your plant-like skin itches slightly but for the most part you've all grown accustomed to the change. A thin mist begins to fall.

Finally, after much traveling through the underbrush, and a variety of debris you can make out a clearing ahead of you. Light shines out of several poles surrounding what you're fairly certain are the walls of the Merkaban mining town. Could it be? Could you have actually made it to the settlement without running into a single hostile creature? Your senses told you otherwise…

(Travel Mode)
    All travel will use the same format depending this goes. We've done it before but I want to standardize it.

Travel Map
    N/A

Travel Overview

Destination: Mining Town
    Time of Day: (+8 H, Morning)
    Terrain: Difficult
    Weather: Humid, Warm, Cloudy (Mist)
    Est. Travel Time: ~10 Hours.

Rolls!

Rolls may be made either with IC content or rolls only in the OOC. The following skills may be used to improve time and effort required to get to your destination.

Required Rolls: A percentile!

Optional

Nature: This skill helps you get a better handle of which way is which, and how to better overcome terrain obstacles.
    Perception: Perception helps keep you from being ambushed, or notice other things along the way. (Successes reduce travel time)
    Stealth: Stealth determines how stealthy you are. This includes leaving a trail behind as you travel. (Increases travel time, reduces encounter chance and awareness, increases advantage chance)
    Athletics: Determines how well you keep your pace if you hurry. (Successes reduce travel time by more, reduces perception and stealth.)
    Endurance:: If you're going across rough terrain, environment and/or pushing yourselves via athletics then an endurance check is necessary (This will be called. Failures may result in loss of healing surges via exertion.)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "Could we really have made it all the way to the town without encountering a single hostile creature?" Keegan asks quietly, while scanning the area. "My senses tell me otherwise..."

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Party

Having made it to the town, you stand before the outskirts of the town to catch your breath. The sun reflects off the high walls, and the light from the poles flickers slightly. (PArcana - Eron) Your senses tell you that the poles surrounding the perimeter of the town's walls are wards of some sort. Waiting around you notice a sapling rising out of from of the stump of a nearby tree. Further beyond the town, you can even make out what appears to be a large lake. The mist continues to fall upon you. Larger drops form from the canopy and pattering down loudly onto your leafy foreheads. But beyond that, it was was quiet. Too damned quiet.

As if the world itself stirred from a state of ennui everything changed. Directly above you the forest canopy moved as the very forest forest awakens. Vines restrict and coil and an inexplicable wave of sheer terror hits your bodies (This is a magical effect.), compelling you to run toward the town. With a fleeting look over your shoulders you can tell that this creature massive, and somewhat familiar. Two thicker masses of vine almost resemble legs that wrapped around tree trunks a considerable distance apart. Its rosebud like head emerges from the larger central mass, and flecks of light shine about.

Tendril after tendril unfurl and just before you as the cicadian chitter of Black Knights breaks out. At least ten of the Wonders, one of them larger than any you'd encountered before immediately begin to dart toward you. Some vault the town's walls, while the largest bursts through its front gate. Their forearm blades extend and glow with energy and each step they take kick up turf and mud. A crack of thunder whips out in Saurin's ear as the ground to his left immediately evaporates; the air brimming with energy as one of the creature's tendrils slowly rises back. Its target, the black knight in front of the fighter has evaded the attack and continues toward him.

With how fast everything had gone to hell, it was hard to believe that they were only fifty to sixty feet away from the town walls. Still blinded by terror, Eron nearly runs directly into another Black Knight, which jumps into the air the avoid the worthless obstacle. Another crack of thunder whips out, and is accompanied by the sounds of metal twisting directly over the wizard's head. Two large, wet thunks inform the wizard of just what happened; it slew the Wonder in a single hit.

A twin flashes of bright light flare out before you as the larger Black Knight fires something at the beast. It nearly steps on Keegan as it then continues to rush at its mark without skipping a beat. Your senses return to you as slide to a halt against the town's walls. Behind you, the vinish nightmare begins to withdraw into the forest, the Black Knights having vaulted high into the trees to fight it.

"—#$t$SFzree tadpole? @!#$%%!!@~~!!#)! Here?" The sharp pain of Arlen's voice cuts in abruptly but is mostly incomprehensible.

As the chittering and clanging of combat fades even deeper back the way you came, the silence returns. The the gates to the town, kicked open by the larger Knight, hang open. It creaks in the wind.

IT WAS THE ONLY WAY!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ewan ducks quickly and silently through the open door, looking for a patch of green to blend in with.
    Stealth!: 1d20+12 23

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Eron is completely rattled by his brush with the Black Knight and the viney thing. He follows Ewan through the gates, trying to be unobtrusive, but panting and slipping in the mud prevents it. He presses up against the inner wall and looks around.
    stealth, perception: 1d20+5 13 1d20+7 10

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Keegan, too high on adrenaline and plant fumes to really pay much attention to his surroundings, manages little more than to slip into the shadows and slink his way past the gate. "I wonder if I could ride..." he begins to wonder under his breath, but then decides better of it. "Yeah, probably not."

Denada on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Vandel trips over himself, as he runs into the town with his comrades.
    Stealth: 1d20+4 5
    pffft

streever on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Despite his left hand shaking furiously now that the tension of the moment had passed Saurin is able to steady himself and for once in his life quietly move as he enters the town through the busted front gates.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Party

"Freeze!" A voice yells out the moment Vandel trips his way through the gate. The inside of the town looks to follow a traditional circular setup, although some buildings seem to be boarded up. Heavily. There isn't much time to take in the scenery though, because the thing that immediately grabs your attention is the Merkaban guard that has his heavy crossbow trained on Eron and Vandel.

"—4%^$^famage r45m 4A3Zz dist$%azf, heh." Another pain cuts through your consciousness after Arlen pings. Given his recent messages though, it's probably safe to assume it wasn't particularly useful information anyway.

"Identify yourselves now!" the man screams. You notice that behind him lies a heavily damaged airship, and as the mist slowly becomes a steady rain, you hear it pattering against a tarp that covers the cockpit. Another tarp covers one of the airship's drive cores, and there are tools on the ground near it. (PInsight - Eron, Saurin -OR AInsight DC 17) Judging from the man's stance and glances, it seems that he isn't aware that Ewan, Keegan, or Saurin have infiltrated the town's walls.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "Did you see that thing?" Vandel asks, pointing backwards, and looking terrified. It wasn't much of an act--he was genuinely pretty terrified.

streever on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ewan locks himself down, barely breathing. He looks towards the tarp covering the airship's core and rests his thumb on his core grapple. If he could get lined up with the guard between him and the core...
    Perception: 1d20+14 26 What can I see?

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "A giant plant just tried to eat us! What in hells was that?" Eron tries to follow Vandel's lead of not identifying himself.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Party

"Yea, and it followed you leafy bastards here and lured the last of the marauders off!" he yells back. You notice that he's favoring his left leg, the right being in a splint and all. "Now... I said identify yourselves!"

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "We're simply travelers! You'll forgive me, but it's hard to think clearly after narrowly avoiding death and finding ourselves just in time to receive the business end of a crossbow!" Vandel says, panicked.

Think, Lochleer. Maybe we can use this to our advantage.

"We're simple historians, researching the history of elven settlements in this region. We're seeking any large groups of elves to ask them questions about the way they live and their customs."

Hoping his words relax the man somewhat, Vandel starts a lengthy dissertation on the history of Elves in Merkhaba, speaking quickly and hoping to distract the man--or confuse him--long enough for his comrades to do something.
    History: 1d20+15 30
    Diplomacy: 1d20+13 21[
    /b]

streever on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Party

"Historians! How could the two of you possibly survive that forest?" The man keeps his crossbow trained on both of you, itdoesn't seme like he's more likely to shoot, but until he could fully ascertain who you were, or what you pretended to be, he wasn't going to drop his guard. "They're probably dead. Nothing out there survives."

"Wai^ H(#!z 4~ kiL& J#<" a different voice stabs into your minds. It almost feels like Mariposa's.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    While Eron and Vandel keep the soldier occupied, Keegan creeps around to a flanking position. No sense in wasting a good distraction.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "Well, I'm a bit of an armchair alchemist you see. I found an old elven recipe in a library many years ago during our studies. It was for making a potion that makes you less likely to attract the attention of nasty creatures. And plants as the case may be. These" he says indicating his leafy growths, and taking a cue from his time with Keegan, "appear to be a rather unfortunate side affect. That or I got the formula wrong. I think my saproling bark may have been less than fresh, and I'll swear that old hag sold me imitation myconid spores. It smelled off to me"

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "And the soldiers we hired are dead. We are the only two to survive. It's tragic really... Do you have a place we can get cleaned up and.. remove these saplings?"

streever on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Still palming his core grapple, Ewan slowly gets into position.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Party

Saurin remains in place, hiding behind the building that he so fortuitously managed to get to before the soldier turned around. The rain continued to fall down, the sound of the droplets against the tin rooftops likely aiding the his ally's efforts to hide. The mercenary realized that the soldier was likely alone. It was a horrible feeling, being the last man standing. Though from the looks of things he wouldn't be standing for long. Keegan and Ewan both begin to move into a position to attack the poor fellow, as Vandel continues to be, well Vandel.

"Heh," the soldier grunts his reply. "There's no elves, and no vacancies. You best go back the way you came, shit's worse here than it looks."

Moving along the back wall of the nearest building and along a street to get into a flanking position. Keegan notices something about the buildings on one of the small streets that made up the town. The buildings were heavily damaged. The faint sense of dread that rises in the halfling's gut, but he isn't quite sure why. Glancing about the street, it just looked like the town had fallen into a state of deep disrepair.

As Ewan moves around into position, he feels his chest begin to throb. all of this movement wasn't really helpful. With his grapple in hand, he moves closely against the walls of one of the structures to get into position. The condition of the buildings here was rather surprising, given the import of what lay in this region. The fact that there weren't other guards here too was somewhat unusual. Either way, the Black Knights would return eventually. If he was going to take out this soldier, he'd need to move fast, he reasoned. But then something caught his attention. (PPerception Ewan, Keegan -OR- Requires APerception - DC19) With a closer view of the sides of some of the buildings you notice that the wood bulged and was warped in an unusual way. The way the light caught on some of the surfaces almost resembled glass, no, deadstone. Peering further across the town you also notice that some of the doors to buildings have been sealed shut in a manner that would keep something locked within it...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "Where are your other soldiers? What is wrong, friend?" Vandel asks, now truly concerned for the well-being of the man.

streever on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Party

"What? Gods! Get out of here you busy-bodies, I've got to get this thing up and running again so we can get the hell out of here." The soldier shifts his weight even further onto his good leg and lowers his crossbow. He begins to cautious step back toward the downed airship again, moving under the tarp and out of the rain. Once there, he slides onto the ground, though he still watches you.

"Lieutenant!" A somewhat sickly sounding voice calls out from the larger building directly across from the entrance. "Knight! I heard screaming, is everything well?" Though you can hear the male voice, the airship between you and it obstructs your view of the subject.

"Get back inside!" The soldier calls back.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "Apologies for interrupting, sir. We'll take shelter over there," pointing at some indeterminate place, "Until that... tree monster is gone. Then we'll be on our way."
    He's distracted--let's just walk away and get in the mine.

streever on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "Yeah, waiting it out seems like a good idea."

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ewan reluctantly hangs up his grapple and waits until no one else is in sight before stepping out of his hiding space.
    Checking for clear coasts: Perception: 1d20+14 27

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Not wanting to move lest he give away his position Saurin watches the scout the see when he can move out of cover.
    Basically Saurin will take Ewan's lead on if he leaves cover or runs in to back him up should a fight break out.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Keegan opts for staying hidden while he moves with the group.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "Actually sir" Eron says as the soldier turns around. "What with the danger in the forest, your ship might be the best bet for us getting out alive. I'm fairly competent at repairing magical energy sources. Perhaps I could help you? It also sounds like you have some friends who are under the weather. We might be able to help them too."

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    While the soldier's back is still turned and with him appearing not be an immediate threat Eron gives Vandel what he hopes is a communicative look, and cups a hand to his ear.
    "Oh my! Do you hear that Vandel? Haloo! we're over here! How wonderful, our friends have indeed avoided the plant thing!"

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "Let's be straight with the man, Eron. Our friends were hiding in fear of you, sir, but as you don't seem keen on killing us, we'd like to offer their--and our--assistance."

streever on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ewan waits for the response from the Merkaban before moving out of hiding.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well aren't we the friendly sort.

Saurin tenses as he hears Erons ham-fisted attempt to give him an opening to enter the field, but I doubt the man would be comforted to see a fully armored mercenary stroll out of the shadows with a how do you do. Hopefully the man was as worn down as he sounded and this would all work out.

I'd hate to be the one to put the last man down, but as the Raven Queen wills.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Party
    Farsiac, Forest Outskirts (Mining Town)

"Wa$^ t$e …ellX" Arlen's voice cuts into your minds.

The man looks at Vandel and Eron, his face clearly expressing what was genuine confusion. These men obviously weren't on the level, of that he was sure. His shoulders rise and then drop sharply as he exhales.

"Things can't get any worse." He whispers to himself, and then reaches up into the airship's damaged starboard nacelle (This is the right one. Which is is facing you.). He places the object he'd retrieved into his satchel and turns to face you again.

"Come on, follow me inside. It's too damned miserable out here to be having this conversation. Your friends" his emphasis on the word makes it clear he still doesn't fully trust you, "can come too."

He then begins to wait for them to appear (You can still hide outside, or you can present yourselves. It's your call).

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ewan stands, looking towards Keegan's hiding place and shaking his head very, very slightly. As if to say, Probably best one of us stays out here.

He then goes towards the ship to see if he can tell what's wrong.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Keegan makes a motion with his hand, something akin to a bird transforming into a bear then swimming down a waterfall. Good call. I'll stay out here. The swimming bear finds a delicious salmon. Signal if anything tries to kill you.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Saurin happy that he can stop playing the statue eases himself out from behind the building and moves up to join the group.

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Party
    Farsiac, Forest Outskirts (Mining Town)

You move toward the damaged airship as the wind kicks up. The tarp that covers the cockpit swells, before coming loose. It reveals that half of the structure has been torn apart. Blackened vines jut out from the fringes of tattered wood and metal from the hull, and a jagged stump is all that remains of the what was likely the pilot's chair. This ship was likely a victim of the forest.

"Gods," The lieutenant limps past Ewan, and grabs at the tarp. Pulling it down he looks at Eron. "Problem here is mostly mechanical, as you can see."

"Lieutenant! Come quickly! It's Kaspal!" The voice you'd heard earlier calls for the man once more.

The man grits his teeth and abruptly begins to limp his way back toward the building in the back. Moving beyond the airship, you can see that it is the largest structure within the town. The sign above its double doors reads "TOWN HALL," and the man calling for the Merkaban soldier looks to be wearing civilian clothing. The way the clothes hang off his body suggest that he's severely malnourished.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    "Sir, you may be beaten up, but you still have some strength in you," Vandel says, following him. "Your men need you. We'll help you as much as we can, and I know you can pull together and get them out of here."
    spend an INSPIRING WORD to heal the fellow

streever on