As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

so about these animated shows on Fox...

ak74uak74u Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Debate and/or Discourse
The shows that everyone loves to hate are back. Personaly I thought that the season premiere of Family Guy was kinda weak but the American Dad episode was comedy gold

fake edit: It fell of a truktruck-truk

vlcsnap2480248ga6.png

thetrenches14qk.png
ak74u on

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    GRAMMAR POLICE SAY:

Fell off a truck truck truck.
    Fell of? That doesn't make any sense.
    By the way, Simpsons just needs to fire their entire writing staff, or die.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Simpsons needs to grow up.

Bart needs to become a genius. Lisa needs to join the military. Maggie needs to grow up and become a main character. Homer needs to not change at all but competely lose the respect of his son. Marge needs to find out that she has lupus and slowly loose her mind. Thus putting Homer in the strange situation of having to become responsible or accidently let his wife die. While also giving Lisa one more worry, not about her mom, but about how she has to take care of her mom and if she will do it perfectly enough.

First episode is a 17 year old Milhouse creepily putting the moves on a 11 and a half year old Maggie. Except he doesn't really realize what he is doing. He get's in trouble and exit's for the first season of the show. Also the bully characters all become either soldiers or cops. Head bully meets Lisa in basic, that's your second episode. All the while, because of his disattachtment from most forms of measure Bart sees the world from the outside, like Neo from the Matrix. He is slowly crazy but it that cool older brother sort of way. And he presents Maggie with challenges. One of which was Milhouse.

See, it just writes itself as soon as they grow up. Right now The Simpsons is the definition of stagnation.

The Simpsons in the Future? Simpsons Did It!

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I actually really liked Family Guy last night. They kept the flashbacks to a minimum, and had an actual plot. It wasn't just a half hour of "Remember that time when..." over and over and over.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

Bart needs to become a genius. Lisa needs to join the military. Maggie needs to grow up and become a main character. Homer needs to not change at all but competely lose the respect of his son. Marge needs to find out that she has lupus and slowly loose her mind. Thus putting Homer in the strange situation of having to become responsible or accidently let his wife die. While also giving Lisa one more worry, not about her mom, but about how she has to take care of her mom and if she will do it perfectly enough.

First episode is a 17 year old Milhouse creepily putting the moves on a 11 and a half year old Maggie. Except he doesn't really realize what he is doing. He get's in trouble and exit's for the first season of the show. Also the bully characters all become either soldiers or cops. Head bully meets Lisa in basic, that's your second episode. All the while, because of his disattachtment from most forms of measure Bart sees the world from the outside, like Neo from the Matrix. He is slowly crazy but it that cool older brother sort of way. And he presents Maggie with challenges. One of which was Milhouse.

See, it just writes itself as soon as they grow up. Right now The Simpsons is the definition of stagnation.

Fuck yeah, I like the way you think. Rugrats did that, didnt they?

aquabat on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    aquabat wrote:

Fuck yeah, I like the way you think. Rugrats did that, didnt they?

Correct. And I too like this idea.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    So that was the first four episodes. Episodes 5 through seasons end are about systematically passing all the limits of the original show. Some how making it just as sureal and funny as the original show. Some how Barny is still alive. The Flanders kids grow up and become totally cool. I am talking truly pimp. Letting go of their fathers funky nerdy christianity. They become like a laid back folk duo. Whole episode deals with Maggie going to one of their concerts and expecting to be hated but instead getting back stage passes and treated like the little sister the two brothers never had, in fact almost too perfect. Sinister conotations.

Mr Burns is still completely alive, somehow, Crabapple is Principle, Skinner is Superintendant, Superintendant is in the Philipines. The Arnold Swartzenaeger guy is Mayor. Moes Tavern is still there. Unchanged. Grampa is some how alive unchanged. But seriously every one is expecting to die any second. Which amuses him.

One episode uncovers how Bart's spending money comes from a webcomic he and Milhouse write and draw themselves called Dime Store. :wink:

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    So that was the first four episodes. Episodes 5 through seasons end are about systematically passing all the limits of the original show. Some how making it just as sureal and funny as the original show. Some how Barny is still alive. The Flanders kids grow up and become totally cool. I am talking truly pimp. Letting go of their fathers funky nerdy christianity. They become like a laid back folk duo. Whole episode deals with Maggie going to one of their concerts and expecting to be hated but instead getting back stage passes and treated like the little sister the two brothers never had, in fact almost too perfect. Sinister conotations.

Mr Burns is still completely alive, somehow, Crabapple is Principle, Skinner is Superintendant, Superintendant is in the Philipines. The Arnold Swartzenaeger guy is Mayor. Moes Tavern is still there. Unchanged. Grampa is some how alive unchanged. But seriously every one is expecting to die any second. Which amuses him.

One episode uncovers how Bart's spending money comes from a webcomic he and Milhouse write and draw themselves called Dime Store. :wink:

W-w-why did you stop? Keep going, dont stop.

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    aquabat wrote:

W-w-why did you stop? Keep going, dont stop.

So Maggie is 11 years old so that brings you into a whole realm of reality that both the almost todlers kids and the almost todler adults never really touched. Crushes are now learing older guys, fights are now picking up bart at the precinct. So how do we even keep this universe going? Through character. Bart doesn't ever get arrested. The kid is a mother freakin' genius. He is on the verge of becoming "Evasion kid" but would rather inspire Maggie to go off the grid. Maggie isn't scred of learing older guys. She has to deal with two siblings who are still the polar opposites of eachother to deal with and help with stuff. Instant message conversations with Lisa, wierd after party moments with older brother. Snowball 4 is a kitten and a light of life in the house. Razor sharp claws and all. Some how Snowball 4 never grows up, the last rememnants of the 80s and 90s where no one wants to grow up.

Like I said Instant Messages with big sister Lisa. The internet plays a sort of big role in the show. The show is written by us who grew up in the internet. It plays with some funny ideas like what is it like to be a sort of net geek (Bart and Lisa) and have a younger sister who never grew up with out broadband. It's the whole Gen X/Gen Y meets Gen Next one after that meets the future.

Al Gore stops by like almost twice a season if not more. Still with the wierd cameos. Crusty the Clown and Sideshow Bob are now both in Jail. I dunno, that might be a dreeam sequence or something. Help me out here.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I don't see why aqua thinks this is a good idea.
    In fact, I could say it sounds like the worst premise ever.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:

It stems from me being bart's age when he debuted and growing up into the consequences of living as a child wit out disipline but never having to see Bart have to deal with those same consequences. America loved Bart but I grew to hate him when I started to realize the value of skills and accredidation. However living a life outside of social norms with out fear has it's own rewards which I am only now starting to learn. So that is where this comes from. Not some desire for random colorful images.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:

It stems from me being bart's age when he debuted and growing up into the consequences of living as a child wit out disipline but never having to see Bart have to deal with those same consequences. America loved Bart but I grew to hate him when I started to realize the value of skills and accredidation. However living a life outside of social norms with out fear has it's own rewards which I am only now starting to learn. So that is where this comes from. Not some desire for random colorful images.
    I'm not feeling it. The Simpsons wasn't some sort of deep, enmeshed storyline where characters developed. It was just a well written, absurdist family sitcom. It just seems to me that you are trying to turn the Simpsons into something it never was.

edited because I actually read what you typed instead of just kind of skipping over it.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:

I'm not feeling it. The Simpsons wasn't some sort of deep, enmeshed storyline where characters developed. It was just a well written, absurdist family sitcom. It just seems to me that you are trying to turn the Simpsons into something it never was.

edited because I actually read what you typed instead of just kind of skipping over it.

Well you are right a 1 year old never was a 2 year old. I would call it growth. Maybe even change. Synonym: Evolution.

Edit: Plus I enjoy absurist family sitcoms still. Malcom in the Middle is awesome. I just relate to Bart a lot more then any one should and maybe I am not the only one who wanted to find out how Bart faired in comparison to myself.

Ghost Rider 2099 on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Okay, let me ask you this:
    Let's say I said "Futurama is slipping in quality. It needs to grow up. Instead of it being in the future, let's have them get transported and stuck in the civil war. Fry is enlisted by the Confederacy, and Leela is labeled a witch and burned at the stake. Because of this, Fry has become disillusioned and an alcoholic. He tries to commit suicide more than once, but is saved by one of his fellow privates. The show starts an even more depressing turn from there as Bender rusts over and dies, due to the inferior alcohol he has been trying to use to run his power cells. Fry then succeeds in slashing his wrists in the season finale, and the new character Private Johannesburg is the new star of Futurama."

Now I could say that it is taking a turn for the better, and that the show is "evolving". However, the premise is lost entirely. Your ideas are changing the premise of the show into some sort of serious-yet-still-has-its-moments show, which is something that it's not. Progress is fine, but not if it loses sight of the original heart of the idea.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    Let's say I said "Futurama is slipping in quality. It needs to grow up. Instead of it being in the future, let's have them get transported and stuck in the civil war. Fry is enlisted by the Confederacy, and Leela is labeled a witch and burned at the stake. Because of this, Fry has become disillusioned and an alcoholic. He tries to commit suicide more than once, but is saved by one of his fellow privates. The show starts an even more depressing turn from there as Bender rusts over and dies, due to the inferior alcohol he has been trying to use to run his power cells. Fry then succeeds in slashing his wrists in the season finale, and the new character Private Johannesburg is the new star of Futurama."

My simpsons would still be about The Simpsons where your show Futurama wouldn't be a futurama. Besides I can't comment on Futurama since I didn't have a TV when it was on regular TV. And I don't have cable now. On top of that I can't maintain interest where the main character is an idiot or funny dimbulb type character.

Season two of the Future Simpsons starts with an Instant Message conversation betwean Bart and Millhouse. Millhouse is living on his moms couch. His parents broke up. He is still drawing the comic DimeStore off his laptop. Mother lives in a mountain coal mine town. He is again a nerd among jocks. But this time he has some pocket money. That episode is basically a nature hike. It ends with Millhouse Driving off into the sunset in his moms car that he may have stolen, we don't know what happens. In the middle he get's a visit from the Ghost of the Stupid Psychiatrist guy. The ghost exlpains that it is his fault (millhouse was feeling lie a victim) that he got in trouble back at the simpson house but it all started with not manning up and getting with Lisa. No flashbacks not memory sequence just a wierd psychadelic trip with Millhouse and that wierd psychoanalist. The show also shows how important a mom's love is. Awww. It airs mothers day. Its titled "A Mother's Car"

Ghost Rider 2099 on
  • Options
    SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Wow I thought the family guy was excellent. Great pilot episode.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:

My simpsons would still be about The Simpsons where your show Futurama wouldn't be a futurama. Besides I can't comment on Futurama since I didn't have a TV when it was on regular TV. And I don't have cable now. On top of that I can't maintain interest where the main character is an idiot or funny dimbulb type character.

Season two of the Future Simpsons starts with an Instant Message conversation betwean Bart and Millhouse. Millhouse is living on his moms couch. His parents broke up. He is still drawing the comic DimeStore off his laptop. Mother lives in a mountain coal mine town. He is again a nerd among jocks. But this time he has some pocket money. That episode is basically a nature hike. It ends with Millhouse Driving off into the sunset in his moms car that he may have stolen, we don't know what happens. In the middle he get's a visit from the Ghost of the Stupid Psychiatrist guy. The ghost exlpains that it is his fault (millhouse was feeling lie a victim) that he got in trouble back at the simpson house but it all started with not manning up and getting with Lisa. No flashbacks not memory sequence just a wierd psychadelic trip with Millhouse and that wierd psychoanalist. The show also shows how important a mom's love is. Awww. It airs mothers day. Its titled "A Mother's Car"

I want to drill a hole into your skull and run a cable from your brain to my TV. It would be much better than regular cable.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm more with Kusu. You're describing a different show. One that might have potential to be better than the Simpsons, but which the Simpsons could not gracefully morph into.

I could even see your show being run as a seperate piece of meta-fiction, appropriating Springfield in the way that Wicked appropriates the land of Oz or Grendel appropriates, well, Grendel. However, it doesn't work as just the next season of the Simpsons.

MrMister on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    They should cancel the Simpsons and take the time to make sure the new Futurama episodes are just as good as the old ones.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I actually think that idea sounds like it could be great TV if it was done right but I think you'd have to end the Simpsons and leave it dead for a few years ( three to five?) before it would ever be accepted. I can almost hear the cries of outrage now if they tried that before letting The Simpsons as we know them fade from TV for awhile.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My simpsons would still be about The Simpsons where your show Futurama wouldn't be a futurama.

No your show would have the Simpsons as cast members and setting, and that's about the only passing resemblance to the show as it has been. It is not a soap opera with a continuing story line episode to episode leading to a dramatic ____ around sweeps or season finale. Each episode is a story within itself, they just need to go back to making good stories that don't focus on homer being moronic (remember when he was just foolish?).

That's the problem in a nutshell, IMO. They focus on one character in general, but with the most recent one being Homer they took it to an idiotic extreme that just ruins the character. Undo that and you might get a good season out of 'em yet.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    also, stop having a celebrity every. fucking. episode.

aquabat on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    I don't think it's so much the celebrities, just how poorly they tend to be worked into the show.

I mean, one of my favorite episodes is Homer at the Bat. It can be done, provided the writing is good.

Elendil on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    His premise may be iffy but the man makes a good point: The Simpsons was a perfect 90s show but it's really failed to be relevant in more recent years. It's whole tone is very dated and when it tries to deal with modern topics like the internet it fails horribly(The Mr. X epsidoe being the one glorious exception).

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    aquabat wrote:
    I don't think it's so much the celebrities, just how poorly they tend to be worked into the show.

I mean, one of my favorite episodes is Homer at the Bat. It can be done, provided the writing is good.

A lot of the recent episodes contain celeberties just so they can say they have them. Most of the time instead of working them into the episode they just appear so they can say something like "Hey! It's (insert celebrity's name here)!"

Though what I miss is when they were occasionally creating characters for celebrities to voice instead of just having the celebrity appear in the show.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Tyrant526Tyrant526 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spackle wrote:

Agreed, the grainy rape recalls were great.

"Relax, I'm a doctor" *Evil laugh*

However, best laugh of the night goes to American Dad:

*Roger makes a dramatic pause*

*Cleans glasses*

"Why don't you tell them how you killed our baby".

:lol::lol::lol:

It was so fucking unexpected.

Tyrant526 on
    Maul360.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:

The only thing I really want to point out is that you didn't need to say his parents have split up. Anyone who watches the Simpsons knows that they have been broken up for about nine years now. It happened in the eighth(non sequiter: no matter how many times I type "eighth" it looks wrong. Did I spell it wrong?) season. Also, as moniker has stated, you are just taking Simpsons characters and putting them in a totally different setting then what they are meant for.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I actually thought the truck truck truck gag was funny, not hysterical, but just funny

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    "Angry Dad", for me, sets the bar for quality Simpsons. The story revolves around Bart's web-toon which also had some silly jabs at web-toons in general. But it still retained enough of the other characters and there "primary" role in the show. Especially Homer. An episode of the Simpsons can still have a lot of Homer, but not base the story on him.

And come on, seeing homer fight with a lawn chair, then he disappears out of the scene. Bart completes his comic and you hear more Homer muttering followed by "Ah! I'm on fire!" truly is a Simpsons moment.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spackle wrote:
    "Angry Dad", for me, sets the bar for quality Simpsons. The story revolves around Bart's web-toon which also had some silly jabs at web-toons in general. But it still retained enough of the other characters and there "primary" role in the show. Especially Homer. An episode of the Simpsons can still have a lot of Homer, but not base the story on him.

And come on, seeing homer fight with a lawn chair, then he disappears out of the scene. Bart completes his comic and you hear more Homer muttering followed by "Ah! I'm on fire!" truly is a Simpsons moment.
    The hi-light is Stan Lee trying to turn into the hulk, and then moaning that he really did it, once.

Edit: Also, whoeverheis's proposed Simpsons changes are goddamned retarded. The show was at its best, not when it did the whole continuity and personal growth bullshit (in fact, the fact they're trying to do any of that now hurts the show a lot), but when it was doing obscure movie parodies and zany non-sequiters. Monorail, Homer at the Bat, the Cat Burglar, etc, etc.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Tyrant526 wrote:
    Spackle wrote:

Agreed, the grainy rape recalls were great.

"Relax, I be doctor" *Evil laugh*

Fixed. :lol:

And GR, what you just described is The OC* with Simpsons characters in there.

*Why is that show still on the air? Shouldn't all the characters have killed themselves by now?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Spackle wrote:

The hi-light is Stan Lee trying to turn into the hulk, and then moaning that he really did it, once.

Edit: Also, whoeverheis's proposed Simpsons changes are goddamned retarded. The show was at its best, not when it did the whole continuity and personal growth bullshit (in fact, the fact they're trying to do any of that now hurts the show a lot), but when it was doing obscure movie parodies and zany non-sequiters. Monorail, Homer at the Bat, the Cat Burglar, etc, etc.
    Thank you Senjutsu.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Spackle wrote:

Totally agreed. Who can forget "The Garbage man can!" or even "Mr. Plow". In fact, the episodes where there was little to no concentration on a celeberity or sports star always ranked the highest for me. I loved the episode where Homer's jaw was broken by the gold statue of Drederick Tatum(sp?). He got chased out by movie usher's with giant kit-kats.

High-larious!

Spackle on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I like the one's where there's a celebrity and you don't really realize it until much later because they don't show up a themselves.
    Case in point, Johnny Cash's "Talking Coyote"

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Kusugattai wrote:
    I like the one's where there's a celebrity and you don't really realize it until much later because they don't show up a themselves.
    There are good and bad examples. The one with Sarah Michelle Geller as a juvenile delinquent is pretty lame, though through no fault of her own.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Kusugattai wrote:
    There are good and bad examples. The one with Sarah Michelle Geller as a juvenile delinquent is pretty lame, though through no fault of her own.
    Well, I guess I just love the insanity peppers episode way too much.

"Mister! You're about to drink a candle! You don't want wax in your mouth do you?"
    "Maybe I do son. Maybe I do."

"Oh, and that talking coyote was just that talking dog!"
    "Find your soulmate Homer!"
    "Wait a minute, dogs can't talk!"
    "Bark bark!"

Also there was an episode with Christina Ricci as a tweenage kid that lisa wants to be friends with in the season finale of the seventh season

Also the whole "Hollapalooza" episode is awesome.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpinks"
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    "Insanity peppers" is pure genious. I love when he looks at his pupils.

Spackle on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spackle wrote:
    "Insanity peppers" is pure genious. I love when he looks at his pupils.
    "In your face, Space Coyote!"

"This is just your memory. I can’t give you any new information."

Man, that episode is awesome.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited September 2006
    Everyone knows the best episode is the one with the Lemon Tree.

"This whole search is as futile as that yellow, lemon shaped rock over there... Hey, there's a lemon behind that rock!"

Menace on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As far as modern Simpsons episodes go, last night's wasn't bad.

The worst episode has to be the prescription drugs from Canada one. Jesus Christ that was a terrible episode. I think I could have written a better episode.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Treeloot wrote:
    As far as modern Simpsons episodes go, last night's wasn't bad.

The worst episode has to be the prescription drugs from Canada one. Jesus Christ that was a terrible episode. I think I could have written a better episode.
    The worst episode was the "Simpsons go to Britain" one. The guest appearance by Blair just makes me sick.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg