As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An American Carol?

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=1284&item=0

Just... Just...

WOW.

I can't tell if this is conservatives making fun of liberals, or liberals making fun of how conservatives see them.

For those that can't watch the trailer at work or something...
An American Carol is an upcoming 2008 comedy film that spoofs A Christmas Carol from a contemporary conservative view of liberal American culture, particularly Hollywood.[1] The film moves the setting of the story from Christmas to Independence Day. It is written by Myrna Sokoloff and David Zucker who also directed it. The movie stars Kevin Farley (brother of Chris Farley), Kelsey Grammer, Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper, Jillian Murray and Leslie Nielsen.[2] The film is in post-production and is set to be released in early October 2008.

Charismatic left-wing activist and filmmaker Michael Malone (Kevin Farley) does not believe in celebrating the Fourth of July holiday. Malone, who believes that United States is a nation of iniquity, truculently argues to the American people that America's past and present is offensive and not worth celebrating. Malone is then visited by three ghosts akin to A Christmas Carol who try to make him rethink himself and America.

Is this for real? Or has it reached some sort of quantum superposition level of satire in which it is making fun of both sides, and neither at the same time?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    A new Zucker flick? Fuck that.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Michael Moore is relevant anymore?

Couscous on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trivia from IMDB about the writer/director (who, incidentally co-wrote and directed Airplane! and several episodes of Police Squad):
    Converted to the Republican Party in 2004, and made several anti-Democrat political ads.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked Airplane, but I also blame it for all of those shit -movies that basically make a ton of shitty jokes and hope something sticks.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Zucker, Zucker and Abrams were cool way back when. Nowadays the paroy genre has been driven into the fucking group.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just from the trailer, it just amuses me that while it seems to be trying to lampoon liberals, all it does is make them look even more incoherent than normal. 'Them' being the right-wing I guess. The exact opposite effect that they seem to be trying to achieve.

I seriously can't tell who is being satired here.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2008
    That was painful to watch. On par with the [Insert] Movie franchise.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    That was painful to watch. On par with the [Insert] Movie franchise.

Worse. It seems to be out to lower my opinion of all the actors and writers and such involved.

Man, I loved Naked Gun as a kid. :(

shryke on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't imagine anything Dennis Hopper takes part in being too right wing.

Duki on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I laughed.

Speaker on
  • Options
    matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jon Voight's written some wingnut columns for the Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/28/voight/

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Duki wrote: »

Rosie O'donnel?

I assumed this was the centre making fun of the rest.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    matisyahu wrote: »
    Jon Voight's written some wingnut columns for the Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/28/voight/

Huh. Maybe that's why his kids hate him.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    please tell me that ten minutes in to the film Michael Malone reunites the original members of Ghost Busters so that they could defeat the evil rightwing ghosts and the rest of the movie is in fact Ghost Busters 3.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2008

Hopper is a Republican.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »

Rosie O'donnel?

I assumed this was the centre making fun of the rest.

Watch again.

They said Rosie O'Connel.

It's some sort of impersonator. I'm sure there will be some terrible Lesbian jokes there.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe someone should point out that Ebeneezer Scrooge was a founding member of the Club for Growth.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm glad they're too stupid to realize that bad movies have the opposite effect of good movies.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    I'm glad they're too stupid to realize that bad movies have the opposite effect of good movies.

Also they don't seem to realize that Scrooge was a conservative who became a liberal.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Also they don't seem to realize that Scrooge was a conservative who became a liberal.

What? No, he started out as a Godless science-worshipper waging the War on Christmas and only when touched by the ineffable did he realize the importance of tradition and family!

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Feral wrote: »

What? No, he started out as a Godless science-worshipper waging the War on Christmas and only when touched by the ineffable did he realize the importance of tradition and family!

And he was fat too!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow. Trace Adkins is in it. Motherfucker LOVES him some America. And Ford trucks, I can only assume.

This is going to be Colbert's favorite movie of all time. Papa Bear is even in it.

Now, with that many conservatives in the cast, can this be a parody of conservative views? Could those dudes be so dense they signed up for a movie that lampoons their views?

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wow. Trace Adkins is in it. Motherfucker LOVES him some America. And Ford trucks, I can only assume.

This is going to be Colbert's favorite movie of all time. Papa Bear is even in it.

Now, with that many conservatives in the cast, can this be a parody of conservative views? Could those dudes be so dense they signed up for a movie that lampoons their views?

Never underestimate how dense O'Reilly can be.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Hopper is a Republican.

The fuck?

Duki on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Hopper is a Republican.

The fuck?

Yeah this is somewhat recent I believe.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    James Woods? Noooooo :(

Sami on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Woods is a Republican, and he was a vocal supporter of U.S. President George W. Bush and former Mayor of New York Rudy Giuliani. Woods lobbied hard to play Giuliani in the biopic Rudy: The Rudy Giuliani Story, and considers the role one of the favorites of his career.[5]

I am heartbroken.

Sami on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Never underestimate how dense O'Reilly can be.

Oh god, this is just like Dr. Phil being in Scary Movie 14 or whichever one that was.

This seems to be a bunch of dense conservatives that think they are lampooning liberals, when in reality their incompetence in doing so (and horribleness of the movie) will have the opposite effect.

I kinda want to see this, to laugh at, but obviously don't really want to pay money for it.

Either way this looks like some horrible train wreck and I want to keep tabs on it.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't tell if this is conservatives making fun of liberals, or liberals making fun of how conservatives see them.
    It's making the Medved/Hannity circuit as "the funniest movie in years" and "something that people with family values will enjoy".

Which basically means that it will be about as entertaining as an anal fissure.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    please tell me that ten minutes in to the film Michael Malone reunites the original members of Ghost Busters so that they could defeat the evil rightwing ghosts and the rest of the movie is in fact Ghost Busters 3.

I would pay all of my dollars to see this movie made.

Also, I'm crossing my fingers that this movie seriously ruins some major careers. John Voight's a fucking asshole anyway.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to admit, I think Kelsey Grammer makes a good caricature of Gen. Patton.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe we'll get lucky and this entire movie will get scrapped and be relaunched as Kesleys Grammers "Ghost Patton" that i might consider watching.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm surprised Dennis Miller isn't involved.

Gim on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Maybe we'll get lucky and this entire movie will get scrapped and be relaunched as Kesleys Grammers "Ghost Patton" that i might consider watching.

You mean like a cross between Platoon and Ghost Dad? A general dies in battle, but returns to lead his army in ghost form, now Ghost Patton has to spook the enemy and try to avoid the investigations of the evangelical Field Marshall. Crazy slapstick hijinks ensue.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I can't help but wonder...

When we make fun of them, do they see us looking this ridiculous? Like, when Farenheit 9/11 showed, did they just sit there going "Well, this is sad. They're doing the work for us."

I'd like to think we're better at satire than this. But now I wonder if it's just due to my perspective.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

You mean like a cross between Platoon and Ghost Dad? A general dies in battle, but returns to lead his army in ghost form, now Ghost Patton has to spook the enemy and try to avoid the investigations of the evangelical Field Marshall. Crazy slapstick hijinks ensue.

That would work, but i was thinking that the ghost of General Patton must watch over his wacky stoner descendant after he's drafted into the army during the Vietnam War.

Both terrible ideas for movies, both miles ahead of An American Carol.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love how the very same liberals that proclaimed Michael Moore as some sort of rebel and heroic filmmaker just a few years ago are falling all over themselves to say how irrelevant he is because he is the target of ridicule in a comedy that has conservatives in it.

Not to mention how personally many are taking it that their favorite actor could possibly hold conservative views. How unenlightened they must be! James Woods being a republican isn't the end of the world, folks. You've still got the other 95% of Hollywood.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love how the very same liberals that proclaimed Michael Moore as some sort of rebel and heroic filmmaker just a few years ago are falling all over themselves to say how irrelevant he is because he is the target of ridicule in a comedy that has conservatives in it.

I don't know that you were paying attention to this place a few years ago if that's what you think.
    Not to mention how personally many are taking it that their favorite actor could possibly hold conservative views. How unenlightened they must be! James Woods being a republican isn't the end of the world, folks. You've still got the other 95% of Hollywood.

It's disappointing as hell. It's like finding out they're 9/11 conspiracy theorists, only they're more politically relevant.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

It's disappointing as hell. It's like finding out they're 9/11 conspiracy theorists, only they're more politically relevant.[/QUOTE]

Comparing a Republican/Conservative to a 9/11 conspiracy theorist is exactly the kind of smug political self-righteousness that I'm talking about. Just because someone has a different party affiliation or political philosophy than you do doesn't mean they're automatically some raving lunatic.

Edit: broken quote tree; I'm really tired.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008

Hopper is a Republican.

The fuck?

Yeah this is somewhat recent I believe.

Hopper is, according to many accounts, a world-class douchebag. Beating up girlfriends, pulling a knife on Rip Torn and then lying about it and then losing a slander case Torn bought and thus being a proven lying fuck, taking all the credit for Easy Rider, general assholery, etc.

Bogart on