As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - IC] zephyr : "[Game Activity Related Tagline Here]"

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Endaren Cloudbinder (One day ago)
    Merkaban Territory, Fahbreeze
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 26

As the others ponder, Endaren has a look around. The sphere that is inset in the frame doesn't appear to have any magical energies about it. Given its position on the frame you're certain that at one point thousands of years ago it may have done something.

The rod is just the opposite though. You can easily sense that it is bleeding out magical energies of the conjuration variety. Its intensity of the energy reminds you of what it feels like to be standing near an active gate (Transportation between the drifts is done primarily via gates, which are pretty much just permanent teleportation circles/gates with defenses and stuff.), although there are no portals that you can sense at the moment.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Endaren grins, betting his best silk shirt against a beggar's rags that the rod is one way Sveta was able to meet up with all of them so secretly, that it just may be how they leave these damned sewers, and that Sveta would kill him instantly if he tried to take it. Cocking his head a little he tries to make out what exactly it is that Sveta...well, is. Certainly she is a powerful arcanist, of what type Endaren would certainly love to know, but may have sort of natural ability to change appearance, and of course the mind thing Finn talked about.

Endaren is fascinated by this show of simple power Sveta did not present the first time. You could say he's almost blankly staring at her like an infatuated schoolboy, or a moth at a light, so intensely interested that only a word from her, or a choice of mission from the others will snap him out of it.
    Arcana for specifics on magical abilities=26, History and Religion to see if he has heard of any races/groups/etc. with her sort of abilites: History=31, Religion=18

• Options
    Finnian Goswick, Endaren Cloudbinder, Rais Saif (One day ago)

The room grows awkward as Endaren begins to glaze over and stare intently at Sveta. If this felt uncomfortable to the Caretaker she doesn't show it. Judging by her small frame and youthful features, she didn't seem to be much of a threat. Ignoring her slight silvered complexion her features appear human. The only other physical abnormality that you notice are that her fingernails are closer to talons. Given the roots of her hair are black and then fade into silver you conclude that she's not naturally silver-headed. With no hints of illusory or transmutation energies about her this coloration is likely alchemical. In general she "feels" like a normal human.

But feeling isn't everything. No writings on the Lady Tamerlaine or the Alabaster Citadel are complete without mention of the dragon goddess' stewards and exarchs at her side. Similarly, other deities have groups performing the same functions. Many of the myths and legends involving them speak of their fighting against each other. A good ability to have in light of that would be masking your presence from others. This could explain why you can't really sense her ability.

What you can't tell in person is covered in lore. For millenia, stories of silver-adorned men and women continued on in many regions. Most of these tales discuss their involvement with the upkeep of Wonders. Some of the more outlandish tales have individual Caretakers possessing godlike strength, speed, invisibility, and even speaking without "speaking." The latter ability being confirmed for the Eladrin when his staring fit is interrupted by a sharp pain in his head. From this pain sprouts words:

"Is there something wrong, Endaren?"

Creepy. :p

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    Finnian spreads his hands with a shrug. "I am a public figure here, milady, and my leaving will be noticed sooner or later. Better to leave a note for my advisors than to risk the hue and cry of a manhunt in a few days."

He thought some more. "Unless you're talking about the sewer bridge. Which I blame on the sewage."

"Personally, I prefer to go after the mad scientist first. It seems like a more appropriate first foray for our party, testing us and allowing us to bond as a group. Though I suspect, whichever we choose first, the one that we get to second will have an army of soldiers waiting for us."

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular

*snip* The latter ability being confirmed for the Eladrin when his staring fit is interrupted by a sharp pain in his head. From this pain sprouts words:

"Is there something wrong, Endaren?"

Creepy. :p

Snapping out of it as if nothing had ever happened, Endaren rubs his temple and glances at "Sveta." "I agree with halting the works of this madman. Certainly their will be an army waiting for us on the second mission, all the more reason to get our tactics in line destroying some wild "beasts."

Creepy? Sure, why not =p.

• Options
    Eron Chastain, Keegan Lyriao and Others (One day ago)

"Heh," Arlen speaks aloud, his voice muffled behind fresh bandages. "So have you guys given any thought to what you're going to hit next? Our gracious benefactor just sent me a message."

"Oh," Mari frowns, his talking interfering with her tightening bandages. "What did they say?"

"Where do you intend to strike next?" he asks again. "She also told me that they have replenished our ranks too, no details though."

Forgot to ask you guys and lodwilk kinda vanished on their side. Consensus will end past dating and bump you to the point of meeting/continuing.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Well," Keegan says, balancing a feather on his hand, "The way I see it, we're stuck between an insane wizard with an army of armored kruthiks and probably some kind of two-headed super-jiggler, and an insane premier with an army of black knights buried in a vault. We've fought all of these things before, and none of them were easy. But those jigglers smell really bad, and the kruthiks can breed. I don't think black knights get together and make little baby black knights. It's like my cousin Traevus used to say, 'If it breeds, we should kill it.' Now he was referring to rabbits at the time, and eventually we had to send him away because there weren't any rabbits and he was ruining the crops, and that saying is kind of horrible if you really think about it, but in this situation..."

After a few more minutes, Keegan finally comes to a conclusion. "...and like he said, 'if the oven is hot, put in your dough.' So my vote is for Huxby first."

• Options
    The Lands Above, Duncan

"Really? Everything smells and tastes like blood to me." Arlen shrugs at the halfling, and then stares off into space as he begins to tell his tale.

"Seems they agree too. We're going to meet them, and then make our way to this Huxby fellow's lair. Should be fun, yes? See you downstairs."

Arlen heads into the basement, no doubt making his way through the secret tunnels that lead into the ruins where the Ranstead rested. After arranging things to make your departure seem mysterious, you too head down to the basement and make your way to the Ranstead…

"It is time," as Sveta spoke those words she stood up and placed a hand on the rod. No sooner than she does this is the room consumed by a bright light. With each breath you took it almost seemed as though the air was getting lighter and dryer. The smells of the sea and dank fading into a faint smell of ozone. Endaren recognizes the smell instantly; their destination was in the Lands Above.

When the light fades, you find yourselves in another underground ruin. A quick glance around you revealed yet another ancient room. Judging by the features of the room, it was an ancient gate chamber. Sveta wastes no time in moving toward the exit and you follow. The silver rod that she had placed her hand on crumbles into nothingness as the door to the chamber slides open. She leads you into a very large room that is dimly illuminated by orbs of light 15 meters above your heads. There look like there are two other doorways on the other walls. There are deep scratches on the metal floor of the chamber as if heavy objects had been moved around it a lot at some point.

The markings on the floor are similar to landing/transport/taxi lines, suggesting that this was some kind of ancient dock. Off in the distance, in the very center of the room, a black object hovers a few feet off the ground. Several dots and lines of soft lighting outline its details. It is surely a vessel, but its structure is unlike anything that you've seen before. As you draw nearer to the vessel one of the other doors in the chamber opens.

The Lands Above, Duncan

After taking the paths back to the Ranstead, you reach the hangar area. Upon entering the chamber, you notice in the distance several others approaching. One of them looks to be rather tall and bulky. The other two, not so much. The puff of silver hair and kaftan easily give the one leading them away as Sveta.

• Options
    "That was a nice trick, too bad that rod is gone. But will yah look at that..." Endaren whistles softly as he examines the black object. "Never seen one of these before, even when I bribed the SF guys to let me in their secret room. Must be custom."

• Options
    edited November 2011
    The Party (One day ago)
    The Lands Above, Duncan

Up close the vessel looks very similar to an airship in many ways. The hull of the vessel seems metallic in nature, but there are some bumps and irregularities on its surface. The way some of the scratches and dents seem to be smoothing themselves out almost resembles flesh healing. It was obviously another Wonder. Sveta comes to a stop near a box. Oddly enough, Eron and the others note that it wasn't there when they left the Ranstead days ago.

Ignoring the box for now, Sveta takes the time to introduce you to each other. Endaren notes that the box has a sphere like the one he'd observed on the frame earlier.

"A dragon? Good to know that we're completely removing subtlety from the equation," Arlen says.

Mari salutes her fellow Knight and looks at Rais with some trepidation but remains pleasant. There would be time for small talk later though, as Sveta begins to brief the lot of you further.

"We do not go near Leveche so we can not tell you what you will find. We suspect that the environment will be your worst enemy and to that end—" Sveta waves her hand at the box and it opens. There are several neatly folded pieces of cloth inside. "—we think you should wear these. The Ranstead can only take you so close to your target."

"Sounds like fun. You know you guys are going to look like me with those scarves on!" Arlen points to the bandages wrapped around his head and begins to move toward the back of the Ranstead. The hatch slides open. "Well, everybody but the dragon guy" he adds before entering the vessel.

Svete takes a moment to explains how to wear them and what they do:
    Caretaker Shemagh (Level 11, Uncommon)
    This shemagh (scarf) is light brown with the trademark silvered sheen of Lady Tamerlaine and her Caretakers. When worn, wards woven into the cloth allow you to both see and breathe easier in desert environments.
    Item Slot: Head
    Property: Gain a +2 item bonus to Perception and Endurance checks in Desert environments.
    Power (Encounter): Until the end of your next turn, squares with naturally obscured terrain may be treated as though they are lightly obscured.

Shortly after that, she asks if you have any other questions.

Below is the dossier for this quest arc:
    This packet contains a single note and several maps, and a small book titled "A Geographical Survey of Leveche." You think its title is self-explanatory. Eron would recall that this book was never widely published, and in fact its existence was only hinted at by some of the older members of the Mage Guild.
    Her majesty's suspicions were true. Huxby continues his vile research even after she'd shut him down. I was unable to extract the location of facility from one of his associates though. I'm sure in time I will be able to coax this information out of her. The most likely location is the Valley of Sirocco, on Leveche. The driftlings present there would provide both cover from the harsh environment and testing grounds for his kruthik creations. Nobody in their right mind would ever think to look or even go venture there.

The maps (not pictured), give an approximate location within the valley. There are several valleys featured on the map, which snake across the continent. The outer fringes of the continent are mountainous. Most of the interior of the map is empty beyond the fringes of the valleys. In addition to this, there is a book about the continent. You flip around the book to find some of the more interesting tidbits of data.
    TEH BOOKZ. wrote:
    A Geographical Survey of Leveche
    By
    Zephyr's Expeditioneers

Foreward

Leveche is a land of mystery, for both High and Lowborne alike. To be able to put aside our differences to create the first unilateral effort to explore this dark continent together as one people has been an honor, and a pleasure. We have shed blood together on the shores of hell, and pray tell have come back better people. May our friendship outlast the politics that brought us together, and subsequently broke us apart.

- Naro Exposito

Environment
    The continent's most prominent feature is the storm system known as "Hell's Maw." This massive, stationary cyclone extends almost all the way into the Upper Layer of the Lands Above. This means the walls of this cyclone would be several miles high. Despite the ferocity of Zephyr's storms, it is hard to believe that this is natural by any means.

Attempts to view the continent from above are extremely difficult due to the high winds it generates in the upper layers. Closer to the ground, these winds have caused high concentrations of sand particles to be kicked into the air, subsequently generating large amounts of lightning activity at all layers. The risk of lightning is not reduced at any altitude. In general, overland flight is not recommended. The constant sandstorm causes extremely low visibility in the sky, and next to none at ground level. Sand tornadoes have been observed as well, though they are a rare occurrence.

Fortunately, travel within the continent is possible via a network of valleys we have discovered. The origin of these valleys, we believe, is the product of sinkholes created by voids left from the drying up of groundwater sources. There is some evidence that suggests that some of these valleys may have at some point been rivers, with wind erosion gradually contributing to their depths. When travel outside of the valleys is unavoidable, we have constructed a network of lightning rods to protect us. in the event that a valley ends. This is further evidence to the unnatural state of this land.

The humidity here rivals that of the upper portions of the Lands Above. This combined with the high concentrations of sand in the air makes the atmosphere nearly unbreathable. Temperatures in the area are often excess of 50°C during the day. However, unlike the deserts of other regions, nighttime temperatures hover around 20°C. Perhaps this is due to the clouds trapping heat within the region. Despite evidence of the presence of water, we have been unable to discover any remaining natural sources. Ambient magical energies in the region are within expected ranges…

Wildlife
    We have yet to encounter any indigenous lifeforms on the island. In theory, creatures found in similar, less-extreme environments may exist, but this is highly unlikely. I fear such an encounter, should it occur.

The conclusion of the survey is rather poignant:
    Though we suspect it would take a god's lifetime, eventually all of Leveche will erode away.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    "My only question is where in this...mess...we are being dropped off." Endaren smiles sadly and returns the salute. It was good to see a Knight again, if only it didn't bring back those memories. Having taken notice that the box has a familiar sphere, Endaren gives it a quick magical once over, and is not surprised at all when its contents are found to be of value. "Lets be off then, the sooner we face this place and its denizens the better." Not knowing exactly where to sit in this contraption, Endaren watches the others be seated before taking his own. He would have to study this more later...very interesting.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Eron lets Mariposa and the kitten have the other seat in the pilot cabin, and sits in the main passenger compartment so he can get to know their new allies. He sits Ceeteedee next to the wall and takes the next to him to try and forestall any unfortunate incidents.
    As he watches the "dragon guy" eying the seats, he says "Don't worry, they're quite good at adjusting. Your wings shouldn't bother you too much. Why do you have them anyway? Were you born with them or where you later augmented? Do they allow you to fly?"
    "Oh yes, sorry. I'm Eron by the way. They really are fascinating."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Keegan takes his usual seat. "I wonder what's inside the storm. I'll bet there's some kind of magic castle or something. A place like that would have probably have some amazing treasure too. Andy," he says, looking at Endaren, "What do you know about magic castle-storms? Anything? What about you Finn? I knew a Goswick once. Actually Goswick was his first name. And it was Goddard, now that I'm thinking about it." Hearing Eron mention wings, Keegan gives Rais a good once-over. "Hey, you've got wings. How strong are you? Maybe we could ride you into the cyclone when we go look for the castle."

• Options
    "Magic castle-storms huh? Let me think for a second." Caught off guard by the nickname Endaren takes a moment to ponder not only magic castle-storms, but the interesting new companions he's just met. He didn't think he'd ever heard of something like that before, but it certainly set off a few arcane triggers. If there was some cult or religious organization involved that might provide a lead.
    Arcana=36, History=18, Religion=34

• Options
    "Fascinating. Goddard, you say? Quite the coincidence," Finn nodded, trying to get a feel for everyone in the room at once. Darkest Leveche, is it? What an exotic start for these adventures. The stories they will tell...

"I'm sorry, I'm having problems focusing with the... smell that's lingering with me. Does this vessel have facilities for cleaning?"

• Options
    edited November 2011
    The Party (One day ago)
    The Lands Above, Duncan

As you move into the interior of the Ranstead, you find that despite it being a Wonder, the vessel is very utilitarian in appearance. The main compartment is lined on both sides with four chairs that weren't so much chairs as they were harnesses, and looked just as comfortable. Two arms went over the shoulder, and something like a stool between the legs. Fortunately for the Dragonborn, they were adjustable enough to accommodate him despite his wings. Outside of that, there wasn't much of note in the interior of the vessel. Another chamber that was obviously the cockpit area was further ahead.

In the cockpit area, Arlen slides into a seat which then slides into the wall and which then closes up. In the middle of chamber there was a console. A projection of the Ranstead hovered there.

"Well, no." Mari looks at Finn. Her years of experience with preserving the dignities of the incontinent coming in handy yet again. "I'm sure Eron can help freshen you up, but for now I think it's best we get moving..."

She helps the smelly bard into his "chair," and ensures that he's properly secured.

While this is occurring, Endaren thinks about the storm but there wasn't much to think about. Nothing that had gone into the heart of the cyclone came out. Airships that weren't torn apart by the winds in the upper levels were destroyed when they flew too low and were sucked into the cyclone of the Maw. Attempts to scry into it have also failed. It is not even possible to create a portal into the region. In the book A Geographical Survey of Leveche, there are mentions of attempts to maneuver phased objects toward the center as well. These too ended in failure.

(AReligion - Endaren -OR- Requires DC 21) There was once a cult known as the White Wind that believed that deep within Hell's Maw an ancient and powerful being slumbered. Thinking that the blood of mortals would waken this being, they summon its children and have them wreak havoc on civilization. An enemy of both Highborne and Lowborne states, this group was responsible for the devastation caused in many random towns, this would include their having successfully torn the fabric of reality to call forth a tempest elemental.

Only an expedition led by Els Aveli, former Commander of the Zeyphr Knights Scouts division, resulted in its destruction, and the death of most of the cult's leadership. In the last major collaborative effort between the Highborne and Lowborne states before the Highborne-Merkaban, its members were rooted out and destroyed.

The swordmage's musings on the past are interrupted by the wall's sudden change of appearance. Looking across from him, he can see the exterior of the vessel as if looking through glass. Above, the roof looks the same. Details of the chamber you were in are outlined like some kind of enhanced vision. Sveta is nowhere to be found outside, and Arlen informs you that it was time to move.

Despite his statement, there is no sensation of movement as the vessel turns. Arrows on the floor begin to glow and the outline of a teleportation circle on the floor at far end of the room appears. Wherever you were headed must be underwater, as its full activation is heralded by a geyser of liquid. The Ranstead gets closer and closer, until it finally enters. The darkness of the room is replaced by the dull blue of the sea. Exiting the shell of the gate chamber, you find yourselves on some ancient road. Small fish and other water-life dart in and out of the shells of buildings. High above one can make out the soft circle of the sun...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Finn wraps the silvery scarf around his neck, taking some comfort in having at least one clean piece of clothing, as he settles into his harness-chair. I must be strong. For the others.

He pulls his lute from his travelling bag and starts to tune it. "Tell me, Keegan, Eron, which do you think will be more important in these travels, speed or stealth? Surely we want to move through the sandstorms as quickly as possible, yes?"
    Finn can do Traveler's Chant (+2 to travel speed) or Traveler's Camouflage (bonus to stealth, harder to track), assuming we're going to disembark soon. Any preferences?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Eron considers the question as he begins to magic away the crustifying sewer gunk covering Finn. "That's a tough one. On the one hand, it's not exactly easy to follow the Ranstead. On the other, drakes and giant carnivorous fish don't seem to have the same trouble as the Merkabans. And if we were hidden we could park closer to our target, rather than hiking through more wilderness."
    !Vote camouflage.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Ahhhh! Many thanks, friend." Finn considers Eron's words. "I have charms that can hide our persons while we travel, but I don't think it can extend to the entire ship. If the ship goes uncharmed, how far away will we have to disembark?"

• Options
    edited November 2011
    The Party (One day ago)
    The Lands Below, The Ranstead

"Well, considering we don't even know where the hidden lair of this mad arcanist is other than 'in a valley, in a sandstorm'" I'm going to go with I have no idea," Arlen says over the com then adds "But don't worry about hiding the Ranstead, the place is just one big sandstorm after all. How are you going to get in, would be something to consider."

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    "Ah, yes. It was my suspicion stealth would not be a problem. Only someone crazy would go into that storm afterall." Endaren cleans himself off a bit, not too much though. He was quite sure the sand was going to do a number on him soon enough.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    "How to get in, how to get in..." Finn twists one of his harness straps idly, lost in thought. "I don't suppose they'll be expecting any deliveries?"

wildwood on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The Party
    The Lands Below, Leveche (The Ranstead)
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War. Ceasefire Day 27

A few more hours of non sequitur conversation broken up by awkward silence later and you find yourselves almost at your destination. Despite the mildly comfortable seating, the ride is pleasant. The only indication of progress being made is the change of scenery outside. For the most part, the gates that are traversed seem to be inaccessible via normal means.

Gliding through another tunnel, the exterior view changes from dark cave to a deep orange on all sides. Muted lines of white cut their way through the orange. The detail outlining of the area outside is somewhat present but shudders at times. At the very least you can make out the columns of the structure that housed this gate chamber years ago. The circle of the sun is visible above you, though is light is dull, as if you were looking at it underwater.

"Well gents, we're here." Arlen says over the comm. A hissing sound came from the cockpit section, and moments later he appeared at the bulkhead separating the two sections. The console in the rear of the ship folded out and a map of the surroundings appeared above it. Unfortunately, it too did not provide much detail. A warning sign displayed at the center of the island. Occasionally numbers pop up in other areas, which seem to indicate wind velocities. Mixed in with a fairly large amount of "static" you could see some of the features of the island too:

levecheRegion_TR03S01.jpg

"Ranstead thinks those spots are all points of interest. Based off that map the bad-good guys gave you, their base is somewhere between Delta and Epsilon..." Arlen points that out on the map.

Each of the locations were probably in the valleys that cross-crossed the inner portions of the island, or at least you hoped so. That'd make transportation that much easier.

Decide on a location to go to, and give me 3 percentile rolls! WOOoOoOOOo, come on Gargantuan Sand Dragon Major Encounter!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Finn pauses for a moment. "I do like cantaloupe. Especially with whiskey." Pause. "Of course, with enough whiskey, just about anything tastes good..." More pause. "This scarf smells nice."

He looks the map over. "I like Delta, because it's central."

• Options
    "I'm liking Gamma, because it is far away from the giant hazard symbol, which would seem to be that horrible magical sandstorm."
    percentile x3: 1d100 73 1d100 42 1d100 35

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Hmm, good point. If the hazard symbol is to be avoided, maybe we should start with Beta, to keep clear of it."

Pause. "Maybe we could do something confusing, to get it to turn into a question mark?"

• Options
    "Beta for me. No hurry to dig into any more sandstorm than I need to."

• Options
    The Party

"What?" Mari looks at Finn.

"I think that's a great idea! I'll just fly us right inside..." Arlen looks at Finn as well. "But, really. Beta is the closest site, I don't think it'd hurt too much to check it out. Unless it does."

• Options
    "You're right," Keegan says thoughtfully, fingering the new fabric around his neck, "These do smell nice." After that, he looks at the map. "Yeah, beta looks good. I vote beta."

• Options
    "So, whats the plan once we get there? Try and make a beeline for where their base is supposed to be?" Endaren tries to strike up some sort of conversation to fill the uncomfortable void. Sure he'd just met these people, but he might be dying with them soon too.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Party

"So, the usual plan then?" Arlen responds before turning and walking back in the cockpit area. Shortly after, the hiss of his chair sliding into place is heard and you move out.

"I think once we get closer we can decide just how to get inside. Hopefully the storm won't be as bad where ever it is," Mari adds.

The console in the center of the passenger area sinks back into the floor and your harnesses tighten as the Ranstead begins to move. While descending the mountains the sandstorm in the area momentarily weakens enough to allow you to get a better glimpse of the terrain.

For as far as you can see the land appeared to be rather flat. The strong winds have managed to carve a complex series of canyons and valleys into the ground, partitioning the land into many mesas and buttes. Small drifts hover within the space between the mesas, their cores too weak for them to levitate into the atmosphere. The shifting column of sand that was Hell's Maw towered above the center of the island. A few drifts that did manage to get above the floor seem to orbit Hell's Maw, its winds propelling them along. Occasional flashes of lightning are visible in the more active areas the sandstorm.

The Ranstead continues to along the top of one of the mesas, white flashes of light filling the screens around you from time to time. As your visibility begins to fade again, the vessel ducks down into one of the valleys. Above you, a blanket of red and brown now consumes the sky, but winds keep the sands from blowing down into the valley itself. Small drifts hovered overhead, a few bouncing off the valley walls. (PNature - ) Paths in the valley that ran across the winds instead of along them would likely have higher visibility. However, this also meant that these areas would be more habitable. A sand drake or two flee from the path of the Ranstead, but the journey is otherwise rather peaceful.

"Alright, this is as close as I can get. You'll have to climb from here," Arlen says as he brings the vessel to a stop.

It took an hour to get to beta site.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    "Well, lets get a move on then." Endaren wraps the scarf they were given around his face and unhooks himself from his seat. The best way to get to know a man was to fight beside him. No doubt he would know these men quite well before the day was done.

• Options
    Finn unhooks and follows close behind. "Let's be sure to stay close together. We don't want to get separated in the sandstorms."

He eyes the dragonkind, hoping that his wings won't catch too much of the wind outside.

• Options
    Eron unbuckles and girds his loins, eager to take a look at the crazy stuff happening outside. From a safe distance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Keegan ties on his scarf, then prepares to exit the Ranstead. "Let's do this thing, gentlemen. For justice."

• Options
    "Aye, for justice and glory." And hopefully less sewage than last time...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The Party

"I'm going to stay back here," Mari says as you all prepare to disembark.

The rear hatch of Ranstead slides open and as it slides down the vessel's barrier begins to light up from sand particles hitting it. Passing through the barrier and outside, you find that the air is extremely dry and gritty. Normally, the intense heat from standing near the Ranstead would dissipate the further away you went from the vessel. On Leveche, it remains about the same. The shemaghs do a good job of making breathing a little easier, but already you begin to feel sand in places sand shouldn't be. (It'd feel like sitting in a car that's sat out in the sun with the windows up all day and the non-functional AC is blowing hot dirt around in your face.)

Prior to moving north, you take in some of the scenery. Everything is brown and rocky and seems devoid of life. Though your vision isn't impaired too badly by the storm, the constantly howling winds make it difficult to hear.

To his surprise (or dismay) Eron discovers that there's something wrong with his vision. What appears to be a compass has somehow superimposed itself over his eyes. Along the perimeter of the compass was a series of dots. The green dot pointing directly behind him, the red ones scattered all about. Before he could tell the others, he hears a message in his head.

"I only just found out that I could make that happen," Arlen says. As if their ability to speak into your minds wasn't unsettling enough.

With another equally stabby sensation, Finn too discovers his mind compass has returned. The nearest dot throbs toward a climbable section of wall just off to the north. The walls of the canyon are mostly smooth, with large nicks where floating drifts have gouged out chunks and softer rock has been worn away by the winds. (PNature - Eron or DC 21) Normally, this kind of erosion would take millions of years to occur, but given the consistent winds and dryness the process must have been greatly accelerated.

(I point that out to let you know that climbing the wall where indicated would be as easy as climbing a ladder: no rolls required. If you want you can do a more detailed survey of the area, or just go up.)

Ousaniel Nightbreeze
    The Lands Above, Papaver (Gate Chamber)

"Uhm, are you sure about this?" The Chambermaster looks down through the portal that you'd just requested to be opened. It looked like a massive sandstorm was on the other side. But the sigils you had entered were the ones on the Admiral's Writ. You'd many rumours of Admiral some kind of secret team to fighting against the Merkabans, but there was no evidence, at least until you recieved the writ and a silver shemagh.

You had tried hard to memorize every detail of the writ as it self-destructed in your hands. The Caretakers had decided to aid the Highborne in stopping the Merkabans. What had happened so far, everything about this seemed to make this mission sound impossible. Given that, leaping into this sandstorm only logical. While you stand there, the portal begins to sputter.

"I don't think this is going to stay open much longer!"

It was time to go…

(You can narrate your entering the portal, but you won't know what's on the other side. I'll also need three acrobatics rolls, please.)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    "Looks easy enough to climb up over there, who wants lead?"Endaren starts moving towards what looks to be the easiest spot to climb. He'd been in sandstorms on his previous deployments with the Knights, but this was...special.

I've actually been in a real sandstorm, they suuuuck. Hopefully we don't all get lungs full of sand like I did.

• Options
    srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ousaniel raised the shemagh over her face and glanced at the Chambermaster.

"As sure as I'm going to be. Once I'm through, shut the portal and replace the sigil panel. Dip the old one in acid. No mistakes and no chances - all evidence has to be gone."

The half-elf double checks all her weapons are secure, screws her eyes shut, puts her head down, and dives through into the blistering sandstorm like it was an afternoon dip in a river.

srboyceboat on
    Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • Options
    Eron follows close behind Endaren, grateful to have what looked like an easy climb for once. The relative ease of the climb however, came at the expense of visibility it seems, because he was having great difficulty making out anything useful.
    perception; nature; arcana: 1d20+11 17 1d20+11 22 1d20+17 18Criminy, a less impressive set of rolls has ne'er been seen.

steam_sig.png